SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#151 2015-08-19 20:25:36

ostrołęk
CB Member

Re: Sub-alpha BunsenLabs netinstall script

As we are using Openbox, it doesn't have a desktop to take over per se.

-mod edit- I'm sorry, ostrolk. I meant to quote this post but clicked edit by mistake, and I've lost your original post. My first day as a mod and I'm already abusing my authority! Mea culpa, hhh.

Be excellent to each other!

#152 2015-08-19 20:43:00

damo
#! gimpbanger

Isn't geany better.....and colorful?  ]:D

0CD2Funz.jpg

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#153 2015-08-19 20:48:51

hhh
Cityspeak

ostrolk wrote:

In waldorf/wheezy, nautilus creates a desktop, complete with desktop icons and a wallpaper. Disabling this feature requires running a command...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=84

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#154 2015-08-19 21:16:43

ostrołęk
CB Member

ostrolk wrote:

-mod edit- I'm sorry, ostrolk. I meant to quote this post but clicked edit by mistake, and I've lost your original post. My first day as a mod and I'm already abusing my authority! Mea culpa, hhh.

No problem smile
I think I had pasted Gedit screenshot, but that's OK!

#155 2015-08-19 21:20:50

ostrołęk
CB Member

hhh wrote:
ostrolk wrote:

In waldorf/wheezy, nautilus creates a desktop, complete with desktop icons and a wallpaper. Disabling this feature requires running a command...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=84

That was in 2008 and Nautilus has come a long way. I can right click on the screen (or is it a desktop?) anywhere. Of course, there is a "Set as Wallpaper" command, but as Openbox is only a WM, nothing happens.

#156 2015-08-19 21:47:11

ostrołęk
CB Member

I'd like to come back to the topic, the netinstall script.
Now that the install script is pointing to deb repos, after cd to the bunsen-netinstall-master folder, we can tick off or add any apps we want, change the contents of some files and click ./install later. The install script is now pulling apps from Debian repos, so I think there is no need to build debs from git, or even create folders to hold a user repo, maybe some log files. What do you guys think about this? Maybe John had already corrected the install script. I haven't read it thoroughly yet. Too late now. Will do tomorrow.

#157 2015-08-20 02:03:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Your attention to this script is flattering, ostrolk, but bear in mind it was intended as a stopgap till the BunsenLabs Apt repo was in place and the only source of BunsenLabs packages was GitHub. Now it remains as an alternative install path for people who for some reason cannot or do not wish to use the .iso install.

ostrolk wrote:

Now that the install script is pointing to deb repos, after cd to the bunsen-netinstall-master folder, we can tick off or add any apps we want, change the contents of some files and click ./install later.

That was always possible. The script was always using Debian repos for all packages except the BunsenLabs ones.

The install script is now pulling apps from Debian repos, so I think there is no need to build debs from git, or even create folders to hold a user repo, maybe some log files.

Correct. Debs are not built from git, nor is a local repo created.

Maybe John had already corrected the install script. I haven't read it thoroughly yet.

Seems not...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#158 2015-08-20 02:18:03

johnraff
nullglob
Website

As hhh pointed out, nautilus is quite a reasonable install these days, with --no-install-recommends:

john@bunsen:~$ sudo apt-get -s install --no-install-recommends nautilus

The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gnome-desktop3-data libexempi3 libgail-3-0 libgnome-desktop-3-10
  libiptcdata0 libmediaart-1.0-0 libtracker-sparql-1.0-0 nautilus

It's very clean-looking and has some features, but lacks the customization that is possible with Thunar. It is supported as an alternative by the bl-alternatives system, so menus, keybindings etc will continue to work after installing nautilus and removing thunar.

John
--------------------

#159 2015-08-20 08:05:44

ostrołęk
CB Member

johnraff wrote:

Maybe John had already corrected the install script. I haven't read it thoroughly yet.

Seems not...

Yes, I didn't have time yesterday. You've already done it.
I am learning. It is quite interesting to start learning again at my age. Thanks for those links.

If I change jessie to stretch in gen_resources, do the same with the install file, I can point to stretch repos, right? As the bunsen packages doesn't care what Debian repo I am pointing.

I can also use your install script to install in two stages, i.e, first the pkgs-norecs, and then reboot and install pkgs-recs. This way I can choose what I want, and leave what I don't need.

#160 2015-08-22 07:25:55

ostrołęk
CB Member

Actually, the netinstall of BunsenLabs could be considered as stable and final, that is the system you get is quite stable and for working machines. What you install through pkgs-norecs comes from Debain Jessie and the pks-recs from Bunsen packages had been worked thoroughly by John and others. Once installed your system is going to stay put until Debian 8 Jessie would be, so I think you can call the BunsenLabs netinstall final, rather than beta. smile

#161 2015-09-14 15:17:21

tynman

I'm happy to see the "release candidate" of BunsenLabs Hydrogen  announced last week. I tip my hat to all involved.

In the "Installation" page of the BunsenLabs website (http://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation.html), there is a section titled "netinstall script". It suggests the netinstall method available at https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall is equivalent to  installing BunsenLabs using the iso files on the same page. The section includes a link to this forum thread. So the BunsenLabs netinstall might now also be called "beta" or "release candidate", and no longer "sub-alpha", as noted in the thread title?

I don't know if my understanding is correct (about the equivalency between the BunsenLabs netinstall and the BunsenLabs iso file), but I would like it to be, since I would have a slight preference for installing Bunsnelabs Hydrogen using the "netinstall" method over  using a full iso-file-based  installation.

Ben

#162 2015-09-14 18:27:06

hhh
Cityspeak

@tynman, the version naming for the install script is up to johnraff, and is fairly unimportant/whimsical/use at your own risk.

Nowhere on the installation page you linked does it say "equivalent", in fact it says "include the BunsenLabs system into a minimal netinstall Debian installation". Since the ISOs are built with a different package set, they won't be identical. However, you can use the netinstall script and then compare your packages to the list found here...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 76#p439376

Keep in mind that the using netinstall script will also install a lot of development packages on your system (more disk space used) and takes about 4 times as long to complete. But it is completely fabulous and has quite a following here.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#163 2015-09-15 03:09:34

tynman

Thanks hhh for the clarification!

Ben

#164 2015-09-17 06:51:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@hhh thanks for your thorough explanation. 1 point:

hhh wrote:

Keep in mind that the using netinstall script will also install a lot of development packages on your system (more disk space used)...

In fact this is no longer the case. Now that we have an apt repository the current netinstall script installs packages from there, and no longer needs to build from the GitHub repositories, so the disk space needed is no more than an iso install. However, it does still take much longer to run than the iso method, and does not offer the option of a live session.

Users who want to get the very latest versions of packages from GitHub can use the script bl-github-upgrade, which will indeed install a load of development stuff and build a local repository on your computer to achieve this. That script comes with the netinstall tarball, and is also in version 8.4-1 of bunsen-utilities. To check if it's worth doing you can run bl-pkg-versions (also in the latest bunsen-utilities) to compare the versions available.

About whether the two systems are equivalent, as hhh says the main difference is in the list of packages installed, and possibly in whether some recommended packages are installed or not. I will soon edit the install list for the netinstall script to bring it into alignment with hhh's iso install, but meanwhile it's just a question of install/remove for this or that package.

Last edited by johnraff (2015-09-17 06:56:54)

John
--------------------

Board footer