SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-11 12:54:54

wench
#! CrunchBanger
Website

#! on Dell Inspiron Mini

Hey all,

I've just purchased a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 and was wondering if there's any experience on the forums of people installing #! on them. I know iggykoopa has got one, anyone else got any news about what works/doesn't work with either #! Lite or CrunchEEE?

Cheers in advance...

Arch64/Xmonad | @mo6020 on Identica

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-01-11 14:50:40

rfquerin
Inkscape Ninja
Website

Re: #! on Dell Inspiron Mini

While I have not got a Mini 9, I was seriously looking at ordering one soon. I'd be really interested to hear how it goes. I was figuring I would likely put #! on it too. The reviews I've read are pretty good.

#3 2009-01-11 15:28:48

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Hi there, I do not have a Dell Mini, but they look pretty cool!
As you probably already know, the Mini 9 is sold with Ubuntu, and #! is an Ubuntu derivative.

Dell's preinstalled Ubuntu is a special "remix" that uses the new lpia kernel. This has its pros and cons compared to the regular kernel, from what I've read. Some Mini 9 users have decided to replace Dell's lpia Ubuntu with "regular" Ubuntu, and you should be able to find instructions to do this on http://www.ubuntuforums.org or sites like http://www.ubuntumini.com/.

Cruncheee uses the eeepc-lean kernel, so you definitely don't want to use that! #! Full and #! Lite use the regular Ubuntu kernel, so either of those would be my suggestion. Give it a try as a Live CD/USB and let us know how it goes!

/hugged

#4 2009-01-11 15:44:47

wench
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Ah yes, I forgot CrunchEEE uses the special EEE kernel, I guess i'll be installing the Lite version, then...

Unfortunately I've ended up with an XP version, so I've not got access to the Dell mix of Ubuntu (though i've found an ISO for it on BitTorrent). I'll mostly be trying #! Lite and the Ubuntu Netbook Remix....

I'll be posting a review on here when I get a chance.

If anyone has any other suggestions they'd be most welcome.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

#5 2009-01-11 17:34:55

iggykoopa
Script Master

from playing around the netbook remix is better than the dell version...at least I prefer it. I keep switching back and forth from #! to the netbook remix, both of them run very well on the mini, you can't go wrong with either of them. Only thing I had to fix was the sound issue, there are instructions in the dell section of the ubuntu forums. Basically just add a line to one file.

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#6 2009-01-11 19:12:36

wench
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Sweet, I'm dead excited about it arriving now, though i've promised it too my wife sad

I've made her agree that I get to play with it first though, lol.

Board footer