SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-10-15 14:04:07

Malice
#! Member

Should I use Crunchbang?(Thread just like others)

First off, I would like to say hello to everyone - it's my first post here! smile

Currently I am on my phase of moving to Linux from Windows. It is quite strange and overwhelming, but I'm good. Currently, I'm using Ubuntu, because it's so wide-known it's simple to find answer to my questions.

However, even now I am experiencing many problems. Also, I heard that Ubuntu is heading in a direction of separating itself from other distros, and probably becoming more like a new OS based on linux, rather then linux distro(am I right?).
And the last thing that I don't really like is that it's a bit too slow for me. I think GNOME may be the reason here, but it doesn't matter - slow is slow.

And Crunchbang is tagged as "lightweight" and fast OS. Based on Ubuntu, but quite not like it, at least from visual side. I hope it can serve me well, but I need your help - or opinion - on this thread. I hope I meet really nice guys here that will help me dive into Linux smile

So, let's cut to the chase: I am learning how to program in C++. I would like to have Code::Blocks IDE and some newer GCC compilers/debuggers with me on my OS, because that's what I had on my Windows. Does #! have these, and are these easy to obtain? Or maybe there's something even better then C::B? smile
Second thing is that I am also a player. I like to play games - a lot. On Ubuntu there is a Wine - but haven't tried it yet - is it available for #! ? Is Steam client also available for #! ?

Basically I'm player, and begginer programmer. If you think that this OS would fit my needs, then one last question: should I use 64 or 32 bit? I used 64 bit win, so it looks like obvious answer, but I want to make sure.

And you are welcome to help me with any tips, tricks, or guides for beggining #! user, if I am to be one soon.

Cheers!

PS. I almost forgot - currently I'm using Ubuntu. I have my music(~25gb) and games installed from steam(~30gb?) here, on /home. If I install #!, is there a way that I can save my music and games? Or will I have to download it again(or take from USB stick)?

Last edited by Malice (2013-10-15 14:19:44)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-10-15 14:24:19

tamikan
#! Die Hard

Re: Should I use Crunchbang?(Thread just like others)

Welcome aboard Malice

Oh so you program in C++ then you'll love geany editor that is shipped with #! (that's what I use for C++)
You'll enjoy the lightweightness of #! compared to Ubuntu.

I must warn you though #! is addictive (there is no turning back XD)

Top things ]:D
dwb | Firefox Nightly | sakura | emacs | moc | #! | Arch | Doing 1 thing @ the time | Music from the 90s

#3 2013-10-15 14:24:34

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Actually #! is based on Debian, but it hasn't been too difficult to use ubuntu apps on #! here.

I too am a programmer in C++, and I personally use the Eclipse IDE for all my C++ programming.

As for Wine and steam, yes, they are both available for #! smile

if you have 4 or more gigabytes of RAM, use 64-bit, otherwise go with 32-bit.

finally, welcome to the #! community Malice!  smile

Last edited by CSCoder4ever (2013-10-15 14:25:05)

#4 2013-10-15 14:30:06

bauwle
#! Member

Crunchbang is not based on ubuntu, it is based on debian which is what ubuntu based on.
Debian stable which crunchbang waldorf is based on uses software that you may find outdated, but that what makes it so stable.
yes you can install wine, but steam is not available on waldorf unless you upgrade to testing instead of stable

#5 2013-10-15 14:30:53

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

I don't use wine or steam, but aren't they much easier to install on a 32-bit system? That might be a consideration for the OP. And the 32-bit PAE kernel can use more than 4G memory.

Malice, one thing you might consider is that #! is based on Debian stable. This means that most of its packages are older than what you're used to in Ubuntu. If there are specific versions of packages you know you need, you can check packages.debian.org to see which versions are available in the Stable, Testing, and unstable branches.

There are ways to install newer packages on #!, but they are not without some risk and work on your part.

#6 2013-10-15 14:46:14

Malice
#! Member

Thank you all for your replies!

As for being Ubuntu-based - my bad. I recall that it was firstly basing on Ubuntu, but yeah, totally forgot it's Debian-based now.

And my last question still remains unanswered - if I leave steam games on my /home partition and don't format it, will it work nice with steam on #! ?
And one last question; I hope the answer is yes.
If I ever choose to upgrade/reinstall/upgrade #!, is it just as simple as inserting disk and formatting / , /boot? In other words - will I have the same possibility as here, to leave /home untouched and just reinstall system?

Thanks guys!

#7 2013-10-15 15:03:56

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang, Malice, and hope you enjoy the distro. Here are a couple of tips to help you enjoy the software and navigate the forums more efficiently and productively.

Looking for an answer? Start here:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=672

Also, if you haven't done so already, make sure you read the forum etiquette post here:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=21671

Good luck and thanks for using CrunchBang.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#8 2013-10-15 20:11:04

Camel

Malice wrote:

Second thing is that I am also a player. I like to play games - a lot. On Ubuntu there is a Wine - but haven't tried it yet - is it available for #! ? Is Steam client also available for #! ?

Wine is available for #!.

sudo apt-get install wine

That simple. Take a look at the playonlinux package too, it's a front-end for it. I haven't used wine in a long time and haven't ever used POL so do your own research, YMMV, etc.

Steam is available but it's not in the official repos. Here's a few links for you to peruse. Again, do your own research, read the threads fully, YMMV.

Steam on Debian Wheezy 64bit (and probably 32bit too!)
Running Steam on Debian (Wheezy) 64 bit (evading missing libGL.so.1 library problem)
aLaserShark's guide to installing steam on crunchbang.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/di … 5268605619

Basically I'm player, and begginer programmer. If you think that this OS would fit my needs, then one last question: should I use 64 or 32 bit? I used 64 bit win, so it looks like obvious answer, but I want to make sure.

As someone else said, 64 bit (or 32-bit PAE) if you have 4+ gigs of RAM, 32 bit (non-PAE) otherwise. Since you're a programmer you may want to look into this a little bit more to see what effect 32/64 will have on compile times, etc.

PS. I almost forgot - currently I'm using Ubuntu. I have my music(~25gb) and games installed from steam(~30gb?) here, on /home. If I install #!, is there a way that I can save my music and games? Or will I have to download it again(or take from USB stick)?

Is your /home on a separate partition? If so you're golden, just set that partition as your /home when installing #!, and be sure to tell it not to format it, just to use it as-is.

If it's not on a separate partition then you're either going to want to make one and transfer everything over there for safekeeping, or move everything to an external device and move it back over when you're done. If you don't do one of those, and your /home is on the same partition as /, and you keep that setup when #! installs, it's going to overwrite everything on that partition with the #! system, including a fresh, new, empty /home. So it depends how you're set up right now.

Hope this helps!

#9 2013-10-15 20:52:20

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

One thing to add - this might appear obvious, but it's relatively important, so I'll say it anyway - if you're going to use a shared /home partition, back it up before the install just in case.

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#10 2013-10-16 09:36:46

fatmac
#! Die Hard

Re using your home 'partition' is fairly easy, however there will be old 'dot' files left in it from your previous system if you just reuse it.
If you don't want that, just create your home as a different user to the one you used on your previous distro. (All the other files will remain under the previous user name, just move them into your new user name's directory, then you can delete the old user from the system.

Linux since 1999
Currently:  AntiX, & Crunchbang.
A good general beginners book for Linux :- http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
A good Debian read :- http://debian-handbook.info/get/now/

Board footer