SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-18 15:52:54

jonboy

Browsers and add-ons etc

Ok after a lot of searching around looking for a browser that are private and has regular security patches i figure i may as well stay with ice weasel. Am i right so far?

But with all these add-ons and extensions who really looks into how safe they are? I never thought much of this and was happy after reading the paranoid thread adding on all these extensions. But who checks and regulates these?   Can anyone write a extension and get loads of people to use it without them knowing what is in the script? Or am i just being super paranoid?

Regards

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-01-18 16:37:49

iMBeCil
WAAAT?
Website

Re: Browsers and add-ons etc

^If I correctly understand what you are wondering about:

Paranoid - you don't believe to anybody, and unless you have access to the source of the program (add-on in this case) - which you carefully study and compile -  you don't use that software.

Normal - 'bike-shed effect' (ie Parkinson's law of triviality) ... if the program is several lines of bash or python script, you carefully study it, and assure yourself that program is safe, even contact author to send him your improvements lol ; otherwise - program is too long and too complex and written in C++/C/BF, you simply say 'ah, this software use millions of knowledgeable people, so should I safely'

Careless - you don't inform yourself what the program does, what is the license, because you saw it on the friend's laptop, and it was really really nice; usually, such user don't even read questions/notifications during install ... instead, blindly presses 'OK' and 'YES'

Now, ask yourself: am I Paranoid or Normal or Careless user?  ]:D  ]:D
And, probably more important, do I have sensitive data on my HDD and/or do I visit dubious web sites?

I would put myself in the Normal category, since I have no knowledge nor time to study all software sources ... with occasional Careless adventures, but only in VirtualBox big_smile

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..
--> The very new BL forum! <--

#3 2015-01-18 17:11:34

jonboy

I used to be more on the careless side of things, but now i guess i'm more like you slash paranoid. I've just found this, a little old now https://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/warning … -you/12394. Then there is this one http://www.bullguard.com/bullguard-secu … sions.aspx

Last edited by jonboy (2015-01-18 17:16:09)

#4 2015-01-18 17:57:21

twoion

jonboy wrote:

Can anyone write a extension and get loads of people to use it without them knowing what is in the script?

Yes. That's easy.

Or am i just being super paranoid?

No, it's a valid concern.

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#5 2015-01-18 22:25:26

jonboy

Just installed the jondofox browser and using the ixquick search engine. Ixquick seems good to start off with but as son as i try to watch a youtube video throu jondo with all it's extensions then one of the extensions is causing a problem.

#6 2015-01-19 02:16:04

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Iceweasel is a rebrand of Firefox, so I'm not sure it's real private.  If you like Iceweasel, I would recommended purging it and using Firefox instead; see ivanovnegro's great how-to.  Firefox from the official site is a standalone app and is very easy to update.

There's also chromium and the chrome browser.  I favor the chrome browser over chromium because chromium can be buggy.  The new Opera browser is nice as well, but it will not run on Debian Stable as it uses a newer libc6 package.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-01-19 02:17:27)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#7 2015-01-29 10:22:57

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

There's also Vivaldi.

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#8 2015-01-29 11:40:33

jonboy

Sorry mate, yeah i run chromium atm, i like the setup and like chrome too. I dont like all the reporting back that goes on with it, not that im up to anything too dodgy anyway, but i do get intrigued by how guns and how they work. End up looking at all those how to make a shotgun etc and just paranoid that im going to get a knock at the door sometime. 

Opera looked great but i didn't like it, think the older version would only work on deb. After doing all my research it seems having a browser that is private but secure gave me 'epic' just not available for linux yet!!!!!

Vivaldi looks like it's worth some more research and a trail by the looks of it!! Cheers cool

Board footer