SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1876 2014-06-02 09:15:58

samdraz
#! CrunchBanger
From: Earth
Registered: 2013-03-10
Posts: 233
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

tint2conf has been added to tint2 in debain sid smile, just got the broken message this morning

Last edited by samdraz (2014-06-02 09:16:37)

Offline

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#1877 2014-06-02 19:52:02

MrM
New Member
Registered: 2013-09-28
Posts: 3

Re: Ideas for Janice

Hi guys.. what about btrfs? I know it is for "experiments" rather than for daily use, but there is still some things what I really like... :-)

Last edited by MrM (2014-06-02 20:09:23)

Offline

#1878 2014-06-02 20:00:26

garricck
Member
Registered: 2014-02-01
Posts: 33

Re: Ideas for Janice

my suggestions

+1 openrc and systemd-shim meaby no smile
+1 pulseaudio as option (alsa is better for resampling, ...)
+1 mlocate
+1 gimp


and meaby
+1 command-not-found
+1 mc

Last edited by garricck (2014-06-11 21:12:40)

Offline

#1879 2014-06-02 23:11:27

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2011-11-22
Posts: 571

Re: Ideas for Janice

What about having Cairo composite manager be the composite manager?  I like that it gives the options for mosaic and open and close animations..

Offline

#1880 2014-06-03 05:00:28

nore
>2^9
From: Lakeland
Registered: 2009-11-28
Posts: 740

Re: Ideas for Janice

Is Cairo compositing still an active project? I used to like it too but lately I have left it behind for compton.

Offline

#1881 2014-06-05 14:27:40

imp2021
#! Member
From: half way
Registered: 2012-06-07
Posts: 59

Re: Ideas for Janice

I would like to have:

* another MW to chose from per default (xmonad i heard should be a stable one... tongue .i know there are more to chose from wink)
* some easy switch to turn of system beeps
* a sweeter login and screen-saver-lock
* 2 conkys, to switch, one with system-info and the other for daytime and casual infos. so that you can chose to have distraction or not (but its somewhat easily done self made, but it would look and feel awesome on default ! )
* another cursor-theme.. well, at least turn off the blinking on default, ty wink
* a grid of workspaces instead of a row.. i never really need it (i guess i got used to it, as it is what #! provides) but that is sometimes something, that i miss from ubuntu (and that is the only one thing..)
** but i use them excessively i guess. always when i am on a microsoft thing, i can not imagine to life w/o them! ..like i am close to tears, when i see beloved ones with a thousands tabs, browsers, applications in their Taskbar...
** btw tint could have a little hands on. my windows dont expand like i wanted them to. (they stopped on the bar. and no, autohide aint a good solution.. for somtimes they dont resize. however i have a workaround, but its with messing the 'on top' thing and.. not ideal.)
* python3 support per default, not to say that it is charming, but way more charming then python2..
* easier configuration for keymappings, like for <caps> who needs it? (i have it to give me hjkl-movement, super sweet, but i might have broken something during the process.. for im noob, but its awesome xD)
* some replacement for Thunar .. i do not know a really good replacement, but i guess i learn vifm, ranger, mc or alike.. so it is not a big deal. but that Thunar kinda always opens with a tooooooo large column with.. or range? .. however, i have to scroll.. not so nice.
* some wiki per default! i use zim (like every day!), i guess there are tons of other good ones out there.. i think it fits, its fast and easy to learn and to use. ..and it can keep you somewhat organized, the good way! (just a little buggy, but only very little.. i would rather say rough edges instead of buggy, but well, who knows.)
** ..there are other applications of taste of mine, but those are nothing a system needs to have as a operating system on default.. so only the filemanager and the wiki-thing is somewhat i think a system needs as some sort of bare extras to have set (besides the editor, firewall.. you guys know ;P)
* maybe you want to ship with 2 modi, like one to have super minimal and some to have like with your cb-welcome script..
* the clipboard integrated in the background (of a single workspace or such, conky?) (donno, if the clipboard could be managed more intuitively)

..and probably more.. the important stuff for me i bolded.
however, pls keep it simple (no flashlights and eye-candy besides clear looks).

You are doing a great job so far, ty !


-- I like folding [...]

Offline

#1882 2014-06-05 14:46:24

anonymous
The Mystery Member
Registered: 2008-11-29
Posts: 9,419

Re: Ideas for Janice

imp2021 wrote:

* a grid of workspaces instead of a row.. i never really need it (i guess i got used to it, as it is what #! provides) but that is sometimes something, that i miss from ubuntu (and that is the only one thing..)

Could you explain this? I *think* whether you see your workspaces laid out horizontally, vertically, or as a grid depends on what program you are using to switch workspaces.

imp2021 wrote:

* python3 support per default, not to say that it is charming, but way more charming then python2..

Do you mean you want python3 included on the LiveCD? That is easy. However if you want python to link to python3, I think that is controlled by the Debian packages. Also having python3 as default might break some poorly-written scripts.

imp2021 wrote:

* the clipboard integrated in the background (of a single workspace or such, conky?) (donno, if the clipboard could be managed more intuitively)

Explain this too.

Offline

#1883 2014-06-05 16:12:49

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2011-11-22
Posts: 571

Re: Ideas for Janice

nore wrote:

Is Cairo compositing still an active project? I used to like it too but lately I have left it behind for compton.

They have a repo for sid so I assume its on going.  I just wish they had a package for stable.

Offline

#1884 2014-06-05 16:21:26

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

@ imp2021

* 2 conkys, to switch, one with system-info and the other for daytime and casual infos. so that you can chose to have distraction or not (but its somewhat easily done self made, but it would look and feel awesome on default ! )

Conky, beyond the basic stuff, is very hardware, DE, WM dependent  and would be difficult to do.  And like you said: easily done.

What do you mean by: "system-info" and the other for "daytime and casual info"?  What is the difference?

* some replacement for Thunar .. i do not know a really good replacement, but i guess i learn vifm, ranger, mc or alike.. so it is not a big deal. but that Thunar kinda always opens with a tooooooo large column with.. or range? .. however, i have to scroll.. not so nice.

Set a default view
Thunar » Edit » Preferences » Display » View new folders using: Compact List View

Set a session view
Thunar » View -> at the bottom -

View as Icons          Ctrl-1
View as Detailed List  Ctrl-2
View as Compact List   Ctrl-3

Pick one  big_smile


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#1885 2014-06-05 19:11:01

nore
>2^9
From: Lakeland
Registered: 2009-11-28
Posts: 740

Re: Ideas for Janice

th3pun15h3r wrote:

They have a repo for sid so I assume its on going.

If we read the same archives at tuxfamily, latest updates are dated 2010-Mar-18.

Offline

#1886 2014-06-06 15:08:19

imp2021
#! Member
From: half way
Registered: 2012-06-07
Posts: 59

Re: Ideas for Janice

Some detailed notes to my suggestions, for I feel asked about. (sry for not quoting, but I think the shorter the effective.. except its unclear.) (@anonymus,Sector11)

* workspaces related:
hmm... I donno the tech behind them, but I had 4 or 6 of them on my ubuntu system, so 2 rows, 3 columns at max. And it was a charm for switching them, for the down row had like say graphical stuff, like inkscape or games or something, and the upper row had the more sophisticated stuff, like email, wiki.. so it was always like switching 'enviorements' on one key stroke.
..I am always like using 2 workspaces for a(ny) task. (so i need another 2 for a second task! but however, I am fine with 4 workspaces (btw the first thing i change after reinstall)). best example is for the use of idle (phyton interactive shell). I write in the editor, and I want the output on another workspace. I avoid using the mouse (which is charming on older thinkpads w/o touchpads), so tint aint the ideal option. besides it eats up screenspace.

* python3... erm, well, yea, it might break something.. but python3 is just.. the noobs should learn nowadays python3 first (imo.. the old print statements look soo confusing to the noobs, like me. but i might miss the point here, what that means for a 'liveCD', so you might as well ignore my state on that.)

* the clipboard, the.. to explain that, I have to say, I am learning vim, which forces me into some weird CnP interactions, with register-interpretations, to learn.. And I miss(ed) Clipboard interactions in my normal workflow before. And it is not so obvious for me to use it on default. ..maybe the <ctr><alt>u shortcut on the conky shortcut to show would be sufficient. ..I actually using it now, but I might as well be here complaining with no solution. sry for that..

* 2 conkys..
I saw it on archbang 'super+something' gives the shortcuts, so they stay out of the way on normal circumstances. (..you might as well just delete the Shortcutsection when you learned it, out of conky, but then its gone.. maybe someday i want to add more shortcuts to learn, or i forget about them.. so i actually dont want to delete them..)
Turns out I need conky most of the time tell me, what time and date it is (and tint does that most of the time..). ..the system info thing is great, dont get me wrong, I really like it! But I just dont want it to distract me. so i want that extra stuff, but only when i need it, not, when i turn on my machine.
..so i need 3 conkys actually.. 1 for date, 1 for sysinfo and 1 for shortcuts.. but yea, depends on how you like your system.

* Thunar.. ff, that thing!
Soooo, I am always in Ctrl+2 mode.. there is a column, that says 'Type'. (the one that says the filetype.. ) It seldom has more then 8 characters in it, except for symlinks or whatever.. But it is always way to large.. Just 3-8chr long, would be cool, but no, its like super large, and i have to scroll hmm not nice. ..couldnt figure it.. tried it.. but


-- I like folding [...]

Offline

#1887 2014-06-06 16:11:59

sleeveroller
Member
From: Liverpool, UK
Registered: 2011-02-25
Posts: 40
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

Here's my 2p for what it's worth:

- I totally agree with the less is more crowd. Installing packages in Debian based distros is a breeze and the cb-welcome script is also a great way to give the user quick access to some standard applications that don't make the cut.

- Developer contributions have also been mentioned, again I think this is a great idea and I'd be very interested in helping out where and when I can.

- As a final note IMO this thread is getting a bit bloated and it's hard to keep track of the ideas mentioned here. I know corenominal is a busy man :-) but maybe it's time for a new thread or threads to discuss in further detail the subset of ideas that he's keen to actually include in Janice.

Offline

#1888 2014-06-06 16:42:22

th3pun15h3r
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2011-11-22
Posts: 571

Re: Ideas for Janice

nore wrote:
th3pun15h3r wrote:

They have a repo for sid so I assume its on going.

If we read the same archives at tuxfamily, latest updates are dated 2010-Mar-18.

Totally missed the error.  My apologizes on that part.  Too bad too it was a nice project.  Is there any other real lightweight composite managers besides compton?

Offline

#1889 2014-06-06 21:38:02

anonymous
The Mystery Member
Registered: 2008-11-29
Posts: 9,419

Re: Ideas for Janice

imp2021 wrote:

* workspaces related:
hmm... I donno the tech behind them, but I had 4 or 6 of them on my ubuntu system, so 2 rows, 3 columns at max. And it was a charm for switching them, for the down row had like say graphical stuff, like inkscape or games or something, and the upper row had the more sophisticated stuff, like email, wiki.. so it was always like switching 'enviorements' on one key stroke.
..I am always like using 2 workspaces for a(ny) task. (so i need another 2 for a second task! but however, I am fine with 4 workspaces (btw the first thing i change after reinstall)). best example is for the use of idle (phyton interactive shell). I write in the editor, and I want the output on another workspace. I avoid using the mouse (which is charming on older thinkpads w/o touchpads), so tint aint the ideal option. besides it eats up screenspace.

There are Openbox keybinds to switch workspaces and you can install a different program for switching between programs too.

imp2021 wrote:

* the clipboard, the.. to explain that, I have to say, I am learning vim, which forces me into some weird CnP interactions, with register-interpretations, to learn.. And I miss(ed) Clipboard interactions in my normal workflow before. And it is not so obvious for me to use it on default. ..maybe the <ctr><alt>u shortcut on the conky shortcut to show would be sufficient. ..I actually using it now, but I might as well be here complaining with no solution. sry for that..

Unfortunately its still not clear what you want. Also what does <ctrl><alt>u do?

imp2021 wrote:

* Thunar.. ff, that thing!
Soooo, I am always in Ctrl+2 mode.. there is a column, that says 'Type'. (the one that says the filetype.. ) It seldom has more then 8 characters in it, except for symlinks or whatever.. But it is always way to large.. Just 3-8chr long, would be cool, but no, its like super large, and i have to scroll hmm not nice. ..couldnt figure it.. tried it.. but

You can resize the columns if you wish. I think you can even resize it to zero (essentially hiding it) though I might be confused with SpaceFM.

th3pun15h3r wrote:

Is there any other real lightweight composite managers besides compton?

Maybe unagi?

Last edited by anonymous (2014-06-06 21:38:46)

Offline

#1890 2014-06-06 23:08:04

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2010-09-02
Posts: 596

Re: Ideas for Janice

anonymous wrote:
imp2021 wrote:

* workspaces related:
hmm... I donno the tech behind them, but I had 4 or 6 of them on my ubuntu system, so 2 rows, 3 columns at max. And it was a charm for switching them, for the down row had like say graphical stuff, like inkscape or games or something, and the upper row had the more sophisticated stuff, like email, wiki.. so it was always like switching 'enviorements' on one key stroke.
..I am always like using 2 workspaces for a(ny) task. (so i need another 2 for a second task! but however, I am fine with 4 workspaces (btw the first thing i change after reinstall)). best example is for the use of idle (phyton interactive shell). I write in the editor, and I want the output on another workspace. I avoid using the mouse (which is charming on older thinkpads w/o touchpads), so tint aint the ideal option. besides it eats up screenspace.

There are Openbox keybinds to switch workspaces and you can install a different program for switching between programs too.

imp2021 wrote:

* the clipboard, the.. to explain that, I have to say, I am learning vim, which forces me into some weird CnP interactions, with register-interpretations, to learn.. And I miss(ed) Clipboard interactions in my normal workflow before. And it is not so obvious for me to use it on default. ..maybe the <ctr><alt>u shortcut on the conky shortcut to show would be sufficient. ..I actually using it now, but I might as well be here complaining with no solution. sry for that..

Unfortunately its still not clear what you want. Also what does <ctrl><alt>u do?

imp2021 wrote:

* Thunar.. ff, that thing!
Soooo, I am always in Ctrl+2 mode.. there is a column, that says 'Type'. (the one that says the filetype.. ) It seldom has more then 8 characters in it, except for symlinks or whatever.. But it is always way to large.. Just 3-8chr long, would be cool, but no, its like super large, and i have to scroll hmm not nice. ..couldnt figure it.. tried it.. but

You can resize the columns if you wish. I think you can even resize it to zero (essentially hiding it) though I might be confused with SpaceFM.

th3pun15h3r wrote:

Is there any other real lightweight composite managers besides compton?

Maybe unagi?

Already has a Debian package (and is in Arch too)
Only tested with AwesomeWM ? (Probably works anyway)


There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

Offline

#1891 2014-06-07 20:24:32

HELPME
#! Junkie
From: the holley land
Registered: 2013-11-15
Posts: 256
Website

Offline

#1892 2014-06-14 17:36:59

ONEr
Member
From: Turkey/Bursa
Registered: 2013-04-28
Posts: 10
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

when Janice mad


textil-industrial designer-economy

Offline

#1893 2014-06-14 17:54:06

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod
From: A world of pure imagination
Registered: 2014-01-21
Posts: 4,797

Re: Ideas for Janice

ONEr wrote:

when Janice mad

When ready big_smile

Offline

#1894 2014-06-14 18:15:28

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ONEr wrote:

when Janice mad

When ready big_smile

first comes Jessie .. and Debian says when Jessie is ready then comes Janice when corenominal gets it ready.  big_smile


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#1895 2014-06-16 18:16:16

olegabrielz
#! Junkie
From: Norway
Registered: 2014-06-14
Posts: 442

Re: Ideas for Janice

Please.. just keep it simple. Don't change to much.
In my opinion the beauty of #! lies in it's simplicity..!!

big_smile big_smile big_smile

Offline

#1896 2014-06-16 20:20:04

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
From: SR11 Cockpit
Registered: 2010-05-05
Posts: 15,667
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

olegabrielz wrote:

Please.. just keep it simple. Don't change to much.
In my opinion the beauty of #! lies in it's simplicity..!!

big_smile big_smile big_smile

+1


·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

Offline

#1897 2014-06-17 02:13:27

#!_828
#! Tinfoil Hat
From: Ohio, U. S. of A.
Registered: 2013-09-19
Posts: 1,244

Re: Ideas for Janice

Sector11 wrote:
olegabrielz wrote:

Please.. just keep it simple. Don't change to much.
In my opinion the beauty of #! lies in it's simplicity..!!

big_smile big_smile big_smile

+1

What I've been saying all along  cool


Those who would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither
Member of the (Un)Official #! Emergency Tinfoil Hat Distribution Center
Emergency Tinfoil Hat Conky Alert System development team

Offline

#1898 2014-06-17 03:21:44

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard
Registered: 2010-09-02
Posts: 596

Re: Ideas for Janice

#!_828 wrote:
Sector11 wrote:
olegabrielz wrote:

Please.. just keep it simple. Don't change to much.
In my opinion the beauty of #! lies in it's simplicity..!!

big_smile big_smile big_smile

+1

What I've been saying all along  cool

+1

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

“Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.”
― Henry David Thoreau, Walden and Other Writings

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
― E.F. Schumacher

“It is not a daily increase, but a daily decrease. Hack away at the inessentials.”
― Bruce Lee


There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

Offline

#1899 2014-06-17 03:26:54

lcafiero
The #! Guy
From: Felton, California, USA
Registered: 2011-07-21
Posts: 2,225
Website

Re: Ideas for Janice

jeffreyC wrote:

“It is not a daily increase, but a daily decrease. Hack away at the inessentials.”
― Bruce Lee

That's a good name for a distro: Bruce Lee Linux (to go with Chuck Norris Linux, or Chux)


Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Offline

Be excellent to each other!

#1900 2014-06-17 05:25:35

Alad
Software Satan
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 1,512

Re: Ideas for Janice

Crunchbang is not simple. GTK3, Network Manager, pulseaudio, udisks, ...  ]:D  tongue

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB

Copyright © 2012 CrunchBang Linux.
Proudly powered by Debian. Hosted by Linode.
Debian is a registered trademark of Software in the Public Interest, Inc.
Server: acrobat

Debian Logo