SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-15 23:44:54

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

BunsenLabs Linux- a draft

First of all, I want to thank the member of this community for the countless hours of hard work that has been expended in this process. I also want to give some credit out as so little of this is my original work. First of all hats off to @johnraff for his work with Wally. That process has really been informative and has helped me to streamline the netinst process. Additionally, thanks to damo for artwork and some private pointers on how to get IcyDark looking sufficiently crunchy. Thanks to pvsage regarding his topic winning an internet. Helped me to get wireless running from console. Finally, thanks to everyone in the community for all the feedback on various topics regarding a new spin.

I'm working with BunsenLabs as a working name for this project to help differentiate it from the various other projects going on. It is in no way an attempt to take over anything or anything of the sort. My only objective is to contribute and if the title needs to be changed, then I have no problem with that.

I promised the community another run-through at a netinst. My first was a bit sloppy and I ran into some difficulties that I felt I could sort out and hopefully streamline the process. I am happy to report that this install went very smoothly.

I would also like to point out that my objective was to get an Openbox install up and running with minimal additional apps installed as it is my hope to start running this through Debian Live soon and configuring a Live system. Having read through the process, it looks to be much easier to work in small iterations and test frequently Most likely for this portion, I will move back to my sid install and work through virtualbox.

So enough of the preamble, here's the walkthrough:

First off, I worked with Debian netinst non-free, which can be found here.. This allowed me to work from the Debian installer with wireless up and running which was nice.
Please note, I had to dd the usb key to get the installer to recognize the non-free drivers. If there are other partitions on the USB key it mucks up the installer and you end up in an endless loop of selecting the non-free drivers.

I went through the standard Debian install process. The main thing to remember is to not enter a password for root when given the option, so that debian will setup sudo. At the very end when it offers the option to install additional packages, I chose to only install the base packages. Removed USB key and reboot into console.

edit /etc/network/interfaces with the following:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 dhcp
wpa-ssid name_of_ssid
wpa-psk your_wpa_password

this allowed me to win an internet as @pvsage put it from console.

Now, to get the gui up and running, with the reminder that I am looking for only the most basic functionality atm:

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install openbox tint2 conky-all compton lxappearance lxapperance-obconf lightdm --no-install-recommends
sudo apt-get install xterm geany pcmanfm --no-install-recommends
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-oxygen gtk2-engines-xfce --no-install-recommends
sudo apt-get install gtk3-engines-oxygen gtk3-engines-xfce
sudo apt-get install network-manager network-manager-gnome --no-install-recommends

EDIT: @johnraff obliquely reminded me in his wally thread that until Jessie comes out of testing, we really need apt-listbugs
so:

sudo apt-get install apt-listbugs --no-install-recommends

edit /etc/network/interfaces and comment out all of this:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 dhcp
wpa-ssid name_of_ssid
wpa-psk your_wpa_password

edit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and change the following to true

[ifupdown]
managed=false

Reboot. Lightdm should pick up your openbox install and bring you into a very basic openbox session.
Pull config files off of my github account.

sudo apt-get install git --no-install-recommends
mkdir bunsen
cd bunsen
git init
git clone https://github.com/tknomanzr/bunsen_labs

Now setup the config environment:

cd ~/.config
mkdir compton 
mkdir openbox
mkdir tint2
cd ..
mkdir .icons
mkdir .themes
mkdir bin

Get rid of annoying warning error:

cd .local
touch recently-used.xbel

copy the configs over:

cd ~/bunsen/bunsen_labs
cp -R bunsen ~/.themes
cp -R nouveGnomeGray ~/.icons
cp -R walls ~/Pictures
cp .conkyrc conky_clock_rc ~
cp conky_start ~/bin
cp compton.conf ~/.config/compton
cp autostart menu.xml rc.xml ~/.config/openbox

Restart openbox

openbox --restart

lxappearance and change theme to Bunsen, openbox theme to Bunsen icon theme to nouveGnomeGray.

Ram useage approx. 270mb
Root useage 1.47 GB
Home useage 232 mb

TODO: load in configs as defaults.

Last edited by tknomanzr (2015-02-16 00:53:45)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-02-16 00:16:07

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: BunsenLabs Linux- a draft

Good effort smile

Exciting times! big_smile

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2015-02-16 00:37:26

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Thank you tknomanzr!
I've forked your git repo.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#4 2015-02-16 00:45:19

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Nice! Use or modify what you wish. I am fairly new to gtk themeing and such so Im guessing someone else can push a much more polished product. I understand the CSS in the theming. However, what the css points to is a process of trial and error for me. I also pushed the gimp files for the walls to git, for those interested in modifying them. I feel like the wall still needs to be simpler.

Additional todos: theme grub and lightdm for a more consitent look across the entire boot process.

#5 2015-02-16 00:55:15

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

Very nice to get the ball rolling with Bunsen! Perhaps we should consider creating a Bunsen team/project (whatever GitHub calls them) to which a selected few can push things. We can automate pulling from it in a script (that is of course also available there) to automate the install procedure and have its configs taken from something "official". I for one would be willing to maintain such a thing.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#6 2015-02-16 00:56:39

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

That would be great. I needed a git repo to push my work too so I used my private one but if you want to setup an official one, Im all for it.

#7 2015-02-16 02:01:10

hhh
Cityspeak

Nice work! Some points...

The main thing to remember is to not enter a password for root when given the option, so that debian will setup sudo.

The netinstall.iso installs sudo if you do this? Or is this just easier then installing and setting up sudo yourself? What about gksu?

dd (or cp) is recommended for Debian ISOs, regardless of nonfree drivers, and definitely for Live USB images when the time comes.

Why PCMan when #! uses Thunar? Oxygen engines are for your theme?

You don't need apt-listbugs if your tracking jessie, only if you're tracking testing. All jessie upgrades until the release are bugfixes, don't get paranoid!

Why is everyone creating github accounts for the config files when they're available from the source?...
http://packages.crunchbang.org/waldorf/ … 4-2.tar.gz
IMO opinion this creates FUD (as an aside, so do the Sex Pistols rebranding guys' posts and the All Ur Forumz Belong To Us syndicate's posts, but what are ya gonna do).

Conky clock? Is this a new conky (sorry, I haven't checked out your configs)?

*****seperate-but-related topic, this may need to get split to it's own thread*****

I understand that having an ISO with non-free firmware and configs in place would be altruistic to those who can't do this on their own, and that having an old-skool-forum-members (tknom? How long you use?) produced ISO would be cool, but why hasn't someone familiar with #! (more familiar than me, I have only used it briefly twice, for a week when Statler came out, same with Waldorf) created a post saying...
~Download and burn the netiso (here's 32bit official, here's 64bit official, here are other architectures (*gasp!* Debian!) Same w/ "unnofficial" nonfree
~Install these packages...
~Copy these configs...
~Here are some icon themes...
~Here are some GTK/notification/openbox themes...
~Set up your power management...
~Here are some threads with other options...
~Be free! Learn Debian! Share and enjoy!

And please please please if you ever get full control of the forums, make the Post Preview headline a link and have the "Preview" button focus on the PREVIEW and not the effing INPUT. Sorry for the shouting, I complained to Philip about that 3 years ago or something, I've scrolled up to a lot of previews since then.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#8 2015-02-16 02:03:38

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

@tknomanzr: Nice and clean.

Why is everyone creating github accounts for the config files when they're available from the source?...
http://packages.crunchbang.org/waldorf/ … 4-2.tar.gz

- because they are modified ?
- and some of "we" don't want to use #! repos (clean break)

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2015-02-16 02:07:15)

#9 2015-02-16 02:13:38

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Unia wrote:

Perhaps we should consider creating a Bunsen team/project (whatever GitHub calls them) to which a selected few can push things. We can automate pulling from it in a script (that is of course also available there) to automate the install procedure and have its configs taken from something "official". I for one would be willing to maintain such a thing.

Unia, I think you would be the ideal person for that job.

John
--------------------

#10 2015-02-16 02:14:22

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Yeah those are the configs I setup. They are not stock #! configs. Of course if you look at the source you will see stuff littered around in them that's been commented out because they did originate from #!'s stock configs. I pushed them out to git because I needed them off of the usb drive. Here's the layout. Internal drive runs sid. USB drive i running Jessie. USB stick is for netinst. Git is a bit quicker to setup than setting up ssh and pulling them off of my waldorf desktop. Keep in mind Im not set on any app selection at this point. The point was to bring myself up a system quickly, document the process, then move on to setting it up as a Live Install. Apps can be worked out later. Right now, I just need a framework to work with.

#11 2015-02-16 02:24:41

hhh
Cityspeak

brontosaurusrex wrote:

- because they are modified ?
- and some of "we" don't want to use #! repos (clean break)

I know why you are using them personally, not quite my point. Why ask those who want an "official" #! successor ISO to trust your repo more than the #! one (or the Sex Pistols one, etc... ), when the #! one still exists?

#12 2015-02-16 02:26:07

hhh
Cityspeak

tknomanzr wrote:

Right now, I just need a framework to work with.

Lol, all good, giving my feedback!  tongue

#13 2015-02-16 02:28:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

The main thing to remember is to not enter a password for root when given the option, so that debian will setup sudo.

The netinstall.iso installs sudo if you do this? Or is this just easier then installing and setting up sudo yourself? What about gksu?

Yes. If you leave the root password empty you'll be set up for sudo, on netinstall or any other Debian install afaik. Definitely easier than setting it up yourself. gksu you'll have to install, and possibly edit the debian-alternatives entry to put it in sudo mode.

You don't need apt-listbugs if your tracking jessie, only if you're tracking testing. All jessie upgrades until the release are bugfixes, don't get paranoid!

Beg to disagree. First, tracking jessie is the same as tracking testing till jessie goes stable. I installed apt-listbugs on a fresh jessie netinstall yeterday and was shocked how many serious bugs it reported during the post-netinstall system installation process. (At that point you don't even have the option to "hold" the package because it's not installed yet.) Sure, all upgrades on jessie now should be bugfixes, but there are still plenty of bugs to fix!

And please please please if you ever get full control of the forums, make the Post Preview headline a link and have the "Preview" button focus on the PREVIEW and not the effing INPUT. Sorry for the shouting, I complained to Philip about that 3 years ago or something, I've scrolled up to a lot of previews since then.

Feel for you. That gets to me every day too, but I don't know if there even is a fix, bar recompiling FluxBB. As to "full control of the forums" that's clearly not on as long as Philip is providing the server. He's not going to want it wrecked by any well-meaning dabblers...

John
--------------------

#14 2015-02-16 02:49:42

hhh
Cityspeak

@johnraff, thanks for your kind responses. Cool-o about sudo automatically getting installed. I don't know what apt-listbugs is going to do for you, the bugs preventing jessie from release are the release-critical ones. I don't see how holding a package is going to help. I've never used or managed FluxBB (rhetorical questions, unless you know... you can't set an ID tag to a headline? Or just not to the "Post preview" headline, as in you can edit the text there but not format the markup?)

-edit- I guess apt-listbugs is good if you wantto be fully aware. Personally, I'm going with out of sight, out of mind.   8o

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-16 02:53:39)

#15 2015-02-16 02:58:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

I don't know what apt-listbugs is going to do for you, the bugs preventing jessie from release are the release-critical ones. I don't see how holding a package is going to help.

If you've got a version of the package already on your system that's working OK, and you get a nasty bug reported with the upgrade you're about to run, then you can put that package on hold while you upgrade everything else. Maybe in a few days there'll be a better version available and you can unhold the package.

John
--------------------

#16 2015-02-16 03:11:02

hhh
Cityspeak

jessie is frozen, certain packages have critical bugs still in them, so apt-listbugs warned you when you installed them or when you upgraded to the freeze. No installed packages should have bugs introduced into them by upgrades after that, as only bugfix upgrades are allowed. So what are you holding?

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-16 03:12:27)

#17 2015-02-16 09:06:42

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Nothing now, because the messages came up during the initial install -there were no older packages on my system to hold, so I just had to take the packages as they were, bugs or no. (One of them was related to network-manager's handling of wired connections btw, which some people have been running into round here lately.)

Now, I was thinking that in the process of ironing out bugs, new ones might temporarily appear, even in frozen jessie, so you could usefully wait them out. Is it for sure that every upgrade that comes in for jessie from now on will be safe to apply?

John
--------------------

#18 2015-02-16 09:10:51

Time
#! Member

CrunchBang Linux has also a few bugs.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/crunchbang

#19 2015-02-16 15:34:15

hhh
Cityspeak

johnraff wrote:

Now, I was thinking that in the process of ironing out bugs, new ones might temporarily appear, even in frozen jessie, so you could usefully wait them out. Is it for sure that every upgrade that comes in for jessie from now on will be safe to apply?

I'm going by an assumption here, that the Debian devs are trying not to allow upgrades that will break jessie further (hence only bugfix upgrades allowed). I'm also assuming that if an upgrade DOES create another bug, apt-listbugs won't know about it yet because no bug report has been created.

All that said, it's not going to hurt to have apt-listbugs installed, I guess my point about it being unnecessary was pedantic.  tongue

#20 2015-02-16 15:51:54

rwsChris
#! Member

@tknomanzr: I had trouble with wireless with your suggestion. I found that option #1 followed by a reboot worked for me (https://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic … 74#p372874). It's just a little different than your recommendation.

Last edited by rwsChris (2015-02-16 15:52:23)

#21 2015-02-16 17:56:23

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Cool. Thanks for that info.

#22 2015-02-16 22:18:02

Time
#! Member

Name of the first edition will be BunsenLabs Linux "Fire," "Glass" or "Smoke"?  big_smile

#23 2015-02-16 22:20:16

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Beaker.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#24 2015-02-16 22:30:02

Time
#! Member

ChamPagne?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2015-02-17 01:05:30

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@hhh I guess apt-listbugs is more important for people running Sid. I brought it into the Wally process just to be on the safe side, but on reflection it might indeed have rather less meaning on a frozen Jessie system.

John
--------------------

Board footer