SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-14 00:22:39

houndhen
#! Member

[solved]wireless at motel that requires ID and password...

Running Crunchbang 10 32 bit.

When staying in a motel that gives you the login ID and password, I can never get to the page to login using Crunchbang. I have to go into XP and do the login and then reboot into Linux. My browser is Firefox and I have my home page as yahoo mail and my lastpass vault. What do I need to do to get to the login page of the motel that I am staying in? I have tried opening and blank tab and closing both my home tabs.

Last edited by houndhen (2014-06-16 01:54:25)

Thanks,
Harold

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2014-06-14 01:25:46

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Re: [solved]wireless at motel that requires ID and password...

That's odd. Which hotel is it? Are you using Firefox or Iceweasel on CrunchBang?

You may want to try this, and it may or may not work: Try setting your browser's home page to no home page (or google.com) or some other page than yahoo mail, save it, then open the browser to see if that makes a difference. If not, obviously you can change it back, but that would be my first try.

Meanwhile, someone may be along who knows more about the solution than I do. Good luck.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#3 2014-06-14 05:51:19

pvsage
Internal Affairs

This does seem odd.  The last time I stayed at a motel, I needed to enter their password in the wifi connection dialog in the NetworkManager applet, but I don't recall having to jump through any other hoops...other than making sure my netbook was within range of their router.

#4 2014-06-14 15:30:56

PackRat
#! Die Hard

I normally have to do what pvsage does - use nm-applet for the username and password; but sometimes, when the browser opens it will go to a page for the hotel where you need to accept their terms of service before you can use the service. So you may have to reset your homepage as well; maybe the default firefox page on your harddrive.

Last edited by PackRat (2014-06-14 15:31:55)

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce tribe

#5 2014-06-15 13:32:25

houndhen
#! Member

I tried deleting my home pages, closed the browser but didn't create a new home page - just had a blank tab. That didn't work either. But I get to try again when I shut down my laptop. Quite sure it will be something simple. After all Firefox in XP pulls up the login page for Comfort Inn so I will keep trying the ideas posted here.

Thanks,
Harold

#6 2014-06-15 13:36:33

Different55
#! CrunchBanger

Just to clarify, since you haven't mentioned it yet, what happens when you open Firefox, smash some random characters into the address bar, and hit enter?

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted my password in IRC and I had the same password set here so they changed my signature.

#7 2014-06-15 19:34:44

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

You could hit random charcaters or just go to google.com when you open the browser. That should bring you somewhere.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

#8 2014-06-16 01:53:32

houndhen
#! Member

Different55 wrote:

Just to clarify, since you haven't mentioned it yet, what happens when you open Firefox, smash some random characters into the address bar, and hit enter?

Nothing happens. I have since determined that Comfort Inn in Tulsa, OK has their login page coded for IE and windows only. After the daily reset so that I had to re-login, I opened XP & IE and it went to the login page. Firefox didn't. I even typed in the main address that was shown in IE but no login page was shown in FF. It is just simpler to boot XP and IE and log in and then go back to Crunchbang to do internet stuff.

Thanks,
Harold

#9 2014-06-16 01:58:50

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

That's very odd that Confort Inn would code the page for IE/Windows. Asking this rhetorically: What would Mac users, who have Safari as a default browser, do?

#10 2014-06-16 06:29:13

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

If you're desperate, you could try this method... tongue

Board footer