SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#251 2015-02-08 18:35:29

Yogi
#! Member

Re: The end.

I've been using #! since the beginning of 2009, on the same netbook I'm writing on right now, and #! still runs smoothly on it.

Thank you Corenominal for all the hard work you did for us.
This forum you created was home to the kindest community I've known.

All the best to you and Bobobex !

Asus EeePC 901A (16Gb SSD) - Waldorf - Wally
old 2002 Toshiba laptop (512Mo) - Waldorf

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#252 2015-02-08 19:03:40

pxl8r
Website

Good job!  Thank you!

#253 2015-02-08 19:16:45

borntwisted
Website

Hope your feeling the love Corenominal, you deserve every bit of it!

The generousity of you and the members has lead to a wealth of knowledge that can only lead to make this ever increasingly techy world a better place.

Don't feel any guilt about your decision, you have been more than generous with your time and efforts, we all just want to make sure you know just how much it is appreciated  smile

#254 2015-02-08 19:34:35

Naik
#! Die Hard

borntwisted wrote:

Hope your feeling the love Corenominal, you deserve every bit of it!
Don't feel any guilt about your decision, you have been more than generous with your time and efforts, we all just want to make sure you know just how much it is appreciated  smile

+1 Thanks!

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#255 2015-02-08 19:40:56

murak
#! Member

Thank you for everything and good luck!

Cheers from Gotland, Sweden.

CrunchBang Linux 11 "Waldorf" 64-bit - Thinkpad X230 / i5 3320M / 16Gb ram / 240Gb Sandisk Extreme II

#256 2015-02-08 19:58:25

amjjawad

HELPME wrote:
amjjawad wrote:

I tend to disagree with you. There are so many users out there with old machines. Most of them are poor to the point they can't buy new machines nor even upgrade their old ones. There are everywhere in this world.
Also, there are many users who appreciate and like minimal/lightweight systems even though they have better machines. I should know because I have been working and dealing side by side with those for years smile

Thus, I'm approaching you and this kind and nice community that you formed around Crunchbang and share with you the progress of one of my projects, that is ToriOS:

http://torios.net/

ToriOS, while it is build based on Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, we simply challenge all the systems that are based on Ubuntu to show figures like we currently have. It is unbeatable when it comes to how fast and easy to install as NONE of the systems AFAIK is using the installer we're using with ToriOS. So far, we're close to Beta and our tests show 60MB of RAM (less or more) when idle.

tiny slitaz only uses 8mb
tiny core linux uses as low as 9mb

Hi,

I'm a huge fun on SliTaz and have tried to join them and offer my full help and support but didn't really contribute to any project outside the Ubuntu family.

With all due respect to SliTaz and Tiny Core, we can't compare a FULL features OS with systems like SliTaz and Tiny Core. These can't be compared to a system based on Ubuntu that works out-of-the box where users don't really need anything but install the system smile

SilTaz and Tiny Core lack many features. You can't offer that to someone coming from Windows world wink

ToriOS is built for newcomers to GNU/Linux world + those who like the approach or philosophy of building their system the way 'they' like.

I thought ToriOS would be hard for newcomers but the way we developed it is amazing and again, we're using an installer that is never been used elsewhere and it is super fast and super easy smile not even Ubuntu nor its official variant have that.

Thank you!

My Website: http://amjjawad.net
My Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad
Current Projects: Kibo, ToriOS and Ubuntu GNOME
Member of GNOME Foundation and Ubuntu

#257 2015-02-08 20:48:13

olegabrielz
#! Junkie

@amjjawad: I don't think this thread is the proper place to promote alternatives to CrunchBang. This thread has become a place to show respect to corenominal, his decision, and for this community.

Just my opinion..

#258 2015-02-08 20:59:54

toobuntu

I've been a #! user since the beginning, usually in a VM for secure web browsing. As a former user of fluxbuntu, after that became defunct and I learned that openbox is more standards-compliant, I was looking for a nicely configured openbox setup on a lightweight system. #! was it! The forums and wiki had useful info (even though I don't remember registering under any other name or posting before today).

I always thought of #! more as corenominal sharing his nicely configured and minimalist personal desktop with the world. Thank you for doing that all these years.

Last edited by toobuntu (2015-02-08 21:04:48)

#259 2015-02-08 21:20:36

boromeus
#! Junkie

Hi everyone!

I haven't been here for a long time, simply because everything worked on my #! system, so I didn't have to ask for any help... that tells everything. Oh, BTW, I'm still using Statler, because until half a year ago it was still supported as oldstable and since then I didn't really have time to upgrade. Actually I was waiting for Janice. I'm a bit sad, but at the same time pretty much amazed by the fact that in a couple of days we already have many possible solutions for the future and members of the community are very active. So, I don't feel that it's really "THE END" of something, more like "THE BEGINNING" of something new, as it was mentioned in at least two separate threads so far. Since I'm just a user and have no clue about developing operating systems, I can only help you guys with suggestions. But I really will, at least I will share my ideas. Last but not least: THANK YOU, thank you and many thanks to Corenominal, bobobex, the moderators and everybody here.

Regards from Belgrade

#260 2015-02-08 22:19:18

Erathiel

I haven't been active in the forums (this is like my 7th post here), but I've been and still am very deeply and truly in love with CrunchBang so I just wanted to say: THANK YOU for creating such an absolutely amazing distro, Philip! And a big thank you to everyone else involved.

The first time I gave it a spin was around when I got myself a netbook - a lightweight machine to carry with me to university on every single day. Not being a powerful computer it needed a system that was light on resources, so I began searching for one and came by #!, Statler at that time. I fell in love with the simplicity, lightness and responsiveness and I did fall in so deeply that I've stayed with CrunchBang even after switching to a new machine that had resources enough to run a bloated distro without a frown.

So this is it. CrunchBang has been an amazing adventure and a great love of mine. I guess I'll keep using Waldorf for some time and then I'll have to move on, perhaps to a new project that springs from #!.

<><
Swim against the current.
Only dead fish and fallen leaves go with the flow.

#261 2015-02-08 22:28:35

zbreaker
#! CrunchBanger

Thank you Phillip for a distro that I have simply loved to use over the years. All the best to you in your future endeavors. Change is an inevitable part of life and frequently brings wonderful things.

H-ohcg

#262 2015-02-08 22:39:29

VDP76
#! Bean Roaster

So long and thanks for all the code, Corenominal!
I wish you all the best for your future projects, may they be as successfully as #! has been! smile

Even though I moved on from #! myself, I truly hope someone will pick up from where you left, the distro is great and so it is the community, it would be sad if we would lose them in the Linux 'verse...

#!#!#! Forum etiquette #!#!#!
Are you a new member!? Have you introduced yourself?!
CLI basics | LVM | smxi | chrooting | multiarch

#263 2015-02-08 23:25:30

PsynoKhi0

Well I for one didn't see that coming...
#! has always been on one of my systems (since at least 2009), and my go-to secondary distro thanks to its streamlined, no-nonsense approach. And it was rock-solid to boot - except once but a Broadcom wireless chip was to blame, surprise surprise wink
So yeah... Great distro, great community.
Thanks corenominal! (but what are *you* going to run on your machines now? big_smile )
And thanks to all of you who contributed.
I certainly hope we'll see a spiritual successor. Maybe "HeadBang, because #! is still rockin'"?

Last edited by PsynoKhi0 (2015-02-08 23:31:28)

#264 2015-02-08 23:39:28

scacinto
Website

Corenominal:

I'm extremely grateful for such a wonderful distro.  I've been running #! on my Linux machines for years and really think it's the best distro I've used for general purpose computing since I started with Linux in 2004.  I haven't been on the forums a lot because, well, I didn't need to be.  #! is as stable and well-functioning as any distro I've used.  I'm a bit cheesed at having to "move on" because, like everyone I think, when I find something as great as #! I want it to last forever.  Of couse, nothing does and I'm really glad to read you are moving on for the right reasons, though as many have pointed out and I agree, I don't believe #! is of no value -- if I did I wouldn't use it almost every day.  I hope #! has a new life with new devs and a new name (though please for the love of Hitch, not Sparkle* ...)  But moreso, Corenominal, I hope you have a great new start with the new projects you care about.  Thank you so much for all the hard work.

http://www.scacinto.com

#265 2015-02-08 23:43:38

damo
#! gimpbanger

scacinto wrote:

....  I'm a bit cheesed at having to "move on" because, like everyone I think, when I find something as great as #! I want it to last forever.  ...

No need to move on. Wheezy will be supported for  a while yet, or you could dist-upgrade to the next Stable (jessie) and keep your crunchbang config, with a bit of care.

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#266 2015-02-09 00:13:08

amjjawad

olegabrielz wrote:

@amjjawad: I don't think this thread is the proper place to promote alternatives to CrunchBang. This thread has become a place to show respect to corenominal, his decision, and for this community.

Hi,

Thank you for your post!

Indeed, this is why I have registered to this forum and posted on this thread (please check my comment/post #222).
I know very well how hard it is to put a system together and I'm here to show my appreciation, even though I have never used #! on my machines, just tried it few times but again, I should know how tough and how painful it is as I've been around with many projects for +5 years now.

Whatever contribution you show/provide to the FLOSS/GNU/Linux world is much appreciated and I'll be forever thankful for that, no matter what even though I'm not using this or that software.

I'm sorry if my post(s) seemed as promoting. In fact, I'm offering my help and support if needed. If no one needs my help or the communities I'm coming from, that's fine but still my main reason is showing appreciation.

Just my opinion..

Which I highly respect and I am not going to discuss further regarding ToriOS; those who wish to talk about it can contact me directly or post on the off-topic area here except I am not sure I have time to look at that so better to contact me.

If ANYONE here needs any kind of help, please let us know. Communities must help each other whenever needed smile

Thank you and wish you ALL the best and good luck in whatever positive pursuit you're after!

My Website: http://amjjawad.net
My Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/amjjawad
Current Projects: Kibo, ToriOS and Ubuntu GNOME
Member of GNOME Foundation and Ubuntu

#267 2015-02-09 02:06:07

Twix2247

Corenominal,

Thank you for putting forth the effort and time to create a not just a great Linux distribution, but a whole community as well. The community you fostered has been very helpful to me and other new users learn and explore Linux through #!

Best of luck on your future endeavors and thank you again for Crunchbang.

#268 2015-02-09 02:50:23

caieng
#! CrunchBanger

Agree with eleven pages of comments praising Philip.  Great job.  Only one thought, I guess, that has not yet been expressed in this thread of homage, and that is the sinking feeling I had, on going to distrowatch, to observe the absence of CrunchBang among the list of distros available.

That's when I realized:  What happens when ALL the distributions fold their tent?  Today, CrunchBang, tomorrow, Debian itself?  I would not have imagined that such a fantastic operating system, could simply vanish, but, it is gone.  How terribly sad....Did Microsoft buy out Philip?  Can't blame him.  He has done a marvelous job, and M$ would have been very smart to have given him an institute of his own to manage.

#269 2015-02-09 03:12:00

nextanswers

Thank you very much for your effort.

CrunchBang is my first linux disto. & still I use it.  cool
I learn many things from you & forum.

I wish, all the best to your future & your family.

Thanks again.  {)

#270 2015-02-09 03:28:41

HELPME
#! Junkie
Website

#271 2015-02-09 06:16:28

bjmuirhead
#! Member
Website

Ah well, I have been trying to ignore this since I saw Philip's post on facebook a little while ago. Time to get my head out of the sand.

I started playing with linux in 1999 or 2000 (memory failing), but Crunchbang was the distro that provided everything I needed and, like so man others, gave me so little trouble that I rarely came to the forums.

Brilliant distro, thank you for every second you put into making it the best linux experience I have ever had.

Damn, I was ignoring the news because I knew it would upset me to say anything. Tears in my eyes.

Have the best time in all of your new projects, and life generally.

#272 2015-02-09 07:07:04

intoCB
Scatweasel

caieng wrote:

Did Microsoft buy out Philip?

Microsoft can't afford Philip.

#273 2015-02-09 08:34:27

vic
#! by Default

Have thought about this during the weekend. Trying to find the positive angle about it. The only thing that comes to mind is that I now have to find myself a new Linux base distro. So thank you Philip for pushing me over the edge.  smile

Time to move on!#

#274 2015-02-09 08:52:47

ferenc
#! Member

Thank you for the great entrance to Openbox, to the great thrills of having some fun with my computer again.

I am sorry I will have to go lubuntu + openbox with new machines, but if it runs (and it does) ...  sad

I have a suggestion: couldn't we all join and make an "official" jessie openbox guide/distro with usual apps and look? Just a guide to upgrade debian netinstall to a new "#!"

And please, when you build one yourself, just make the iso public, without support.

thanks for everything,

Blaž

Be excellent to each other!

#275 2015-02-09 09:48:59

siva.devel

Thanks for an awesome distro Philip. I have been using Crunchbang in one way or the other in my systems since the start. Initially when the project was started, it was my primary distro. Things changed in course of time and now though #! is not my primary distro it is always the distro of choice when I want to run a development machine in a VM. I am yet to find a distro which can give all the flexibility you want and still run under 150MB of RAM. Guess that is what I am going to miss the most. Good luck for your future projects.

Board footer