SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-23 06:18:14

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie

[solved-ish] (no idea why) kernel parameters - specifically sda=stroke

Having trouble with a Toshiba Satellite L10

Owing to their messed up CMOS setup, it's impossible to enable 48bit LBA, even though utilities indicate the BIOS supports it, consequently I need to pass the parameter

sda=stroke

to the kernel.

I'm not having much success doing so however, either for the bunsen live session or install, I'm sure it's just me doing something stupid, but some guidance would be helpful at this juncture.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2015-09-29 20:08:58)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-09-23 06:46:33

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: [solved-ish] (no idea why) kernel parameters - specifically sda=stroke

Highlight the BunsenLabs entry in the GRUB menu and press "e" then add your parameter to the end of the line that starts with "linux" (no quotation marks) and press <Ctrl>+x (at the same time) to boot the modified entry.

To make this permanent in the installed system, edit /etc/default/grub and change the "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX" line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="sda=stroke"

Then use:

sudo update-grub

#3 2015-09-23 15:58:07

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie

Thanks, unfortunately, no effect at all, I still only see the first 128GiB
I've also tried passing the parameter when booting the Gentoo minimal install cd, purely because it's documented clearly on their wiki, still no effect..
The only circumstance under which I can see the entire drive is by booting gparted live, that shows the remaining 100 ish GiB without even supplying any parameters.

Previously I've been using DDO on the drive (Ontrack Disk Manager), however both dynamic drive overlays, and windows are evil and unreliable, and I was rather hoping to get away from both.. Particularly as being only a 1.5GHz Pentium-m it really struggles with any supported windows version, was sluggish enough with XP... though with DDO in place Windows does see the whole drive.

#4 2015-09-23 18:34:47

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

How big is the hard drive? Would it be possible to remap your partitions to get around the limit? For instance, separate root, home, swap and possibly data partitions?

#5 2015-09-24 06:25:01

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie

tknomanzr wrote:

How big is the hard drive? Would it be possible to remap your partitions to get around the limit? For instance, separate root, home, swap and possibly data partitions?

That's the idea, the problem being I can't make Bunsen see the space I've got mentally earmarked for video storage.

I'm also officially stumped the existing GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX is:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="initrd=/install/initrd.gz"

I've tried both prepending and appending sda=stroke inside the quotes, no effect...
gparted live sees the whole drive, and that runs on a debian base, so it must be possible to make the system see it, but I've no longer any idea how.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2015-09-24 09:25:37)

#6 2015-09-26 17:41:52

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie

Thought I'd got there..

Minimal netinstall of Squeeze - which sees the drive properly without encouragement
change sources & dist upgrade to Wheezy
rinse & repeat to Jessie..
all went well.. booted into minimal Jessie with no issues..
Ran the netinstall script for BL
Ended up stuck at a grub prompt, with an unbootable system.. oh well..

Oddly now squeeze partitioned the whole drive, the Gentoo install cd accepts sda=stroke as a boot parameter and sees the entire drive, but I still can't get either the Jessie netinstall CD or BL DVD to do so.  Or the BL install to a plugged usb drive, as yet..

Not given up though, I'll report back if/when I solve it.

#7 2015-09-26 21:52:46

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Ok, so if the Jessie netinstall works but the Live ISO doesnt, then it is likely something to do with the Live installer, which as I understand it, is not an exact replica of a Debian netinstall, though it does look similar. Would you be comfortable doing a BunsenLabs netinstall? If you have no issues getting internet connectivity it is really just one command from the console and @johnraff's script takes care of the rest pretty nicely.

#8 2015-09-27 11:55:56

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie

tknomanzr wrote:

Ok, so if the Jessie netinstall works but the Live ISO doesnt, then it is likely something to do with the Live installer, which as I understand it, is not an exact replica of a Debian netinstall, though it does look similar. Would you be comfortable doing a BunsenLabs netinstall? If you have no issues getting internet connectivity it is really just one command from the console and @johnraff's script takes care of the rest pretty nicely.

Sadly the Jessie netinstall doesn't work directly, the newest netinstall that does is squeeze 8)
from there it is possible to dist-upgrade to Wheezy without issue*
from there it is also possible to dist-upgrade to Jessie

I didn't try Squeeze to Jessie directly, being a completely unsupported path, each of the 2 steps is documented though.

If I then run @johnraff's script, my bare Jessie install becomes unbootable stopping at a screen with some guff about bash-like editing and a prompt like:

GRUB>   

My intention when I get time is to repeat the entire process, to see if the script changes the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX and how it does so if it does.
At that point I'll have a clue what edits to make on the cmdline for the Jessie variants to see the drive correctly as I'll have a working example to crib from ]:D I can't seem to get the thing right manually :8
Sadly I rather stupidly missed that step before running @johnraff's script, otherwise I may have been able to edit the grub config and update grub to get a working system from a live session, even if I had to intervene manually to get full access after booting that.

My other option is to simply sacrifice 113GB of capacity  mad

* provided you don't use encrypted-lvm, else you get broken deps and apt complains

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

UPDATE

The solution to the borked netinstall is to use a live cd that will accept the kernel parameter, I used a gentoo minimal install image, chroot into the borked netinstall and reinstall grub from the commandline.

Once I have a working BL install that way, inexplicably, the live session and installer both see it correctly, and I was able to install directly using the live DVD, which got me the encrypted LVM I wanted over the full capacity of the drive.

Marking the thead as "[solved-ish]"

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2015-09-29 20:07:39)

Board footer