SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-13 23:44:21

exchimaera

In Need of Distro Suggestions

Hi,

I currently have a relatively new laptop (model probably two years old or less, owned the computer for about half a year). I'm looking for a distribution to put on it that fits the following criteria:
1. Install ISO fits in a CD (<700 MB).
2. Linux kernel version is 3.14 or more recent.
3. Wireless networking basically works out of the box (I need a working computer that will connect to my college's pesky wifi).

I would install CrunchBang on it (and I think I have), but the kernel isn't updated enough to recognize the driver. Does anybody have some suggestions (other than Arch)?

Last edited by exchimaera (2015-02-13 23:47:36)

She wants the systemd.
~ exchimaera

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-02-14 01:03:05

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Re: In Need of Distro Suggestions

It might be worth giving Debian Jessie a try. It has beed frozen for quite a while now and should be getting more stable-usable by now, and it has kernel version 3.16 when I last checked. There are several people exploring crunchifying Jesse on the forums now, so there's that.

Of course you could look at Ubuntu, Mint type things. They usually have very good wireless support out of the box, but something Debian based will probably run a bit faster if it works for you.

These are my rather broad generic suggestions for now.

Edit: Lubuntu 14.10 fits your CD and kernal requirements. I tried it in a VM not too long ago and liked it.
Try using the listings on Distrowatch to check kernals etc. and go from there. Also Debian based distros that are based on stable, but that have a testing version ready to use at this point might be a good bet.

Regarding the Ubuntu or Mint based things, the "alternative" install disks are smaller than the full bloat versions.

Debian Jessie is still my first choice though. A testing netinstall disk is the way to go there if you are comfortable using that. It will give you the option to install just the core system and build what you want on top of that. I have done this several times, and it's not as hard as people sometimes make out. Or you can use one of the preconfigured desktops environments.

Last edited by Anaconda (2015-02-14 01:33:25)

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#3 2015-02-14 01:17:05

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

I'm using Viperr, which is basically a Fedora based Crunchbang, and loving it. It meets all of your criteria, except the .iso is 1 GB, so no CD there.

Another option would be Slackel.

http://www.slackel.gr/

I haven't tried it yet, but it meets all your criteria to a "T".

#4 2015-02-14 01:26:55

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

debian jessie

if the wireless requires non-free then either download the needed firmware and have it ready during the install or use the install images that include non-free firmware http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … -firmware/

#5 2015-02-14 04:12:37

pvsage
Internal Affairs

If you don't need a Live session from the install ISO, I'd also recommend Jessie; the XFCE ISO is probably a good choice, as is the LXDE one.  (download link)  Most wifi chipsets are supported directly by the kernel (3.16), but if firmware is a concern, you might want to grab the firmware tarball and extract it to a USB drive.  (There's also a netinstall ISO that includes the non-free firmware, but there's a little more work getting a complete desktop from there.)
(EDIT:  I see AnInkedSoul posted the link for the non-free netinstall images already.  I'd still recommend going with one of the images that can install a complete desktop straight outta the ISO, just in case you have a cable modem that won't let the installer set a default route.)

If you need a Live ISO that fits on a CD, I'd recommend having a look at BBQ Linux.

Last edited by pvsage (2015-02-14 04:30:15)

#6 2015-02-14 05:09:48

exchimaera

Update:

In order to connect my computer to the college network, I need to input special parameters (username, password, authentication types) that I wouldn't know how to input during install. If I can somehow troubleshoot that, great. If not, then I'm definitely looking toward a CD solution with that level of networking working right out of the box (like Crunchbang).

She wants the systemd.
~ exchimaera

#7 2015-02-14 09:56:00

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ I think both wicd (installed by default from the LXDE ISO) and network-manager-gnome (I think most BBQ spins use this, as does CrunchBang) can handle this for you.

The installer on the Jessie LXDE image will do its job just fine even if it complains about "no default route was set" when trying to fine the internet; once installed, you can set your connection parameters in wicd by opening it (icon looks like a little dumb terminal) from the LXPanel systray.

#8 2015-02-14 11:47:43

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Just a thought on one of your thoughts/responses-OP.

Your college's connection probably isn't the only one you have available. ie: A friend w an unmetered highspeed connection, a starbucks, Mcdonald's ... public library etc etc. Some of which may present fewer issues in getting things up and running for you (or not). Afterwords, once you have a fully working system, adding the school's network should be no biggie.

As for specfic recommendations, would advise hitting up distrowatch and doing some searches + additional search engine searches for the ones you find and put on your list, visiting the distro's forum etc etc. There's 100's of distro's listed on that site. You'll find summin you like ... eventually.

Vll! smile

Oops some babbling after-thoughts, in 2015 any gnu/nix installer worth a dam shouldn't be crippled by needing wireless connectivity. Doesn't mean there aren't any of that sort or that the distro's involved aren't worth a damn, they could be worth some bit of extra effort.

Something else ... am sure you're going to get some good suggestions by the nixers here too. By saying visit distrowatch and look over the choices yourself, didn't mean the kickbutt folks here aren't going to provide some good advice, am confident they did/will. Only that there's so much awesome opensource and options in the world, sometimes it's hard to choose. Sheesh @ the end of this you might wind up w 12 new distro's on your pc(s). smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-02-14 23:11:18)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#9 2015-02-15 01:52:26

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

exchimaera wrote:

Hi,

I currently have a relatively new laptop (model probably two years old or less, owned the computer for about half a year). I'm looking for a distribution to put on it that fits the following criteria:
1. Install ISO fits in a CD (<700 MB).
2. Linux kernel version is 3.14 or more recent.
3. Wireless networking basically works out of the box (I need a working computer that will connect to my college's pesky wifi).

I would install CrunchBang on it (and I think I have), but the kernel isn't updated enough to recognize the driver. Does anybody have some suggestions (other than Arch)?

You could install CrunchBang, add the Backports repo in the /etc/apt/sources.list file, and then install the appropriate image and header packages for kernel 3.16.  Or, you could take a walk on the wild side and change the repos to Testing/Unstable. ]:D

antiX will fit on a CD and you can pull the 3.16 kernel from the Backports repo.  I can't vouch for your WiFi working right after installation though.  However, if your WiFi works OOTB under CrunchBang, you could expect to experience the same under antiX.

I don't know about the MX flavor, but v13.x uses wicd and ceni for networking.  They work, but are a little different from network-manager and lack some of the features in network-manager.  However, if your needs aren't that great, wicd should work fine for you.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#10 2015-02-15 02:13:31

pvsage
Internal Affairs

I've almost always installed the backported kernel in Waldorf myself, primarily because of better wifi drivers; 3.0.4 was just flaky with both my Realtek and Atheros wifi chipsets.  I didn't consider this as an option for OP because I assumed his needs were more dire than this, such as BIOS or firmware that is completely unsupported by 3.0.4.

#11 2015-02-16 03:27:26

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@pvsage:  I've installed the kernel from Backports in the past, but always went back to the kernel from Stable.  I didn't see any difference in the newer kernel.

However, that changed recently upon the acquisition of new machinery.  My ASUS AIO was really flaky with the Stable kernel.  The Backports kernel has resulted in a more stable experience and, crossing my fingers, a recent dbus/xorg update seems to have resolved the intermittant hangs on boot that I've experienced.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-02-16 03:28:51)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#12 2015-02-16 14:31:07

uname
#! Junkie

Debian Jessie Netinstall unofficial, non-free firmware, rc1:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … ie_di_rc1/

-> architecture -> iso-cd -> netinst.iso (hybrid-iso for cd or usb)

If you want Openbox please do not choose a desktop while installation.
If you want another desktop than Openbox search the web or youtube before installation:

Openbox, Lxde, Xfce, Gnome, KDE, Mate, Cinnamon

Openbox:
After Netinstall install openbox, xserver-xorg, xorg and slim or better lightdm.
You can copy openbox-configurations from  #!-live (/home/crunchbang/.config)

I need to input special parameters (username, password, authentication types) that I wouldn't know how to input during install.

Can you change everything (ok, not the architecture amd64/i386) after installation. Ask in this forum.

Last edited by uname (2015-02-16 14:36:48)

#13 2015-02-16 21:53:28

wagmic1
#! CrunchBanger

Hy try voidlinux : here tere s a tuto with openbox here

It s a really interresting distro

I need to learn how to speak/write English big_smile
latest Firefox on #! handylinux

#14 2015-02-17 13:16:38

spacex
ew
Website

Pick one from here: (Does NOT include non-free. Connect to a cabled network somewhere, instead of messing with the tarballs.)
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekl … 64/iso-cd/

OR, if you really need non-free firmware during install, then this is what you want :
http://ftp.free.org/mirrors/cdimage.deb … 64/iso-cd/

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#15 2015-02-17 14:12:16

arcum
#! Junkie
Website

I've just recently settled for Manjaro after borking my latest cb-install... Let's see if I can get used to pacman...

playtime's over - shit just got real

#16 2015-02-18 01:36:04

NewCityVegas
Resident Tech Reporter
Website

Some newly released distros with newer kernels and CDROM size:

Bodhi 3.0 using Enlightenment WM and based on Ubuntu
-- http://www.bodhilinux.com/2015/02/17/bo … 0-release/

Lubit Linux 5 using Openbox and based on Ubuntu
-- http://lubitproject.com/http://sourceforge.net/projects/lubitli … rce=navbar
-- demo: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hbta0