SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#76 2015-02-06 20:17:05

Gamonics
Website

Re: The end.

chillicampari wrote:

(quick pop in)

I have had to remove a post from this thread regarding incentive funding. Please do not start third-party funding campaigns. Anything like that should be cleared with corenominal. Thank you.

(back to thread)

Sheesh! Sorry 'bout that. I don't think anyone "cleared" the similar gestures started for GnuPG with Werner Koch before starting them. Indeed, the whole notion of asking a recipient's permission to try and raise funds for their project seems to fly in the face of good manners to me, but ok...

Scratching my head about the logic of that, but I readily acknowledge that I'm new here, so... my bad. Honest, well-intended mistake.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#77 2015-02-06 20:19:36

fiver22

Woke up to a twitter explosion.
Crunchbang has been an amazing example of clean/light design, usability, and community. It was my second distro and I've gone back to it more than a few times over the years. I know that I've learned a lot from this project and I'm sure that it will influence me in the future.
So thanks.
I'm really thankful for the work you've done, corenominal; best wishes for you and yours.

#78 2015-02-06 20:26:06

aiBo
#! CrunchBanger

Corenominal, thank you for sharing your desktop in form of the Crunchbang distro for several years. It was an inspiration when CrunchBang was based on Ubuntu and it has been an inspiration since it is based on Debian. Maybe even more.

I've always admired the sleek style of it and although I have been using different distros and WMs in the past couple years, my current desktop has still details back from my days with CrunchBang.

I wish you all the best with your future projects and hope you'll always be on the dark side having cookies. big_smile

#79 2015-02-06 20:29:44

secdroid
#! Member

Thanks  Corenominal for years of happy experiences with Crunchbang.  It has been my favorite distro, by far, because of its stability, configure-ability and light weight.

Thanks also to the forum moderators and participants.  While I was mostly a lurker, this user community is one the best.

#80 2015-02-06 20:31:29

bozhkov
#! Junkie

I just want to express my gratitude to @corenominal and the awesome community that still keeps it up over here. It has been a pleasure, as I reflect now, for the last 5 years to be a (albeit minor) part of it all. I learned a lot about Linux and scripting from my experience with #! and I remain deeply in love with the minimalist aesthetics smile Cheers!

#81 2015-02-06 20:43:33

Gamonics
Website

Gamonics wrote:

Sheesh! Sorry 'bout that. I don't think anyone "cleared" the similar gestures started for GnuPG with Werner Koch before starting them.

Ok well, both of those campaigns were taken down in the last 45 minutes, but you might still find references to them in the Disqus comments of the article. With all the $100k+ funds Werner received from other major contributors, I guess they were superfluous, but I've always felt it was the thought that counts. And I don't see any major funds coming from other sources for #!.

#82 2015-02-06 20:51:00

Unngenant

I'm very sad because this path...I find this distro and most of all this community most friendly in the world of open source. There is always someone who will spend a time to help with some questions. Indeed I did not spend much time here but every time whey I was back the wall, I did not find help on Ubuntu, Debian, or not to mentions Arch community, but always friendly hand here.

Maybe I did not always had #! as first options because work and games but always one of five distro I always back to try again.

Thank you all so much.

#83 2015-02-06 20:51:04

chillicampari
Pinball Wizard

@Gamonics, I'm sure the gesture is appreciated, but corenominal stated his reasons in the first post. Were he interested in that at this time, he would have done it already. Anything like that should be cleared with him directly. Thank you.

#84 2015-02-06 20:54:06

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Thanks @corenominal for making an incredible distro. THIS is the distro that inspired me to explore distros other than those with a Desktop Environment.

Crunchbang has tought me a lot, and though I'm still learning more every day, I'll still use this as my #1 reference distro.

thanks again @corenominal!!!

#85 2015-02-06 21:01:29

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Wow, a lot for me to respond to, so I'll post my responses in the thread damo started here.

#86 2015-02-06 21:14:43

vlax
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I think I'm gonna love Crunchbang for the rest of my digital life {)  tongue  gracias Corenominal por compartir este excelente proyecto, mi máquina y yo también sentamos raices con este sistema

... long live to the #! forums&community ! smile

'_[=]_'

#87 2015-02-06 21:18:47

wagmic1
#! CrunchBanger

Bon je me permet d écrire en français pour te remercier toi pour  !# et ces magnifiques communautés francaise et anglaise
Bonne chance pour tes futurs projets

Last edited by wagmic1 (2015-02-06 21:19:40)

I need to learn how to speak/write English big_smile
latest Firefox on #! handylinux

#88 2015-02-06 21:20:58

Hanna
Conky Queen

*sniff*

I remember when I first tried #!, it didn't quite work for me at that time, something do with repos, if I remember correctly. But I decided to give it another try because the concept really attracted me. And since then until late last year, crunchbang was my main distro. it's still my favourite distro even if I'm using Ubuntu Mate in my newer computer (OMG I went back to Ubuntu, I can't believe that). While I haven't been active here anymore, this community made me feel welcome.

Thank you Philip!

HANNA (without "h" in the end) likes green and #! smile
Also know as ultraturquoise online

#89 2015-02-06 21:27:07

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Blimey.

You know, I've been terribly nervous about posting my resignation and really quite worried about what people might say, but the responses I read today have really blown me away. It's been really heartwarming to read all the nice things people have been writing and I really never expected anything like this.

Thank you to everyone who has replied, I know I've made the right decision, but it didn't make writing my post any easier. That said, your kind words have made my day very pleasant, if not a little sad. Still, I'm not actually going anywhere and I'll still be about, so happy days and ...

... rock on Sparkle Dancer! smile

Seriously though, thank you!

Last edited by corenominal (2015-02-06 21:49:39)

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

#90 2015-02-06 21:39:56

jlacroix

I've loved Crunchbang and I'm sad to see it go. I certainly wish corenominal the best going forward.

But there is one thing that bothers me a bit. Now, there is currently no viable Openbox spin of Debian. Sure, there is LXDE, MATE, Cinnamon, KDE, GNOME, and possibly other spins of Debian. But not everyone wants to run LXDE or the others. There is still a market for an Openbox spin of Debian, and now there is nothing to fill that need. So while I can understand someone needing to move on, saying that Crunchbang has no reason to exist anymore is simply not true.

I hope that someone picks up where Crunchbang left off. We do have an Openbox edition of Manjaro, as well as Archbang, but as far as Debian is concerned, without Crunchbang you'd have to roll your own Openbox config going forward. And while that's fine for a lot of people, there was a charm to have a preconfigured Debian Openbox and now we don't have that.

I think that Crunchbang should be turned over to the community and allowed to continue under the stewardship of someone else. I can understand not having time for it anymore and needing to move on, but the ideals of Crunchbang and the charm that it has shouldn't need to die with it.

I'm glad that someone already mentioned continuing it, under the guise of "Sparkle Dancer". But what I actually would love to see is Crunchbang's configs ported to Jessie, without any other changes other than a GTK3 compatible theme (since current GTK3 versions aren't compatible with the current theme).

The fact is - a Debian-based Openbox distribution is definitely needed and there is definitely a market for it. I really hope someone picks up on this and continues where #! left off. If "Sparkle Dancer" is this continuation, that's great. But I hope it's not too different.

Last edited by jlacroix (2015-02-06 21:46:01)

#91 2015-02-06 21:47:13

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

^ This is actually doable and has already been done by this community.

#92 2015-02-06 21:53:48

ronaldo99
#! Member

Already posted once -weird thing is I woke up this morning thinking I would spend the day trying to find another distro,as I had a feeling # was going to end soon.Before I had seen "the end " post I had gone through a couple of bbq`s-vsido-antix-bridge-archbang-finally zorin.All brilliant distros.......but just didnt feel right.Am writing this using Zorin,nice light distro,great for listening to music,but shit none of them come close to #.
Dont know why,when I am using # its just so natural.

In fact going to install it again and let it run into the sunset.........

Or until Sparkle Dancer is launchead-nice thread-exactly what # is/was about.

Last edited by ronaldo99 (2015-02-06 22:07:24)

#93 2015-02-06 21:59:46

rayburn

Terrible news! Sorry to have to say that, but that is my reaction.... However, I would like to add all my grateful thanks to those who have already posted on here and say that this will be a much missed distro by myself. I have used it extensively over the past few years and it is running my server, I do hope that the community can take up where corenominal has left off and continue to provide a wonderful niche distro.

Best wishes to corenominal and many, many thanks for the years of pleasure it has given us regular users!

If I can be of any help in keeping this distro alive in some form, I volunteer my (very limited!) services.

#94 2015-02-06 22:00:52

r0th0m

OMG ... The end of the world is near. A life without #! ????? Any chance to transform #! to a community driven project? Phil, thank you for the greatest distribution th eworld ever has seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#95 2015-02-06 22:03:38

gurtid
#! Junkie

Thank you and best wishes to you Corenominal.

all your Base are belong to us

#96 2015-02-06 22:06:58

lurka

Thanks, and good luck! Crunchbang for a long time felt like home when it came to linux distros.

#97 2015-02-06 22:17:07

pvsage
Internal Affairs

corenominal wrote:

... rock on Sparkle Dancer! smile

LOL.  It's a "working title".  You know it's meant to be changed at some point, right? wink

#98 2015-02-06 22:21:29

france75006

Great memories.

Dear Philip, thank you very much for what you did with CrunchBang and for what you've managed to create with this forum, which really is one of the best place on the Internet. I'm indeed using vanilla Debian since a few months now, but I like to come back often to read the new threads. I'm sure that this bunch of great people has a new role to play, if the moderators (no words are enough to express my debt to them) are willing to keep helping!

Asus 1001PX:  Waldorf
HP ProLiant MicroServer: Wheezy
Lenovo E330: Waldorf
Dell T20: Jessie

#99 2015-02-06 22:32:04

m1rr0r5h4d35
#! Member

NOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

For all my bitching and whining I have always felt that this was a great distro. Super simple and minimal OOTB with unlimited potential. You did a great job man. My best wishes for you.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#100 2015-02-06 22:42:28

Matt3223

Thank you for making CrunchBang available to all of us. I have enjoyed it over the years and have learned a lot as well!

My little 4-year old netbook I still use everyday at work running CrunchBang will be sad...

Thank you forum moderators for all of your hard work as well! I didn't post often, but read much!

Board footer