SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-14 23:59:06

userx-bw
#! Die Hard
From: stuck in an unknown reality
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 735

boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

PCManFM was acting up. So I just did a apt-get remove then an apt-get purge pcmanfm. Then I noticed apt-get telling me to autoremove. so I did.

Now I am noticing that I am missing apps, is there a way to do something simular to a restore to everything that is install during a normal install and skipping what is already there so all this does is reinstall everything that is not there with out too much trouble?

ps yes I then googled about PCManFM and found it does have a bug for what it was no longer doing, the cut function

Debian 8 the new stable one .. ??


"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-05-15 08:15:48

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace
Registered: 2012-06-15
Posts: 1,643

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

Check /var/log/dpkg.log file and /var/log/apt/ dir.

Offline

#3 2015-05-17 08:40:34

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard
From: not where I belong
Registered: 2012-03-02
Posts: 3,264

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

userx-bw wrote:

PCManFM was acting up. So I just did a apt-get remove then an apt-get purge pcmanfm. Then I noticed apt-get telling me to autoremove. so I did.

It's more of a recommendation, not a directive, and you should pay attention to what it's telling you to autoremove before doing so.  The Siduction developers disable the autoremove functionality for the very reason that you encountered.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-05-17 08:42:14)


Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Offline

#4 2015-05-17 09:58:31

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Offline

#5 2015-05-17 14:47:58

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard
From: Heavener, OK
Registered: 2014-12-09
Posts: 777

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

^ Great info there HoaS. I bookmarked it. I prefer apt-get but will use aptitude for thornier dependency problems. Having used Linux back in the day when all dependency tracking was done manually, I can honestly say I prefer the more modern methods.

However @op: Given that I am using pcmanfm in a standalone openbox session on this machine, I feel like it should not have pulled half your desktop down. Remember that /var/log/apt/history.log will show you a history of what you did so you can roll back any changes. There is a package somewhere along the line that is an lxde dependency, though I highly doubt it was pcmanfm.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-05-17 14:48:21)

Offline

#6 2015-05-17 15:29:49

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

Interesting, I have: pcmanfm-mod-nohal here and removing that removes just that:

 17 May 15 | 12:23:17 ~
    $ ser pcmanfm
alias ser = aptitude search
p   pcmanfm                                         - extremely fast and lightweight file manager               
p   pcmanfm:i386                                    - extremely fast and lightweight file manager               
p   pcmanfm-dbg                                     - extremely fast and lightweight file manager (debug)       
p   pcmanfm-dbg:i386                                - extremely fast and lightweight file manager (debug)       
i   pcmanfm-mod-nohal                               - A modified version of the legacy PCMan File Manager v0.5.2
 
 17 May 15 | 12:23:38 ~
    $ saremv pcmanfm-mod-nohal
alias saremv sudo apt-get autoremove --purge --simulate
[sudo] password for sector11: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  pcmanfm-mod-nohal*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Purg pcmanfm-mod-nohal [1.2.4-1]
 
 17 May 15 | 12:24:12 ~
    $ 

didn't even realize I still had it install but went looking, I have not used it in a L*O*N*G time - thunar ya-know


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#7 2015-05-18 01:45:49

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard
From: not where I belong
Registered: 2012-03-02
Posts: 3,264

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

tknomanzr wrote:

Remember that /var/log/apt/history.log will show you a history of what you did so you can roll back any changes.

There is a limit to how much information is stored in the /var/log/apt/history.log file.  I make it a practice to backup that file at least daily if I have added, purged, or updated any packages.  I also periodically clear the file out so it's easier to create backups; i.e. you don't have to remove so much prior activity.

Regarding apt versus aptitude:  In general, I prefer aptitude.  However, under Debian Unstable apt is a bit easier to use (aptitude tries to be too smart sometimes), I've discovered that apt-get will store the exact command in the /var/log/apt/history.log file, so you know exactly what you were installing.  Aptitude doesn't reference the install command, so you kind of have to hunt through an install history to determine exactly what it was that you installed.

@HoaS:  Another great find!  Thank you!

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-05-18 01:52:52)


Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Offline

#8 2015-05-18 14:20:37

userx-bw
#! Die Hard
From: stuck in an unknown reality
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 735

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

KrunchTime wrote:
userx-bw wrote:

PCManFM was acting up. So I just did a apt-get remove then an apt-get purge pcmanfm. Then I noticed apt-get telling me to autoremove. so I did.

It's more of a recommendation, not a directive, and you should pay attention to what it's telling you to autoremove before doing so.  The Siduction developers disable the autoremove functionality for the very reason that you encountered.

thats what blind faith can do to you. you got a question everything until you find the absolute truth of it.

it was in that moment of faith when I had a bref thought I should look at that autoremove list to see what it was talking about, but instead just did the ole' what the hell it knows what it's doing faith in it.

I am currently going back to CrunchBang with the Jessie upgrade. I do not like what a fresh clean install gives me with Debian Jessie. I do wish that he would have upgraded CrunchBang and had not abanded it.

too it only took me what felt like under 5 minutes to redo my HDD then install CrunchBang -- with a Debian Jessis it felt like a installing WIndows session where I could go to the movies and come back then still expect to be wating for it to finish.


"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Offline

#9 2015-05-18 14:28:45

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

One can --simulate before going things - from my aliases:

## autoremove
##   autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed
##   to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed.
##   --purge idea from pvsage
alias aremv='echo "alias aremv = sudo apt-get autoremove --purge" ; sudo apt-get autoremove --purge'
alias saremv='echo "alias saremv sudo apt-get autoremove --purge --simulate" ; sudo apt-get autoremove --purge --simulate'

It's safer than the [Y | n] oprion.  smile


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#10 2015-05-18 14:40:06

userx-bw
#! Die Hard
From: stuck in an unknown reality
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 735

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

Sector11 wrote:

One can --simulate before going things - from my aliases:

## autoremove
##   autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed
##   to satisfy dependencies for other packages and are now no longer needed.
##   --purge idea from pvsage
alias aremv='echo "alias aremv = sudo apt-get autoremove --purge" ; sudo apt-get autoremove --purge'
alias saremv='echo "alias saremv sudo apt-get autoremove --purge --simulate" ; sudo apt-get autoremove --purge --simulate'

It's safer than the [Y | n] oprion.  smile

thank you but I was not expecting such a thing as the removal  of libreoffice and my tar / unzip program and what ever else it removed to happen over a simple remove purge PCManFm -- it was one simple appication removale that has nothing to do with an office suite or unzipping files really -- not a major thing

Edit:

maybe I'm still a little Windows minded orentated where one does not have to worry about that

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-18 14:51:30)


"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Offline

#11 2015-05-18 15:40:11

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

FFS *always* read what APT is telling you and only say "yes" if you understand what it is going to do and you approve of it.

Debian prioritises user control over n00b-friendliness.

It seems to me that at this stage the OP is better suited to Ubuntu or Mint.

In those distributions, the developers assume a lack of experience on behalf of the user and put into place protective measures that more experienced GNU/Linux users would find restrictive and prohibitive.

Offline

#12 2015-05-18 17:35:24

userx-bw
#! Die Hard
From: stuck in an unknown reality
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 735

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

FFS *always* read what APT is telling you and only say "yes" if you understand what it is going to do and you approve of it.

Debian prioritises user control over n00b-friendliness.

It seems to me that at this stage the OP is better suited to Ubuntu or Mint.

In those distributions, the developers assume a lack of experience on behalf of the user and put into place protective measures that more experienced GNU/Linux users would find restrictive and prohibitive.

Ubuntu Blows and Mint Sucks

and what you speak of before that is just learned behavior with the need to create the habit of reading everything all the time regardless of what it is you are doing with apt-get before acting .... therefore  having to remove the trusting of the software and the person that wrote it in knowing what to do before hand in order to save the user from having to do all of the work, hence making what the reason of the software is for obsolete   ... or partly anyways  neutral

edit:

this what happened to me removing and purging PCManFM where does that depend on LibreOffice and everything else that just got removed -- where do the two tie together -- think about it...

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-18 17:43:07)


"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Offline

#13 2015-05-18 18:05:18

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

Offline

#14 2015-05-18 18:24:52

userx-bw
#! Die Hard
From: stuck in an unknown reality
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 735

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

you seem to have a lot of time on your hands and the insatiable thirst for knowledge of all things GNU/Linux big_smile 

thanks for the read  {) (in a  non gay way, I don't see a huggy emoicon lol )


"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Offline

#15 2015-05-18 22:24:00

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard
From: not where I belong
Registered: 2012-03-02
Posts: 3,264

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

userx-bw wrote:

I am currently going back to CrunchBang with the Jessie upgrade. I do not like what a fresh clean install gives me with Debian Jessie. I do wish that he would have upgraded CrunchBang and had not abanded it.

IMO, Jessie was released prematurely.

userx-bw wrote:

too it only took me what felt like under 5 minutes to redo my HDD then install CrunchBang -- with a Debian Jessis it felt like a installing WIndows session where I could go to the movies and come back then still expect to be wating for it to finish.

That wasn't my experience at all.  Downloading was wicked fast.  What took time was going through all of the steps in the Wally cheat sheet and checking package descriptions for some of the package recommendations to see if I really wanted/needed them.  Still, I've become a big fan of Debian NetInstalls.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Debian prioritises user control over n00b-friendliness.

+1

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

It seems to me that at this stage the OP is better suited to Ubuntu or Mint.

In those distributions, the developers assume a lack of experience on behalf of the user and put into place protective measures that more experienced GNU/Linux users would find restrictive and prohibitive.

Yeah, but then they still have a learning curve if and when they decide to move on, so why not start with true Debian?  Mistakes can be frustrating, but they're great learning experiences.

userx-bw wrote:

and what you speak of before that is just learned behavior with the need to create the habit of reading everything all the time regardless of what it is you are doing with apt-get before acting

It also applies to aptitude.

userx-bw wrote:

this what happened to me removing and purging PCManFM where does that depend on LibreOffice and everything else that just got removed -- where do the two tie together -- think about it...

That's odd...there shouldn't have been anything tying the two together that I know of.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-05-18 22:32:35)


Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Offline

#16 2015-05-18 22:25:24

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

userx-bw wrote:

{)

By the customs of my village, we are now married.

Offline

#17 2015-05-18 22:34:27

userx-bw
#! Die Hard
From: stuck in an unknown reality
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 735

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

KrunchTime wrote:
userx-bw wrote:

I am currently going back to CrunchBang with the Jessie upgrade. I do not like what a fresh clean install gives me with Debian Jessie. I do wish that he would have upgraded CrunchBang and had not abanded it.

IMO, Jessie was released prematurely.

userx-bw wrote:

too it only took me what felt like under 5 minutes to redo my HDD then install CrunchBang -- with a Debian Jessis it felt like a installing WIndows session where I could go to the movies and come back then still expect to be wating for it to finish.

That wasn't my experience at all.  Downloading was wicked fast.  What took time was going through all of the steps in the Wally cheat sheet and checking package descriptions for some of the package recommendations to see if I really wanted/needed them.  Still, I've become a big fan of Debian NetInstalls.

I happily agree that Jessie was released too soon!!!! way too soon!!!!!

the install I spoke of was a USB CrunchBang iso burn install -- not what you did.

when I installed Jessie as I use public wifi at starbucks I didn't mess with a net install .  too many times before that it always needs a sign in page that I cannot get to because of how the set up install works / or doesn't work like that --

I installed Jessie off a full debian lxde iso burned to a usb stick then just used the openbox log in. that took for ever to install --

just hours ago when i said @@@&*(#$#*#$(# it to Jessie then did a re install of crunchbang that installed like under five minutes off a usb stick.

then all I did was do an update dist-upgrade then added an automount to my polkit-1 bam I'm done... the only thing I really got left to do it mod that cb-exit file or just use the term to shutdown instead. and give PCManFm root

I wrote up a page of how to do it

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39615

Last edited by userx-bw (2015-05-18 22:35:21)


"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Offline

#18 2015-05-18 22:36:54

userx-bw
#! Die Hard
From: stuck in an unknown reality
Registered: 2013-11-19
Posts: 735

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
userx-bw wrote:

{)

By the customs of my village, we are now married.

LOL yikes

who provides the dowry?   tongue


"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Offline

#19 2015-05-18 23:04:42

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard
From: not where I belong
Registered: 2012-03-02
Posts: 3,264

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

userx-bw wrote:

who provides the dowry?   tongue

lol


Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Offline

#20 2015-05-19 01:05:43

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard
From: Heavener, OK
Registered: 2014-12-09
Posts: 777

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

The difference in time to install is the difference between a live iso and and a netinstall. My personal live iso installs in roughly 15 minutes. See I paid the price of building all those packages and stuff up front with the Live Build tool. And believe me, I did pay a price as it took me a couple of months doing builds to get it all set up right. I can do a full crunchbang like setup from command line netinstall in roughly an hour now. Practice makes perfect either way. I do know someone else was coming from a crunchy lxde angle and it was rough on him for awhile. I prefer to start from command line and build it up from scratch. That way I know exactly what is going into it and how it is configured.

Offline

#21 2015-05-19 06:42:21

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

tknomanzr wrote:

I prefer to start from command line and build it up from scratch. That way I know exactly what is going into it and how it is configured.

+1

Offline

#22 2015-05-19 15:00:19

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
tknomanzr wrote:

I prefer to start from command line and build it up from scratch. That way I know exactly what is going into it and how it is configured.

+1

And I think that's why Wally-jr appealed to me.  Debian NetInstall and one liners to build on.  For this noob checking these one line "apt-gets" for stuff I didn't want or wanted to change, ie viewnior (sp) for mirage - erased abiword and gnumeric etc and then applied the "fix" worked really y well - another example I bypassed the "Network" section entirely, didn't need it.

I ended up with Wally-jr closer to what I wanted and learned along the way.


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#23 2015-05-22 23:08:42

spacex
ew
From: Norway
Registered: 2015-01-17
Posts: 385
Website

Re: boy do I feel stupid asking yet another question, BUT

No way removing pcmanfm should remove half your desktop, unless you actually installed lxde, which pcmanfm is a part of...


Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo