SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-11-18 17:56:24

Vic47

Please help the linux newbie solve NO SOUND in #!

A "little" foreword...

I really apologize for posting such a topic and not referring to "no sound" topics found here, but for me it's almost the first time trying Linux OS, and i don't undertand anything written in those topics. I just need a step-by-step guide for a noob, if you'll be so kind to spend your time to help me.

So the thing is: i've recently got a quite old laptop (notebok), Prestigio Cavaliere 143, with some stupid 'looks and sounds like Vista" WinXp build installed on it, with so much viruses that i'm not sure it is clean by now after scanning with all antivirus soft i could get, but even now the laptop lags like hell, so i just wanted to format the hard drive and install a fresh copy of WinXP. But here comes the problem: i't can't boot form USB since it's too old, and, apparently, there were no USB-boot back then at all, and for some reason it won't boot from CD-ROM too... So i've extracted it's HDD, but it into a USB-mobile rack, and ported a freshly installed WinXP on it using Acronis... But it won't boot either! After that i've tried Win98 (some protection fault = no boot) and then i finally decided to try some linux distros...
I've tried Android-x86 (no boot too) and Ubunty 14.04 (booted up, but eats CPU up to 98-100% while idling, so it's not an option for this dinosaurish laptop) and then i've stubled upon Crunchbang...
I've used 32bit version for old PC's, answered "y" to every and all questions in cb-welcome dialogue, performing (supposedly) a full update to the system and then i've found out that there is no sound, no matter what i try. I suppose there is no appropriate driver for the sound card of this laptop in #!, or i just don't know how to enable it, since the sound works when i boot up another PC from this HDD put into that USB mobile rack.

So, can anyone here help a person like me, who uses Linux almost for the first time, to solve this problem?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-11-18 17:59:47

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: Please help the linux newbie solve NO SOUND in #!

Hello Vic47, welcome to #!
Open up a terminal type the following command in and copy & paste the output of the command here please:

lspci -knn | grep -iA2 audio

EDIT: When you say "no matter what I try", it is very useful if you tell us instead exactly what you have tried to prevent us duplicating the troubleshooting you have performed yourself wink

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-11-18 18:01:24)

#3 2014-11-18 19:40:28

ohnonot
...again

vic47, welcome to the forums!

for someone who uses linux for the first time, you've done a good job to be able to install it on this machine at all.
it is this one, yes (image)?

the first advice is to open alsamixer (terminal app) and unmute all channels; after that, what headonastick said.

imho, don't get your hopes up. a computer this old, some hardware wasn't well supported at all back then.
and with these specs, something even lighter than crunchbang might be recommendable. rokytnji swears on AntiX.

#4 2014-11-18 20:30:56

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Oh my goodness...kill it already; a Celeron processor?!

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

#5 2014-11-18 23:21:58

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

With that spec machine would Crunchbang Statler be a better option?

#6 2014-11-19 14:52:53

Vic47

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

When you say "no matter what I try", it is very useful if you tell us instead exactly what you have tried to prevent us duplicating the troubleshooting you have performed yourself wink

Oh, what "troubleshooting" can we speak about if i barely know what to do with Terminal? ^_^; What i did was just trying to make sure the problem is not in "mute" status or low volume, and choosing all available sound devices in Alsa, to make sure none of them works, while playing a mp3 file in VLC in background (but first i've tried to play a video no Youtube and a video and a song in VK.com, when i've noticed there is no sound on YT).

Replying on a ohnonot's message i can say that previously 've used Windows for like 15 years, and first of all there was a good guy (my father's friend) who showed me how to assemble the PC using a box of hardware and install WinME on it, so when i first tried to install Ubuntu, i've looked through it's installation procedure, googled a bit about GRUB and linux partitions and file systems, and then installing Ubuntu become not much harder than installing Windows, which i can perform almost blindfolded by now ) So, after that, installing Crunchbang was a pretty easy job, and i've used default HDD formatting|partitioning method too (use all disk) since it is only 10 Gb anyway... (but i have two more 2.5" IDE HDDs 40Gb each for replacement too, if 10 Gb will be too little after all)

I've also tried to install SteamOS beta on another, modern (yet pretty cheap) laptop (but found it unusable and unsatisfying after Ubuntu, and deleted it). Also i've tried Ubuntu 14.10 x64, but in our case it's no different to 14.04, and i've tried two different builds of DamnSmallLinux from a USB Stick (which looked "i't for the Pros, i don't understand a thing here" to me) and i've also tried Android-x86 (which looked more as a toy for me, since i was unable to acces my hard drives in it) and xPUD distro on a virtual machine (but this one is too primitive, and just like DSL doesn't have an option to quickly switch between English and Russian keyboard layout, which is unacceptable for me, since i constantly need to switch layouts on the fly)

And yes, this is exactly the given PC, Cavaliere 143, only mine has 512Mb RAM. I know that the laptop is terribly old, but i have no better "subject for experiments" right now, and for me it's a kind of a challenge - to make something useful out of this laggy rubbish, and i was interested in trying some Linux distros for a pretty long time by now, so i thought it would be just a perfect opportunity to actually try and install some of them on a hardware i'm not afraid to lose if i do something wrong.

That's it.

So here we are. I've typed the command Head_on_a_Stick psted for me, and that's what i got:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller [8086:24c5] (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Mitac Device [1071:8081]
	Kernel driver in use: snd_intel8x0

Also, as i've said, i'm getting into Linux for a bit more than a month by now, so no wonder i could've made a wrong choice for this laptop by choosing #!. As i have said, i even hoped it could work with Ubuntu ) (but i mostly hoped it would work with Android-x86, so i can get familliar with the OS before actually getting myself a smartphone or a tablet with Android). And i've also tried DSL, but since i'm unfamilliar with Linux in general, it looks as a some kind of "alien OS" for me, lol (unlike Ubuntu, which really looks friendly after Windows OS family)

So, maybe i really should forget about #! and try 'something lighter" for this laptop? I just don't know what to choose... Everybody advices stuff they like, and different people like different stuff... =_=;
BTW, what is that "Crunchbang Starter"? When i've tried to download #!, it only gave me 32 and 64 bit variants, and when i choose 32bit it asked if i need a version for modern, or for old pc (and i've choose "old" of course)

Oh, i forgot one more: after Win98 i've also tried to move a copy of "Microsoft Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs" (Win FLP) from other PC to this laptop's HDD using Acronis, but it won't boot either, just like the other builds of WinXP or Win98. I still don't get what's the problem... i hate that i can't just install OS' on this laptop, and i have to install them on the another PC, and then migrate them to this HDD using Acronis, or put this HDD in the mobile rack and install OS on this hdd as a USB-HDD (i believe this could be the source of some of the problems with booting) Maybe i should update BIOS on it, but i've neder tried that, and i'm afraid i'll totally kill this Laptop if i'll try (the laptop is actually, not mine, and was just given to me, since i've told i can make it work better (since i was pretty sure i can just normally re-install WinXP, and didn't knew it was so laggy not because of the viruses ant tweaks, but because it has such old hardware).
I also doubt that the owner of this laptop will be able to deal with Linux more complex than Ubuntu, but at least i'll be able to use it until i'll have to give it back to it's owner (IF the owner still needs this piece of junk, lol) and get at least a bit more familliar with Linux systems.

Last edited by Vic47 (2014-11-19 15:22:27)

#7 2014-11-19 16:08:07

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

I am sorry Vic47 my comment about Statler was a bit obtuse.  Statler was the previous version of Crunchbang which I certainly ran successfully on an old laptop and I was speculating that it might be a better bet for your Prestigio. You can still get the download for Statler if you want to give it a try.

#8 2014-11-19 16:31:08

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

Vic47 wrote:

And i've also tried DSL, but since i'm unfamilliar with Linux in general

Yeah. I wouldn't recommend DSL. It's a bunch of terribly old software, most of it too "minimal" to be of any use.  May be useful as a rescue disk, but definitely not as an everyday desktop. There are much better options, these days.

That extra 256 MB of RAM will help out a lot. Antix is indeed a a fine choice. Slitaz may be another option.

Since Antix is Debian-based like Crunchbang, though, you'd probably have to deal with the same driver issues over there.

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

#9 2014-11-19 18:51:15

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

The relevant kernel driver is loaded so the card should be producing sound.
I don't know why it isn't...
hmm

#10 2014-11-19 19:17:14

TicTac
#! Junkie

@Vic47

Got an idea for ya. This has been about two years ago so, it may or may not work  (I don't know ) but it's worth an honest try because it did work for me... When nothing else would.

My Daughter had a friend at the time, who's old laptop had stopped working ( it was about the same age as your's, perhaps even older ). I tried several minimal Linux distributions and although many worked ok upon the old hardware, they all had one thing in common... No sound. I tried everything and nothing worked getting that old POS to port sound. Just before giving up entirely, I stumbled upon reading something.... That for whatever reason, Linux Mint will detect legacy hardware better than anything else. Initially, I was skeptical but because I tried just about everything else EXCEPT Mint... I gave it a shot and I'll be damned if it didn't work.

If you're able to, try installing Linux Mint Xfce 32 bit, if you get sound but still want to use less system resources and like the "look" and "feel" of Openbox... Follow this very well written and simple tutorial to install Openbox and it's essentials.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/374

Hopefully, you'll end up with a system that not only ports sound but has at least the look and feel of #!

AND... You'll be able to choose at login between playing with and learning Openbox OR the comforts of Xfce.

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#11 2014-11-20 05:31:48

Vic47

Oh, thanks alot for the advices, gentlemen, i suppose i'll try them all one by one.
First of all, i gotta say that i've tried the antiX distro today, and damn, it has (kown to me by now) the most complicated installation procedure... It's command-line, and has so few tooltips that i had to reboot the PC every time it wrote "error, wrong disk" or something like this, because i didn't knew what to type in (for example, which sd** is the partition i must type in at the given step, or what should i type in to get back to the previous step, if i get an error). But fibally i've managed to install it... only to fin out that it won't boot on any of 4 PCs i currently have (2 desktops and 2 laptops). Although, it boots up in Live USB mode with no problem (it booted up automatically on my PC that i use to format/backup/recover my HDDs or install linux distros for this Prestigio laptop on that 2.5" IDE HDD using above mentioned mobile rack, while i use my "main" PC to stay online). So, maybe i'll try re-installing antiX on that 2.5" IDE, or i'll try to install it first to 3.5" IDE HDD, and then port it to 2.5" using Acronis (because that 3.5 will be the only hda in the system, so i'll hardly miss it, unlike sda and sdb, which swap randomly between boot-ups for some reason (one is the USB-flash pen-drive i've got antiX installaation files on, and another one is the 2.5" IDE HDD in USB mobile rack, on which i'm trying to install it) or give a try to Slitaz or Mint instead...

By the way, about Mint... I've read a bit about this distro myself, but, first of all, i am confused between the versions (for me, it sounds like they use different programs that generate, what i'd call "panels and windows" in Windows kind of OS, i.e. interface elements, or whatever defines "the look and feel" of the OS... but can you briefly explain to me, what are the differences between them (which is faster, which is simplier, which is more functional or whatever). And again, i've read that Mint is based on Ubuntu (and so it can use the same applications that Ubuntu uses), so won't it devour all the system's resources on this old laptop like Ubuntu does?

Again, TicTac, what is that Openbox you mention? Is it another Linux distro, or window manager for Mint, with which it will consume less system resources than with Xfce or what is it? I barely guess that Xfce is the visual shell, a window manager or something like that... x_x;

#12 2014-11-20 07:44:48

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Some reading for you:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … vironments
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_manager

Mint can be based on Ubuntu or Debian, but the thing that's going to make a difference to you is the Window Manager or Desktop Environment being used (see links above for definitions).

#! is just a Window Manager (the one it uses is called "openbox"), rather than a full-blown Desktop Environment -- this is why it's light on system resources (and also why a lot of the configuration is done by editing text files) .

#13 2014-11-20 14:57:13

TicTac
#! Junkie

@Vic47,

The links provided by Head_on_a_Stick are really good ones. Both Desktop Environments ( DE's ) and Window Managers ( WM's ) are basically the graphical user interface you see and use while working on your computer. DE's not only incorporate their own window manager but also have other programs running in the background to make configuration "easier" or even automatic BUT come at the cost of using far more system resources. A stand-alone WM, such as openbox ( which is what you see and use in #! ) Does not do much in the way of auto-configuration... You must do those things by yourself, mostly by way of editing scripts. This sounds complicated and daunting but it's really not and can be rewarding and a lot of fun. There's a plethora of "How to's" in this forum and others. There's an equal number of threads where people have shared their various scripts, all you need to do is copy and paste.

Linux Mint offers a choice of four Desktop Environments... KDE, Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce. Xfce is the lightest on system resources and why I picked it to run upon the laptop you're currently working on. Mint Xfce should at least operate fairly reasonably on that laptop... Although not comfortably. Why Mint was able to configure the old hardware for me when nothing else worked, I truly don't know but it did. If you DO get sound in the Mint Xfce environment, want to save additional system resources and like what you see with #!... Then follow that tutorial link I gave you. It will install openbox and a few esentials. Then, you can choose at login by selecting "sessions" to either boot into Xfce or openbox ( like CrunchBang ). Keep in mind, initially you'll have a very bare openbox and it won't look or behave just like #!. The developer of #! has done a beautiful job pre-configuring this distribution but with a little effort on your part... Your "bang" can be just as nice and that's when the fun begins.      smile

"Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."   

The Dude.

#14 2014-11-20 17:58:16

ohnonot
...again

well, i tried, but i didn't read all.
vic47, please try to keep your threads to 1 topic at a time.

about your soundcard and the current driver:
i think most devices are running the snd_hda_intel driver, yours is snd_intel8x0.
i have no clue what that entails; just pointing out a difference.

and i can't resist adding to the rant - the idea with linux mint is good and you should try it, but with 400MHz (!) and 512MB RAM, you will not be happy running xfce. the best would be if linux mint had some sort of minimal installer, without graphical environment, like ubuntu server. from that you could easily build a truly lightweight openbox setup.

#15 2014-11-20 18:45:39

TicTac
#! Junkie

ohnonot wrote:

and i can't resist adding to the rant

What an extraordinary kind choice of words, it was appreciated.

@Vic47,

I'll defer to ohnonot, who is undoubtedly far wiser than I within a Linux terminal.

Although they lack a certain... "Tact" within interpersonal relationships and demonstratively rate low in social situations, they'll hopefully point you in the proper direction.

Good grief.

The Dude.

#16 2014-11-21 08:46:58

ohnonot
...again

vic47, i should have written: "please try to keep your threads to 1 topic at a time for the sake of solving your problem - otherwise your thread will become a bunch of conflicting comments and nobody even remembers what the problem was."
but of course you can do what you want, it's your thread. no offence.

tictac, i'm not sure if i understand you right, but it seems you are projecting emotional content into my previous post, like i was being derisive and arrogant; but i wasn't. ultimately you are reacting to your own projections.

btw, to me the word "rant" is non-judgemental. neither positive nor negative in itself.

#17 2014-11-21 16:40:08

TicTac
#! Junkie

@Vic47,

I hope you'll try the Mint idea and if you do, please let us know how it turns out. Perhaps it won't work and the reason for my success in doing so will be specific to the machine I was trying to repair but IF it does work, it would be helpful for us to understand why and thus enable us to better help those with legacy hardware/ Linux issues.  smile

ohnonot wrote:

ultimately you are reacting to your own projections.

Thank you, Mr. Spock... I'll work to better myself, I promise.  wink  lol

ohnonot wrote:

well, i tried, but i didn't read all.
vic47, please try to keep your threads to 1 topic at a time.

"You didn't read all" Welllll, perhaps that might just be the problem... Dontcha think? yikes

"Old hardware"> No sound
"Tried this"> No sound
"Tried this"> No sound
"Tried this too"> Still no sound
"Please help"

... Is pretty much what I took away from their posts but then, I took the time to read what they were saying ( silly me ). tongue

I truly enjoy #! and it's community, I also find it admirable for anyone here to share their wisdom in attempt to help others... Including you, the assistance I've gained from your posts has been truly appreciated.

Yet, if you're going to offer help to others... You must employ a degree of patience with an understanding that people ( Human Beings ), when confronted with a problem they don't understand... Will frame the question within their own context, not YOUR'S. Why? Because they're not "experts," haven't got the Linux Encyclopedia Galactica within their heads nor, the lexicon to more concisely explain themselves if they did. They do so when explaining an automotive problem to their mechanic OR seeking relief from pain, when talking to their Doctor.

It's not "rambling" or a "rant".

I'm not a Linux expert or a Software Engineer , I was an ER Nurse for nearly 30 years and because of that... Perhaps it's an acquired skill, I don't know. It's not my intention to enter some sort of personality conflict with you ohnonot and hope you don't take this the wrong way but I have witnessed your lack of patience several times now. I'll certainly take your advice and look into my "projection" issues... Hope you'll take a bit of mine.

> End of "Rant"

TicTac... Out.

The Dude.

#18 2014-11-21 17:34:04

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

TicTac wrote:

It's not "rambling" or a "rant".

Yes it is.

#19 2014-11-21 17:38:18

TicTac
#! Junkie

^ If referring to me... Probably  tongue

If referring to the OP... How so?

The Dude.

#20 2014-11-22 09:54:58

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

edit- wrong thread

Last edited by rstrcogburn (2014-11-22 09:58:21)

Pack em in snow!

#21 2014-11-22 22:04:40

Vic47

Oh i't a lot of things going in here while i was away... оО"
Sorry guys, i was (and still i am at the moment) a bit busy, so i've read the therad since my last visit quite briefly, and couldn't try everything, that you, guys, told me to try, but thanks for your answers, now i can at least know what termins to use when i'm speaking about thais or that...
Basically, i've got the idea about Mint variants myself, but wasn't sure, so i really needed those explanations, thanks alot.

I also don't want to be the source, or observe any kinds of rants/conflicts etc. here too, and that's why i, first of all, mentioned that i'm a newbie in all this linux stuff, gave my excuses and thought i must explain some datails about myself and my situatuion, so people won't think that i'm a lazy arrogant dubass that just don't want to dig in the forums and wikis and find the answers myself. More than that, i've found this community really friendly and willing to help, no matter you, guys, have to, figuratively, "chew all the stuf by yourselves and put the ready-made solution right im my mouth, so all i need to do is to just swallow the ready solution". I just really neeed more experienced people than myself to rely on in something i don't even know about "what is it, exactly". Not to mention English is not my native language, and it's not always easy for me to get the point in what i am reading, especially, when i am not familliar with the topic. So, that's why i made a "multiple topic post", first of all (of course i agree that a "one problem topic" hepls to solve the problem quicker, and this is not the first time i post on the forums, but this time the situation is a bit different, since i'm trying to troubleshoot things in the system i am barely familliar with).

So, to the point of discussion: by now i've tried only antiX of all you guys suggested, and finally managed to install it to the hard drive. It booted up too, it looks pretty friendly and simple, consumes little resources and IT HAS SOUND! But, unfortunateley, it doesn't have the Russian keyboard layout, so i can't use it for everyday duties, and for the owner of this laptop a system without not only interface localization, but even main keyboard layout will be completeley useless...
So, i guess, i have to move on...
Next time i'll have free time to play around with that laptop, i'll, probably, try installing Slitaz (4.0, 5.0rc2 or "cooking" - i haven't decided it yet. probably - all of them, one after another) since it seems like Slitaz supports Russian language.
After that i'll, sure, try Mint Xfce x32, and will write here about what these experiments will give me...
By the way, now, when i know the difference between DE and WM, i can say that i choose #! as a system to start with, because i liked it's minimalistic design, and thought that it shoul probably use quite little system resources...
And yes, for a pc that old i, probably, really need just a window manager and some applications, instead a fully-functional Desktop Environment...
I doubt it can even play movies in low resolutuion (maybe only some PSP/PDA downscales) and it will be, most likeley, used only for reading manga comics, checking e-mail, chatting on VK.com and listening to the music there. And, maybe, for some simple browser gams on VK.com too, or i thought about something old, like Fallout 1 and 2 or Arcanum (but i'm not sure if this laptop can run even them) so, basically, just manga, chatting and music.
And the original owner of this laptop (if he'll need it back at all) will, probably, just surfing the web and checking e-mail for his work needs and, maybe, managing photoes on a USB-flash and working with Word/Excel files. (so, pobably, i'm going to do too sometimes, if i'll manage to find a suitable distro for it).

That's all by now, maybe i'll check this thread in a few days, or in the middle of the week, but i think i won't have much time to experiment with the distros till next weekend... So i'll hardly bring some news here myself till then.

#22 2014-11-22 22:45:31

Alad
Software Satan

TicTac wrote:
ohnonot wrote:

and i can't resist adding to the rant

What an extraordinary kind choice of words, it was appreciated.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p … id=4661403

O:)  lol

#23 2014-11-23 00:01:33

TicTac
#! Junkie

@Vic47,

You did absolutely just fine and weren't the cause or source of anything. Most of us here are completely aware of language barriers ( or should be ). I couldn't begin to utter the word "help" in Russian, if my life depended upon it.  wink

If anyone should shoulder regret, it's me. Your thread wasn't the time nor the place to confront another over anything and I apologize to you for doing so. CrunchBang is an awesome distribution with a well deserved reputation of having a helpful and courteous community of followers, a community you're now part of. There's plenty of us here who are happy to help... Anytime.  smile

The Dude.

#24 2014-11-23 00:44:25

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Hi, Vic47 --

Sorry, but I don't really have any solutions to your sound situation, but I did want to bring up a couple of things that may help if you're going to try/install other distros to fix your sound problem (as well as a few things to try to see if a setting needs changing). These may sound like dumb suggestions, but bear with me and I mean no insult to make such basic suggestions, like:

Have you checked your BIOS settings to see if your boot sequence allows you to boot from a CD/DVD (according to the specs, the hardware has both)? It's usually a matter of holding down either ESC or F2 or some other key -- and in many instances it says on the first screen that comes up when you turn on the laptop. Once you hit the key and get into the BIOS, look for something that says "Boot" or "Boot Sequence" and that sets the order -- floppy, CD/DVD, HD -- which the computer looks for an operating system from which to boot up. There's usually a way to change the order, like F6, of the boot sequence to make sure CD/DVD is ahead of the HD in order to boot from a CD/DVD.

Is there a "mute" button that's on? Go ahead and laugh. I had a ThinkPad T60 for years which I thought had a bum sound card because, well, the external sound never worked. I didn't really care whether the sound worked or not because I don't listen to music on the computer. One day I had loaned my T60 to one of my Python students (I teach Python to junior high school and high school students) and the kid hit the mute or volume button and, voila, it worked. Does your machine have some sort of mute button?

My last suggestion would be to check the settings once you get #! reinstalled, or whatever you have installed, by right-clicking on the sound icon and fiddling with the settings there. PNMixer in CrunchBang is pretty good, and pay attention to changes you make in your volume control settings.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2014-11-23 12:18:33

ohnonot
...again

^see? that's what happens when there's too much going on in a thread duplicity, and the crucial bit gets overlooked.

for me, the crucial bit was that you get sound on AntiX. the problems with the keyboard layout are trivial and can be solved. definitely easier than alsa-related stuff.
have you tried entering

setxkbmap ru

in a running X session?
if that gives the desired result, it is easy to make it happen when you log in.
if russian poses more involved problems, feel free to ask here again (antix is based on debian iirc, so it's not a far shot).

@alad: interesting. almost all definitions on ud say that rant is sth negative, even aggressive. i'll have to keep that in mind.

Board footer