SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#2851 2014-11-27 13:42:57

Alad
Software Satan
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 1,512

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Why are all PDF readers/editors in Linux straight from the landfill. I thought I could settle on Okular - but renaming/moving a PDF loses ALL bookmarks (unless you dive into XML, maybe  8.( )

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#2852 2014-11-27 15:39:15

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Alad wrote:

Why are all PDF readers/editors in Linux straight from the landfill. I thought I could settle on Okular - but renaming/moving a PDF loses ALL bookmarks (unless you dive into XML, maybe  8.( )

Yes, Okular (by way of poppler) can only save annotations as of now You can go File>Export as>Document archive though which will save both the metadata and the PDF to a single file, circumventing broken filepath->bookmarks mappings. sad

You could script around pdflatex though for creating bookmarked PDFs: Burst the PDF into single pages with pdftk and create a latex document that includes the PDF pages and if necessary, add a bookmark to the page. Here's some LaTeX that can be used for adding the bookmarks to pages (no guarantees!). big_smile

\usepackage{pdfpages}
\newcounter{bookrefcnt}
\setcounter{bookrefcnt}{0}
\newcommand*{\nlevelbookmark}[3]{% \nlevelbookmark{<pdf-file>}{<bookmarktext>}{<level>}
  \stepcounter{bookrefcnt}
  \ifcsname BookmarkTargetName\endcsname%
    \renewcommand{\BookmarkTargetName}{bookref\arabic{bookrefcnt}}
  \else%
    \newcommand{\BookmarkTargetName}{bookref\arabic{bookrefcnt}}
  \fi%
  \includepdf[pagecommand={\thispagestyle{empty}\hypertarget{\BookmarkTargetName}{}}]{#1}%
  \bookmark[dest={\BookmarkTargetName},level={#3}]{#2}}

With this,

\nlevelbookmark{path/to/pdf}{This is a bookmark!}{1}

will include the page and set a top-level bookmark on it,

\nlevelbookmark{path/to/another/pdf}{A nested bookmark!}{2}

will create a second-level bookmark below the first.

(I just use Adobe Acrobat in a VM, btw.)

--
This doesn't change the fact that Donald Knuth is very cool.

Last edited by twoion (2014-11-27 15:39:58)


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#2853 2014-11-27 15:48:59

Alad
Software Satan
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 1,512

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

^ I was trying to compile gcc-gcj earlier for pdftk, but after a felt 6 hours it failed.  neutral

Looks like VM is the way to go; cheers.

Offline

#2854 2014-11-27 17:32:00

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer
Registered: 2014-03-12
Posts: 925

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

CM 12 Unofficials avaialble for some S4s, but not for the SPH-L720. I am getting remarkably offended.

Oh well. Guess I can wait.


"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

Offline

#2855 2014-11-28 09:11:27

Alad
Software Satan
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 1,512

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Found this:

http://code-industry.net/pdfeditor.php

In terms of functionality it's comparable to Acrobat 5, but beats Okular and manual edits in any case.

edit: nvm, it eats a few GB of RAM in use  yikes (and is very slow in use)

Last edited by Alad (2014-11-28 10:51:57)

Offline

#2856 2014-11-28 11:54:28

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2010-09-02
Posts: 596

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

e-Cigarette from China Infected Man’s Computer with Malware

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/e-cigarette- … 34849.html

Through the USB charge cable.
So even if they were okay for you they're still dangerous.

And there is research from Japan showing 10 times the carcinogens of regular cigarettes in e-cigarettes.

Last edited by jeffreyC (2014-11-28 12:04:28)


There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

Offline

#2857 2014-11-28 12:05:47

exidux
#! CrunchBanger
From: Your screen.
Registered: 2014-09-05
Posts: 202
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

jeffreyC wrote:

e-Cigarette from China Infected Man’s Computer with Malware
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/e-cigarette- … 34849.html
Through the USB charge cable.
So even if they're okay for you they're still dangerous.

It seems i was not the only one thinking about exploit dangers concerning the usb
mode switch for usb devices. even gnu/linux has packages to handle the mode switch
from driver installation towards the actual device its function.


~ When jessie hits stable you could upgrade crunchbang and keep it alive a bit longer.

Offline

#2858 2014-11-28 14:05:36

damo
#! gimpbanger
From: N51.5 W002.8 (mostly)
Registered: 2011-11-24
Posts: 5,434

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

jeffreyC wrote:

And there is research from Japan showing 10 times the carcinogens of regular cigarettes in e-cigarettes.

Citation please?


BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Offline

#2859 2014-11-28 16:33:49

boisei0
#! CrunchBanger
From: Gaanderen, Netherlands
Registered: 2013-07-16
Posts: 193

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

When understanding a lot of languages gets you into slightly awkward situations:
Today, on my train ride home, a man and a woman talked the whole journey in Russian. I, having nothing better to do, hear a lot of conversations in the train on a normal ride, but today it was different. Nobody understood them, so the rest of the passengers kept doing their normal business. They were unable to understand the innuendos the pair was using in their talk. Not that I'm an expert in Russian, but I did understand enough of their conversation. It started slow, like 'what is that?' (pointing to a cow outside) 'that is my biggest love for you'. I got lost in the quickness of their talking, shortly after 'what do you want to eat?' 'I would like to eat your third leg'. O:)
When they got out of the train, I had to argue with myself about whether to greet them in Russian, but in the end, I didn't. The better choice, I think... wink


YAWS (cli weather script with conkyForecast syntax) | Bitbucket | Github | Blog
Member of the Unofficial #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#2860 2014-11-28 17:53:27

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Alad wrote:

Found this:

http://code-industry.net/pdfeditor.php

In terms of functionality it's comparable to Acrobat 5, but beats Okular and manual edits in any case.

edit: nvm, it eats a few GB of RAM in use  yikes (and is very slow in use)

I have a free Acrobat license by way of my university. So no need to pay for memory-leaking or badly written software smile

If you want very a (functionally) good application for annotating PDFs (for NIL $$$), there's always Mendeley: Fast, response (Qt?) GUI, very handy PDF tools and the capability of saving PDF files with annotations/highlights.

The reason I usually don't recommend this program is that it's now owned by Elsevier and phones home (I didn't bother investigating workarounds (/etc/hosts, iptables, ...) since I don't want that kind of software in my system. But you could at least check it out (in a VM), functionally it's probably the most polished, professional-grade PDF toolbox on Linux.

Last edited by twoion (2014-11-28 17:54:26)


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#2861 2014-11-28 19:13:40

Alad
Software Satan
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 1,512

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

I have a free Acrobat license by way of my university.

Lucky - me, I get a free copy of Office 365.  8.(

Thanks for the tip on Mendeley.

Offline

#2862 2014-11-28 19:58:48

TicTac
#! Junkie
From: Wherever You Go, There You Are
Registered: 2014-10-23
Posts: 256

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

boisei0 wrote:

When understanding a lot of languages gets you into slightly awkward situations:
Today, on my train ride home, a man and a woman talked the whole journey in Russian. I, having nothing better to do, hear a lot of conversations in the train on a normal ride, but today it was different. Nobody understood them, so the rest of the passengers kept doing their normal business. They were unable to understand the innuendos the pair was using in their talk. Not that I'm an expert in Russian, but I did understand enough of their conversation. It started slow, like 'what is that?' (pointing to a cow outside) 'that is my biggest love for you'. I got lost in the quickness of their talking, shortly after 'what do you want to eat?' 'I would like to eat your third leg'. O:)
When they got out of the train, I had to argue with myself about whether to greet them in Russian, but in the end, I didn't. The better choice, I think... wink

HA!  lol   ... "Awkward", no doubt!

At least they weren't talking about you. It's interesting how some people will speak in their native language while in public and under the false impression, they're within a bubble and no one can understand them.

Last edited by TicTac (2014-11-28 20:00:11)


"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

Offline

#2863 2014-11-28 20:01:06

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2010-09-02
Posts: 596

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

damo wrote:
jeffreyC wrote:

And there is research from Japan showing 10 times the carcinogens of regular cigarettes in e-cigarettes.

Citation please?

It was linked to from the other article:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/new-research-j … co-1476932


There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

Offline

#2864 2014-11-28 20:26:37

damo
#! gimpbanger
From: N51.5 W002.8 (mostly)
Registered: 2011-11-24
Posts: 5,434

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

jeffreyC wrote:
damo wrote:
jeffreyC wrote:

And there is research from Japan showing 10 times the carcinogens of regular cigarettes in e-cigarettes.

Citation please?

It was linked to from the other article:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/new-research-j … co-1476932

That link (the one I could find anyway) to the Japan Health Ministry, shows no announcement of any official study planned, contrary to the implication in the article.

Sounds like a typically sensationalist media interpretation of one piece of research using one extreme piece of data from one e-cigarette. And the description of formaldehyde, which is ubiquitous in most urban environments, as "used in embalming" is also typically mis-informative.
Ecigarette Research shows the original data table, and goes on to say..

A study by Canadian researchers in 2008 evaluated the levels of formaldehyde in mainstream cigarette smoke. As shown below, the levels were on average 200μg/cigarette, which is 6 times higher than the highest value (34μg) found in e-cigarette aerosol by Kunugita


BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Offline

#2865 2014-11-28 21:14:04

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

I just ordered my new notebook – ATM I think it is going to run Arch.

Main reason: bohomil's infinality bundle, since I am still stuck on the patched freetype 2.4.9 instead of current freetype 2.5.2.


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#2866 2014-11-28 21:25:39

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

boisei0 wrote:

I had to argue with myself about whether to greet them in Russian, but in the end, I didn't. The better choice, I think... wink

I'm of two minds:

  1. say nothing and the day is saved, for you this time. and for them until the next time when someone understand them and takes offence in a bad way.

  2. greet them in their language and explain that they should be careful what they say as someone might understand them.  You might get a couple of :8  :8  but no harm is done.


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#2867 2014-11-28 21:28:58

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:

I just ordered my new notebook – ATM I think it is going to run Arch.

Main reason: bohomil's infinality bundle, since I am still stuck on the patched freetype 2.4.9 instead of current freetype 2.5.2.

Yay!
Welcome to Arch!
big_smile

Offline

#2868 2014-11-28 22:00:47

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
twoion wrote:

I just ordered my new notebook – ATM I think it is going to run Arch.

Main reason: bohomil's infinality bundle, since I am still stuck on the patched freetype 2.4.9 instead of current freetype 2.5.2.

Yay!
Welcome to Arch!
big_smile

Thanks smile But of course the Debian option is still open (haven't even laid eyes on the machine yet big_smile).

I'm currently roaming the archwiki, deciding on whether to boot in EFI or BIOS mode since I absolutely don't have any use for EFI ... EFI is unnecessarily complex -> probably BIOS.

This is the fs tree I fancy:

/               ext4       32G
/boot           ext2        1G
/home           xfs       128G
/mnt/library    xfs       128G
/mnt/share      xfs        16G
/mnt/vm         xfs        64G
/opt            xfs        32G
@swap           swap       16G
/tmp            tmpfs       4G
                          ----
                          417G/500G

Oh, setting up a new personal machine is fun.


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#2869 2014-11-28 22:05:42

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:

I'm currently roaming the archwiki, deciding on whether to boot in EFI or BIOS mode since I absolutely don't have any use for EFI ... EFI is unnecessarily complex -> probably BIOS.

Read this first:
https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/2 … work-then/

It's v. easy to set up -- you need a 512MiB, FAT32-formatted EFI system partition mounted at /boot and then just use gummiboot.
It's almost worth using EFI just for the chance to use gummiboot --  it's awesome!

We don't need no stinkin' bootloaders! ]:D

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-11-28 22:06:13)

Offline

#2870 2014-11-28 23:35:05

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
twoion wrote:

I'm currently roaming the archwiki, deciding on whether to boot in EFI or BIOS mode since I absolutely don't have any use for EFI ... EFI is unnecessarily complex -> probably BIOS.

Read this first:
https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/01/2 … work-then/

It's v. easy to set up -- you need a 512MiB, FAT32-formatted EFI system partition mounted at /boot and then just use gummiboot.
It's almost worth using EFI just for the chance to use gummiboot --  it's awesome!

We don't need no stinkin' bootloaders! ]:D

Basically, what I want to retain is the ability to -- in the case of an extreme hardware failure/emergency -- just plug the hard disk into another machine and boot the system on the disk. So long.

The only other computer I have with me is my current TP x121e. It has a very buggy UEFI implementation from 2011. I actually tried to set up Arch on here first in 2011 (because it had well-documented UEFI guides on its wiki) and failed due to black screens and crashes. Got frustrated, disabled EFI, went BIOS+MBR, and Debian (since I came from there, and if there was no EFI involved there was no reason to switch). It was the system I'm running right now. My concern is that I cannot plug in my UEFI system disk into my other UEFI computer and have it work while I expect a BIOS system disk to work on most other computers.

I've been following EFI over the years and explored the backside of it a bit: Not that what the user sees and works with (and around [bugs]), but I wanted to see what it looks like from a programmer's perspective.

I admit that I'm not really up-to-date right now about the state of UEFI, but this 2012 talk at Linux conf pretty much sums it up: UEFI was (is?) a mess. On my main production computer, I wouldn't want the bad aspects of UEFI. Thank you for the link to that blog, I just got interested into looking a bit further into the current state of UEFI again.

Now, the primary criterion for me would be whether I can use all hardware functionality of my new box in BIOS mode. If yes, I would as of now tend to go BIOS, if not, I'd try EFI first...
--
Irrational comment: I'm against FAT-type filesystems on my hard disk. *shudder*


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#2871 2014-11-28 23:40:44

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

twoion wrote:

Irrational comment: I'm against FAT-type filesystems on my hard disk. *shudder*

Me too -- I mount /boot read-only just in case...

Offline

#2872 2014-11-29 00:21:29

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 2,256

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

swap on an SSD is what makes me cringe the most.

Offline

#2873 2014-11-29 00:36:55

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

CSCoder4ever wrote:

swap on an SSD is what makes me cringe the most.

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html
http://www.zdnet.com/ssd-endurance-deat … 000030656/
It's just not an issue anymore...

Offline

#2874 2014-11-29 02:03:15

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll
From: /dev/zero
Registered: 2013-09-03
Posts: 2,256

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

I still wouldn't do it.  roll

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2875 2014-11-29 02:26:12

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard
From: not where I belong
Registered: 2012-03-02
Posts: 3,264

Re: Completely Off Topic Chat

Alad wrote:

Why are all PDF readers/editors in Linux straight from the landfill. I thought I could settle on Okular - but renaming/moving a PDF loses ALL bookmarks (unless you dive into XML, maybe  8.( )

That is bizarre.  Does evince not suit your needs?

If you are interested in a full-fledged PDF app for the Linux environment, and don't mind that it's not free, checkout Qoppa PDF Studio.  I use it on two of my machines.  The nice thing about their license is that you can use one license under two different instances.  It works very well for my full-fledged PDF purposes.

twoion wrote:

I just ordered my new notebook – ATM I think it is going to run Arch.

Main reason: bohomil's infinality bundle, since I am still stuck on the patched freetype 2.4.9 instead of current freetype 2.5.2.

If you're more interested in using Arch versus setting it up, checkout Antergos.  It's a really nice distro and is very easy to install.  From what I've read, it's one of the few spins whose developers get along with the Arch developers.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2014-11-29 14:14:04)


Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo