SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-15 05:22:10

computermouth

Looks Like Someone's Beat the Community in Pushing Out a #! Successor

Hey guys, I've loosely followed what's happening on the forums here. And so far, I think what you're putting together with 'BunsenLabs'/'Sparkle Dancer' is great! Meanwhile, I've been repackaging some of corenominal's packages to be friendlier with Jessie. A friend and I just put up a website and a github page with our source. We're planning on documenting our whole process and publishing all our source code.

#!++

We've got a working .iso up and a few fixes and replacement packages. Have a look!
===================================================================
Moderator Edit
Two threads merged ...
Looks Like Someone's Beat the Community in Pushing Out a #! Success by snowpine, and
Beginning++ by computermouth

Things will be out of sync - unavoidable.

Last edited by Sector11 (2015-02-24 00:49:29)

Now powered by #!++, a #! revival project on Debian Jessie.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-02-15 06:20:40

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: Looks Like Someone's Beat the Community in Pushing Out a #! Successor

Thanks, computermouth!  We'll take all the help we can get, and it looks like you've done this kind of thing before...which is a lot more than many of us can claim.

EDIT:  Strike all of that.  Looks like a power grab, especially with the almost-identical name.  If Philip has an attorney, I think Ben Young should expect to receive a C&D.

Last edited by pvsage (2015-02-17 19:49:00)

#3 2015-02-15 06:39:06

computermouth

Thanks pv! Doing my best! You guys seem to really know your stuff too though, especially in the inner workings of #!.

#4 2015-02-15 07:59:08

intoCB
Scatweasel

How does Philip feel about the name CrunchBang being used?

#5 2015-02-15 08:22:46

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ This is an excellent point.

@computermouth:  For now, I'd suggest coming up with a different expansion for the symbols #!++; corenominal wants a clean break between CrunchBang and anything that follows it, and the best way to assure this is a different name.

#6 2015-02-15 15:38:12

computermouth

Noted! I hadn't seen any comment on it from corenominal, but I'd noticed he used WTFPL for all his licenses and figured maybe he just doesn't care then? I'll change it before we get to full release then, thanks for the heads up.

#7 2015-02-15 16:50:05

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

octothorpe exclamation mark plus plus

Doesn't have quite the same ring does it?
hash pling?

#8 2015-02-15 18:33:53

Naik
#! Die Hard

+1 for HashPling
big_smile

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#9 2015-02-15 20:53:39

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#10 2015-02-15 21:00:34

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

Well he's not nameless:

$ whois crunchbangplusplus.org

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#11 2015-02-15 21:01:47

sysaxed
#! Member

No, what he meant is that we should not use #! as the name of the new distro. #!++ is a different name, so it is totally fine. In fact, I really like this one.

computermouth, I actually feel like you're a bit like an outsider. Don't get me wrong, you are very welcome, but I think that not only I have this strange feeling when someone (who is completely unknown to the community) comes and says "Hey, I gonna fix this, I'll do everything right".

Is there any chance we might know you?

That being said, we will like what you do as long as you keep it open. (That is, build configuration and sources on github, please). Thanks.

#12 2015-02-15 21:02:37

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#13 2015-02-15 21:13:01

Time
#! Member

computermouth = corenominal ?  big_smile

#14 2015-02-15 21:13:39

computermouth

Oh I totally know what you mean. I've read most of this entire forum over the years. Most of the time, the help I'd needed was already questioned and resolved here, so I just never made an account!

Your impression of not using "#!" was also how I interpreted it. I've looked through CN's posts on here too, and I see a lot of people saying he doesn't want people calling it CrunchBang, but I actually haven't seen that on here. Unless it was on his twitter or something?

EDIT:

Time wrote:

computermouth = corenominal ?  big_smile

^that part we should definitely make clear. Nope. Nor is he involved. He did tweet our teaser banner though big_smile what a guy.

Last edited by computermouth (2015-02-15 21:15:59)

#15 2015-02-15 21:16:42

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Just some random babble.

People behind that project get a BIG THUMBS DOWN from this nixer. For one thing, they've blatantly disregarded Corenominal's request and wishes. Showing less than no respect to a person who doesn't deserve such treatment.

Secondly ... this is a brandnew distro ... by have no idea who. Release candidate available for download ? HELL NO ... you don't install software from people you don't know/trust. Let alone grossly ignorant and disrespectful people. It violates one of the sacred rulez of gnu/nix on sooooo many levels. For that matter any sensible comp user knows better.

2 more babble cents folks. Vll!

Yep ... afterthought, anyone tarded enough to get involved w such kind of person(s). Good luck and hoping Core cyber bytchslapz em with a DMCA-etc or whatever equivs, if they insist on being monumental azzhatz.

Jmo ... could see giving Core the credit of coming out with "based" on #! and powered by Debian or whatever. Would still be a fledgling distro I wouldn't trust any further than I can throw them and the nearest highrise building. Am sure peeps see what am babbling about. Well meant babble rant and #! public service announcement.

Case haven't made it clear, in my view those people are acting like uber scumbags.

Arghhh, more babble, am not surprised Krunch called em out on that blog, for acting sleazetastic. Plenty of kickbutt nixers here working on options, approaches and alternatives. Still just feels horribly wrong for whoever ( whatever unknown fektards) to do what they're attempting and trying to use #!'s name + trademark etc. Despite the specific request Core made that it not be done.

Other guy on blog said, yeah ... You'd have to do a Debian netinstall, then spend wks making it similar to #! ? Anyone who would need wks to do so. Doesn't only need a computer class, they need a computer class geared towards retarded people. Jmo ...

Yeah ... are plenty of kickbutt nixers here, past/present. Would have no problem beta-testing anything they personally endorsed. Unknown disrespectful azzhats ? ... Hell no again. Sheesh #! isn't even in the ground yet and folks are trying to pick over the bones and poach on what's left of it's community ? Sad ... so sad.

FECKERS ! Well I feel a bit better having vented w this babble. Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-02-15 22:08:49)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#16 2015-02-15 21:30:01

Time
#! Member

Anyway
# ! + +
   +1

#17 2015-02-15 21:44:10

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

computermouth wrote:

Your impression of not using "#!" was also how I interpreted it. I've looked through CN's posts on here too, and I see a lot of people saying he doesn't want people calling it CrunchBang, but I actually haven't seen that on here. Unless it was on his twitter or something?

Remember this?

Otherwise, this quote comes directly from Corenominal himself in the thread where he announced the ending a day before doing so public:

Corenominal wrote:

Regarding the name, I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. While I'm not precious about it, I would prefer a clean break from the project and the continued use of the name might hinder that. Besides, would it still be CrunchBang? Or something entirely different? Hmm.

And, right after that, there was this:

Corenominal wrote:
chillicampari wrote:

I think the name should be retired. It's part of an era, a specific culture and nothing could really replace that.

I think that would make me happy smile

These quotes should suffice.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#18 2015-02-15 21:53:51

Time
#! Member

♥ !

#19 2015-02-15 21:58:58

boromeus
#! Junkie

whateva'...

I can no longer follow the different spin-off efforts, not to mention the different names: Bunsen (Labs), Wally and now #!++ all discussed in like 5 different threads here.

Okay, I'll use anything that comes out and resembles Crunchbang, that's for sure. But I find it a bit dissappointing that so many wannabe-successors have been created over the past days. Especially when some things were already settled more or less. Like the name.

Why did we choose Bunsen together and even created some logos and other artwork if now there is even a domain registrated for something else? Will it mean that #!++ is a one-man-show again?

I'm really fed up, so I think I'll stop checking this site for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it will be a bit less confusing to me when I come back.

#20 2015-02-15 22:06:40

sysaxed
#! Member

Unia wrote:

#!++ is clearly a distinct name and indicates a break from the project. There is no problem whatsoever.

Last edited by sysaxed (2015-02-15 22:11:42)

#21 2015-02-15 22:11:07

sysaxed
#! Member

boromeus wrote:

I can no longer follow the different spin-off efforts, not to mention the different names: Bunsen (Labs), Wally and now #!++ all discussed in like 5 different threads here.

It is totally fine, I'm trying to support all of them. But in the end only one project wins, that's for sure (unless the community splits and we see two distros going into different directions).

boromeus wrote:

Will it mean that #!++ is a one-man-show again?

That's why we need several projects being developed at the same time. At least on this stage.

However, that's a good question. Every distro maintainer must indicate whether he is going to keep it community-driven or not.

#22 2015-02-15 22:11:49

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

sysaxed wrote:
Unia wrote:

#!++ is clearly a distinct name and indicates a break from the project. There is no problem whatsoever.

Uhm.. no. Crunchbang++ is still 10/12 the same name.

sysaxed wrote:
boromeus wrote:

Will it mean that #!++ is a one-man-show again?

That's why we need several projects being developed at the same time. At least on this stage.

However, that's a good question. Every distro maintainer must indicate whether he is going to keep it community-driven or not.

BunsenLabs is the community project. Wally is merely a tool to figure out what is required and what is not, as has been said in several places now.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#23 2015-02-15 22:33:02

Time
#! Member

CrunchBang will soon become as Debian...  big_smile

JD1EH.png

#24 2015-02-15 22:35:59

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

CBizgreat! wrote:

Just some random babble.
People behind that project get a BIG THUMBS DOWN from this nixer. For one thing, they've blatantly disregarded Corenominal's request and wishes. Showing less than no respect to a person who doesn't deserve such treatment.

Just did a debian netinst with non-free drivers and brought it up to basic openbox with all of my configs which I had pushed out to git in roughly two hours. Fixing to post notes in a new thread. I say basic because I don't want a ton of apps to deal with while I work out using Debian Live stuff to setup a live iso. Better to set that all up in small increments according to their wiki. I still have some refinements to make but I have a pretty good working rough draft going at this point.

Jumping out and grabbing publicity like that was kinda uncool imo. You wanna create an Openbox + Debian spin that's fine by me. Just don't attach the #! name to it if you're not even gonna be an active part of the community. Anyway, I'll let that alone for now as I feel good about the progress I'm making considering I work a 9 to 5 and have twin 5 year olds to take care of and am having to deal with the loss of my father. I'd love RL to quit happening for a bit so I could focus down and grind this out but ehh...RL tends to happen with or without my permission.

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2015-02-15 22:54:04

sysaxed
#! Member

Unia wrote:

BunsenLabs is the community project.

Well, is there anything set up on github or elsewhere? I would be happy to see it.

Board footer