SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-01 22:00:10

ghorvath
#! Member

xfce-power-manager and xscreensaver vs vlc media player

I am running debian jessie from netinstall and then upgraded using the Bunsenlabs github netinstall script. It installed perfectly, put the bunsen repository into the correct place, updates from it when needed. Everything looks nice and works as intended. You guys did an excellent job, thank you very much.

I have one small problem: when I watch something full screen with vlc player, the xscreensaver and x-power-manager both are still active, no matter what I click in the settings for vlc. (There is an option to disable these when fullscreen play, but it does not seem to have an effect.) Basically I have what is already presented in here last year:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=34501

Here, the conclusion was that xscreensaver should be removed (maybe even xfce-power-manager), and one should use an xset oneliner in the autostart which would work properly together with vlc player.

I am not sure if there are more machines that are affected by this in bunsen, but if there are, it might be worth considering making this oneliner to be the standard rather than xscreensaver and maybe the power manager. Or maybe some other solution could be used. I basically started this topic to initiate some discussion about this.

I personally would prefer the oneliner solution, but I read somewhere that xscreensaver is needed for locking the screen which is a feature I need. I therefore currently use another solution called lightsOn from

https://github.com/iye/lightsOn

This recognizes what screensaver is running together with vlc (or even flash!) and blocks it when media player runs fullscreen. However, it does not block the power manager. Probably the script could be modified so that it recognizes the power manager, as well, but so far I did not check properly what the script does.

Any thoughts? What do you do to prevent the screen from blanking when watching the movie?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-09-01 22:27:33

hhh
Cityspeak

Re: xfce-power-manager and xscreensaver vs vlc media player

Hey ghorvath, thanks for registering, welcome, and thanks for the feedback!

We're switching from xscreensaver to light-locker in our next ISO release...
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/x11/light-locker

When you lock the screen with light-locker, the screen blanks and pressing any key brings you to the Login screen. To run it, just disable xscreensaver in you autostart file (~/.config/openbox/autostart), change the keyboard-shortcut command in the rc.xml file there  to "light-locker-command -l" without quotes and reboot. If you like it, you can remove xscreensaver and that's one problem out of the way.

For xfce4-power-manager, you can go to it's Settings>Display tab and set "Blank after" to "Never". I haven't tested if this is even necessary if xscreensaver is removed when using that option in Vlc.

BTW, make sure you have the most recent bunsen repo in your sources.list...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39993

And feel free to test our Live ISO, we'll be releasing our next one within a few weeks...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39994

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#3 2015-09-02 01:15:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

change the keyboard-shortcut command in the rc.xml file there  to "light-locker-command -l" without quotes

That shouldn't be necessary. The keyboard shortcut points to 'bl-lock', and if you've got the latest packages from the repo then bl-lock should call light-locker.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#4 2015-09-02 01:24:34

hhh
Cityspeak

Ah right, thanks!

#5 2015-09-02 07:33:42

ghorvath
#! Member

Thank you! I disabled xscreensaver and use "light-locker --lock-on-suspend". So far it seems to work as it is intended. I need to test if vlc really disables it when in fullscreen mode. I do not particularly miss the screensaver (I do not use crt monitors for many years now), it was slightly faster though. Now after suspend the screen flashes a couple of times and it takes about 4 seconds until I can actually type my password. Oh, and I need to type in my username, as well, not only the password. I have the newest bunsen repo, thank you for double checking. I have updated my packages, as well, and I indeed did not need to change anything for the keybind Super+l.

BTW, when you guys say you are planning to switch from xscreensaver, do you mean to not install it at all with the standard bunsenlabs config?

About xfce power manager: it seems I was wrong. I have laptop-mode-tools installed and it seems to have its own configuration on when to shut down the monitor, when to suspend, etc. It seems that these settings (one can get them by "xset -q") are the ones followed rather than the settings in xfce power manager. The latter does not seem to have much effect.

I currently disabled the lightsOn script, but might enable it later, because that is supposed to figure out if on watches a fullscreen flash video.

I will make some tests and report back.

Edit: I just checked that without the lightsOn script using vlc media player the screen did not go off after the time that was set in xset. That is, it works. Thank you for the suggestion.

Last edited by ghorvath (2015-09-02 07:44:18)

#6 2015-09-06 18:48:25

ghorvath
#! Member

A follow-up: I purged xscreensaver, and added

light-locker --lock-on-suspend & 

to the autostart. Apparently, this caused two instances of light-locker to start (one with --lock-on-suspend and one without). This meant that I had to enter my login details twice after every resume from suspend. I killend my own instance, and everything seems fine. Does bunsenlabs already starts light-locker somehow, or is it automatic debian/systemd response to purging xscreensaver?

#7 2015-09-06 18:56:05

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

ghorvath wrote:

Does bunsenlabs already starts light-locker somehow

To quote ~/.config/openbox/autostart:

## Note: some programs, such as 'nm-applet' are run via XDG autostart.
## Run
## /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/openbox-xdg-autostart --list
## or
## /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openbox-xdg-autostart --list
## to list any XDG autostarted programs.

https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-co … /autostart

#8 2015-09-07 04:41:25

hhh
Cityspeak

ghorvath wrote:

Does bunsenlabs already starts light-locker somehow, or is it automatic debian/systemd response to purging xscreensaver?

Neither, I think light-locker gets started automatically by lightdm if it's present. Do not add it to your autostart and you'll be all set.

#9 2015-09-07 05:21:05

ghorvath
#! Member

hhh wrote:
ghorvath wrote:

Does bunsenlabs already starts light-locker somehow, or is it automatic debian/systemd response to purging xscreensaver?

Neither, I think light-locker gets started automatically by lightdm if it's present. Do not add it to your autostart and you'll be all set.

Ah, I see. Thank you. I did just that, and it indeed works fine.

#10 2015-09-07 05:26:13

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Go back to Head_on_a_Stick's post to see what's happening. (It's not started by lightdm.)

John
--------------------

#11 2015-09-07 05:35:20

ghorvath
#! Member

johnraff wrote:

Go back to Head_on_a_Stick's post to see what's happening. (It's not started by lightdm.)

Hm, weird. Yesterday I looked at that post, ran the --list command and did not find light-locker among the xdg executed programs. Now I checked again, and found it. I must have missed it yesterday.

#12 2015-09-08 02:52:53

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Those XGD autostart apps put .desktop files in /etc/xdg/autostart

To edit the executed command you can, eg:

cp /etc/xdg/autostart/light-locker.desktop ~/.config/autostart

then edit your local copy on the Exec line: 'Exec=light-locker' to eg 'Exec=light-locker --lock-on-suspend'.

To disable an autostart without removing the original file (an upgrade would probably put it back), add a line 'Hidden=true' to your local copy.

John
--------------------

#13 2015-09-08 18:50:07

hhh
Cityspeak

Sorry about the mis-info, ghorvath. Of course, H_o_a_S and johnraff are correct, installing light-locker creates the autostart light-locker.desktop file.

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/i386 … r/filelist
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd6 … r/filelist

#14 2015-09-14 05:14:11

ghorvath
#! Member

Hm, apparently vlc fullscreen playing does not work (again). I need to investigate the cause, but it may be because of either a light-locker update (if such happened since) or that I have since installed the bunsen-backported xfce4-power-manager and that seomehow messed with earlier settings, or something completely different. (I vote for the second one, but I am not sure.) However, the icon that the power manager provides now at least has "presentation mode", which probably should be help solve this. Also, it is possible that the script I was using at the beginning would work now. I will have to investigate.

Edit: Yes, presentation mode indeed prevents screen blanking. I made a keybind by adding the following to rc.xml:

<keybind key="W-p">
      <action name="Execute">
        <startupnotify>
          <enabled>false</enabled>
          <name>Presentation mode</name>
        </startupnotify>
        <command>xfconf-query -c xfce4-power-manager -p /xfce4-power-manager/presentation-mode -T</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>

It is possible to use this command just before and after starting vlc player, so it automatically toggles the switch. Or, even better would be to modify the lightsOn script from https://github.com/iye/lightsOn to recognize if presentation mode can be activated and then it should toggle presentation mode. Somehow this script is capable recognizing if vlc player or flash is fullscreen and has the active window.

Last edited by ghorvath (2015-09-19 19:29:56)

Board footer