SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-06-27 21:22:16

ohnonot
...again

Re: Is Google Being Evil?

KrunchTime wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

question remains, which is the best browser...

I also use Qupzilla and Midori, but some sites do not render well/correctly in the browsers and sometimes not at all.

i installed iceweasel-bin on archlinux (first i tried to compile it. after +1h of 100% cpu action it aborted because my /tmp partition is too small...). not much difference to FF. none, afaics. addons work. i guess my previous gripe with FF was... temporary.

i like qupzilla, but on archlinux it crashes & freezes a lot. i think it's under vivid development, so +1.
midori... i don't know. been watching it for years, it still seems beta somehow.

i think all these browsers can be configured to not submit to The Evil, but I only know how to do it on FF/iceweasel.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2015-06-29 20:27:07

pvsage
Internal Affairs

So, if the latest concern is that Google can listen in through Chrome...could one not simply unplug the mic or mute it in the mixer? roll

#28 2015-06-29 20:40:25

ohnonot
...again

yes of course, but i think it's more a question of trust.
in one of those articles i read "google are doing this just because they can" - so what comes next, who knows.
i think the choice of browser is extremely important, because browsing is just so sensitive, like a private diary.

#29 2015-06-29 21:10:21

MartinRF
#! Junkie
Website

I have an Android device and the other day it beeped shortly and then told me briefly "Listening". So now someone knows what music my radio was playing this Saturday. How long this listening session lasted and how often it does this -- no idea.

Evil? Your choice.

If the tax-evasion measures taken by big corporations including  Google is evil or not may be a matter of taste but it is without doubt democracy defying.

/Martin

#30 2015-06-30 23:23:28

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

ohnonot wrote:

yes of course, but i think it's more a question of trust.
in one of those articles i read "google are doing this just because they can" - so what comes next, who knows.
i think the choice of browser is extremely important, because browsing is just so sensitive, like a private diary.

+1, and then there's a history of doing user-unfriendly things.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Board footer