SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-22 23:51:28

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

One nixers epic journy to downsize the Waldorf iso to fit on a 700mb!

Whew ... pretty much what the title says ...

After many ... (read: MANY) headaches + buttpains + bleeding from my friggin eyeballs, managed to downsize the waldorf iso to fit on a 700mbs cd ! Arghhhhhhh !

Sheesh ... thought it wasn't going to be much problem ( esp for an uber l33t nix ninja, such as meself. tongue = BULLS**T!) Gotter done though, typing on Waldorf 32bit-pae system ... On the good ole crusty P4 512mb/ram ddr2 desktop pc anddddd, I like it ... Sighs. Had a point when started posting this junk ... However due to sleep deprivation and ethanol abuse ... Will have to update later and add the relevant info.

Was wondering ... if Corenominal would give permission to seed this sucker and ( if so) who would be willing to share it ? Took alot of friggin headaches to figure out how to fiddle with it. Though end result is a crunchbanglite.iso ... that seems to be working perfectly and doesn't take the installation of many packages after the fact to bring it up to a full Waldorf install.

Had to remove some stuff from the iso's filesystem.squashfs ...

Includ ... gimp, samba, whatever the office software is included, iceweasel, aptitude, ... probably some others am forgetting at the moment but kept notes on the process and don't mind sharing once head isn't so fuzzy. tongue Figured ... hell, I'll just extract the iso, fiddle around a bit, remove some stuff, repackage it and all will be good. ( note: See the BULLS**T! above.)

Not that matters as #! is Corenominal's baby and as such he has every right to make an iso whatever size he deems necessary. Do think he's leaving behind many folks ... Sounds like he's aware of this and planning to resolve it in the next release. My thought is why wait for the next release, when #! is losing many good bangers in the interrim ? Not trying to be critical ( or harsh) but a 770-808mb iso ... to me just doesn't make sense, shrugs. Use a 4.7gb dvd ( or usb drive if a persons pc is capable.) to install an 808mb iso ?

That's not my decision or place though ... and really don't blame Corenominal for not wanting to stay in the distro darkages. Just seems to me, that's a big part of #!'s target audience and leaving them out perhaps not the best move ?

Am shutting it now ... more later. For those interested see/find the download link in post #8 below.

Vl#!! wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2014-08-16 18:13:05)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2013-09-23 08:00:33

saneks
#! Die Hard

Re: One nixers epic journy to downsize the Waldorf iso to fit on a 700mb!

nice one.. can you upload it somewhere so we can testdrive your lite version?

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#3 2013-09-23 10:13:46

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Sure thing ... looking over some file sharing sites now, somebody have a good recommendation for a good one(s) ? No official word atm either ... though don't really see a problem with that, iso is #! Waldorf ... not like I even attempted to customize anything ( artwork/branding or scripts etc.) Just extracted the iso, unsquashed the filesystem.squashfs ... chrooted the dang thing ... Removed enough unnecessary stuff to shrink the sucker down ... resquashed it and re-rolled da sucker back into an iso. Planning on posting a babble how 2 about it.

Sounds simple right ?( and really isn't bad, WHEN you know what the hell you're doing, which I didn't and so had to do more than a tad of research to get it done ... ARGH!) Long babbling way of saying, the dang thing is still #! Waldorf ... nothing more, nuttin less. You get all of da crunch, all of da bang ... only fewer calories. tongue So suggestions appreciated fellows.

Vl#!! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-23 10:15:24)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#4 2013-09-23 12:43:33

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

and Penny's just left, typical....
nice work CbiZ
maybe sourceforge for hosting?
despite being Core's work, the software are all under GNU (Something) licence?

#5 2013-09-23 13:11:22

dkeg
#! Die Hard

word biz, deja vu

Last edited by dkeg (2013-09-24 13:47:55)

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#6 2013-09-23 15:50:49

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

You could probably use http://sourceforge.net/publish/ for hosting.

#7 2013-09-24 12:03:03

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Considered dorking with sourceforge ... Though isn't anything I've developed. Just a fiddled with iso to make it small enough to fit a cd/cd-rw. All credit goes to and stays with Corenominal of course fellas. wink Just got tired of seeing people w/o dvd-usb having no install options. Am sure Core, will likely get around to making an official liteiso though. Hopefully anyway, am sure he has plenty of other things going on.

Trying to upload to FileFactory atm, upload status bar is slowly creeping along, this brings back 56k dial-up nightmares. Gottaluv creeping status bars, like watching a frozen turtle haul a**. Though not really surprising a 675mb file is bound to take awhile. Will update and let folks know when/if da sucker successfully uploads and becomes available. Add any info, filename + md5sum, what got chopped out to cut it down to size and babble commentary of course. tongue

Vll! fellow nixers. smile

PS babble ... DAMMIT Had to go to a morning appointment .. left file uploading, come back andddddd of course Windows7 had fricken froze half way through the upload ... sighs. Will have to do it later tonight folks, as connection bandwidth is in use till 7pm, what a PITA! Moral of the story ? Never send windows to do a Linux's job. big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-24 15:28:17)

#8 2013-09-26 18:21:34

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

You asked for it and now ya gonna get it !  ]:D ( hopefully, filefactory is annoying.)

Uploaded ... should be available via the thing going to post further down.

Commentary:

1. This is not an officially endorsed Crunchbang Waldorf iso. Haven't been given the nod by Corenominal ... no public post, no PM. So no outright approval. Same time haven't received anything from Core saying cease and desist. So taking that to mean he doesn't disapprove and thus proceeding as planned.

2. Standard disclaimer, this is opensource + gnu/nix, as such it comes with no warranty, express or implied. If after downloading and using this dorkish iso, your dog bites you, family, friends, gf(s)/bf(s) whatever decide they no longer like you, you get hit by a bus ( even though you looked both ways.) You see a penny and don't pick it up, you see a penny ... pick it up and contract cooties from it. You experience a bad hair day, bed head ... bad breath or other hygiene problems, miss winning the lottery by one or more numbers or your inner child suddenly goes all emo, throws a fit and starts weeping. While cbiz is sorry aboutcha luck ... it's not my problem and I take no responsibility for anything craptastic that befalls you.

3. A noticeable quirk with the crunchbang-lite.iso. You will not be able to use live session, the iso apparently did not appreciate some step of the fiddling or the type of compression format used to squash the squashfs or whatever. However, it installs just fine, which is all I cared about. No live test drive ... install it.

For those of you with access to a Nix or Window$ Virtualbox ... give is a test there, for those who don't either damn the torpedoes or go ahead and install the sucker to harddrive and/or wait till some others report back with their experience installing it in VB-etc. I did ... used my much beloved crusty desktop system and tested it in Virtualbox too. Works fine.

4. Take a few moments to report your experience with the iso, success/failure ... thoughts. Your undying gratitude for all the time and headache I went through to do this junk ! Etc.

5. Check the md5sum of the iso, when it left my pc that was "1b8ee2df9471da48da868023b964db6b" and it needs to match that when it reaches your pc. If not ... DO NOT install it. Have no experience with FileFactory ... but in general, trust online file sharing sites about as far as I can throw em. big_smile

I prefer and use a piece of window$ freeware called ISOworkshop to create iso's, it's never given me a coaster, don't know if it's been ported to gnu/nix. You can find/get it by visiting the freeware section of snapfiles.com and doing a search for it. Though if using something else, the same common sense things you always do when burning an iso apply. Burn at reasonable speed blahblahblah.

What's the 1st thing to do after finishing the install ? I choose to pop open a terminal Super(windows) key + t and did a "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade". Proceeded to just go ahead and reinstall iceweasel, gimp and vlc etc so forth.

Sighs ... without further ado, cross your fingers folks !

Link

Scroll down to bottom, select slow down load. Sheesh FileFactory kinda blows and is already royally pissing me off ! Arghhh !

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-26 18:47:18)

#9 2013-09-26 18:47:12

saneks
#! Die Hard

I selected Slow Download. I also unchecked the "use file factory's download manager" - cause that sounded kinda dodgy to me.
one hour to go..

#10 2013-09-26 18:54:39

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Thanks Saneks ... hoping this isn't a one time download link, had to resort to choosing email link to friend and sent it to one of my emails. FileFactory is not pleasing me so far,  nor living up to the services they claimed they'd provide.

Guess if this link gets canned soon. Probably just post the login creds for the Filefactory acct itself and folks should be able to download easily enough that way ... sighs. Maybe I'm just missing summin too. Should be a way to make files public. The site says as follows ... but I don't see a way to search for file on it either ! Again perhaps am just overlooking it.

Please Note: All files uploaded by free members after 19 September 2013 will automatically become public and searchable in the upcoming FileFactory Search Engine. On 1 October 2013 all files in free accounts regardless of the upload date will become public. If you do not wish for your files to be shared with others, please upgrade to a Premium account.

So pay up or we're making your files public. I want those files made public right now, lol and want them to have a search feature now as well ! Am probably overlooking summin. Supposed to be able to share files and blahblahblah. So far not feeling overwhelmed with FF though.

No doubt plenty of others around though. Have to admit the file sharing involved here was not well thought out on my part, shrugs. Tried Adrive ... but was taking a longggggggg time @ 56k upload. Oh well one way or another folks. Suggestions still welcome too. If somebody wants to point me in a good direction here. Should've went with sourceforge perhaps. Though still don't think that's appropriate as this isn't a new opensource project or anything I developed. smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-26 19:06:15)

#11 2013-09-26 21:57:11

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

This is a good idea, I need saving from Lubuntu!

#12 2013-09-26 22:13:28

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Download link appears to be working good still. Not a one time email download link to friend I feared. Ha ! In your face Filefactory ! Am anxiously awaiting Saneks return atm. Sheesh ... hope he didn't get hit by a bus, that would suk. However if he did, I'm legally covered in the disclaimer posted above. tongue

Saneks !?!?! Report fellow nixer ! Lest I try n send out a search party ! Errrr ... though since I have no idea where you're from. They'd have a helluva time trying to find you. lol

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-26 22:14:22)

#13 2013-09-26 23:50:18

saneks
#! Die Hard

download report: download took same time as a night out, I didnt get hit by buses or cars, bike runs nice as ever, gf did not leave me,   family is fine, /home did not burn down. so probably the download link might be safe.

#14 2013-09-26 23:56:12

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

lol am definitely glad to hear that. End result ? Installed in VB ... or to hard drive ? Success/failure ... proud new owner of Waldorf OS from crunchbang-lite.iso ? Da suspense is killing cbiz !!!! Arghhhh !

Vll! smile

PS, oops .. also md5sum match etc ? Come on fellow nixer ... spill man, spill !?!?!

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-26 23:58:30)

#15 2013-09-27 00:53:22

Naik
#! Die Hard

Hey!

i am going to try this too, but the download took me almost 3 hours so i will sleep a little before giving it a shot tomorrow...

Update: after this horrible download expirience i made a torrent availible on the pirate bay. I hope you don`t mind!
the CD is getting roasted right now and i will try it right afterwarts!

Update2: First attempt failed! The cd just wouldn`t boot at all, but i will give it another go. maybe it was just my mistake...

greetz -naik

Last edited by Naik (2013-09-27 09:16:48)

*kaum macht man es richtig, funktioniert es sofort*

#16 2013-09-27 13:18:02

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Just the normal stuff ... did you check md5sum ... burn with a decent disc util @ reasonable speed-etc. Boots fine for me, installs fine.

Waldorf on dinosaur desktop ... after a bit of tweaking o course. tongue

2013-09-28-074925_1280x1024_scrot.png

Vll! smile

PS, lmao ... it's camouflaged, ya gotta look closely to see it. Since the forums background's the exact same friggin color. big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-27 13:26:04)

#17 2013-09-27 17:47:20

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

CBizgreat! wrote:

lol am definitely glad to hear that. End result ? Installed in VB ... or to hard drive ? Success/failure ... proud new owner of Waldorf OS from crunchbang-lite.iso ? Da suspense is killing cbiz !!!! Arghhhh !

Vll! smile

PS, oops .. also md5sum match etc ? Come on fellow nixer ... spill man, spill !?!?!

Download success, md5 correct.  CD Burnt, Live session works on old Compaq evo N600c but install stalls at Detect and Mount CD-ROM! Grrrrr

#18 2013-09-27 18:21:23

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ bizcuit is aborting this folks.

Have no idea, why it works for me ... isn't for others. Do NOT like wasting fellow nixers/bangers time in downloading such an iso and esp if cd-rw's aren't being used.

Leaves me with nothing to do but apologize folks. Cuz at this point no idea what's happening on x-nixers system. Seen more than a few probs installing #! on hardware threads in the forums. ie: #! boots to black screen or whatever.

ie: For example Waldorf will NOT install on this new laptop, I'd have to do much fiddling to even make it poss.

Works perfectly on crusty P4 single core 512mb/ram pc here. Created via this process. That above screenie is a finished product/install. So clearly iso worked fine for me ... sighs.

That's what was done to create the install iso, worked fine here in both local install and VB, shrugs.

Posted a screenie of finished install above. So ... basically giving up on this @ this pt. Do not wanna be responsible for wasted time or wasted cd's folks ( edit: cuz time is a helluva lot more important than a cd-etc). Install of Waldorf iso went off w/o a hitch for me though.

Afterthought ... occurs to me, if ya want your crunchiness in an install medium @ 700mbs. See nothing wrong with expressing your feelings to Corenominal about it.

cbiz ... vll!

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-27 18:56:56)

#19 2013-09-27 19:49:13

dgz
#! Junkie

edit- read above, nevermind.

Last edited by dgz (2013-09-27 19:53:11)

#20 2013-09-27 20:07:48

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

Woa, CBiz, succesully installed on P4 desktop which only has a CD drive. So can confirm that your iso is good.  Laptop install fail is due to other issues I am sure, perhaps it needs non PAE?

#21 2013-09-27 20:52:33

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Much thanks 2 Dbvolvox,

Was starting to wonder ... 1 report of failure, two reports of faillure was really shaking my faith in this iso. Still not sure why xyz user is coming up short ... errrrr. Though definitely thanks for your input. Guess should re-classify this iso as a might work, might not thing. Mentioned worked well enough in local install n VB for me.

Would like to be able to say works 100%, that is/was the goal of posting this. Do NOT want 2 waste peeps time or cd's if isnt going to consistantly work. Would again say, direct request concerns to Corenominal. Can say the extra 70mbs isn't needed and imo is foolish. Though that's not my place 2 really say. Tried to address it ... some aren't having success with the solution I've tried to offer though.

Vll!

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-27 20:56:47)

#22 2013-09-27 22:12:19

Naik
#! Die Hard

good news from my side too!
I put your image on a thumbdrive and everything (live-session and intallation) went like a charm!
Thanks for this!

obviously i`m just unable to burn an iso image on cd *sight

I have only one question left: Is anybody interested in downloading or seeding the torrent?
Otherwise i would stop seeding...

greetz -naik

#23 2013-09-28 00:08:06

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Definitely @ Naik ( better download route is definitely welcome  ... if it works.. Filefactory clearly suks.)

Otherwise ... not, at this point not sure what to conclude. One person, says failure .. nother says failure, then later says worked and adding your input which concludes success too. Find myself confused n scratching head from feedback. big_smile

Obviously want this downsized iso to work for others, as it worked for me. Though if it's crap want to know it's crap and be able to tell peeps that plainly. Goal was to give people wanting Waldorf and a viable way to install via cd ( 700mb or less) a media to do it. Find meself confused by feedback so far.  Did you download this, burn it to disc ... attempt to install it via disk drive aka: cd ? If so ... what happened ?

bizcuit jumps back to revise OP to add a what this is for, what this is not for clarificatioin.

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-28 01:11:57)

#24 2013-09-28 07:40:02

Naik
#! Die Hard

unfortunatly i was not able to burn it to cd and get it to run from there
but the same occured to the bbqlinux-bloat32.iso, so it clearly was my fault.
and since those were my last 3cdrs i wont give it another try for now, sry!
could you try to downlod the torrent to verify it works, because appearently i can`t  8o

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2013-09-28 12:07:49

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

The download from Piratebay is a no go here too. Gave an .exe file ( executable) for whatever reason. Naik that blows ... hate when that happens, I mean when run out of cds/dvds and want to burn something. Have long since taken to using rewriteable discs here. Discs that are a one time deal piss me off. tongue

Also mentioned Isoworkshop ... I like it, it's free ( snapfiles.com freeware section), fast ... took less than 10 mins to burn cb-lite iso and never given me a coaster yet, shrugs. So if you have access to a window$ OS ... May give that piece of freeware a go. Peeps could also search the repo's, ( or do some googling) am sure there are plenty of disc utils in Nix that'll burn good iso's too.

Barring mistakes ie: using a crappy disc util to burn ( burning iso @ too high a speed), not checking md5/etc ... See no reason why this iso shouldn't work 100% of the time. Well and/or weird exceptions ... ie: Someone already tried the official iso and it didn't work on their system. There's nothing special or extra about this 676mb iso. So if the official #! iso won't install on whichever system, this will not either.

Point of this tardation, was to give folks with only a cd-drive an install option and this cd sized iso worked fine for me. As such ... should work as well for others. Anyway ... good vibes fellow nixers n bangers.

Vll! smile

Oops, PS babble Dbvolvox, have no idea what that's all about fellow nixer. Mentioned Waldorf won't install on this laptop either, in my case it's a hardware issue for sure. Random thought, if you REALLY, REALLY want Waldorf on that lappy. Might try following the how 2 linked above for how I created this iso. Once chrooted ... "apt-get update" then search for available nix kernels "apt-cache search linux-image*", install a new kernel + it's headers into the iso and give that a shot. Haven't tried customizing the iso that way myself, so give no assurances whether it'd work or not ... just sayin.

Or download the official non-pae Waldorf iso and use the how to, to cut it down to size via the process described in the babble how to if needed and/or try PLop perhaps.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2013-09-28 14:17:54)

Board footer