SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#676 2013-06-17 10:26:14

erictronic

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

Switched from Ubuntu (LTS) to #! inside my VirtualBox-VMs, I use as unix/sys-admin workbench. I like the level of comfort (compared to self configured GNU/Debian) and requiremnts (VM has 1Gb RAM, was not enought for Ubuntu but #! uses 30% so far).

Planning to use #! on my HP server (Qc, 32GbRam) as virtualization host (KVM?) for testing VMs. Let's see, if Im getting happy with that.

ahoi,
erictronic

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#677 2013-06-22 13:12:30

grumblz
Website

I've been using #! for years now. The main attraction for me is the speed and overall design. The community is great too, I can almost always find what I'm looking for without even asking (and everyone always seems so courteous)! I don't post much on the forums, but am still using it as my main OS of choice with no plans of ever switching.

#678 2013-06-22 22:11:38

kyrlos

It's fast'lightweight and Debian based.  It also allows me to delve deeper into Terminal commands yikes .  I like the dark gray, black interface.

#679 2013-06-22 23:52:46

pvsage
Internal Affairs

...because "mods are asleep - post ponies" is irrelevant here; I'm a mod, and I post ponies. 8o  Even my avatar is based on a pony fanfic OC.

#680 2013-06-27 17:21:56

rickmetta
Website

First and foremost: CrunchBang is FAST!! It's simple and straightforward, with a super clean user-interface.

I use the Waldorf-Wheezy 32-bit version in conjuntion with Apache HTTP on a 12 year old Dell Dimension 4600 as a server for my own and several of my close friends' websites. I have only praise for this beautiful little OS in this function.

On my primary PC, an Acer AMD Quad-core, I dual-boot the 64-bit version, along with Windows 7.  The only reason for keeping the Windows dual-boot is due to my occational need for Adobe Dreamweaver and Photoshop. I hand-code in Geany and use GIMP for my graphics whenever possible.

I tried out Debian Wheezy on my Acer, and though I love the improvements, reinstalled CrunchBang with the updated core.

Overall...the reason I'm a devout CrunchBanger? It freaking ROCKS!! big_smile

Peace Out

#681 2013-07-06 11:45:23

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

Because other distros simply don't do well with the whole "works out of the box" thing, but Crunchbang does and does it smoothly. Don't be scared of adding your own stuff to the openbox menu, it's really simple once you get the hang of it. Sure new users will be frightened by this "sudden turn of events" as it is foreign to most Windows users, but hey, you learn along the way right? Plus, you've got Google to help you. Google's your friend. And now we've got Duckduckgo too! There's no way you can get stuck and if you get stuck there's always the Crunchbang Community to help you out. I love this Community, it's one of the reasons why I use #!

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#682 2013-07-06 12:43:04

GekkoP
#! Junkie
Website

Because no other distro runs so good on my laptop. It's all fast, light and smooth now, and that's what I needed.

#683 2013-07-06 14:48:12

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

nebulaehair,

I fully agree. There are three distros that I use all the time. Linux Lite, Puppy Linux and Crunchbang. I can't put my finger on it but there is something about Crunchbang that keeps me coming back. The #! forum is, and I feel I must say this, without a doubt the friendliest, most helpful and all around sense of community forum I have ever been a part of. There are still tons of questions I have but for the most part my answers lie within this forum.

I have been a heavy Mac user since 1988. Now I ask myself, why? Why did I spend all those years, all that money of an OS that in my opinion Linux aces? While I was using Macs all those years I always had Linux in the back of my mind. When I switched over to Linux, I wanted nothing to do with the terminal. For me it was archaic and GUI was the way to go. The more I use the terminal, the more it resembles a rose blooming. The beauty of how it is all put together is quite something. I have a book which I recommend every new Linux user pick up. It's called The Linux Command Line by William E' Shotts Jr.

Getting back to Crunchbang, it's a solid distro with a proven team of developers as well as a solid  foundation in Debian. As long as it stays minimalist, I'm happy. I've had it with the GUI stuff when I was using Macs .

smile smile

Last edited by rmcellig (2013-07-06 14:48:35)

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

#684 2013-07-07 03:11:59

Copper0
#! CrunchBanger

Because every distro I've tried installed stuff i do not want. Even gnome-core installs Brasero. I don't even have an optical drive installed! And it can't be remove because it is part of the meta-package. mad

#685 2013-07-09 04:11:05

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

Copper0 wrote:

Because every distro I've tried installed stuff i do not want. Even gnome-core installs Brasero. I don't even have an optical drive installed! And it can't be remove because it is part of the meta-package. mad

I feeel your pain. I hate Brasero with a passion, a better alternative is Xfburn (10,0000 better!).

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

#686 2013-07-09 19:52:25

frankob
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I was already using CrunchBang on my second (older) machine, which I use mostly (but not only) as a music player. It is connected to an amplifier along with a phono. :-)

I was using Ubuntu as the only OS on my main machine, for years. Though, the last version of Ubuntu, 13.04 Raring Ringtail, had quite some issues on my machine. I am not really an expert, but I know my way around GNU/Linux systems, especially if Debian-based. So I found how to fix or work around most of them... except I just couldn't get it to restore from suspend normally. Which is something I really DO use. :-/
So, rather than go back to an older version, I was considering other distros for this machine. After some distro-hopping, just out of curiosity, a week ago I finally decided that CrunchBang is the way to go.

I love the minimalism and most stuff is tweaked quite well. OK, except the touchpad and file sharing, and tweaking them after installation is not really "intuitive"... But as I said, I did find my way around. :-)
So CrunchBang is not something I would recommend to a total beginner. But to an intermediate user, I REALLY would.

And I like the aesthetics, too. :-)

Omnia sunt communia.

#687 2013-07-09 20:18:29

spooky
#! Member
Website

Why do I use Waldorf 64bit?

Well, first things first. It should be either Slack or Deb.
Both options are - rock solid, stonehenge alike.
If You know how to speak with them.

1 .Stable Wheezy as 'rootcore' is a story that EVERY webdeveloper or just IT developer should have placed on it's hard drive as primary tool for -do the daily job and stay relaxed...  cool

2. A little bit more polished and squeezed wheezy with 'kilobyte heavy' box manager for the on-screen output is - perfection.

What else should I say? smile

You can't make a baby for one month by making 9 women pregnant.

#688 2013-07-10 07:02:15

martha

too old to perform minimal installations and configure everything from scratch smile

#689 2013-07-14 21:22:16

BunnyStomp

It's fast, it's easily modified and Openbox is sleek and sexy in a minimalistic way.  Elegant and straightforward. 

If crunchbang's looks where personified, it would be someone with a damn good figure and a snappy simple, but elegant outfit. Like a elegant woman in a nice sleek black dress, or a good strong lad in a fitted black suit.

So classy. So sexy.

Last edited by BunnyStomp (2013-07-14 21:23:00)

#690 2013-07-17 04:25:11

yabanjin
Website

I got into Linux years ago when I had cheap, low powered hardware, so I could learn about computing on a shoestring. I went from distro to distro, for whatever worked for me at the time - for several years I stuck with Zenwalk, a Slackware derivative, because to me, Linux was meant to be quick and to the point.

After starting a family, during which time I just nursed along a Xubuntu VM, I started looking a few months ago to get back into Linux. Zenwalk seemed to have drifted off a little, I couldn't get on with *buntu to be honest,  though I did set up an old netbook for my daughter with Mint (she *loves* Tuxpaint, TuxMath and all that, and that runs so much better on Linux).

Somehow I found CrunchBang during a weekly stop at DistroWatch, and was actually intrigued that it was from the UK, and that one of the main people was actually from just down the road from my home town. I appreciate these facts have nothing to do with the quality of a distro, but it piqued my interest to at least try it. Of course, after running #! for about 6 weeks, it feels like home now, it feels like Linux used to feel, and it's pretty much my main OS now (I need Windows for games, and my work) especially the writing I do.

CrunchBang on:
Samsung N145Plus netbook (Atom HT, 2GB RAM, 60GB SSD)
Virtualbox, 4GB RAM

#691 2013-07-18 05:01:42

mini9

After Windows'98, when the Windows OS 'upgrades' started getting bloated, I noticed my digital-efficacy as inversely proportional to this phenomenon.  Now I utilize #!.

I will probably reply to this with #! points.

#692 2013-07-20 16:42:33

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

I started with Ubuntu 9.10 at the end of 2009. At the time, I had an Acer Aspire 5000, that came with Windows XP. That computer struggled so bad to even function with XP, that, when I was about to throw it in the garbage, I decided to switch to Ubuntu as a last resort. From then on, I started a 4 year long love affair with it.
I love efficiency and cleanliness over everything else, so 9.10 gave me everything I wanted from an OS. Then, Unity came along, and Ubuntu started to get fat. With time, however, I started to appreciate some of Unity's features, but the overall experience still suffered.
Then, 3 weeks ago, I got a new Acer Aspire 5733-6800, that came preloaded with meego. But Sector11 had already suggested I try #!, so I did, and never looked back. As far as I'm concerned, Crunchbang is what Linux is all about.

Last edited by Inodoro Pereyra (2013-07-20 16:58:12)

#693 2013-08-01 04:05:14

Akari_Mizunashi

Nevermind

Last edited by Akari_Mizunashi (2013-08-02 01:19:24)

#694 2013-08-05 00:08:05

eldenf
Website

rickmetta wrote:

...Overall...the reason I'm a devout CrunchBanger? It freaking ROCKS!! big_smile

I totally agree. I've played with a lot of distributions over the last couple of weeks. Installed CrunchBang a few days ago. It's pretty much all of what I want, and none of the stuff I don't. Lean, mean and efficient!

With so many operating systems, the first thing I do after an install is start removing all the stuff I don't want. Not necessary with CrunchBang. Sweet!

#695 2013-08-05 03:35:02

Bularthip

I'm not much of an Linux user since I'm most likely either too stupid to mess the OS up eventually, or they simply just does not work for me.

Couple of days ago, quite recently I bought an 15€ used slightly older laptop from a friend of mine since it was fully functional yet my friend had no use for it. Frankly, neither do I but everyone should own at least one elder laptop.
Now, for the couple of last days after the purchase I have been mildly sad about the laptop that actually is old and, well, being old is nearly always being slow. This one was quite slow. With 1 core CPU, 1GB RAM and so far quite low HDD, any other Linux distribution I have ever tried on before did not work smoothly.

Happily, last night I could not get any sleep, for some reason I "rapidly hit my head to the keyboard while googling" and suddenly found CrunchBang. Well, no need to take more than a second and I was already downloading it.

Now I've installed it on my laptop. Works all fine, smooth and stuff. I like it looking simple, yet it is powerful. Because of that, for some reason I got excited and didn't quite get any sleep afterwards either, so now I'm off to work with barely two hour sleep and the excitement of #!.

Might even install it on my main desktop PC and replace Win7, no? Dun dun du... Anyway, the point was it was simple to install and configure, fast and beautiful and it really did resurrect my 15€ superlaptop.

Last edited by Bularthip (2013-08-05 03:39:54)

#696 2013-08-05 20:53:43

delphys

Yeah so I roamed the distro land for a while ..
Tried Liquorix and Sid .. and things were breaking .. like conky ..
Tried openbsd 5.3 .. great for PF & Server duties but its xfce is not ready for primetime, sadly ..

So I came back to !# and pretty much rock solid & as fast as Sid, et al ..

So when is Janice coming out ?? :-)

Cheers & Thank you Gang !!

#697 2013-08-20 13:55:33

tamikan
#! Die Hard

Because I always go back to my true love. I've tried Mint, ArchBang, Manjaro, Puppy but there's something addictive about #! Everything's done right OOB. I'm glad to see it's soon going to be in the top 10 in distrowatch because this is my #1 distro!!!  big_smile

Top things ]:D
dwb | Firefox Nightly | sakura | emacs | moc | #! | Arch | Doing 1 thing @ the time | Music from the 90s

#698 2013-08-20 15:56:29

rmcellig
#! Die Hard
Website

tamikan,

I'm like you. I tried most of the distros you mentioned. I have #! on three of my computers but I was wondering what exactly it is about #! that you like.

Cheers Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show Sundays  noon-2pm EST or 89.1 fM

#699 2013-08-23 12:50:03

Resident Bot
#! Die Hard

Wouldn't it also be good to have a "Why don't you use #!Crunchbang" thread, could get some useful info.

Troll = not a fanatic
slave of #!  and arch

Be excellent to each other!

#700 2013-08-29 02:21:56

demifiend
#! Member
Website

I've been using one sort of *nix or another since 1999, starting with Red Hat 5.2. I even tried some of the BSDs. Between 2006 and 2012, I used a Mac. After that, I bought a System76 laptop running Ubuntu, and alternated between Ubuntu and Linux Mint. However, neither distro felt quite right. It felt like too much of what I didn't want or need, and not quite enough of what I did.

Crunchbang, however, sounds like it could be what I need -- even if I have to futz with it a bit. smile

"I defenestrate people for quoting Nietzsche at dinner." --Tamara Gellion

You can also find me on...
GitHub | Google+ | matthewgraybosch.com | starbreakerseries.com

Board footer