SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-18 20:00:46

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

Time for a new cellphone at work. What should I go for?

I have finally decided to retire my work-phone. Among its ailments are a busted head-set, flaky head-set/charger connector and it is not supported by Sony/Windo$e/our IT department so it can not tell me about upcoming events in my calendar. I have had it since spring 2008. The battery time is still very good and call quality is quite OK if I don't use that head-set.

My employer calls the shots and pay the phone bill but I have some freedom of choice:

• Android or IOS.

• A few Sonys, a couple of Samsungs and maybe some more on the Android side of things.

• A couple of Apples.

• No real high-end phones.

Requirements (sort of):

• This is a work tool so making/receiving calls and being up-to-date regarding my schedule (Outlook based) are the primary concerns.

• Comfortably pocketable trumps film watching experience -- shows how old I am...

• Engineering apps will be studied in due time

• Recreational surfing comes a very distant .. 28th on my list

I am pretty much agnostic regarding Android vs IOS, and Google and Apple looking over my shoulder is my employer's problem. I just want this phone to not get in my way. W7 on an HP laptop is enough trouble...

Thoughts guys?

/Martin

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-09-18 20:16:42

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: Time for a new cellphone at work. What should I go for?

I am awfully happy with my Samsung S4.  Large enough screen for me to be able to read everything, not big enough to call a phablet, and powerful enough to not have to deal with stutter and lag when using the more taxing apps.

#3 2015-09-18 20:39:14

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

MartinRF wrote:

Everything on your list should work fine on both iOS and Android, except for this one. As far as I know, you can not sideload/install apps on your iPhone without registering a developer account (and thus paying a fee to Apple) or jailbreaking your phone. On Android, it just works.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#4 2015-09-18 20:59:23

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

Unia wrote:
MartinRF wrote:

Everything on your list should work fine on both iOS and Android, except for this one. As far as I know, you can not sideload/install apps on your iPhone without registering a developer account (and thus paying a fee to Apple) or jailbreaking your phone. On Android, it just works.

I am not planning on developing anything myself -- if that makes a difference.

/Martin

#5 2015-09-18 21:09:15

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Ah, I think it does. Depends on what you mean with engineering apps. If it involves installing apps not from the store, Android is still the way to go.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#6 2015-09-18 21:26:56

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

Unia wrote:

Ah, I think it does. Depends on what you mean with engineering apps. If it involves installing apps not from the store, Android is still the way to go.

Ah, I see, my English... Apps that engnineers find useful. Angry birds does not count but Wolfram Alpha and Maxima for Android do.

Maybe one should stay away from trying to do engineering on a 4--5 inch screen... Manipulating a 'real computer' through Teamviewer might be a better idea :-)

/Martin

#7 2015-09-18 21:29:01

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

I've been attempting to buy a new phone for myself these days and am hopelessly lost between the endless fragmentation which makes up the Android world and hopelessly overpriced Apple hardware…doesn't matter when your employer is footing the bill though :DD

You probably want a <=5 inch screen for pocketability, endless battery life and a robust build (just like me). I'll just paste my notes so far:

* Sony Xperia z3c   http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_compact-7535.php
  * Sony Xperia z5c   http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_compact-7535.php
  * Sony Xperia m5    http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_m5-7464.php   
  * Motorola Moto G3  http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g_%283rd_gen%29-7247.php
  * Apple Iphone 6    http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6-6378.php

All Androids on this list have the advantage that the vendors (Sony, Motorola) a) do release the kernel sources for their phones so Cyanogenmod support is almost guaranteed and b) use a unbloated almost-stock Android (motorola) or a have a ASOP program (Sony) c) and tend to upgrade even their very old phones. In any case: long support span (<- this is poor me on a budget speaking again).

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#8 2015-09-18 22:29:52

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Motorola builds good phone. That said, I dropped my g3 and cracked the screen a few months back. I went to buy a replacement and there was not a single android device stocked in the store. I went with Iphone 5C for about $300. It just works and I am quite happy with it as a smart phone. I really only expect it to do phone-like stuff though. Make and receive calls, calendaring, take the occasional pic, light-weight banking, check emails and browse facebook when I am incredibly bored and away from home (about the only time I ever get on FB anymore.) Anything much more in-depth, I want a real computer for. I still find them hecka inconvenient devices for doing any real work on.

#9 2015-09-19 03:20:13

Forthy
#! CrunchBanger

I can heartily recommended HTC for Android phones. I'm on my second one in a row here following on from a Samsung galaxy s3 and the build quality of the HTC is far superior (can't say about the more modern Samsungs to be fair).

My observations for what makes a good phone are probably different to most, but for me I want a smooth touchscreen (I use swipe based typing so if there's any friction I end up typing gibberish), a solid feel (rather than bendy flexy) and a half decent speaker(s).  HTC wins on all three points.

#10 2015-09-19 07:28:39

ohnonot
...again

android for obvious reasons (being linux and all)... or even cyanogenmod.

not sure if i'm hijacking this thread, but i recently realized that i can copy my whole music collection to my server and then listen to it remotely via sshfs. would that be possible with android, too? or iOS?

i've been using the f-droid repository on my last android phone; it's been a while.
in any case, that would be another point in favour of android/CM.

sidenote - is it possible to disable google apps & accounts & spying on recent cyanogenmod versions?

#11 2015-09-19 09:57:44

phle

I presently have a Jolla as my main phone, but I don't think it's suitable for your needs (mainly the "is not supported by our IT department" part, which I guess is somewhat important for a work phone that should "basically just work").
I'm very happy with it, but my needs are not the ones of your employer's.

My previous smartphone experiences says that Samsung gives me trouble (it worked, worked, worked, and then it: Did Not Work; example: idle, on charger, relatively new, battery draining yikes )

Given that you and I are located rather close to each other (same city, actually), I'd recommend what I would go for if I was the one to choose: a Sony Xperia Z* Compact. Weather-proof (because it's nice to not have to worry about a bit of rain - or snow), and not insanely large (because I'm a medium-small female; in your case: because you don't want to be bothered lugging around something unnecessary large).

Also: twoion's arguments seems reasonable (and lists two Sony Xperia Z* Compact's).

2015-09-30: officially moved over to the BunsenLabs Forums.

#12 2015-09-19 14:56:04

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

Thanks all, keep it coming.

I don't know exactly what I have to choose from but will find out next week. Jolla would be neat but I am pretty sure it is not part of the offering.

Not going for max size is part of my thinking right now. Yes, something that doesn't breaks easily or dies from a bit of moisture would be nice (My beloved Nokia 700 dropped about 2 m into my tiled floor earlier today without even batting an eyelid.).

[OT]
I am actually still hoping a Jolla tablet will eventually show up at my door step.
[/OT]

/Martin

#13 2015-09-19 15:04:09

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

@twoion, and possibly Martin,

I own a Motorola Moto G, first gen. I can definitely recommend it: cheap for what it offers, good quality, nice screen, still fast even now and updates are pushed reasonably fast.

#14 2015-09-20 19:08:31

ohnonot
...again

Jolla?
wow, i thought those were still in beta.
is it true that they are somehow "more linux" than android?
and what about the hardware? afaiu, they run on their own hardware, like ubuntu, no?

today i looked at double sim card phones (because i was given a 4G network only sim card as part of my ethernet contract), and the "honor" series stood out. it seems to be just huawei with a "western" name, right? any experience with those?

#15 2015-09-20 19:30:33

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

Simplistically:
Jolla is the company and the brand used for their phone and tablet.
Their OS is called Sailfish and as far as I know it is not used by anyone else, at least not yet.

/Martin

#16 2015-09-20 22:37:44

TeoBigusGeekus
#! Die Hard

I can vouch for HTC One M7: I have it for 2 and a half years now and it is brilliant.
Strong body, OK camera, excellent performance overall.

If you work on the field though, consider buying a rugged phone, especially a Caterpillar one.
See here and here.
Some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0rH7I3Ni3c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ll-4ZxGDU8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxdP--1hQek

EDIT:Take all the above of course with a pinch of salt, they are just phones that endure a bit more than the other ones.

Last edited by TeoBigusGeekus (2015-09-21 08:38:43)

Please make Autocad Civil 3D and Archicad work on Linux!

#17 2015-09-21 12:15:03

ratcheer
#! Junkie

I have been sticking my toe in the water to think about getting a smart phone. I am really attracted to the latest moto x 2015 Pure Edition. At around $500, it is about half the cost of an iPhone 6S Plus, even though it still has most of the features of a so called flagship phone.

Tim

#18 2015-09-21 17:46:39

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

Here are the contenders made available by my employer:

• Microsoft Lumina 640 4G HSPA+ 8 GB (surprise #1: I did not expect a Windows based phone)

• Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini

• Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3

• Sony Xperia E4g 8GB

• Sony Xperia M4 Aqua

Surprise #2: no IOS based phone.

/Martin

#19 2015-09-24 08:56:24

ohnonot
...again

ok, now i'm definitely hijacking your thread (i hope it's ok since it seems your question is answered).

i'm looking at a really good offer for zte v5s n918st 8gb - what do you all think, is it any good (it has dual sim & 4G)?

#20 2015-09-24 18:08:27

ohnonot
...again

i just bought an acer liquid e700 for a true bargain (100e).
it's got triple-sim support, it's big and powerful enough to replace my netbook (hopefully), but it's got no 4g (LTE) connection.
and it's supposed to have really good battery life, too.
there's no cyanogenmod release for this model, but xda-developers is full of inoffical stuff... i don't really like how they advertise themselves there, but it's worked well enough once, let's hope it'll work again. or maybe rooting will be enough, then rip out all google spyware...

i also had my eyes on a low-end ubuntu phone, and it was a loving eye, ready to be seduced... but the hardware is just so crappy compared to what else you can get for the same price... boo-hoooo...

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-09-24 18:08:41)

#21 2015-09-25 20:37:44

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini arrived today.
I have managed to set up synchronization with our Outlook-based email/calendar/tasks/contacts system.
Now what?
How do I turn this into a useful work tool?

[OT]
The arrival of a Jolla Tablet at my door step might actually happen in a not too distant future.
[/OT]

/Martin
(Reclaiming the thread?)

#22 2015-09-27 21:50:44

ohnonot
...again

i'm still waiting for my "last years high-end phone".
when it comes, i'll be able to answer that question, which i interpret as "can android be as useful and trustworthy as gnu/linux?".

but i still got my eyes on the ubuntu phone. i just might go crazy and by that one, too.

i like buying used stuff.

btw, jolla development is taking place just across the bridge from my working place...
or, at least they have their offices there.

#23 2015-09-28 04:19:38

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@MartinRF:  If you're going the Android route, value your privacy, and have the money, consider a Blackphone2 from Silent Circle:

https://silentcircle.com/products-and-s … s/devices/

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#24 2015-10-13 08:24:00

Temetka
#! CrunchBanger

I own a Note 4 and it's a great phone.

That being said the new Lumia's have caught my eye as has the iPhone 6s.

If you want a phone for security, I would get the Turing phone, root it and lock it down. The Silent Circle guys have done a terrific job. That being said, you can replicate most of what they have done and have hardware encryption to boot if you go with the Turing phone.

But until the actual baseband and modem code become available for community peer review just assume that ANY phone is pwnable by the powers that be. No, I am not not talking about the OS. I am talking about the super low level code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband_processor

Security concerns

Since the software which runs on baseband processors is usually proprietary, it is impossible to perform an independent code audit. By reverse engineering some of the baseband chips, researchers have found security vulnerabilities that could be used to access and modify data on the phone remotely.[1][2] In March 2014, makers of the free Android derivative Replicant announced they have found a backdoor in the baseband software of Samsung Galaxy phones which allows read, write and remove of user data stored on the phones.

Until we can audit that code, assume it's compromised. Pull your battery at the end of the workday and get a faraday pouch to store the phone in when not in use (without it's battery, duh).

OR get a pager. But yeah, all cell-phones are compromised. Guilty until proven innocent, especially in the wake of all the revelations of just how deep the 5 eyes have ingrained themselves into the telecommunications industry.

Board footer