SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-20 22:39:59

poulain

RC1 test and suggestions

I was very happy when I discovered an iso was available because I was afraid by the git repository (too complicated for me).
So I installed it and I noticed some issues I would like to share. If I find the solution, of course, I will post it here. I you want any precision or want me to reproduce any issue or look in some log, ask me.

When scrolling on the empty desktop, we can see as many little icons as desktops (default is two). The current used to be black and the others gray in #!. But both are black here.

By the way, how can I get the menu to add/delete a new virtual desktop ? I got it once by trying right click and other things but have been unable to reproduce it : a right click on the tint bar just shows the menu.

Maybe conky shows the shortcut but after resume, it disappears (I tried "reload conkys" from the menu unsuccessfully).

I think there is too much space between icons in the tint bar.

I would like not having to login after resuming from sleep but just login at startup. I tried menu->preferences->power management->system->unchecked lock screen when sleeping but this has no effect (works under another debian xfce install).

So I tried changing lightdm.conf, uncommenting autologin-user=username but at startup, no login is required and when the computer sleeps, login is required at resume!

I am also looking for a way to propose the last login at startup (I changed greeter-hise-users=false) but had not restarted yet, will see if this works.

You might have notice I am not good at english, how can I enable the support of another language ? I mean some programs are in my language (geany) whereas others aren't (iceweasel). If there is a place where I can propose translations for what is Bunsen Labs specific, I can try.

When I use my laptop special key to mute, I cannot unmute with the same key. I have to open alsamixer... I have the same problem with my other debian xfce install though.

I had to manually enable the double pointer ability on my touchpad (in autostart) but it does not work after resuming from sleep (for what I have noticed) whereas the horizontal double pointer scrolling works! It looks like double pointer is not really well supported and this might be why it was not enabled ...

Is there a plugin for thunar to have the same tree ability as in nautilus (when you click the arrow that is before the folder name, you can recursively see the contents of sub folders) ?

Is it possible to map the super key in order to display the menu (or something else that would be configurable) ?

Pressing the power button should display the menu but it is not the case (nothing happens) ; Works under debian xfce (but with another computer). I know the signal sent by pressing such buttons can vary with computers.

In terminator, is there a keyboard shortcut to scroll line by line ?

Is there a keyboard shortcut to emulate a right click ?

Is gigolo really useful ?

I want to congratulate all the people who developed Bunsen Labs because except points I mentioned earlier, everything work fine and many things where enhanced since #!

Thank you.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-09-20 23:41:18

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: RC1 test and suggestions

<keybind key="">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>true</enabled>
          <name>Toggle mute</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>amixer set Master toggle</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

Last edited by damo (2015-09-20 23:43:56)

#3 2015-09-21 00:08:00

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#4 2015-09-21 01:18:34

johnraff
nullglob
Website

sudo apt-get install iceweasel-l10n-fr

#5 2015-09-22 21:08:25

poulain

Thank you for your answers.
I tried changing themes with no effect. I don't have any themerc file either.
But I had to abandon any further investigation because my PC had become unusable!
Everything became slow, I really don't know why.
So, I disabled every optional lines in autostart (conky, compositor, ...).
I noticed there where something like apt-xapian-update where running in the background so I did apt-get remove apt-xapian-update.
I did also apt-get upgrade : linux-image was installed by the process.
What I noticed is that X process always takes about 30% to 60% of the CPU power.
The command htop show is /usr/bin/X :0 -seat -seat0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten ...
I did also use gsmartcontrol to be sure the hard drive was ok.
Why is the problem happening now ?
How can I find what is wrong ?
I tried looking at the log in /var/log, nothing seemed wrong but I'm really not an expert ...

Thank you.

#6 2015-09-22 22:27:38

damo
#! gimpbanger

#7 2015-09-23 07:43:02

poulain

The hardware is a laptop Compaq 6730b.
I never started Synaptic, never used it and did not know it was installed on the system (but it makes sense since xapian... was installed).
Of course, using iceweasel is the main goal but even while not started, everything is really slow (eg. just trying to change the theme was a burden).

#8 2015-09-23 14:47:40

hhh
Cityspeak

Did it run slow in Live mode, before you installed it?

#9 2015-09-23 21:15:34

poulain

I did not run the live mode before installing.
But what I've just tried it : it's slow (the same) !
The question is why it became sluggish only few days after the install.
I have to admit that it used the laptop used to run Windows and I changed the system because it became slow.
So if it is hardware related do you have any idea of what could I do to troubleshoot ?
I tested another live (handylinux), and I was able to use iceweasel to browse the web. But if it is an hardware and moreover erratic ...

#10 2015-09-24 05:56:36

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie

The favourite hardware slowdown is usually a hard drive on it's last legs, wouldn't explain an exessively slow live session, but running live sessions is notoriously slow anyway.
Laptop hard drives are particularly prone to damage from bumps or sudden movement, and will sometimes cause slowdowns as the drive firmware is busy doing retries on reads to get a good one, my usual approach with that is to boot any available Linux live session then

sudo badblocks -svn /dev/sdX

where X is the drive in question, usually sda.
If that shows more than one or two errors, then it's certainly time for a new drive, if no errors are shown, it's still remarkable how many times the machine in question speeds up appreciably (even windows boxes) when booted back to the main OS.
Be aware that it can take days to complete over huge modern drives though.

Booted laptops with mechanical drives should be handled the way you would a tray with a bowl of soup on it, changes in orientation cause gyroscopic effects which can distort the platters while they're spinning enough to cause head crashes, or data to be written slightly off track. Running badblocks as indicated with the machine sat on a nice level surface will ensure all data is readable, and is freshly written back centrally to the data track with maximum chance it will subsequently read first time, with no delays for retries or the drive trying to map in replacements for damaged sectors.

I always run badblocks on used laptops that come into my possession for this reason. You have no clue how the previous owner treated them while running.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

#11 2015-09-24 17:54:55

poulain

Pass completed, 0 bad blocks found. (0/0/0 errors)

#12 2015-09-24 18:41:25

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

sudo badblocks -svn /dev/sdX

#13 2015-09-24 21:02:33

poulain

Who wants to laugh ?
It was the AC adapter (not genuine). On battery, everything is fine ...
In fact, I have to admit I already noticed some strange behavior (on another computer) with this AC adapter (shaking pointer while using the touch pad).
Don't know what smiley is appropriate ...  cry  roll  mad  big_smile

#14 2015-09-24 21:04:13

damo
#! gimpbanger

When all else fails - blame the hardware! Glad you got it sorted out smile

#15 2015-09-24 21:15:46

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#16 2015-09-24 21:32:18

poulain

That's the smiley I was looking for!
So now, I have to find a quality replacement adapter that is not more expansive than the laptop itself and then I will be able to pursue my experiments with BunsenLabs!
Have you ever seen such a problem due to the power supply ?

#17 2015-09-24 22:06:27

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie

@Sector11 last time I ran badblocks in non destructive r/w mode on my mum's pc (320 GB hard drive) it took circa 7 hours attached to a SATA 2 port SATA 3 would be faster.. SATA 1 slower, and PATA I don't want to think about..

@OP glad you got it sorted.

Unlike my issues in another thread, where I can't get Bunsen, or vanilla Jessie, or Wheezy to see my whole hard drive chopped off at 137GB/128GiB, would you believe ETCH installs without issue and sees the full 250GB, without even passing boot parameters, can't seem to get any recent distro to see the lot though .... still investigating.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

#18 2015-09-24 23:00:38

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

24 Sep 15 | 19:44:56 ~
    $ dmesg | grep -i sata | grep 'link up'
[    1.943308] ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 300)

24 Sep 15 | 19:44:58 ~
    $ 

Board footer