SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-18 20:35:42

cpoakes
#! CrunchBanger

LMDE 2 (Linux Mint Debian Edition 2) "Betsy" Release Candidate is out

Linux Mint has just released the first candidate for LMDE 2 based on Jessie. In addition to featuring the Cinnamon and Mate desktops, LMDE 2 uses the standard SystemV init system.  This is a mainstream, live install, Debian based distro free of systemd init.  Only the systemd-shim is included (for cantankerous packages that refuse to live without it).  No special package removal or installation procedure is required.

The customizations to the user interface, the installer, mdm, Cinnamon, real branded firefox and thunderbird packages come from the linuxmint.com betsy repos, but all other packages come from actual debian.org jessie repos (even Mate).  Your favorite wm/de can be readily be installed too.

The timing of this RC appears to anticipate next stable.  I am expecting the LMDE 2 and Jessie final release dates to coincide in a fairly close time frame.

programming and administering unix since 1976 (BSD, System III, Xenix, System V, Linux)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-03-18 21:15:46

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Re: LMDE 2 (Linux Mint Debian Edition 2) "Betsy" Release Candidate is out

I have been waiting for this one. Will test imediately.

Thanks for the heads up.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#3 2015-03-19 15:12:13

paxmark1
#! Junkie

If anyone switches to LMDE Betsy (especially Mate) and they have systemd enabled, please chime in.  On an atom netbook with lmde I I shifted it to systemd and when I asked for help to find out why I only had partial journaling ( and the things I had done as per man pages) the reply was   - you are on your own. 

I'll just wait,  I am doing the lmde thing on the atom in so far futile attempts to get people and institutions off of windows, especially XP.  "Hey look at this, try it." 

Weeks later when LMDE gave their rationales as to why they are staying with sysvinit on their blog, I definitely respected their reasons.  They have their niche, they tried to have a rolling distro, and have realized that stable is their niche.  And they look at their base and are supporting it.

Moi,  I just hope that Jessie is stable shorter than any other iteration, and that Debian migrates in a year to the next iteration.  My dreams do not alway come true however.

Peace

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

#4 2015-03-19 15:20:38

g33zr
#! Die Hard

I plan to run it in VB.

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

Board footer