SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-24 22:57:23

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Fiddling with the Waldorf iso ... for fun n profit! UPDATED!

This babble how to assumes 2 things ... either a. You have an ancient pc, that isn't equipped with a dvd-rw drive and cannot boot via usb, though you still want some crunchiness in your life.

b. You just want to fiddle with the Waldorf iso, becuz like DebianJoe ... "You're just gangsta like that." big_smile

Ok let's proceed ... some things we'll need,

1. A pc with a decent linux OS installed on it ( going to assume summin Debianlike ... , preferably a good spec one, ie: dual or quad-core with enough muscle to get the job done more quickly.

unwanted disclosure ... nix OS used was Linux Mint 14 xfce version here. My opinions of buntu are known/recorded ... Still that's what was used n what am presently running as main nix OS. Like it too, there's a shizzleton of other nix OS's that are more than good. Nixbbq and a gazillion others, including #!.

If you have access to such a system, use it for this instead of a spec poor one and just install the iso created on the low spec afterwards. Unsquashing and creating the new squashfs is the only real cpu intensive task involved.

Also you will need 10gbs of free diskspace on the nix OS/partition this is going to be done on. A user with root or sudo privileges too.As well as some packages, squashfs-tools and genisoimage, check to see if these are already installed via terminal or synaptic, if not install them.

3. The most recent Waldorf iso ( I used/am using ... crunchbang-11-20130506-i686 the 32bit pae version o course. Though obviously you can adapt this to whichever arch you prefer.)

4. Nerves of steel ( well ... not really, but sayin that adds to the suspense. tongue)

Also see Johnraff informative post, it's number 12 below. Has some good suggestions I'm just too lazy to incorp into this monster post. In fact would read the entire discourse through-out this thread before undertaking this project. In the end ye shall be rewarded with a custom #!, whether cd sized or just pimped out to your preferences.

Ready ... set ? Begin fiddling !

Create a directory/folder called newiso in your users /home directory. Copy and paste the crunchbang iso into the newiso folder.

Right click on the newiso folder and select "Open as root".

Right click on the crunchbang iso and select "Extract here" Which of course extracts it, creating a folder such as (called) crunchbang-11-20130506-i686 , Open that folder, inside you'll see another folder named "live", open that folder there'll be a file called filesystem.squashfs, right click on that select cut, then go back out into the newiso directory, once in that directory select paste, to paste the filesystem.squashfs there. Leave thunar open.

This is where things start getting interesting, make sure you've got a fire-extinguisher close-by. big_smile

Open a terminal, then type "cd newiso", this puts you inside the newiso folder, if you ever get confused during this type "pwd" which stands for print working directory and this will tell you where in the nix filesystem you are. Though the terminal will show you where you are too. ie: It'll be showing "~/newiso $"

Anyway, now we've got a terminal open and are inside the newiso folder. Now type the following command in terminal ...

sudo unsquashfs filesystem.squashfs

Which unsquashes the filesystem.squashfs and creates a directory called squashfs-root, let it finish doing it's thing. Type "ls" to list all the files/folders in the directory, ya see what's in there folks.

Now we're/you're getting ready to chroot the sucker ( The squashfs-root folder)  In the terminal you will/should still be in the newiso folder right now. Type the following ( and nothing wrong with copy/paste ... )

sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /etc/hosts squashfs-root/etc/
sudo mount --bind /dev/ squashfs-root/dev
sudo chroot squashfs-root
mount -t proc none /proc
mount -t sysfs none /sys
mount -t devpts none /dev/pts
export HOME=/root
export LC_ALL=C
dbus-uuidgen > /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl
ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl
dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

During console setup just accept defaults by pressing the Enter key, when you get to font arrow down and select Terminus then accept the default font size.

This is where you remove packages.

We are going to use the following command to list the largest packages, they're listed largest to smallest and of course we're going to purge a bunch of them to get rid of them and thusly reduce the size of the .iso we're making here.

dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Installed-Size} ${Package}\n' | sort -nr | less

Use up/down arrows to scroll and look around folks. You really don't need to worry about this, as I've already been here ... done this. But still thought it worth mentioning. Let's get back to business.

Hit the "q" key on you keyboard to exit this and get back to the root command prompt. Now it's truly time to start purging stuff. Will show an example of how to check what packages are installed for a/any particular app. ie: I type the following to see what packages are related to abiword.

dpkg -l | grep abiword

And it'll show packages related to abiword that are installed, similar to

li abiword                                                     
li abiword-common                                               
li abiword-plugin-grammar                                     
li abiword-plugin-mathview                                     
li libabiword-2.9:i386

Each one of those li's(list item) are a package related to abiword. We are going to purge all of them ( KILL EM, KILL EM ALLLLLL! ) Now I could just do it like so ...

apt-get remove --purge abiword*

Which should/would likely get rid of all the abiword and abiword depends in one swift swipe or they'd get removed later when you/we cleanup. But being overly anal, am going to do it longhand with.

apt-get remove --purge abiword abiword-common abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview libabiword-2.9:i386

Apt will do it's thing and the terminal output will tell you what's going to be removed, how much space will be recovered and ask are you sure ya wanna do this, press y/n. We want to do this ... so we press the y key and hit Enter.

Wham all these pesky abiword packages are purged and we are on our way to a downsized crunchbang iso ! big_smile

Ok now we could repeat this for every package we're intending to purge, these include ...

gimp, samba, goffice, evince, iceweasel, aptitude, and vlc. We've already done abiword. Though think this gives you a good idea of how the process goes and for the sake of saving you time and trying to do my good nix deed of the day, I'm going to list the command to just copy/paste into terminal. You will have to do the one above for removing the abiword packages yourself though, those packages are not included below. Sheesh here goes ...

apt-get remove --purge gimp gimp-data gimp-gmic gimp-plugin-registry libgimp2.0 samba-common samba-common-bin libvlc5 libvlccore5 vlc vlc-data vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-pulse aptitude aptitude-common iceweasel evince evince-common libgoffice-0.8-8 libgoffice-0.8-8-common

Copy/paste into terminal, press Enter and, it finishes, select y = yes to purge all these and WHAMO! That'll teach these packages, for daring to bloat up the Waldorf iso ! D:

Time to clean things up.

cd /
apt-get autoclean && apt-get autoremove

This gets rid of a ton of unneeded/wanted dependencies that are left over from the stuff that was purged. A total of 73 of the suckers. Good riddens ! We carry on cleaning things up.

rm -rf /tmp/* ~/.bash_history
rm /etc/resolv.conf /etc/hosts
rm /var/lib/dbus/machine-id
rm /sbin/initctl
dpkg-divert --rename --remove /sbin/initctl
dpkg -l > packages.txt

Sighs ... we're getting there folks. Now switch over to thunar, which should still have the newiso folder in your /home/username opened as root. If not ... open thunar and open the newiso folder as root again. Open the squashfs-root folder, then right click on the packages.txt file inside it, select cut ... Go back out into the newiso and paste it here. Right click on it again and select rename, rename it filesystem.packages and remove the .txt extension from it.

Next up ... right click on the filesystem.packages file you just renamed, select copy, then go into the crunchbang-11-20130506-i686 folder, then go into the /live folder, delete the filesystem.packages file that's already there and paste in the new one to replace it.

Then navigate your way out, back into the newiso folder. Time to unmount stuff and get ready to exit the chroot.

umount /proc
umount /sys
umount /dev/pts

Now we exit the chroot by typing "exit" in the terminal. Next up unmount /dev/ with ...

sudo umount squashfs-root/dev

If it asks you for your password when you do this ... ALL IS LOST ... kidding, it'll ask you for your password. Good now /dev is unmounted. Time to make the new squashfs ... whooo. In terminal ( while you're still in the the newiso folder) type ...

sudo mksquashfs squashfs-root crunchbang-11-20130506-i686/live/filesystem.squashfs -comp xz

And that's what'll do, resquash the squashfs-root file and create the new filesystem.squashfs in crunchbang-11-20130506-i686/live/filesystem.squashfs. Let it finish, this can take a several minutes on a decent spec/cpu pc and can take ALOT longer on a single core underpowered box. That's why I suggested you do this on a pc with some decent specs.

Once it's done, in thunar, open the crunchbang-11-20130506-i686 folder again, delete the existing SHA256SUM file you find there. We're going to replace it with a new one in a sec.

Now back in terminal "cd" = change directory so that you're in the crunchbang-11-20130506-i686 folder.

cd crunchbang-11-20130506-i686

Make yourself root by typing "sudo su", enter PW andddddd, make the new SHA256SUM file with the following command.

find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sha256sum > SHA256SUM

Ok in terminal you're/we're still in the crunchbang-11-20130506-i686 folder folks. Time to make the new downsized .iso ! Thank gawd ! Enter following command.

mkisofs -D -r -V "Crunchbanglite" -cache-inodes \
-J -l -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot \
-boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o ../crunchbang-lite.iso .

You'll find your shiny new crunchbang-lite.iso in the newiso folder. Yippie !

Some notes: When I finished doing this, right clicked on the new .iso and choose properties, the size showed up as 708.6mbs ... do not be alarmed, it's not actually that big and will fit on a 700mb cd with room to spare.

I copied it to a ntfs(windows) shared partition, where magically it was then showing up as 675mbs in size. Also when started uploading the sucker to a file sharing site, same thing. So yeppers you've got a cd sized Waldorf .iso to enjoy.

I prefer making .iso(s) with a program called Isoworkshop under windows: It's kickbutt freeware and can be found over in the snapfiles.com freeware section. Thing has never given me a coaster.

One quirk with the finished iso that's been created. You will not be able to run live session with it. Whichever tools Waldorf has for doing so, did not like the fiddling or perhaps the compression format used to make the filesystem.squashfs. Again do not be alarmed, it installs fine. Installed like a champ on the crusty desktop pc I've got and after dorking around ( testing) the new install for quite awhile, thing is working like a charm.

Just install the Waldorf OS normally and enjoy. If you're uber paranoid and have access to Virtualbox, give the sucker a test run there. I did ... installed and is running fine there too. Lastly not leastly to conclude this incredible and by this point somewhat painful babble how 2. Final cleanup ... in terminal run "df -h" ... Notice anything odd ?

You might see a crapton of your partition is filled up .. yep you guessed it, do not be alarmed. What happened to me ( and what will likely happen to you too.) It took me several tries and experiments to figure this junk out. As such ... several times I deleted an .iso or uncompressed and several compressed filesystem.squashfs files, as well as several crunchbang folders.

Went to save something ... WRONG ... partition full. Said wth ... to myself ( cursed a few times.) Popped open a term and "df -h". Sure enough, my root partition was 95% full! Arghhhhhh. Everytime I deleted one of those HUGE files, they were being sent to roots Trash folder. How I solved it ... ran bleachbit as root "gksudo bleachbit" and emptied the trash.

Did the same again user "bleachbit" Also did a "du -h" and noticed a crapton of huge files located under /home/myusername/.local/share/Trash/expunged. Clicked my way into this pain in de arse folder, opened it as root and permanently deleted all the crap there ( select HUGE craptastic files, then Shift + del keys), giving me back all my precious diskspace. Though if you run bleachbit as root and empty the trash should get rid of this junk. This is also why I suggested you do this on an OS/partition with a decent amount of free diskspace to work with.

Just a warning and how to fix it, if happens to you too thingy. There you have it peeps.

Viva la gnu/Linux ! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2014-08-16 16:33:52)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-09-25 00:01:12

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Re: Fiddling with the Waldorf iso ... for fun n profit! UPDATED!

NICE!!!

No time at the moment movie coming on in minutes but will certainly have a look ...

Nerves of wet noodles count?

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#3 2013-09-25 00:11:09

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Absolutely ... had to proof read, strip out typos n whatnot though. It now gets the official cbiz seal of babble approval. After all the dang time invest figured it had to be posted. Though still wanting to upload the finished product to a file sharing site for whoever may want to avoid doing all that above. Sheesh ... mostly still hoping Corenominal shoots out a cd sized iso for folks. Ye gawds !

Enjoy da movie Sector. wink

(CB) < seal of da approval. tongue

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-25 00:11:49)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#4 2013-09-25 09:52:09

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

cool work, CBiz. once she's shared, i'll link it up, next to darkside 8)

#5 2013-09-25 12:44:14

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Seabiscuit, this is excellent! Just what I wanted!  cool

There's this old box I've got out in the sticks, no internet and precious little CPU, RAM or disk space, but I want to use it as a music player. At the moment #! 9 (Jaunty) is the best I can do with it but a savagely cut down Waldorf should be just the job. (No internet means the system on the disk has to be about right from the start.)

Many thanks, and I'll try this out soon! smile

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#6 2013-09-25 16:20:20

johnraff
nullglob
Website

...I wonder...
would it be possible to install some packages to that chrooted system? Does it have any kind of internet access? I mean, if I could install Leafpad then Geany could go, mplayer rather than vlc...
(Remember, there's no internet access where that box is located, and it's a rather unportable desktop, so having it all on the CD would be a big plus.)

John
--------------------

#7 2013-09-25 17:40:42

GekkoP
#! Junkie
Website

Very nice tutorial.

#8 2013-09-26 09:09:22

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Yeppers John, from what I gather works both ways ... purge or install, though yeah, the pc it's being done on would need net access to get anything from whatever repos. Wasn't my goal here ... so didn't try it. Was trying to downsize. You'd have to play around with it yourself, should just be as simple as "apt-get update" and "apt-get install packagename1 packagename2" that you want.

Mentioned above, don't see any harm in doing this process on a decent spec system and then just installing the finished iso onto a spec poor pc. That's what I did ... created iso on highspec laptop ... installed finished iso on crusty low-spec desktop system.

Also neglected to mention something obvious, mainly because it's well ... obvious. Once the OS is installed from downsized iso, some stuff in the Waldorf menu will not work anymore. ie: If you've removed gimp, then select gimp in the Waldorf menu, it's obviously not going to work ... and the obvious solution ... reinstall gimp OR change the menu.xml. I wanted gimp reinstalled, so "sudo apt-get install gimp" or synaptic ... Gimp menu selection working as desired again afterwards.

PS ... trying again to upload the sucker to Filefactory,

This time using gnu/nix, hopefully it'll be considerate enough not to go into some power-saving mode, while an upload is in progress. Sheesh, would still feel better if had the official nod from Corenominal too. Though unless he posts or PM's telling me not to proceed, will go ahead and upload the thing. Will post info URL-filename + md5sum in the other thread, if/when ever get the dang thing uploaded.

Though this is the step by step to the process I used to get it done. Worked fine for me ... as such, will work for anyone else too. Also as usual hope all the good nixers and bangers here, are having a good one. wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-26 09:27:50)

#9 2013-09-27 15:35:05

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Opps ... reread more closely @Johnraff ...

The target system not having net access = Don't think it'd go over real well. Some others perhaps, remastered systems ... Clonezilla ? That kinda thing perhaps ( have never bothered getting familiar with either of those utils.) ... Couldn't be a bad idea to stop by the grill and ask about the topic either. Buncha other potential approaches come to mind. Though nothing I could offer step by step smooth pops into head.

For installing a fiddled iso as above. Yeah fairly well sure net access on target system required.

Vll!

#10 2013-10-08 16:54:39

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Ah well...
Thanks for all your work on this.
I might give it a try anyway, just to see what happens.

John
--------------------

#11 2013-10-08 20:59:32

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Sure thing John ... Hope you find a good work around on fix.

Vll! smile

#12 2013-10-10 18:25:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Hey, it's not looking too bad. smile
I can't check the iso on the target machine till next week (out in the sticks) but on a virtualbox, processor set to non-pae, it works perfectly - the live session too!
The iso is down to 618.7MB and includes leafpad, localepurge, mplayer and openssh-server.

A few notes:
*) Anyone still using Statler oldstable like me will need to upgrade squashfs-tools to 1.4.2 from the statler backports.
*) I chose the crunchbang-11-20130506-i486.iso 32 bit non-pae since it's a pretty old box I'm hoping to install on.
*) Ran apt-get update and upgrade in the chroot and it seemed to work fine, as did installing a couple of packages I wanted, along with removing all the ones biscuit suggested plus geany* and a 686-pae kernel that was included along with the 486. The packages I installed here were there in the final installed #!
*) Also installed and ran localepurge which took out another big chunk of space:

localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/locale: 205577 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/man: 5316 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/gnome/help: 9341 KiB
localepurge: Disk space freed in /usr/share/omf: 140 KiB

Total disk space freed by localepurge: 220374 KiB

*) Ran 'apt-get clean' along with autoclean and autoremove. In fact if you use clean you don't need autoclean. This empties all the installed packages .deb files from the archive., and should save quite a lot of megabytes.
*) One change I made from biscuit's instructions: if you look at the original filesystem.packages file it's a list of packages and their version numbers. Just that. 'dpkg -l > packages.txt' makes a slightly different file, with descriptions and stuff, so I used this command

dpkg -l | awk '/^[hi]i/ {print($2,$3)}' > packages.txt

which makes something more like the original file. Since it's in the "live" directory I thought it might just possibly increase the chance of the live session working.
*) At 'sudo umount squashfs-root/dev' I got 'umount: /data/john/newiso/squashfs-root/dev: device is busy.' I ran 'fuser -m /data/john/newiso/squashfs-root/dev' and got a couple of dozen pids of important-looking processes that shouldn't perhaps be killed. I don't know what the problem was here, but I just shut the box down. Of course after rebooting the directory wasn't mounted...

Everything else, I followed biscuit's orders and got a nice new iso which looks very promising, at least in virtualbox. The target machine is very old (450MHz P3) but I'm hoping it'll be OK.
Seabiscuit, thank you again for this guide. I'd never have figured all that out by myself!
red_flag_tux.png

Last edited by johnraff (2013-10-11 05:19:12)

John
--------------------

#13 2013-10-10 19:49:26

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Definitely John  ... Makes the time spent worthwhile when a good nixer gets use from it. Besides it's just pay back, learned a buncha tips n tricks from stuff you've shared in the crunch forum. Also thanks for the feedback and refinements fellow nixer. Weird thing ... live session didn't work for me, install went fine *head scratches.

Posted a download link for a 676mb unofficial Waldorf iso in another thread. Several people said live session worked fine for them. Oh well ... hope your upcoming install goes off without a hitch John. smile

Vll!

#14 2013-10-10 19:55:28

saneks
#! Die Hard

as I reported in the other thread, CBizgreat!'s ISO works wonderful, even live. and I could install it on a very old 256mb laptop machine even though CBiz used the i686 PAE - was surprised that CBiz did not use the i486 version for the lite version, but as said, it works fine as it is.

maybe I will try that how-to as well and create a crunchbang lite version with Midori and a light music player to have more fuctionality OOTB. don't know how to add programs to a ISO though..

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#15 2013-10-10 20:04:54

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Also thanks for your feedback in that other thread Saneks. Went with the 686-pae because it should work for the majority of people. In that massive wall of babble aka: how to, above ... To add stuff you'd use good ole "apt-get install packagename1 packagename2". Of course purge the stuff you don't want included in the iso as described fellow nixer.

Vll! smile

Babble afterthought: Though you're right too Saneks, probably should've went with the lowest common denominator ... dang it ! For people with M or really old processors. Folks could always have upgraded the kernel later. Hindsight = 20/20 arghhhh.

Got tired of incessantly griping about a 770mb iso and folks w/o cd install options. The ole beloved crusty desktop has a dvd drive anyway. The kernel thing does kinda open another can of worms now thatcha mention it. If would've thought it through better ... yep, should've done 486 instead perhaps. Still thinking the overall majority should be fine w 686-pae though.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-10-10 21:02:05)

#16 2013-10-11 00:27:47

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

UPDATE: Good news for Johnraff ...

I was wrong, you in fact don't need a net connection to install one of these suckers. Just installed a modified Waldorf on the laptop, added backports and for the heck of it upgraded the kernel ( purged the others) and a buncha the firmware packages. Again mainly to see what would happen, then letter rip.

Typing on Waldorf + new lappy now and install was done without any internet connection. So assuming you should be good to go. Oddly enough, tried live session again and NOPE, not for me ! Arghhhh ... though rest of the install went off without a problem. Outside of backlight being a lil dim, becuz of the dam amd ati radeon/hardware headaches. The install is working like a charm. Was hoping upgrading firmware would sort it ... Not yet. Probably sort it out later, shrugs. But so far so good.

Anyway ... long way of saying, looks like you are clear for takeoff Mr. Raff. wink

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-10-11 00:43:18)

#17 2013-10-11 05:31:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^good news!

i forgot to mention in the last post, I also ran 'apt-get clean'. This clears out apt's archives which will be full of deb files for anything you've just installed, which might be a lot if you've done an upgrade.

I had a look at Dr xaos' thread about chrooting and it did suggest a possible solution to that /dev failing to umount thing I got: use the 'umount -l' lazy option. Just rebooting worked out OK anyway but I'll give '-l' a try if I do this stuff again. Xaos also did all his mounting (with --bind) before going into the chroot. I don't know what difference that might make...

If we can get the minor bugs (like live being unreliable) out of it this might be an interesting way to make all kinds of #! respins!  cool

John
--------------------

#18 2013-10-11 10:01:09

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Thanks for that too John ... Did both clean and autoclean. Also glad you shared your experience + tip earlier, last time around ran into the same issue you did with squashfs-root/dev not wanting to unmount. Used same method you did to get around it.

Looks like lotsa processes are getting fired up when someone starts installing packages to a fiddled iso. That didn't happen when only purging, I mean squashfs-root/dev unmounted without any issues. This install is working fine, figured out the backlight issue. Lmao, kinda embarrassing ... spent quite awhile screwing with it. Hmmm .. what packages am I missing etc etc. Somewhere along the way, thought why not try the damn built in brightness keys on the laptop ? Bingo. lol

The live session thing, seems I'm the only one affected by the phenomenon John ! Majority are saying live session works fine for them. Guess the iso gawds don't like me or something. wink Installs like a champion, live session ? Not so much ??? 8)

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-10-11 10:02:49)

#19 2013-10-11 15:45:39

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Interesting to think, once you've got that file system unsquashed maybe you can change anything before resquashing it and rebuilding the iso. It certainly ought to be OK to tweak the files in /etc/skel that will go into a new user's home dir. Install some new app, and add a presetup config file. Add a directory full of custom scripts...  cool

(I'm thinking about trying to adapt your method to make a #!/xfce respin.)

It also ought to be possible to edit the cb-welcome script so it offers to reinstall the apps that were taken out to make it fit on a CD.

Last edited by johnraff (2013-10-11 15:49:05)

John
--------------------

#20 2013-10-12 11:57:09

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

"Should" be possible ... can say for sure the iso took an updated kernel, the 3.10-whatever from the wheezy backports. Yep John thought of doing something like that with the < 700mb iso, I mean including an easy way to reinstall the packages taken out, shrugs. Too much work ... got em started, they can do the rest. wink

Respin till you're satisfied my friend. Hoping not to see a ton of unofficial #! spins hit the airwaves. Might take away from #! ( Corenominal's work), shrugs. Same time ... if you come up with a kickbutt respin ( and am sure you could John), heel yeah share it, if ya feel like it. smile Just wanted to give an under 700mb option to folks who need it. Where it goes from there ... no telling. Could be interesting. Appears much fiddling with the iso(s) is possible.

Anyone who wants to have @ it ! Follow your nix muse. wink

Vll!

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-10-12 12:00:47)

#21 2014-01-03 23:18:44

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Finally got around to giving this a shot, as I want to try my hand at making a #! Unstable LiveISO (per ew's urging/needling), and I figured stripping an existing ISO was a good starting point.  I was failing in the last step with "mkisofs: command not found".  This is because in Debian releases since Etch, the proper command is genisoimage.  Sitch solved! cool

Gotta rush off to work, but I'll dig a bit more into this over the weekend.

#22 2014-01-05 02:37:37

ew
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

Finally got around to giving this a shot, as I want to try my hand at making a #! Unstable LiveISO (per ew's urging/needling), and I figured stripping an existing ISO was a good starting point.  I was failing in the last step with "mkisofs: command not found".  This is because in Debian releases since Etch, the proper command is genisoimage.  Sitch solved! cool

Gotta rush off to work, but I'll dig a bit more into this over the weekend.

Hey. Don`t steal my project  tongue Just kidding. I`ll make something different big_smile

- apt-mark hold account

#23 2014-01-05 06:01:05

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Actually, I was just dangling a hook in the water and drifting downstream, hoping you'd swim along and bite. ]:D

#24 2014-01-05 13:11:58

ew
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

Actually, I was just dangling a hook in the water and drifting downstream, hoping you'd swim along and bite. ]:D

A little fishing doesn`t hurt once in a while. If the bait is good enough you could catch something lol

Anyway, thanks for leading me down this stream, because this is really interesting, as I get to use the Debian Installer if I do it this way. I`ve actually come up with a new project that I don`t wan t to reveal anything about, until it`s done. If it`s possible, that is. This is something that would be most useful and is asked for. If I can solve it by my idea, it`s actually no less than a big game changer. The idea seems to easy to work, and that`s why I`m not sharing it until I know that it actually works big_smile

Anyway. While fiddling with this yesterday, some ironic issues hit me. I`m always badtalking stable and want a unstable image. But in order to make the unstable image, I need to do it from a stable enviroment, as this bug hit me in unstable: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=723562

I didn`t even get to extract the iso lol

- apt-mark hold account

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2014-01-06 18:54:52

ew
#! Die Hard

Well. It didn`t turn out to well for me. I got to create the ISO, but it didn`t boot in live-mode, stopped halfway up. And Installing it seemed to work fine, but it failed to install grub-pc, and when I booted the install, it was all there, and it booted just fine. But once up I noticed a lot of issues with the install.

Perhaps I was to ambicious, because I didn`t restrict myself to removing some packages. I upgraded it to testing in chroot, but there was obviously some incompability in the Debian Installer, or in other configuration-files on the ISO, because there were changes between the filesystem I squashed, and the finished install...

I`ll have to dig deeper into this. Perhaps take the full step and learn Debian Live, because something tells me that I will not be happy unless I`m able to master it. But Vastone could be right, perhaps Debian Live and the Debian installer doesnt work to well with unstable. Because there has to be a reason why most unstable distros use some kind of live installer, like  BBQ and VSIDO does. Actually, I don`t know if I`ve ever tried a unstable distro with the same Debian installer that Crunchbang use.

So where to go from now? I have no problem creating distros with BBQ, and no problem doing it the way that Vsido does it. They are actually quite simmular. The only problem with this is that the installers doesn`t offer as much options as the Debian installer. You don`t get to set custom mount-points, and the only mount-points you can set, is root, home and swap, or only root and home, if you use a installer where swap isn`t mandatory.

I could settle with this way of doing it, or I will have to learn how to do it like Corenominal does. Too bad they are so secretive about this. It doesn`t seem like anyone who masters it, wants other people to learn how to do it. Almost like they are some kind of closed circle, like the magicians, because there isn`t any good howto`s or tutorials available anywhere. So I guess I will have to start here:
http://live.debian.net/manual/3.x/html/ … al.en.html

Last edited by ew (2014-01-06 18:57:08)

- apt-mark hold account

Board footer