SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-03 17:01:28

perknh

Why I Have A Soft Spot In My Heart For Crunchbang

One night I tried putting Crunchbang onto a flash drive, but I placed Crunchbang's bootloader (GRUB) on my internal hard drive by mistake.  Well, I'm sure you know what happened.  I ended up with Crunchbang on my internal hard drive instead of Windows.  Since I didn't have an inkling at the time with what I was doing, I really thought I had destroyed my computer.  I even confessed to my wife I had totally destroyed our computer!  Well, six hours later, and at 4:00 in the morning, I had (and I don't know how I did it) Manjaro Xfce on the computer.  Now my wife needs the computer in the morning, but since I had configured Manjaro to the point where it looked almost identical to our desktop configuration for Windows, and since she moves so quickly in the morning, she hadn't noticed that she wasn't using Windows.

I said to myself, "Yes!"  And, needless to say, I considered that experience to have been a major score!  smile

That mistake of putting Crunchbang onto my hard drive was the best mistake I had ever made with a computer in my life.  And, over time, and because of that one mistake, my wife and I now live in a Linux-only household.  And, yes, I have Crunchbang (the Porsche of the Debian world) to thank for that wonderful, life-changing mistake I made not all that long ago.*

*I told this story to one my friends over at Peppermint forum yesterday.  And he's the one that first told me that Cruchbang was the Porsche of the Debian world.  Here, I've removed his name from the story, and I've edited my writing a bit -- but Crunchbang was the first Linux OS I ever put on my computer's internal hard drive.  And although that old computer is no longer with me, I've kept its hard drive.  And right now I'm running that very same hard dirve, on which I first installed Crunchbang,  as an external hard drive in a USB 3 port -- and, yes, it's moving like a Porsche!

Funny, but Cruchbang is back on the hard drive on which it first landed.  And this is the story of why I have a soft spot in my heart for Crunchbang.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2014-08-03 17:20:43

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Re: Why I Have A Soft Spot In My Heart For Crunchbang

Welcome perknh! Enjoy the incredible #! distro!

unfortunately for me my house is not an all linux one, but it's mostly linux ( all my computers, my mother's laptop, my sister's netbook, and several android devices ( none of them mine ) )  wink

#3 2014-08-03 17:36:02

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Awesome story - so if I read that right you're running #! now ... what happened to Manjaro?

If your wife "really" likes the xfce4 menu I do believe it is installed with #!.  Try it in a terminal:

xfce4-panel &

#4 2014-08-03 19:19:46

perknh

Hello CSCoder4ever, and Sector11.

In our case my wife and I only surf the web, and send email, so we don't have to rely on Windows for much of anything.  I know some people don't have this luxury.  I do believe however our ISP will only work with computers that use Windows and Internet Explorer, so I don't know what I'll do if we ever need our ISP's help for anything.  I'll have to deal with that issue if, or when, we get there.  But it was last month we decided to remove Windows from my wife's computer, and it was with that move that we became Windows free.  Since my wife likes Peppermint OS a lot, and since she doesn't like any Windows OSs at all, and since neither one of us were actually using Windows for much of anything (other than to format flash dives in order to put more Linux OSs on them!) , I thought, why the heck should we keep Windows on our computers at all.  So I just removed Windows 8.1.1 off her computer and replaced it with Peppermint 5, and she's as happy as can be with this change.

So, this means, in our case, my wife and I both have Peppermint 5 installed on the internal hard drives of our laptop computers, and I have Crunchbang attached externally to my laptop's USB 3 port.

I've learned that Manjaro Net Edition really doesn't play well on an external hard drive, and I just want to keep learning Linux and have some fun doing so.  So here I am --  a Crunchbang newbie -- learning more about Linux -- and I'm even getting warm support from Team Peppermint to venture out over here and explore.

And this make me want to say a word about Peppermint OS.  It is thanks to the guys over at Peppermint OS that I learned how to use Linux.  There's a group of people over there -- an A-Team -- who have spent countless hours teaching me about Linux.  And because of my wonderful experience at Peppermint, I always tell people when considering a Linux distribution to consider that particular distibution's forum as well as the distibution.  I say, and I believe, that the forum of a distibution is every bit as important as the distribution itself. 

So it has been suggested to me from Peppermint forum to come here to explore and learn more about Linux.  I was told that not only is Cruchbang an excellent OS from which you can learn a lot, but that the Cruchbang forum has another group of really fine and knowledgeable people -- in other words, an other A-Team!

Something tells me, I'm going to feel right at home here at Cruchbang as I learn more and more about Linux. 

Thank you CSCoder4ever, and Sector11, for your very warm welcome.

I really appreciate it.

perknh

Last edited by perknh (2014-08-03 19:21:14)

#5 2014-08-03 20:01:37

damo
#! gimpbanger

Welcome to the crunchbang forums - you've made me feel all warm and fuzzy big_smile

#6 2014-08-03 22:11:03

Alad
Software Satan

Last edited by Alad (2014-08-03 22:11:35)

#7 2014-08-03 23:22:05

perknh

Thank you, damo, and thank you, Alad.

dano, that is fun story to tell now, but the night it all happened I really did wonder whether or not my computer had gone Crunchbang!  And thank you for welcoming me to the forums.

Alad, I'm going to bookmark the link Linux Fundamentals.  I looks informative, and I like reading about the history of Linux too.

My trick that morning with Manjaro was to have the icons handy that my wife needed, and then have a new desktop image to capture her attention when she first looked at the computer.  In our case, since we live on a street with lots and lots of squirrels, I put an image of a squirrel on the desktop.  That was a major distraction, and it was a photo that helps keep your eyes away from the bottom left corner of the screen.  And, back then, we were using Chrome as our default browser.  And since Chrome's sync feature had all of her bookmarks ready for her, she was good to go.

But I do know what you mean, if you have the right stuff handy enough to keep the users in your household happy, they may not even notice the differnce between one OS and another.

Alad, thank you for welcoming me to the forum too.

perknh

Last edited by perknh (2014-08-04 11:09:13)

#8 2014-08-04 08:26:31

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Hello, perknh, welcome to #!
Very funny posts, some good tips too --- wish I'd been as quick-thinking as you & @Alad when I GParted my Windows 8 install to death...
big_smile

#9 2014-08-04 12:18:51

perknh

Thank you, Head_on_a_Stick, for welcoming me to #!

I'd like to know what some of Alad's tricks are.  If he can go from #! to Fedora, and then to OpenSUSE, and then to Arch, and still keep the family thinking their using Windows -- well, he qualifies as a master!

Head_on_a_Stick, your signature offers some good advice, and I'll do my best to keep those ideas in mind while still getting lost in Linux.

Thank you,

perknh

#10 2014-08-04 15:16:07

Alad
Software Satan

Last edited by Alad (2014-08-04 15:19:09)

#11 2014-08-04 16:29:06

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#12 2014-08-04 20:11:11

perknh

#13 2014-08-04 21:08:27

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

It's good that you do!  lol  lol  lol Fire away, these guys love helping out n00bs wink .

#14 2014-08-04 22:09:29

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

#15 2014-08-06 10:27:06

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

I suspect they'll never get tired? smile

Board footer