SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-24 04:37:10

MekkaGodzilla

Some suggestions: keyboard layouts, shortcuts, and repos

Hi there,
Just installed waldorf on my main PC, and I used statlers for years on several computers.
I short, I love it, I think it is a great set up, but there are minor improvements that would make it even better, at least for people like me.

1- Keyboard layouts options at install

I use a variant of the fr layout that is very very different from the default fr layout (azerty, close to qwerty).
I cannot select my layout during the install. This means I need to plug a qwerty or azerty labelled keyboard I have somewhere, and after the install, I have to run

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration && sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

to have my keyboard layout in X and the ttys.

This comes from the debian installer, and I know how to work around that, but it was needlessly frustrating when I didn't know this fix. Ubuntu's installer lets me pick my layout during the install. There are several threads in the forums about people looking for a solution to this very problem.

2- Apt mirrors

During the install, apt repositories are set to the default debian repos.
I can only get 100kB/s from them, when the mirrors close to me give me 1300kB/s.
This means the first upgrade, done during the cb-welcome script was painfully slow, and a first time debian user might not know how to set his/her sources to a closer mirror.
This is fixed in the debian default installer, that lets you pick a mirror based on your locale.

3- Better keyboard shortcuts

I launch apps using dmenu or gmrun. They are both great features of default #!
But, Alt+F2 and Alt+F3 are pretty poor choices because to execute them, you need to place you left hand way out of the home row of the keyboard, and immediately after that you have to type. A keyboard shortcut like Super+Space is much better at this.

Hope these are useful suggestions.
Regards,

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2013-05-24 05:21:38

DebianJoe
#! Code Whisperer
Website

Re: Some suggestions: keyboard layouts, shortcuts, and repos

MekkaGodzilla wrote:

3- Better keyboard shortcuts
A keyboard shortcut like Super+Space is much better at this.

You assume everyone has a "super" key.  The option to remap yo hotkeys is a valid answer for this issue for people who don't like Alt (meta)^whatever combos, or use them for other applications who use the same keybinds.

#3 2013-06-01 20:22:00

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

Hi MekkaGodzilla, how is it going? You have some good ideas here, they should be mentioned here smile

1] during the live session, there is a keyboard layout switcher app in the tray, it has a fr layout, azerty. Perhaps it helps a little?

I missed that the first few times as well, it bamboozled me why my pipe and backslash keys typed the wrong!

2] I second the motion to choose mirrors based on region - lately the default mirrors are unreachable to me.

3] Super+Space is the default to show the main menu. I find Super+d for dmenu is much easier, no need for gmrun really (as you can tab-complete and enter parameters in dmenu too).

#4 2013-06-02 06:29:29

MekkaGodzilla

Hi, I’m doing good, and really enjoying #!

1) the fr layout is of no help actually. I use a variant called fr bepo, that has almost no key in common with fr. It's a layout designed using the same method Dvorak used to design his layout, but applied to the French language.
Here you can see the fr and the bepo layout in one image: fr and fr bepo layouts
(the percentages show how often you are using each row and each hand when typing in French on these 2 layouts, azerty is the one 99.99% of people use).

3) Super+D for d-menu is good, even though I kept it for show desktop. Super+Space was only a suggestion, all I’m saying is that alt+F2 or alt+F3 are hard to reach without leaving the home row on the keyboard.

Last edited by MekkaGodzilla (2013-06-02 06:32:21)

Board footer