SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-03-15 09:21:03

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Re: Linux Foundation Begins Clampdown on Torvalds?

^Lmao Nore. lol

Don't religiously stalk the kern dev mailing list. Does seem few times I have followed up out of curiousity, wondering what all the hubbub was about. Didn't really find anything said that warranted the controversy about it.

Guess like most celeb's L Torvalds spends more than a tad of time under a microscope. Kinda amusing to see how the most trivial stuff he says or does makes waves. ie: Linus T switches to Kde, oooooo, now he switched to xfce, Linus T had tacos for lunch, now he's drinking coffee ! OMG ! Sign me up right now for the everything Linus T ever does RSS please ?! tongue

Do think it's his life's work and considering he's apparently independently wealthy. Not like he really needs a dy job either. Think stands to reason has to be some personal commitment to continue working on the Nix kernel for him.

Really don't doubt anyone would deny the guy has to be one of the most knowledgeable people in the world in the field too. It's kinda understandable the way he chooses to operate, can imagine w him being a friggin Nix kernel ninja, it'd get tedious to constantly have to explain why xyz is retarded or people who try to get away with things he knows are just them being lazy or working for xyz agenda or consistent poor qual contribs over n over. Not wanting to have to coddle peeps feelings endlessly or explain in detail to everyone's satisfaction. He's the boss.

Probably does severely piss him off. Seen LT mention he surrounds himself w people he can work well with and mostly shuts out a good majority of others assoc w operations. Makes perfect sense to me too. Who wouldn't avoid working w people they don't want to or like, if they have the option of not doing so ? With his position he does, so I can't blame him for doing what he's comfortable with.

Also from when have bothered, no shortage of peeps saying, yep ... he's right, usually is etc etc. When these incidents spark off.

Oooooo, personally can't wait, am holding my breath for the next exciting installment of LT doing everyday stuff !!! Linus T, goes to store for gallon of milk ... NEWS @ 11!!!! Man I HOPE THERE'S PICS ! tongue

Krunchmeister set me up dang it. ... Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-03-15 09:29:20)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2015-03-15 10:12:06

nore
>2^9

Linux kernel and GNU/Linux will most likely outlive Linus, so it is likely he'll retire one day, if he can avoid mad penguins till then. The successor may have a different approach to management. What it means to the project, will be seen later.

Last edited by nore (2015-03-15 12:30:28)

#28 2015-03-15 10:17:47

pingu
#! Junkie

I don't get it... what exactly is the clampdown? The "Code of Conflict? Or is there something they actually did to reprimand  Linus for calling a programmer brain-dead 8.( or smth? (maybe I skipped some line but I didn't find no clampdown...)

edit: ok. re-read the first line and answered my own question... still, that's no real clampdown. roll

edit2: this is  a real clampdown:
0MVIS9ms.png
http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/attach … 997358.jpg

Last edited by pingu (2015-03-15 10:26:51)

"We don't merge kernel code just because user space was written by a retarded monkey on crack."
Linus f****g Trovalds

#29 2015-03-15 18:55:06

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

I simply CANNOT imagine uber programing hacker nerds being a bit on the anti-social side, or at least lacking in some social graces. That beng said, unless and until Linus reaches the point in his life where he is ready to detach from the project, it is always going to be his baby, regardless how much / little he contributes too it. And it is understandable that he sometimes gets irate with what seems to be gross stupidity.

There is a lot of money that hinges around the success of the Linux kernel. I am sure no one is more aware of this than Mr. Torvalds. In this day and age, when so many implementations come out that make zero sense and actually serve to increase code complexity and reduce transparency, I would be a little militant as well. However, when lots of money hinges on something's success, the people who stand to lose the most tend to be the nastiest. I can say this from experience, because when I make mistakes at work, money gets lost and I have to deal with some seriously pissed off people.

I just compiled a 3.19.1 kernel the other day. It took a ocnsiderable amount of time to read the documentation and attempt to understand it all. It's kind of a given, considering how much hardware and different implementations the Linux kernel supports (IE EFI or not for one small example). However, I found the interface to configure it was understandable. It took me a couple of tries, but as I type this, I am running on a 3.19.1 kernel. Now, let's compare this to 2001, when configuring a kernel consisted of command line switches to the configure command. Yep, I'll take it this way any day. A few hours compared to a couple of months really.

In some ways, I feel like...yes we as Linux users and developers should present a more pleasant face to the world at large. However, when I post things to these forums, I fully expect stuff to be vetted and corrected by the community. If I was to decide in some insane moment that I needed to become a kernel developer, I would expect the criticism to be harsh at times.

Bottom line: People just need to check their feelings in at the door. Like it or not, even though Gnu/Linux is FOSS, it is still big business and where money is involved, you can't expect people to be all Peace, Love, and Spare Change.

#30 2015-03-15 21:19:24

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

I was kinda wondering today...:
What would happen if L.T. suddenly decided to develop a brand new, better, "Linux Mk II" kernel, and made it free for everybody, but NOT available for people like the Stallman crowd to steal it from him, and then sent the Linux Foundation guys straight to hell?
That'd be a hell of a move, wouldn't it? ]:D  ]:D  ]:D

#31 2015-03-15 21:40:12

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Even better, Why haven't the critics simply forked the Linux kernel and done their own thing? Oh that's right, most likely because they don't know how. It takes skillz to pay the billz.

#32 2015-03-15 22:14:54

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

@Tknomanzr: exactly!

The way I see it, those people at the Linux Foundation should wait in line everyday for a chance to kiss L.T's ass, just for giving them a chance to work on his baby.
So, being that, instead, they choose to do the opposite, if I was him, I'd set up to develop a new kernel, addressing all the current kernel's known issues, modernizing it, and making it even better.
And then, to fix what (at least from my POV) was his biggest mistake, I'd license it so, while it's free to use by anybody, the copyright remains mine at all times, and I get to decide who can profit from it.

Let's see how that bunch of ungrateful a-holes would like that.

I don't know, maybe I'm a stupid fanboi, but, at least in my opinion, Linus Torvalds should be up there, with the likes of Wilhelm Roentgen, just for the fact that they both stood to make a fortune out of their respective work, yet chose to give it away freely. In a world where money seems to be the only thing that matters, it's refreshing to see there are still people who think otherwise.

#33 2015-03-15 22:28:21

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:

@Tknomanzr: exactly!

The way I see it, those people at the Linux Foundation should wait in line everyday for a chance to kiss L.T's ass, just for giving them a chance to work on his baby.
So, being that, instead, they choose to do the opposite, if I was him, I'd set up to develop a new kernel, addressing all the current kernel's known issues, modernizing it, and making it even better.
And then, to fix what (at least from my POV) was his biggest mistake, I'd license it so, while it's free to use by anybody, the copyright remains mine at all times, and I get to decide who can profit from it.

Let's see how that bunch of ungrateful a-holes would like that.

I don't know, maybe I'm a stupid fanboi, but, at least in my opinion, Linus Torvalds should be up there, with the likes of Wilhelm Roentgen, just for the fact that they both stood to make a fortune out of their respective work, yet chose to give it away freely. In a world where money seems to be the only thing that matters, it's refreshing to see there are still people who think otherwise.

Show some respect for the people working hard to improve the kernel.

As I stated in post #9, Linus Torvalds isn't a major contributor to the kernel; have a look at this list of major kernel contributors for version 3.14 -- Mr. Torvalds is conspicuous by his absence...
http://lwn.net/Articles/590354/

#34 2015-03-15 23:15:52

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Show some respect for the people working hard to improve the kernel.

Oh, I will, I promise. As soon as they start showing some respect for the guy who CREATED it, and/or as soon as they grow a pair, and, if they're so upset about the way the kernel's creator is treating them, they quit, and go work on their own.

As for L.T not being a major contributor to the kernel, sure. After all, his only contribution to the kernel is the kernel itself, and 20+ years of his life.
So, again, if his work isn't that important, and being that he's such an unbearable a-hole, why don't they give him the finger, and go make their own kernel?

#35 2015-03-16 02:51:06

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Agree partly anyway ... with both sides.

Linus Torvalds COULD fork the kernel and likely license future changes in a more restrictive way, though HOAS is right ... There's been so many contribs to it, it hasn't been "his" forever ( then and now). Overall GPLv2, guess future changes could be proprietary licensing, though you'd have to talk to 14 lawyers, cause not like someone can make xyz minor changes to it and WHAM it'd invalidate all the existing licensure involved. It wouldn't.

Linus T couldn'tve made a fortune off it ( Linux kernel) anyway by restrictively licensing it. He couldn't have gotten things to nowhere like it is now ... alone. Imagine back in those dys in the geek subculture if he'dve been overly restrictive in making it available, the nix kernel would've died out and wouldn't be anything resembling what it's become. Gnu/FSF or someone else would've come out w a kernel and nobody would've adopted the nix kernel. They're still talking about HURD, looks like the Linux kernel and all the support it garnered rendered a Gnu kernel mostly pointless. Wouldn't surprise me if it's Richard Stallman's dying breathe act. lol An alternate kernel that's rockhard licensed free and copyleft'ed.

Can't help but having much respect for both FSF peeps ( esp R Stallman) and Linus T.

LT did make his fortune off open source and tech and can't blame him a bit. Am glad for him, right person, right place, right time, good decision making/skills and a dash of good luck thrown in. Think he'd swallow his tongue before he'd split the kernel out from the arrangement it has now. It'd be a disaster ... for HIM, professionally and personally. Imo more personally, doesn't seem like anything he'd ever want to happen.

Am sure he could create some reputable independent project or go to work for whichever tech company making really good $$$. Still would be diametrically opposite to what he's always done, far as I know. Also many non-commercial people ( meaning those who aren't getting paid by intel or Redhat, whoeverelse.)wouldn't contrib to a private kernel proj if they know it's owned and going to benefit xyz commercial entity rather than being open source.

Pointless anal edit: Neither would entities w commercial interests. Not like they'd do the work ( pay for the development involved) and then waive rights to it on behalf of some proprietary project.

It'd be a friggin total azztastic mess and a disaster for all us endusers. When comes to Lt opting not to be PG-13 or rated G 24/7. One thousand percent agree w him, folks expect him to be something other than hisself can go kiss a <censored>. They can choose to live in a world where they think everything is PG-13. People who live in the real world know better. If some adult-childs widdle feelers get hurt at some pt, I couldn't give a chit less. Fact of the matter, don't so much care or lose any sleep if a bunch of those types get their heads bashed in during the course of any given avg day either.

Don't know what to advise such people to do. Guess they should seal themselves into a bubble and be sure to bring enough Disney movies and teddy bears along to stay entertained. Hide somewhere where it's safe to be insulated far FAR away from reality. big_smile

Torvalds accepted the patch with a perfunctory "let's see how this works".

lol Yep ... he sounds real clamped down upon. Think Lt and any other realistic, hardcore techie and free thinkers should turn it into a game. Instead of employee of the month, they could start keeping a great wall of shame. Whoever receives the most complaints about offending over-sensitive azzhats that month, WINS.

Guessing Linus would emerge victorious, as all time you've offended cry babies and hurt the most widdle feelers champion too. Adding yet another respectable laurel to his already impressive list of accomplishments. lol

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-03-16 12:50:58)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#36 2015-03-16 03:07:21

intoCB
Scatweasel

As I stated in post #9, Linus Torvalds isn't a major contributor to the kernel; have a look at this list of major kernel contributors for version 3.14 -- Mr. Torvalds is conspicuous by his absence...

No, this is not correct. Linus develops the kernel. Those other people contribute. He isn't just a public speaker you know.

On a side note, one of the things I enjoyed most about getting to know FreeBSD recently was the realisation of just how much of what Linus inadvertently gets credit for is the work of other people. This thingy with file permissions and daemons etc. did not begin in 1991. What Linus did was replicate that on Intel, which Stallman sees as the completion of his work (and clearly Torvalds was aware of GNU since he referred to it in the first announcement of Linux).

But of course it also part of the wider heritage of unix, the patent of which expired in 1989. This meant that anyone could make a unix, just as long as they didn't call it UNIX, which is a trademark used by various shysters since Ken Thompson misspelt UNICS back in the days when real men had beards and booked time to compute simple operations written in machine code and computers had lights, dials and switches and possibly valves.

If you fancy seeing what "Linux" was like in 1976/1977, take a look at http://pdp11.aiju.de. We had one of these machines at home in the early 80s for a while and it was dull for us kids then too. Note that it didn't have a screen but printed directly onto paper (so no Openbox/Frogatto). If you need a text editor, try "ed".

#37 2015-03-16 03:34:29

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Also +1 HoaS about showing proper respect.

The Stallman/FSF foundation to steal from him ? Dude you really should learn about things before forming and thusly sharing opinions. Whatcha said there is totally clueless nonsense. Again ... read up, learn, thereby actually know and understand things. Lol ... also once again, PLONK arghhhhhh. tongue

Vll! and GNUUUUUUUUUUU !

Richard Stallman, knows the end is near, things are getting dim. Croaks ... bring me my laptop. Tries hard to focus, while going through the files looking for it. Ah, there it is, finds n selects ... w life draining, RS sums up the energy to press the return key, uploading the FSF kernel onto the net.

Then w the weakest of whisper he mumbles to hizself, Gnu .... gnu's not unix and feck you Linux. RS ... dies w a smile on hiz lips. lol

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-03-16 03:39:01)

#38 2015-03-16 04:16:41

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

One more stupe/pointless babble obs on this junk. Yeah am sure everybody's thrilled. tongue

Linus T ... may not be over active in every area of dev'ing the Linux kernel. Though he's moved on from that, isn't hiz overall function and acting as an administrator of the project now. Which is a role the guy is uniquely qualified for no doubt. A relevant analogy imo.

Take a ship, it's got a crew, has a chain of command = Officers, ending w 1 person a Captn. People in the crew specialize in their area of operation sure. No doubt could easily even know more than their Captn about their area of expertise and they push buttons, pull levers etc so forth. Though the Captn haz the overall skills ( @ least should if they aren't an azzhat) to make the big decisions as to where the craft goes. In navigating perils or whatever and ensuring it safely/effectively reaches it's goals.

Which guess in this weirdness Linus T would be more an admiral anyway. Doesn't have to be actively involved w every project or craft in the fleet. As long as he makes good decisions to keep things on an even keel and making progress. Which jmo ... again, dude is uniquely qual'ed in the field to handle.

That's it Torvalds, you dropped one too many F bombs in some obscure Kernel dev mailing list. Get the stuff from your office and clear out mister ! You'll not be offending anymore whiney azzhatz, nor hurtin anymore widdle feelerz bud !

Lmao ... yeah right, keep dreaming.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-03-16 04:23:13)

#39 2015-03-16 11:49:26

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

I don't think it was already said, but Linus once did have a more restrictive license on the Kernel, because as he says "was young and immature and thought money was important" he then changed to GPLv2 and has been quite happy with it ever since. All the more power to him for it.

#40 2015-03-16 15:52:55

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Nm ... edited errrr cuz felt like it. Viva la LT again ! Lol .. nm again, feel betta just leaving it alone. tongue

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-03-16 17:52:10)

#41 2015-03-16 19:48:38

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

BINGO bizcuit ... thought so, Linus T is under contract and protected thereby. Have zero doubt the guy was sure to include and insist upon creative freedoms and independence in how he opts to work. One of those almost surely being, yes ... he can drop F bombs or fire off fektard and azzhat seeking F missles when felt warranted. tongue

See link.

Again ... 1000% and perfectly reasonable attitude.

Sighs folks Vll! lol

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-03-16 20:19:56)

#42 2015-03-16 22:44:54

g33zr
#! Die Hard

Meanwhile, I'm waiting to read some choice colorful quotes from Mr. Torvalds soon. wink

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#43 2015-03-16 23:41:38

pingu
#! Junkie

g33zr wrote:

Meanwhile, I'm waiting to read some choice colorful quotes from Mr. Torvalds soon. wink

fortune-mod is full of them big_smile

$ fortune /usr/share/fortune/linux
...you might as well skip the Xmas celebration completely, and instead
sit in front of your linux computer playing with the all-new-and-improved
linux kernel version.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Real Men don't make backups.  They upload it via ftp and let the world mirror it.
    -- Linus Torvalds

Could somebody drag the Irix team kicking and screaming into the 1980's,
please?

I realize it might be quite painful for them, but maybe you could buy them
a disco tape, so they'd feel a little bit more at home.

-- Linus "Stayin' alive, stayin' alive" Torvalds

He's the Chuck Norris of bossy quotes.

Last edited by pingu (2015-03-16 23:46:05)

"We don't merge kernel code just because user space was written by a retarded monkey on crack."
Linus f****g Trovalds

#44 2015-03-17 01:33:51

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

^ Maybe, but I've always preferred

"Now, with penguins, (cuddly such), "contented" means it has either just
gotten laid, or it's stuffed on herring. Take it from me, I'm an expert on
penguins, those are really the only two options."

and

"I've always liked penguins, and when I was in Canberra a few years
ago we went to the local zoo with Andrew Tridgell (of samba fame). There
they had a ferocious penguin that bit me and infected me with a little
known disease called penguinitis. Penguinitis makes you stay awake at
nights just thinking about penguins and feeling great love towards them.
So when Linux needed a mascot, the first thing that came into my mind
was this picture of the majestic penguin, and the rest is history."

And things of that ilk.

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

#45 2015-03-17 12:00:13

pingu
#! Junkie

> > Other than the fact Linux has a cool name, could someone explain why I
> > should use Linux over BSD?
>
> No.  That's it.  The cool name, that is.  We worked very hard on
> creating a name that would appeal to the majority of people, and it
> certainly paid off: thousands of people are using linux just to be able
> to say "OS/2? Hah.  I've got Linux.  What a cool name".  386BSD made the
> mistake of putting a lot of numbers and weird abbreviations into the
> name, and is scaring away a lot of people just because it sounds too
> technical.
    -- Linus Torvalds' follow-up to a question about Linux

cool

Linus f****g Trovalds

#46 2015-03-17 12:41:16

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Despite all odds, think this thread has proven personally rewarding ! Am adding penguinitus to favorite words list. YaY! tongue

Think there's a few people here who may have a full blown case of penguinitus. Must be airborne ... haven't seen any ferocious penguins anytime recently in the #! forum.

Vll! big_smile

#47 2015-03-17 13:02:56

g33zr
#! Die Hard

^Linus isn't much different from other Scandinavians and Europeans. They tend to be more direct and sometimes blunt in expressing their views, unlike Americans. Personally, I find it refreshing.  smile

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#48 2015-03-17 13:06:51

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Since you guys are throwing around the Linus quotes I'll share. I have been using this one in one of my email accounts for several years. In fact it used to be my sig here on the forums.

"Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time".

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#49 2015-03-17 18:39:24

boromeus
#! Junkie

@CBiz:
More correctly: Linus is a Swedish guy who was born in Finland. Not that it makes much of a difference regarding his style, but it's a fact that some people don't know or tend to ignore. I also belong to an ethnic minority, maybe that's why I'm more sensitive regarding these issues. smile

Last edited by boromeus (2015-03-17 18:53:49)

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2015-03-17 20:23:56

intoCB
Scatweasel

^Finland Swedes make up 5% of the population of Finland. Founded as Helsingfors, Helsinki where LT comes from is historically Swedish speaking but mostly Finnish speaking these days, despite being officially bilingual. Swedish speakers weigh disproportionately in terms of power and you will note that some of the most famous Finns were/are Finland Swedes: Tove Jansson (Moomin creator), Linus Torvalds, Michael Widenius (MySQL/MariaDB). Torvalds is very much Finnish but not a Finn if by that you mean his mother tongue etc. He speaks Finnish although I imagine life in America has probably made it rusty.

Board footer