SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1901 2014-06-17 07:17:09

olegabrielz
#! Junkie
From: Norway
Registered: 2014-06-14
Posts: 442

Re: Ideas for Janice

Alad wrote:

Crunchbang is not simple. GTK3, Network Manager, pulseaudio, udisks, ...  ]:D  tongue

tongue

Last edited by olegabrielz (2014-06-17 07:38:34)

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#1902 2014-06-17 12:18:21

photonucleon
Quantum Geek
From: Hogwarts
Registered: 2013-06-10
Posts: 952

Re: Ideas for Janice

I thought that true simplicity was about "bringing order to complexity". And that's exactly what #! does, really tongue Oh, and makes it fantastically customisable too big_smile


- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

Offline

#1903 2014-06-17 18:31:24

cloverskull
#! Junkie
Registered: 2013-10-26
Posts: 377

Re: Ideas for Janice

I've been toying with the idea of making a debian testing #! clone but make the iso as minimal as possible, and control everything through metapackage style bash scripts, i.e. pull down gimp because you either installed it intentionally or you ran the graphic manipulation metapackage script.

Why not make everything a script and keep the base install as small as possible?

Offline

#1904 2014-06-17 19:47:11

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: Ideas for Janice

^ Isn't that what a minimal netinstall does, using apt-get as the scripting tool?
Also, check out the the Linux BBQ smile

Offline

#1905 2014-06-18 00:10:50

cloverskull
#! Junkie
Registered: 2013-10-26
Posts: 377

Re: Ideas for Janice

Yep, more or less. It's still a bit hacky of an approach for a user friendly "just works" distro like #!, in my opinion, but it's the method I typically use to install a fresh OS nowadays.

Also, I dig BBQ. I haven't been on the forums much there, perhaps I'll take a look smile

Offline

#1906 2014-06-20 15:00:41

andril
New Member
From: Pembroke Pines, Florida 954
Registered: 2014-06-20
Posts: 8
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

I love #! just the way it is but...... systemd, Deadbeef, Xnoise, auto updating Openbox, and  system update command will be nicer

Last edited by andril (2014-06-20 15:01:36)


#! Hit me like the suns rays - Stay Toasty my friends  big_smile
Registered User# 400765

Offline

#1907 2014-06-20 15:18:33

damo
#! gimpbanger
From: N51.5 W002.8 (mostly)
Registered: 2011-11-24
Posts: 5,434

Re: Ideas for Janice

andril wrote:

I love #! just the way it is but...... systemd, Deadbeef, Xnoise, auto updating Openbox, and  system update command will be nicer

I thought there was already a "system update" command?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

Offline

#1908 2014-06-20 15:26:29

twoion
Moderator
Registered: 2012-05-11
Posts: 1,648

Re: Ideas for Janice

cloverskull wrote:

I've been toying with the idea of making a debian testing #! clone but make the iso as minimal as possible, and control everything through metapackage style bash scripts, i.e. pull down gimp because you either installed it intentionally or you ran the graphic manipulation metapackage script.

Why not make everything a script and keep the base install as small as possible?

This would require to define both '#!' and 'base system' in

#! install = core + base system + #!

which is harder to do than just

#! install = deb stable + #!

If the stable base moves for example, you just have to adapt a small #!-specific codebase to the new base system in order to crunchbang a system. Maintaining a 'base system' spec and the additions is way more work because packages get removed, renamed or binaries are moved into different packages or dropped. You can monitor this process by reading debian-devel discussions or running testing or unstable; it happens all the time. You'd have to do way more detail work if you'd want to go through with a '#! install script'. In that regard, you would also want to use tasksel or other tools that have been written to provide just that kind of functionality instead of a simple script.

Last edited by twoion (2014-06-20 15:30:45)


Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

Offline

#1909 2014-06-20 17:48:06

cloverskull
#! Junkie
Registered: 2013-10-26
Posts: 377

Re: Ideas for Janice

Thanks for the explanation - that really puts some things into perspective. Thanks smile

Offline

#1910 2014-06-29 01:05:43

JaZZyCooL
Member
Registered: 2013-02-15
Posts: 18

Re: Ideas for Janice

All I want to say is please have a UEFI support I really want to install Crunchbang without messing up my windows 8 on a pre-installed UEFI windows 8 system, but the method seems too hard without direct installation.

Offline

#1911 2014-07-01 07:32:44

fishstory
New Member
Registered: 2014-01-07
Posts: 6

Re: Ideas for Janice

sleeveroller wrote:

As a final note IMO this thread is getting a bit bloated and it's hard to keep track of the ideas mentioned here. I know corenominal is a busy man :-) but maybe it's time for a new thread or threads to discuss in further detail the subset of ideas that he's keen to actually include in Janice.

I completely agree! I don't think a forum is really the best medium for discussing feature requests. It would be cool to have something like a bug tracker where we could mark  and merge duplicate requests and vote on which ones we'd like the most. What do you think?

I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this but I'd really like a built in openbox shortcut key for toggling the touchpad. I currently use a simple bash script to toggle that someone posted to the forum a while ago - but I think it would be a nice feature to have this capability available by default as I'm sure there are many others like me who absolutely despise the touchpad and would physically rip it out of their laptops if they could do it with impunity! tongue

BTW I recently dared to install lubuntu on my netbook as I figured it would be far more up to date than the current crunchbang. Within ten minutes I was bogged down by so many irritating bugs, I've decided to scrap it and come back to a distro that just works with no nonsense!!

Last edited by fishstory (2014-07-01 07:34:15)

Offline

#1912 2014-07-01 09:34:35

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie
Registered: 2014-04-04
Posts: 262

Re: Ideas for Janice

fishstory wrote:

I don't know whether anyone has mentioned this but I'd really like a built in openbox shortcut key for toggling the touchpad. I currently use a simple bash script to toggle that someone posted to the forum a while ago - but I think it would be a nice feature to have this capability available by default as I'm sure there are many others like me who absolutely despise the touchpad and would physically rip it out of their laptops if they could do it with impunity! tongue

Cut some card to fit the recess - fix in place - job done.
Or open the case, they're easy enough to just disconnect in most notebooks.


Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

Offline

#1913 2014-07-01 10:31:08

fishstory
New Member
Registered: 2014-01-07
Posts: 6

Re: Ideas for Janice

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Cut some card to fit the recess - fix in place - job done.
Or open the case, they're easy enough to just disconnect in most notebooks.

I did actually disconnect it in one laptop it was annoying me so much...  but I found that this also disconnected the pointing stick, which I needed. Basically I need the touchpad every once in a while, but I can *not* have it active when I'm typing, or I'll lose it...

Offline

#1914 2014-07-01 15:01:25

anonymous
The Mystery Member
Registered: 2008-11-29
Posts: 9,419

Re: Ideas for Janice

fishstory wrote:
sleeveroller wrote:

As a final note IMO this thread is getting a bit bloated and it's hard to keep track of the ideas mentioned here. I know corenominal is a busy man :-) but maybe it's time for a new thread or threads to discuss in further detail the subset of ideas that he's keen to actually include in Janice.

I completely agree! I don't think a forum is really the best medium for discussing feature requests. It would be cool to have something like a bug tracker where we could mark  and merge duplicate requests and vote on which ones we'd like the most. What do you think?

Perhaps UserVoice could be an option? Here's some examples of what it is like:

http://feedback.novalauncher.com/
http://apexlauncher.uservoice.com/

Offline

#1915 2014-07-01 23:24:57

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger
From: Cordoba, Argentina
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 141

Re: Ideas for Janice

Hi guys, long time no see.

Just a SIMPLE (?) question.....
Is there any ETA for CB 12? I am feeling sort off outdated, I was yesterday doing some "benchmarks" (just testing and toying arround) with the new Libre office fresh 4.31. IT IS MUCH FASTER than the versio CB (stable) has....
There are some distros out there like lxle, that are too complex (not simple and beautiful) but they have last versions of fast proggies. I'd like a CB with thoses programs....

so..... any ETA?  O:)


*La vida no es esperar a que pase la tormenta, es aprender a bailar bajo la lluvia...
(Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, it's learning to dance under the rain...)

*Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.

Offline

#1916 2014-07-02 01:00:42

Ozitraveller
#! Junkie
From: Less is More!
Registered: 2011-04-26
Posts: 289
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

ElQuia wrote:

Hi guys, long time no see.

Just a SIMPLE (?) question.....
Is there any ETA for CB 12? I am feeling sort off outdated, I was yesterday doing some "benchmarks" (just testing and toying arround) with the new Libre office fresh 4.31. IT IS MUCH FASTER than the versio CB (stable) has....
There are some distros out there like lxle, that are too complex (not simple and beautiful) but they have last versions of fast proggies. I'd like a CB with thoses programs....

so..... any ETA?  O:)


I'm pretty sure Libre Office 4.2.5 is available from backports. Also currently in jessie and sid. So 4.3 could be a while.

It looks like 4.3 is currently in experimental
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libreoffice

Offline

#1917 2014-07-02 06:35:21

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: Ideas for Janice

ElQuia wrote:

Is there any ETA for CB 12?

When it's ready big_smile
But seriously, I think the 6-month freeze will start in Jessie soon, ready for the move to Stable: we'll know then...

Offline

#1918 2014-07-02 06:53:18

Copper0
#! CrunchBanger
Registered: 2013-07-02
Posts: 149

Re: Ideas for Janice

Jessie will freeze November 5th. So expect Janice maybe late summer 2015

Offline

#1919 2014-07-02 06:53:32

vic
#! by Default
From: /grill
Registered: 2009-02-13
Posts: 3,361

Re: Ideas for Janice


Time to move on!#

Offline

#1920 2014-07-02 10:53:38

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2010-09-02
Posts: 596

Re: Ideas for Janice

But the Debian freeze is only part of it, after Debian Jessie gets released it will still be a while until CrunchBang Janice is released - probably not very long but certainly not before.


There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

Offline

#1921 2014-07-02 13:49:13

ElQuia
#! CrunchBanger
From: Cordoba, Argentina
Registered: 2009-04-12
Posts: 141

Re: Ideas for Janice

OK, guys, as I see it, we'll have to wait quite a while...
Well 11 still is one of the best if no the best distro for old notebooks and PC's....
Thanks to all for answers


*La vida no es esperar a que pase la tormenta, es aprender a bailar bajo la lluvia...
(Life is not waiting for the storm to pass, it's learning to dance under the rain...)

*Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.

Offline

#1922 2014-07-02 14:35:08

pvsage
Internal Affairs
From: North Carolina
Registered: 2009-10-18
Posts: 13,970

Re: Ideas for Janice

jeffreyC wrote:

But the Debian freeze is only part of it, after Debian Jessie gets released it will still be a while until CrunchBang Janice is released - probably not very long but certainly not before.

Unless corenominal has changed his policy from previous releases, we can probably expect a Janice Testing image about the same time as the Jessie freeze.  This way, we will have shaken down any problems in Janice by the time Jessie becomes Debian Stable.

Offline

#1923 2014-07-02 17:49:33

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2010-09-02
Posts: 596

Re: Ideas for Janice

pvsage wrote:
jeffreyC wrote:

But the Debian freeze is only part of it, after Debian Jessie gets released it will still be a while until CrunchBang Janice is released - probably not very long but certainly not before.

Unless corenominal has changed his policy from previous releases, we can probably expect a Janice Testing image about the same time as the Jessie freeze.  This way, we will have shaken down any problems in Janice by the time Jessie becomes Debian Stable.

Alpha(s?) and or beta(s?) don't most distros do that?

I was thinking of the final release and forgot about that.


There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

Offline

#1924 2014-07-03 11:56:55

fishstory
New Member
Registered: 2014-01-07
Posts: 6

Re: Ideas for Janice

Small suggestion for the installer... currently if you choose to encrypt the whole disk it automatically attempts to (I'm guessing) securely erase the disk before installing... this will literally take forever. If you're using a new HDD or one with data that you don't really care about falling into the wrong hands... surely there's no need to do this erasure? I always click 'Skip', but it might be nice just to have some small amount of text notifiying the newbie that erasure will take forever and doesn't need to be done on a new HDD. Unless I'm missing something.

See, e.g. http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=29667 for an example of newbie disorientation.

Last edited by fishstory (2014-07-03 11:57:54)

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#1925 2014-07-03 14:58:20

fishstory
New Member
Registered: 2014-01-07
Posts: 6

Re: Ideas for Janice

Another little feature that would be nice - some way to turn your screen off so that it stays OFF until you touch the keyboard or mouse. At the moment if you use "xset dpms force off" something (xscreensaver?) always comes along to wake the screen up at some seemingly random point in the future. The only way I've found for keeping the screen off is to set the xscreensaver power management setting to go to standby after 1 minute  - but this is obviously a fairly inconvenient workaround...

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo