SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#76 2015-02-14 18:00:49

boromeus
#! Junkie

Re: Wally - a Waldorf replica on a Jessie netinstall

^
Why was it important for you to make the script now, when it's not entirely sure what exact steps we need to create "Wally"? In other words: a script should be written when we already have the final, desired outcome without any script.

Be excellent to each other!

#77 2015-02-14 18:26:40

isosceles
#! Member

LXDE sounds like the way to, for me, for now. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

#78 2015-02-14 19:45:35

pxl8r
Website

I made a repo for the script, can be seen here: https://github.com/csmr/jesbang

#79 2015-02-14 21:51:46

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

boromeus wrote:

^
Why was it important for you to make the script now, when it's not entirely sure what exact steps we need to create "Wally"? In other words: a script should be written when we already have the final, desired outcome without any script.

I can't speak for the people who are actually doing the work, but in my experience, there are some people who prefer doing to planning. All of the work done so far can be modified when (and if) the "exact steps" and the "final desired outcome" are ever determined. This thread is just one option among many for people who want to continue. IMO, there is (and will never be) only one way to achieve the goal.

#80 2015-02-15 00:54:28

Joe90
#! Junkie

pxl8r wrote:

Hmm just tried this out. After script completed could not login with lightdm, just kept refusing. OK to login and startx from another console. my user did not have sudo either.

#81 2015-02-15 01:34:22

johnraff
nullglob
Website

porkpiehat wrote:

All of the work done so far can be modified when (and if) the "exact steps" and the "final desired outcome" are ever determined. This thread is just one option among many for people who want to continue. IMO, there is (and will never be) only one way to achieve the goal.

Right.

At the risk of over-repetition, the aim of Wally is to come as close as possible to Waldorf on Debian Jessie. If I grasp the general feeling round here correctly, the "final desired outcome" will be something different from that. Packages will be added/removed, settings altered, menus changed, options added/removed...

In other words, the first BunsenLabs release will be a lot better than Wally, which is just a tool for picking apart what made Waldorf "Crunchy".

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#82 2015-02-15 03:55:10

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

The tricks is the nearly 100 pages down in Janice thread. We have to get something functional before we finalize plans or we will dither endlessly on what to put in the darn thing. The quickest way for the community to die would be for us to sit back and do nothing. Besides, a good many of us on these forums can't help ourselves. We "must" tinker and this is as good a subject as any atm.

#83 2015-02-15 05:21:33

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

I followed johnraff's instructions, though not directly... the only hiccup I ran into was forgetting the contrib repo.

Also, for some reason, despite deselecting the gnome desktop environment in the debian netinstall it installed it anyway... so i uninstalled it and it probably left some cruft which then may or may not have conflicted with the other installs.

Installed on an asus eeepc netbook.

apt-listbugs was complaining about sudo which is... troubling. So I put a hold on sudo, but it seems like it installed it anyway? I've never done apt-mark hold before... so maybe it worked and it just seems as though it didnt

Last edited by orionthehunter (2015-02-15 05:21:56)

#84 2015-02-15 05:24:16

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

Oh, also... I'm getting a double volume icon effect... not sure why just yet. I'm assuming some desktop file is launching that and network manager before my openbox autostart comes into effect. Possibly a side effect of the gnome-install.

#85 2015-02-15 05:31:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

pvsage wrote:

Back to Wally. wink

~$ aptitude show user-setup
Package: user-setup               
It is only likely to be of any use
 if your system has no non-system users at all.

It looks like this is only of use if you install a system with only a root account and add an initial user later.  It's a tiny script, but we can probably omit it.

We need somewhere to keep a list of little changes like this to go in Bunsen. They'll easily get forgotten otherwise. Anyway, I'll make a personal note of that one, and any others that I run into (like remove abiword neutral), but somewhere public where everyone can contribute would be better maybe (as long as it doesn't turn into another "ideas for Janice monster).

Fonts packages are trending away from ttf-{fontname} and toward fonts-{fontname}; most of the older packages are now "transitional dummy packages" that have the new package(s) as depends, which "provide" the old package name for those applications that require them.  It looks like you (or corenominal) have already replaced ttf-dejavu with fonts-dejavu and ttf-droid with fonts-droid, but we should probably go ahead and do the same with ttf-freefont and ttf-liberation (fonts-freefont-ttf and fonts-liberation respectively).  Not sure if ttf-mscorefonts-installer will follow suit shortly or not, since it's a contrib package that installs Microsoft-licensed fonts.

dejavu and droid I ran into when checking with apt-cache: the ttf-* packages no longer exist. I've now also updated freefont and liberation in the CheatSheet, and the regular posts will follow. ttf-mscorefonts-installer keeps its old name.

These are the filesystem management packages that I mentioned which I think should be installed at the same time as Thunar:

e2fsprogs xfsprogs reiserfsprogs reiser4progs jfsutils ntfs-3g fuse gvfs-fuse fusesmb

...just in case somebody needs to check some notes on, for example, an NTFS drive halfway through the process.

OK moved up.

I'd also probably move the network manager packages to the top (possibly even before Thunar) as well, or include something along the lines of "how to win an internet from the command line" at the very beginning of the guide.

Moved the network packages up too. Though, considering we're starting from a netinstall, I can't quite imagine what users will be without a network at this point? Still, I did hit an issue with the non-free wireless-enabled netinstall in which /etc/network/interfaces gets overwritten at the end of a wireless install, requiring it to be edited to enable wireless again...

Anyway, I've tried to bring a bit more order into the way apps are grouped in the CheatSheet. Please let me know anything else that could be improved.

John
--------------------

#86 2015-02-15 05:32:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

orionthehunter wrote:

Oh, also... I'm getting a double volume icon effect... not sure why just yet. I'm assuming some desktop file is launching that and network manager before my openbox autostart comes into effect. Possibly a side effect of the gnome-install.

Gnome sounds like the culprit. yikes

John
--------------------

#87 2015-02-15 06:48:34

pvsage
Internal Affairs

johnraff wrote:
pvsage wrote:

I'd also probably move the network manager packages to the top (possibly even before Thunar) as well, or include something along the lines of "how to win an internet from the command line" at the very beginning of the guide.

Moved the network packages up too. Though, considering we're starting from a netinstall, I can't quite imagine what users will be without a network at this point? Still, I did hit an issue with the non-free wireless-enabled netinstall in which /etc/network/interfaces gets overwritten at the end of a wireless install, requiring it to be edited to enable wireless again...

You may have noticed I've started a separate thread about "winning an internet".  (The phrasing comes from a silly meme - "Congratulations!  You win an internet."  I thought it was cute at the time. roll )  The fact of the matter is, for some strange reason, the Debian Installer can't seem to find its way through some cable modems to a router that will let it see the net.  Anyway, my suggestion above in this thread was based on what was available on the DVDs, but since the net is so central to modern computing, I still think it's a good idea to get the GUI net management stuff early.

#88 2015-02-15 08:44:12

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I just ran the virtual machine back to just after the netinstall, and went through the CheatSheet as it now is, to check. Everything seems OK.

I think there's still some scope for thinking about which packages need to be installed with recommends, and which without. At one point I was installing gnome-user-guide...

Next up is to try it on some real hardware.

Last edited by johnraff (2015-02-15 08:45:03)

John
--------------------

#89 2015-02-15 10:22:33

pxl8r
Website

Joe90 wrote:
pxl8r wrote:

Hmm just tried this out. After script completed could not login with lightdm, just kept refusing. OK to login and startx from another console. my user did not have sudo either.

edit: Next time restart after the script. Login manager loads automatically.

edit2: I changed the script so users are able to sudo automagically.

Last edited by pxl8r (2015-02-15 10:54:50)

#90 2015-02-15 12:10:19

Kuno
#! Die Hard

orionthehunter wrote:

Have a look at "/etc/xdg/autostart". I.e. LXDE puts some default autostart-files in there , might be the same with you.

#91 2015-02-15 18:28:41

Joe90
#! Junkie

pxl8r wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
pxl8r wrote:

edit: Next time restart after the script. Login manager loads automatically.

edit2: I changed the script so users are able to sudo automagically.

I did restart after running script, still refuses smile

thx for the sudo fix smile

#92 2015-02-15 19:50:16

rwsChris
#! Member

rwsChris wrote:
rwsChris wrote:

So just a short update:

I installed Wally on my Asus EEE 1000 HA. It works just fine so far. I printed out the cheat sheet and entered it manually.

As someone already mentioned, you must add non-free and contrib to the sources.list.

The other thing so far that I have noticed is that I installed with a wired connection and as I installed the network manager software, there is some notification to the extent that something else (I want to say ifupdown) is managing that connection. So once you login and you take a look at your internet notifications in tint, you will find that it says that Ethernet Network is "device not managed," and although you can ostensibly connect with the wireless, I am unable to actually browse anywhere. Perhaps the network manager needs to be given permission to manage the wireless.

Just another short update. So evidently since I installed with the wired connection the service ifup@eth0.service managed that connection, but it also got in the way of using wireless.

I used the following to find out what services were running.

systemctl --type=service

Then, I stopped ifup with this.

sudo systemctl stop ifup@eth0.service

I guess systemd only allows one manager to operate at time.

Several new users (who are not yet permitted to post) have sent me messages explaining the solution to this.

Edit /etc/network/interfaces:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

Comment out the two lines under primary network. (This, evidently, allows network manager to do the work.):

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
#allow-hotplug eth0
#iface eth0 inet dhcp

Save and reboot.

#93 2015-02-15 20:00:26

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

rwsChris wrote:

Several new users (who are not yet permitted to post) have sent me messages explaining the solution to this.

We are working on this  hmm Great to see that people are contributing regardless of this issue, though!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#94 2015-02-15 23:27:14

hhh
Cityspeak

@johnraff, theme fixes...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 21#p419021

BTW, scrollbars need to be darker, yes?

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-15 23:29:39)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#95 2015-02-16 00:08:17

hhh
Cityspeak

hhh wrote:

BTW, scrollbars need to be darker, yes?

Answer: Yes; Status: Done.

#96 2015-02-16 00:42:06

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Installing apt-listbugs before doing a virtual re-install of Wally was quite a revelation. There are still plenty of unsquashed serious bugs on Jessie, and network-manager has one of them, indeed related to wired connections.

If you're just connecting via eth0 and dhcp is fine, then you don't really need network-manager anyway. Just uncomment those lines in /etc/network/interfaces and reboot, and you should be online? No?

@hhh thank you.

Last edited by johnraff (2015-02-16 00:42:42)

John
--------------------

#97 2015-02-16 00:49:27

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Pretty much. Why add the weight of network manager if you don't need it? I forgot apt-listbugs on my install lol. Forgot Jessie is not stable yet. systemd-analyze blame will show network-manager take forever to start.

#98 2015-02-16 01:02:47

hhh
Cityspeak

tknomanzr wrote:

Why add the weight of network manager if you don't need it?

You don't at all on a desktop. Not even on a laptop, as you can use ceni from aptosid/siduction with no problems, but the systray feedback of nm-applet or wicd is very convenient.

My virtual thoughts are with you regarding your recent loss. >_< *concentrates*

#99 2015-02-16 01:04:24

hhh
Cityspeak

@johnraff, my pleasure. And who is The Man in this cryptic comment?...

I hope The Man has got his eye on this, or possibly a colour-tweaked version of it, for inclusion in BunsenLinux.

I, I'm guessing you mean tknom.

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-16 01:15:21)

Be excellent to each other!

#100 2015-02-16 01:42:20

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Yeam ima give it a spin because I really want to shift my focus  lol  I needed something at the time and pulled what I could find that I could make use of and doctored it up. I believe my theme still has issues here and there. I'd be glad to just hand that part over so I can dig into this Live Install thing and see if I can make it work.

Board footer