SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-20 02:20:37

Choven

Install on HP 15-g012dx

--- lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c
+++ lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c
@@ -1784,7 +1784,11 @@ KCL_TYPE_Uid ATI_API_CALL KCL_GetEffecti
 #else 

#ifdef current_euid
+#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(3,14,0)
+    return __kuid_val(current_euid());
+#else
     return current_euid();
+#endif
 #else
     return current->euid;
 #endif

Last edited by Choven (2014-06-20 02:23:33)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-09-08 03:11:26

Choven

Re: Install on HP 15-g012dx

I fixed my boot issue by following the advice for others with a similar problem.  On this laptop (and on other laptops from what I have read), the first .efi file to boot will always be the bootmgfw.efi in the Microsoft directory.  Changing the EFI boot order when booting into a UEFI shell did not get grub to launch first, nor did changing the order within the bios.  No matter what I did, I always have to hit ESC then F9 to access the boot menu.  Here, the order appears as listed in the BIOS.  But again, I have to hit ESC then F9 to get to this menu.  My workaround was to rename .efi files on the EFI partition so that the computer thinks it's booting windows but it is actually booting GRUB.  You must have UEFI boot disabled and secure boot disabled in your bios for this to work.

I created an entry in /etc/fstab using the UUID of my partition.  I have the mount point at /boot/efi.  I added this info at the end of fstab.

# EFI Partition
UUID=BABB-2F59 /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 1

I then cd into the microsoft directory on this partition

cd /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot

The file bootmgfw.efi is the file that ALWAYS loads first, so rename it to something different.  I renamed it like this:

cp bootmgfw.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw2.efi

Now, copy and rename your grubx64.efi file to bootmgfw.efi in the Microsoft/Boot directory.

cp /boot/efi/EFI/crunchbang/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

If everything works, then grub will boot by default.  In order to boot into Win8.1, you need to add an entry to the GRUB menu.  I added the entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom

menuentry "Windows 8 UEFI/GPT" {
	insmod part_gpt
	insmod fat
	insmod search_fs_uuid
	insmod chain
	search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root BABB-2F59
	chainloader ($root)/EFI/MICROSOFT/BOOT/bootmgfw2.efi
}

The UUID is the same one used in /etc/fstab because you are referencing the UEFI partition by the device ID.  Finally, update the grub menu

sudo update-grub

If the Win8.1 menu doesn't appear, then you may have to recopy the grubx64.efi to bootmgfw.efi again (sorry, I can't remember if I had to do this or not).  If you run into problems, like mucking up the grubx64.efi file so that GRUB doesn't load and you can't boot into any OS, then go into the bios and switch to UEFI boot.  For some reason, the bootmgfw.efi file will be remade and Win8.1 will boot normally.  Then, turn off UEFI boot and try copying/renaming grubx64.efi to bootmgfw.efi again. 

NOTE:  I tried installing a newer version of grub that would automatically detect the win8.1 install.  It didn't work very well because this laptop will always boot bootmgfw.efi FIRST, and this is exactly the file that the autodetect script uses for the Win8.1 install.  So, I would have to figure out the part of the script being run in the /etc/grub.d/ files, comment them out, and still insert the relevant part in /etc/grub.d/40_custom.  I reverted to the version of grub that's installed with Waldorf and have my system running well.

Last edited by Choven (2014-09-08 03:12:01)

#3 2014-09-08 07:01:28

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

# efibootmgr

#4 2014-09-14 14:54:24

Choven

bcfg boot dump -v

#5 2014-09-14 15:15:11

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

# efibootmgr -b <4-digit boot number> -B

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2014-09-14 15:45:44)

Board footer