SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#126 2015-07-08 05:47:24

hhh
Cityspeak

Re: BunsenLabs Development Team and current status

In plain sight.

Last edited by hhh (2015-07-08 06:09:54)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#127 2015-07-08 08:36:04

Narmo

Wow that is a really great news! Thumbs up for ISO however I also get used to script installation ^^ If I may ask how is your extra theme pack, @hhh? ^^

#128 2015-07-08 09:01:47

johnraff
nullglob
Website

OK big respect to hhh and 2ion for getting this stuff moving! It's really starting to look good.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#129 2015-07-08 15:17:07

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

@ hhh thanks for the update .. I never thought of doing one.  Better late than never.

As for me me, I just wrote a few conkys using generic commands to work on any machine, like the default #! conky, and included a bash script I picked up that gets the now weather from you ISP.  The zenity conky chooser I started from a zenity script found on another distro, damo took it in it's rough and and polished it up as it is today.   Being the noob I am I got lost a couple of times as to what was happening but being who this group is they took the time to explain things to me.  Awesome group of people and from what I see work very well together.

I'd like to toss out kudos to Unia as well.  While not an "active member" of the Dev Team, he's busy studying hard at University, he was the one that started the BunsenLabs GitHub for us ... Thanks Unia...

So, for me, the real credit goes to the people that did all the work under the hood:  (in alpha order) damo, hhh, johnraff, twoion.

Another thing that stands out for me about the Dev Team: twoion, an ARCH user said recently "I have no opinion, I'm not using Bunsen", but he's right in the thick of things helping and building things to get this going.  I say this because maybe some people are not aware.

This is being written on my, 5 July, install of BunsenLabs, that I'm still tweaking.  This I believe will be my default OS from now on.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#130 2015-07-08 15:18:40

hhh
Cityspeak

Narmo wrote:

If I may ask how is your extra theme pack, @hhh?

It's, uhm, *cough*, been accidentally deleted. I've finished one theme since then and plan to rebuild one other from a screenshot, but that's on the back-burner now. Learning even just the basics of live-build was time consuming.

Once my focus on the ISOs has dyed down, I'll start a thread and release theme suites one by one. 2ion can group and package them as he sees fit (or maybe by then I'll be packaging them myself).

#131 2015-07-08 15:35:05

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

I'd like to add another thought worth 2¢ in here if I may.

The Bunsenlabs GitHub with the "NetInstall Script" should IMHO remain a part of Bunsen.  It's a great way for someone like hhh who is tackling the ISO build to get things in place and, my wording might be wrong here, is responsible for ARCH and Slackware (?) interest.

And even, I misunderstood this one, an Ubuntu PPA --- for Ubuntu users to use BunsenLabs.  (sneaky that one)

That GitHub and John's NetInstall script takes Bunsen to all reaches of Linuxlandia!

#132 2015-07-08 17:01:10

MsMattie
#! Member

Wonderful

I've several machines awaiting a BunsenLabs dual boot...

Linux in the backwoods of the Rocky Mountains...

#133 2015-07-08 17:12:56

hhh
Cityspeak

Sector11 wrote:

Thanks Unia

+1 smile

I have no opinion, I'm not using Bunsen

I've never used Openbox as my main WM. I really, really like what I'm getting with this build, though. We'll see...

is responsible for ARCH and Slackware (?) interest.

And even, I misunderstood this one, an Ubuntu PPA

That's all 2ion's devilry. ]:D

Last edited by hhh (2015-07-08 17:13:22)

#134 2015-07-08 19:05:23

Shade

hhh wrote:

^Yes, johnraff is The Duke, he's A Number One.

Nobody crosses The Duke, everybody know that!

+1

#135 2015-07-08 19:13:22

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

@ hhh - OOPS!  I wasn't sure ... Thanks for the advertising boost twoion.  wink

What WM are you using?

@ MsMattie - something I thought I was finished with ... triple or more booting - soon to be quad.  I prefer seeing things on the HDD vs VM, I get a better picture of things.  I have:

1. #! tracking Wheezy - this will remain until Wheezy dies

2. wally-jr - Debian8 crunchified! {if it isn't ... it is now ... a word}

3. BunsenLabs - via Debian NetInstall and the bunsen-netinstal script

and

1. looking to install hhh's i368 ISO - might be a permanent option as I need 386 available for my Brother printer driver

2. waiting for twoion's 64bit ISO

with 6 more partitions ready got action

Go ahead, dual boot now.  wink

#136 2015-07-08 23:48:06

hhh
Cityspeak

#137 2015-07-09 00:22:43

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Sector11 wrote:

The Bunsenlabs GitHub with the "NetInstall Script" should IMHO remain a part of Bunsen.

+1...and a Netinstall script should be easier to maintain than an ISO.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#138 2015-07-09 01:27:21

hhh
Cityspeak

KrunchTime wrote:

a Netinstall script should be easier to maintain than an ISO.

The netinstall takes an hour and involves typing into the console, the ISO installs in 15 minutes and a trained chimp could do it. Also, the ISO can be used without installing, is transportable (stick the USB in your pocket) and does not require debhelper, fakeroot, etc... for it to be installed. When we have our own repository those dev packages won't need to be installed at all. Finally, the maintainance is in the Git, there's no real effort in producing a recent ISO by running a new build with updated packages.

Last edited by hhh (2015-07-09 01:29:59)

#139 2015-07-09 01:28:51

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@hhh:  Thank you for the clarification.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#140 2015-07-09 01:31:31

hhh
Cityspeak

Sure thing!

#141 2015-07-09 09:09:44

musashi

Hello, all.
Thanks to everyone who is putting effort on this project. I would like to collaborate on this. As I have been using #! since end 2011 and I feel in debt with the community. I would like to know how can I help. I want to try the install script on jessie.  And I would love to take part in the development process. I always was curious how to generate a distro. I have a git account.
Let me know.

Kudos to everyone

Edit:
I just installed Debian netinst and the bunsen-labs install script. And it worked flawless and I am posting this right now on a VM. It looks amazing. I feel just like in #! with some amazing touch. Like the binding keys menu... the login menu etc
It is amazing.
Thank you to the team!
I will use it for sure.

Last edited by musashi (2015-07-09 11:29:38)

#142 2015-07-09 17:02:01

hhh
Cityspeak

musashi wrote:

I would like to know how can I help.

Right now it's helpful for people to test and seed the new ISO (32bit, 64bit available in the next few days)...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39977

#143 2015-07-09 22:05:46

hhh
Cityspeak

Sector11 wrote:

What WM are you using?

I've been all about my custom GNOME session on jessie for the last few months, but this Bunsen ISO has me rethinking that. I love it that much.

#144 2015-07-12 00:09:36

hhh
Cityspeak

I've built a 64 bit ISO and rebuilt the 32 one so both now have the working bl-welcome script. When the torrents are available, we'll make them available for testing and link the announcement to the main forum News thread (within the next 24 hours, if all goes well).

We just want to make sure we're not releasing crap, and it's the weekend, so we're all involved with our personal lives too ATM. Thanks for your patience.

#145 2015-07-12 13:52:33

slchan
Banned

hhh wrote:

I've built a 64 bit ISO and rebuilt the 32 one so both now have the working bl-welcome script. When the torrents are available, we'll make them available for testing and link the announcement to the main forum News thread (within the next 24 hours, if all goes well).

We just want to make sure we're not releasing crap, and it's the weekend, so we're all involved with our personal lives too ATM. Thanks for your patience.

Nice to hear, but...
you naturally saw this post #338 (you replied to that.)

In this forum, on the top right anyone can see the Download button, and when that is clicked we are send to the download page of Waldorf. Now, if we click at this guy's (GNUinos) link we are taken to a website and download links to that iso. (That is not even hosted at sourceforge, which some people fear. http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 39977&p=4)

I suppose you are getting what I am saying--sitting in this forum won't help Bunsenlabs to have its own existence. If anyone wants to keep now defunct crunchbang to stay up, then let  them do that, but if BunsenLabs to be a distro of its own, you guys have to make a move. Holding on to this forum won't. If there are no more crunchbang coming out, its time to leave. So, think about it.

Few guys told you guys about this, and they had gone and created their own distros. Make your own distro, create a forum, and lot of us would come there. This place is now dead.

Ps: GNUinos looks just like Crunchbang and Bunsen

Last edited by slchan (2015-07-12 13:57:29)

#146 2015-07-12 15:47:54

hhh
Cityspeak

The new builds have been released...

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39994

#147 2015-07-12 23:19:28

spacex
ew
Website

Nice to see him banned. Those guys never give up though, so expect him back again. Anyway, I'm starting to get so pissed about all the nagging about continuing CrunchBang that I'm going to remove any images that are close to CrunchBang from my own project. And me who thought about offering a Waldorf-suite on top of TweakOs, but enough is enough. Let CrunchBang be dead, as Corenominal wanted.

But who cares, those wannabees creating clones will soon be forgotten anyway. Nobody succeeds in the long run by just copying others. You succeed if you can offer something new and unique. If you actually have something to contribute, besides copying stuff. There are probably 400000 people able to make a clone of CrunchBang. It isn't a big achievement.

Well, off I go. To delete Wilma and the Waldorf-snapshot. Because I won't participate in feeding this stupid obsession about CrunchBang. Don't read me wrong. CrunchBang was a very nice release, and had/has an awesome community. But the last couple of years there has been very little development, and not much happening until Bunsen. So let's drop the ball dead at once. CrunchBang is dead, and will remain dead no matter how many clones that pop up. Actually, they are a waste of space, and adds nothing of value to either Debian or Linux.

PS, the last part doesn't apply to Bunsen, because Bunsen isn't a clone, and Bunsen do have something to offer.

There, now I got it out. Finally  smile

Last edited by spacex (2015-07-12 23:48:18)

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#148 2015-07-12 23:36:13

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

spacex wrote:

PS, the last part doesn't apply to Bunsen, because Bunsen isn't a clone, and Bunsen do have something to offer.

There, now I got it out. Finally  smile

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!

#149 2015-07-13 03:33:53

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

It seems to me that the goal should be progress not just copying something that has already been done. I for one am happy to see that BunsenLabs made an iterative push forward on a number of fronts without going with something so totally oddball that it alienated its potential userbase. All of computing is iterative. This means that starting from somewhere such as #! and pushing forward is a viable option. However, no progress forward does not do anything for Linux as a whole. Great job to the team as BL is starting to show some polish.

Be excellent to each other!

#150 2015-09-10 02:04:25

hhh
Cityspeak

Current status: the RC1 (release candidate one) ISOs are out and the website is live.

8)

Board footer