SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-02-15 23:21:31

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Re: Looks Like Someone's Beat the Community in Pushing Out a #! Successor

I think we're putting the cart before the horses here.

Sure, the guy may be an opportunist, trying to take advantage of Crunchbang's legacy. He can also be a real fan, who learned about Corenominal's resignation and stepped up to the plate to continue his work.
He has been told already, in another thread, about Corenominal's wish that the Crunchbang name died with Waldorf. I think we owe him some time to come up with a different name, and the benefit of the doubt, meanwhile. If, after a reasonable time period, he didn't change the name, then I agree he should be treated accordingly.

@ Tknomanzr: sorry about your dad... sad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2015-02-15 23:22:15

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Definitely and the process is by no means rocket science. What's so hard about choosing a new distro name + trademark etc etc. Plenty of good nixers proposing methods, some of which having spent a considerable amount of time @ least online with. I fully believe are kickbutt nixers and people period.

Am also letting off on this. Was mostly a hey this, this and this are things people considering installing #!++ may want to consider first. Dang it ... knew it was bound to happen no matter what and yeah, it personally PISSES ME OFF, shrugs. Plus totally goes against the character of the type of nixers I was babbling about trusting. They wouldn't violate Corenominals wishes. Blahblahblah ...

Sheesh, could even make Corenominal smile to see a based on #! out in the wild. He might even join the community and occasionally contribute to it, w/o all the responsibility of having to dev and maintain etc. Not like he even said you can't use cb-packages, you can't do xyz. Still fully believe Core's a kickbutt guy and do respect him. ( smile Ok enough butt kissing. Shutcha hole biz. )

On a personal note, meant to send condolences about your Father. Saw you mention it in another thread. Suks and hope things are well with you and your family.

Vll!

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-02-15 23:25:04)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#28 2015-02-15 23:55:07

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

I think if he knew what I am managing to do with Linux he would be impressed. I will keep pressing on as time allows because I believe he would want me to pursue this.

He was a hardware guy. A materials speciliast to be exact. Worked for Los Alamos National labs over 30 years. One of his main contributions was figuring out how to radiation harden computers for space applications. He highly respected technical prowess. Once, I jokingly told him I wanted to become an English major and he nearly had a heart attack.

#29 2015-02-16 00:28:41

hinto
#! Windbag

#!11
-Hinto

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't taken the red pill" -Me

#30 2015-02-16 00:49:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

btw most of the things they say on their site don't work yet on #!++ are working fine on Wally, and presumably any number of other #! clones...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#31 2015-02-16 01:00:51

johnraff
nullglob
Website

There seems to be so much misunderstanding about this, so I'll say it again:

Unia wrote:

BunsenLabs is the community project. Wally is merely a tool to figure out what is required and what is not, as has been said in several places now.

@sysaxed no there's nothing on GitHub or anywhere else. Philip's announcement was ten days ago. (In this universe, that's a relatively short time.)

Last edited by johnraff (2015-02-16 01:10:31)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#32 2015-02-16 01:07:17

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

^ Don't under-estimate the awesome job you have done laying the groundwork.  big_smile

#33 2015-02-16 03:16:30

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

How about PlusBang; +!   big_smile

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#34 2015-02-16 03:17:43

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Whoops...I did search for crunchbangplusplus before I started this thread.   :8

CBizgreat! wrote:

Just some random babble.

Your posts are like panning for gold, CBiz.  After you wash away the grit, there may be some gold left over.   wink

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-02-16 03:22:36)

Linux User #586672

#35 2015-02-16 03:23:15

hhh
Cityspeak

What, did they make a release announcement too?

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#36 2015-02-16 03:30:00

spacex
ew
Website

boromeus wrote:

whateva'...

I can no longer follow the different spin-off efforts, not to mention the different names: Bunsen (Labs), Wally and now #!++ all discussed in like 5 different threads here.

Okay, I'll use anything that comes out and resembles Crunchbang, that's for sure. But I find it a bit dissappointing that so many wannabe-successors have been created over the past days. Especially when some things were already settled more or less. Like the name.

Why did we choose Bunsen together and even created some logos and other artwork if now there is even a domain registrated for something else? Will it mean that #!++ is a one-man-show again?

I'm really fed up, so I think I'll stop checking this site for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it will be a bit less confusing to me when I come back.

I agree with you. Bunsen, Wally and other projects from long-standing members and users, are a totally different thing. I do not at all like the fact that Ben Young comes in from the outside and kind of highjacks everything, included a name that immediately makes anyone to assosiate it with CrunchBang. And have no doubt, that's calculated. It's not done in love and admiration. It's more like a gravedigger thing. Grabbing the opportunity to run away with the original work, free branding, and free users.

Actually, it doesn't matter if they are skilled or not. It's simply wrong. Let's follow Bunsen, Wally or whatever springs out of this community, but don't let Ben Young and other outsiders snatch this project. We aren't that desperate are we? A simple remaster of a upgraded original waldorf image is much less buggy than this beta from Ben Young.

Just by reading what he himself describes as known bugs, tells me that. Because none of those "bugs" are bugs that exists in my upgraded installs, and not in my remastered images either. Known bugs???? Like the gtk-bookmarks for example. That's not a bug. A couple of lines with code fixes it, and it is a couple of lines of code in a script that exists in Crunchbang. Ben Young has obviously missed the script and the code, but that's not a  Crunchbang or Debian bug. It's a BEN-bug smile

Why should anyone jump to Ben Young and #!plusplus? Waldorf works fine with Jessie, without any bugs or issues at all. The very few things that doesn't work are easily fixed. Why use something that tries to copy CruncBang, when we without problem can continue using the original. I have a waldorf-jessie.iso all fixed now, and I have no doubts that I will be able to do the same for the release after that also. We can still be using Waldorf 4 years from now. I'm 99.9% sure that it will be just fine. With minor adjustments and fixes.

So my question is still, why are people jumping all over in panic, to a degree where they get captured by outsiders and gravediggers, when we have no rush at all? Waldorf not only works perfect on Jessie, it works perfect with Sid. The next 4 years are pretty much secured. Waldorf is a excellent release that can stand the test of time. Don't panic. I can guarantee anyone a working stable waldorf image 3-4 years from now. A image that isn't just close to CrunchBang, but a image that is the real thing.

But for now, upgrade Waldorf to Jessie and relax.

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#37 2015-02-16 03:38:32

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

hhh wrote:

What, did they make a release announcement too?

No...that is my suggestion as a replacement name for CrunchBang Plus Plus.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-02-16 03:39:02)

Linux User #586672

#38 2015-02-16 03:39:02

hhh
Cityspeak

@spacex, well said. It's to be expected, though. Except for a TM on the name CrunchBang, Philip has encouraged us to come up with artwork, spin-offs, whatever. Obviously there is some commercial potential or, at the very least, ego boosting for those who can attract users who only know the #! Live ISO and installer. So be more skeptical than that. Install Debian. Maybe make it your own, maybe even forget the rest.

@Krunch, I know. I decided to try online-sarcasm without a smiley. Gocha!  tongue

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-16 03:41:17)

#39 2015-02-16 03:40:29

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

@hhh:  I've heard that Debian can be a pain in the rear to install.  Then there's the community... roll  I've found antiX to be a suitable replacement, with a bit of purging, installs, and customization after the initial install.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-02-16 03:41:26)

Linux User #586672

#40 2015-02-16 03:42:18

hhh
Cityspeak

You've heard that? Well, that would stop me dead in my tracks.

8o SARCASM  tongue

-edit- wait, did you just... AAAHHH! GOOD ONE!!!

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-16 03:42:55)

#41 2015-02-16 03:43:48

hhh
Cityspeak

No, you were serious, weren't you.

#42 2015-02-16 03:47:56

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

spacex wrote:

Grabbing the opportunity to run away with the original work, free branding, and free users.

But, isn't that kind of the nature of FOSS?  A bit different scenario, but someone uses a program, sees things that can be done differently and/or better, and does so.  Isn't the opportunity to run away with the original work what kind of drives forks of existing projects?

Linux User #586672

#43 2015-02-16 03:49:00

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

hhh wrote:

No, you were serious, weren't you.

Yes, I was serious.  I've heard that Debian can be a pain to install and setup.

Linux User #586672

#44 2015-02-16 04:13:07

hhh
Cityspeak

Super simple to install and setup from squeeze onward, otherwise #! wouldn't be.

#45 2015-02-16 05:14:59

pvsage
Internal Affairs

johnraff wrote:

btw most of the things they say on their site don't work yet on #!++ are working fine on Wally, and presumably any number of other #! clones...

Yup, OP of that other thread...well...I'll be polite and say that his "beta" isn't anywhere near what I'd call a "preview", while Wally is well into beta.

#46 2015-02-16 05:22:22

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

spacex wrote:

So my question is still, why are people jumping all over in panic, to a degree where they get captured by outsiders and gravediggers, when we have no rush at all?

Great perspective @spacex!
I'm sitting back with my new Waldorf install and am going to peel a banana smile

Waldorf not only works perfect on Jessie, it works perfect with Sid. The next 4 years are pretty much secured. Waldorf is a excellent release that can stand the test of time. Don't panic. I can guarantee anyone a working stable waldorf image 3-4 years from now. A image that isn't just close to CrunchBang, but a image that is the real thing.

But for now, upgrade Waldorf to Jessie and relax.

Huh, I did not even know One can switch to Jessie repos - This I will have to search on the forums, I have been a bad monkey and kept away from tinkering for far too long!  8o

Edit & Facepalm: Guess I have been away for too long - For some reason I thought Jessie moved out of unstable and into release status. Best this monkey thinks before he types wink

Last edited by kbmonkey (2015-02-16 05:41:31)

#47 2015-02-16 09:45:40

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

Is #!++ a 100% clone or does it have some new ideas?

#48 2015-02-16 10:20:07

pvsage
Internal Affairs

From what I can see, it attempts to be a direct copy (as does Wally).  Unlike Wally, #!++ has some significant user interface issues...mostly related to broken pipemenus.  Looks like OP simply copied a few ~/.config files, slapped them into a Jessie installation, and said "Beta!" roll

@computermouth:  I've been holding this back for a while, but...well, the *chan boards have a few expressions for you.
1379303877932s.jpg

#49 2015-02-16 11:13:10

bjmuirhead
#! Member
Website

@spacex  I have to agree with you.
I have been using crunchbang since statler, with nary a problem (except those caused by  myself by running a mixed system. Not Philip's fault.)
It's fantastic to see something like BunsenLabs getting going, but Waldorf Jessie is going to be on my machine for a long time yet. Long enough to find Wally and get the Bunsen burning brightly!

Be excellent to each other!

#50 2015-02-16 12:14:03

sysaxed
#! Member

johnraff wrote:

@sysaxed no there's nothing on GitHub or anywhere else. Philip's announcement was ten days ago. (In this universe, that's a relatively short time.)

Well, and I don't know why. Any efforts on this stage must be shared on github, otherwise you're just playing in your own closed corner.

spacex wrote:

Let's follow Bunsen, Wally or whatever springs out of this community, but don't let Ben Young and other outsiders snatch this project.

Well, one thing you should note is that #!++ is being actively/discussed developed on github. And even though I don't want to promote one or another fork at this stage, I'm actively helping with anything I can.

Even if #!++ is not the way to go, it is definitely a good fallback in case pvsage takes down the community efforts to create another one-man distro... Guys, it is good that we have several "forks" right now. Choice is good.

Board footer