SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-15 21:20:37

red devil
#! CrunchBanger
Website

CrunchBang on my Dell Latitude X1 laptop

After a few very happy, satisfying days of using CrunchBang on my desktop machine, I decided to install it on my Dell Latitude X1 laptop.
The X1 is a tiny laptop from back in the days when netbooks were a twinkle in someone's eye - it has a lovely 12inch screen (1280x800 res, I think), an Intel Centrino 1.1GHz processor with Intel 950 onboard graphics, HDA sound, an external CDRW/DVD and a modest 512MB of RAM.
It has pretty much always been a Windows XP machine, with the odd Linux distro sharing disk space temporarily here and there, but with Crunchbang now sharing an equal half of the 30GB HDD I think I have found the perfect combination.
The Intel/PRO wi-fi was automatically detected - all I needed to get online at home was my encryption key.
My screen resolution is perfect - this has caused many problems in the past but CrunchBang got it right first time.
I'm really impressed at the speed of CB, too - it's way faster than the XP Pro install its sharing the drive with.
The only things I haven't yet tried are the built-in Bluetooth (there isn't usually a problem with this and Ubuntu), some of the shortcut function keys and Suspend/Resume - I'll get to checking all those when I get home from work later tonight.
Otherwise, I'm delighted with this laptop/distro combination and just wanted to say a big thank you to Philip and everyone else who's contributing to CrunchBang.
Cheers! big_smile

--------------------------------------------------
I wonder what happens if I click on this..?
Registered Linux User No. 382639
Identi.ca   Twitter   The Red Devil blog

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2008-12-16 07:05:09

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Re: CrunchBang on my Dell Latitude X1 laptop

I have just looked up the Dell Latitude X1, it looks like a nifty piece of kit. I would not mind one myself! big_smile Anyhow, I am glad CrunchBang is performing well for you and the X1. Thank you for the review.

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

#3 2008-12-16 09:33:49

Nik_Doof
#! Junkie
Website

The Dell Mini 12 is the natural successor to the X1, while it doesn't have the "corporate feature" of TPM (Ha!) It does everything the X1 does.

It's a shame that anything below 13" seems to of been pushed back into the "toy" section by most companies. My 12" Powerbook was a workhorse in it's heyday.

#4 2008-12-16 10:02:26

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Nik_Doof wrote:

It's a shame that anything below 13" seems to of been pushed back into the "toy" section by most companies. My 12" Powerbook was a workhorse in it's heyday.

I guess it is the novelty factor? I know small form factor machines have been available for a while and they are perfectly competent pieces of kit, but I figure they are a relatively new phenomena to some. Hopefully that will change as their popularity increases and people start to consider replacing their existing notebooks.

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

Board footer