SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2015-09-06 08:52:36

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: BL Hydrogen a2 bugs

intoCB wrote:

In the post-installation script, the user is asked if he/she wants to install the deb-multimedia repo. However, it isn't mentioned that this repo has nothing to do with the Debian project. Unsuspecting users will assume that it is.

Good point. We should rewrite the text there a bit.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

Be excellent to each other!

#52 2015-09-06 10:09:46

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

intoCB wrote:

Screen resolution changes not kept on reboot

You need to go to "Layout" → "Save As" to save a script for `xrandr`

For example, my screen layout produces this script:

#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output HDMI1 --off --output LVDS1 --mode 1280x800 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output DP1 --off --output VGA1 --off

You can then just put the `xrandr` command in ~/.config/openbox/autostart
wink

#53 2015-09-06 10:45:55

intoCB
Scatweasel

^Ah ok. Thanks. Is this an "innovation" or was it like that in CB? If it was not like that in CB, it might need to be mentioned. I suspect it was like that in CB.

#54 2015-09-06 10:47:39

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

AFAIK it was the same in #!

One of the drawbacks of using a stripped down window manager environment is the need to perform configuration steps like this manually.
8)

#55 2015-09-06 11:00:48

ohnonot
...again

intoCB wrote:

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, as it's not technically a bug. In the post-installation script, the user is asked if he/she wants to install the deb-multimedia repo. However, it isn't mentioned that this repo has nothing to do with the Debian project. Unsuspecting users will assume that it is.

This is a common misconception in regards to what deb-multimedia.org is. Although dmo is run by a Debian Developer and used to make use of the word "Debian" and the Debian trademark, dmo is in fact *not* a part of Debian or affiliated with Debian in any way. The fund-raising that happens there does not go towards Debian. As far as we understand it, dmo is maintained by only two people, neither of whom are a part of this team.

Could you change the first line to

The third party deb-multimedia repositories which are not part of the Debian project and are not supported by it contain ...

And the last line to:

Would you like to add the third party deb-multimedia repositories?

this is barely more than a rant, but:
i think it would be enough to write "Third party" and leave out the whole "not part, not supported" bit.
because technically it is still correct, and no need to scare the newbies, thinking that maybe they break their system.
[ another way, of course, could be to post the whole explanation, followed by "but it is perfectly safe to do so"... ]

#56 2015-09-06 11:07:47

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

ohnonot wrote:

no need to scare the newbies, thinking that maybe they break their system.
[ another way, of course, could be to post the whole explanation, followed by "but it is perfectly safe to do so"... ]

But they may very well break their system with that repository.

The packages there are not maintained to the same high standard as the official Debian Stable repositories.

A warning to that effect is needed, IMO.

After all, BL is supposed to be Debian Stable (with all that implies) rather than something like Arch where b0rkage is accepted.

#57 2015-09-06 15:02:31

intoCB
Scatweasel

It's difficult. LMDE uses it but it's really not Debian and as HoaS says it may very well break their system. Is it even needed these days? If they get libdvdcss directly from Videolan, isn't everything else in Debian anyway, except DeaDBeeF (cool but not needed by any stretch of the imagination)?

My gut instinct says to call as it you see it. If you use it and trust it, by all means recommend it to others. But it's best not to hide anything from users. It's a third party repo and effectively a PPA.

BL is excellent by the way - feels very solid.

#58 2015-09-07 02:48:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

This is the current message presented to users who might add the deb-multimedia repos:

bl-welcome wrote:

The deb-multimedia repositories contain media-related packages that may be newer than those in the Debian stable repositories, or not available at all. On the other hand, packages from these repositories sometimes cause problems for some users. If in doubt, you need not add them now - you can do it later if necessary.

There is already a warning about possible issues. Maybe we can just add "third party" :
"The third-party deb-multimedia repositories contain..."

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#59 2015-09-07 04:53:40

intoCB
Scatweasel

The thing is, the relationship of BL to Debian is already that of a third party, so that may not be explicit enough. Especially when the name suggests it is part of Debian. Users who add deb-multimedia to their sources are getting their packages from three parties (BL, Debian, dmo) and this should be transparent to them. Otherwise they are extending their (earned) trust of Debian to a third party whose name merely implies a relationship. By the same token, any negative experience with deb-multimedia could be transferred back to Debian.

See http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 82#p315082 and note that handbrake is now in Debian (wheezy-backports, jessie and later). Note also that like Flash, Acrobat Reader is discontinued on Linux and Videolan is the upstream source for libdvdcss and the one Ubuntu now uses (Medibuntu is discontinued).

By all means use the repo. LMDE does and offers a comparable experience to Bunsen. I just think it needs to be labelled correctly.

Last edited by intoCB (2015-09-07 05:25:49)

#60 2015-09-07 05:30:59

ghorvath
#! Member

I have already installed bunsenlabs to 4 different machines, planning to install it to a fifth one, and bunsenlabs was the reason I made the change completely from windows to linux. I like it very much. I never installed deb-multimedia, because I never had the need (every audio and video file on my machine and all flash was working properly so far) and I like to keep my machine as clean as possible. It might just be my slow mind, but until reading this thread I thought that deb-multimedia is much closer to Debian, even though I read the warning that was presented to me at the bl-welcome script.

Board footer