SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-30 20:27:01

bodis

[SOLVED] Few questions from a newbie

Hi everyone. I am new to #! - 3 days. Used ubuntu for a year now but obviously after Unity it was time to hunt. And god aint I happy I found this...

So after 3 days of playing I have a few dumb questions. I had a bunch more but forums here are bloody good, so I have only few left for this moment:

BTW, I am using Statler 64 bit XFCE. Most likely most of you will tell me to go Openbox, but I tried xfce and quite like it...

1. I have a HP laptop with FN key (I hate it). Most of the NIX distros for whatever reason boot in very dim. So I hit the brightness button (F3) few times to max out the light... until next reboot. And its back to dimness again. Obviously this is not a killer and I dont mind doing this on reboot, just wondered if there is a quick fix.

2. I have seen a dock bar on few screenshots of some of the setups that looks quite smart. I tried setting up wbar but failed miserably. What do you guys use for this? Again I am not too fussed to get it, just another eye candy if its easily done.

3. "Places" menu... is there a way to get this or build this? I noticed that it is available in a side menu when you try to choose a path of program for launcher. This is something that I quite liked from ubuntu days as I have a few partitions on my HDD including NTFS and I would like to access them. At this point I cannot see any partitions apart from #! ones.

4. Broadcom bc43 wireless drivers... Why is life so complicated with those... Anyway, is there an easy way to get a fix on those? I have tried to follow an article from these forums that involved building drivers from source... that was the part where I got the error message... Well, this one is not the most important one, I have ordered myself a cable to overcome this problem.

Right I think its enough for this time, I have written too much already.

Thanks for the help.

Regards
bodis

Last edited by bodis (2011-05-02 08:34:42)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-04-30 20:42:08

ali
#! Die Hard

Re: [SOLVED] Few questions from a newbie

bodis wrote:

2. I have seen a dock bar on few screenshots of some of the setups that looks quite smart. I tried setting up wbar but failed miserably. What do you guys use for this? Again I am not too fussed to get it, just another eye candy if its easily done.

i don't remember clearly but i remember trying one of those fancy bars at one point in my life, it wasn't worth it, i dropped it in like less than 1 week

from this post it appears i was running awn but i'm not sure

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/106585/#p106585

#3 2011-04-30 20:43:55

bobrossw
#! Die Hard

welcome!  I think I can get you started with your places menu, check out the pipe-menus section of the openbox wiki
http://openbox.org/wiki/Openbox:Pipemen … ntegration

from that site:

dir-menu Directory structure menu with simple file handling.

seems like what you'd want.

as ali mentioned, awn is nice looking and easy to set up, as is cairo dock.  These require compositing, which you can enable by uncommenting a line from your ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh file
there are two lines in there for compositing managers (cairo and xcomp) uncomment one of them and it will enable it on start up.  You can also enable/disable them manually from the menu.

Last edited by bobrossw (2011-04-30 20:46:47)

#4 2011-04-30 20:51:52

bodis

@ali: thanks I think I will take your advise and dump the idea smile trying to get wbar to work was hard enough.

@bobrossw: Thanks for the link. Next question - that is for openbox - will it work for XFCE? and if it does... what do I do with all the code in there?

Sorry, ubuntu was sort of for the dumb distro, need to learn few tricks here smile

Also, where are the programs located? If I want to add mail client to my panel, add launcher.... and where do I point that to?

Thanks

#5 2011-04-30 20:55:07

anonymous
The Mystery Member

2. I would normally recommend Adeskbar however the site is down so its kinda hard to find a download for it.

3. I think the Openbox version of Statler has a places menu. If not, you can use this pipemenu made by johnraff:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … pipe-menu/

#6 2011-04-30 21:19:47

pvsage
Internal Affairs

1.  First, install xbacklight from the repos.  Then add this to your autostart script:

xbacklight -set 100

(assuming 100% brightness is what you really want...)

I'm glad other people are answering your other questions, because I haven't a clue.

#7 2011-04-30 22:39:32

busprof
#! Member

Hi @bodis

Well, thankfully, you've got a lot of help on what I consider the tougher questions - so let me dive in on mounting your Window$ partition.

First, you need to know exactly which partition Windows is on.  Probably the easiest way to find out (unless you already know for sure) is to open Gparted and let it scan your HDD (you're just going to let it scan - don't do anything but observe).  Look for the largest NTFS partition and make a note of  the partition label.  It's probably sda1 or sda2.  There may be (probably are) two NTFS partitions.  The smaller is most likely the "recovery" partition installed by your laptop maker.  You want the larger designation.

Next, open a terminal and create a folder in /mnt to receive the Windows share once it's mounted.  You can name it anything you want.  You do this by:
cd /mnt
sudo mkdir /mnt/<your_choice_of_name_here>

Now, open /etc/fstab as root in your editor.  Mine is gedit - and I do this by:
gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

Then, enter the following lines AT THE END of your fstab file:
#mount Windows partition to /mnt/<your_choice_of_name_here>
/dev/sdax    /mnt/<your_choice_of_name_here>    ntfs-3g    uid=<username>,gid=<username>,umask=0022    0 0

Replace "sdax" with the actual partition identification you noted in Gparted, and add your username for both the uid and gid designations.  (NOTE:  You may be able to omit the uid and gid - I have never tried it without them, though, and I think it's good practice to include them).

Hope this helps.
-
EDIT:  You'll either have to reboot or run "sudo mount -a" from a terminal for the Windows share to actually mount.  You then need to open your filemanager and find "/mnt/<whateveryounamedtheshare>".  In Thunar, you can drag the share to the left sidebar and create a "shortcut" to the share if you want - I don't bother normally.

Last edited by busprof (2011-05-01 00:00:38)

#8 2011-05-01 10:12:24

bodis

Thanks for the answers, that pretty much gave me all the info I need.

@pvsage: I have installed the backlight and it works a treat, I am struggling to get it to work from the autostart tho. what I have done is create a file autostart.local with the following contents:

#!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          myscripts
# Required-Start:    
# Required-Stop:     
# Should-Start:     
# Default-Start:     
# Default-Stop:      
# Short-Description: 
# Description:
### END INIT INFO
xbacklight -set 100

the I ran
sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/local.autostart
sudo update-rc.d local.autostart defaults 80  <-- I got this from a guide, dont know what exactly it does.

I have inserted the unit info because it was giving me error message when I only had bin/sh line and backlight line.

so now update-rc command worked and said that start times will be 2 3 4 5 and 0 1 6. However the script still seems not to autostart at the start.

Any suggestions?

Also do you all guys prefer xfce edition or openbox?

Thanks again
bodis

#9 2011-05-01 19:12:08

bodis

Hey everyone, right, I have just reinstalled #! openbox version... NICE

One quick glitch...

xbacklight was available from xfce version straight from synaptic, however now synaptic does not show it anymore. I thought both versions have the same repos included or is it me doing something silly?

Regards
bodis

#10 2011-05-01 19:13:56

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Try doing a "sudo apt-get update" first then install xbacklight.

#11 2011-05-01 21:21:41

bodis

anonymous wrote:

Try doing a "sudo apt-get update" first then install xbacklight.

Thanks thats done it, altho I could swear I have done it the first time...

Anyway... sorted

Thanks smile

#12 2011-05-01 21:24:01

bodis

How do I add [SOLVED] tag on the thread?

#13 2011-05-01 21:27:20

anonymous
The Mystery Member

You can edit your first post and change the title.

#14 2011-05-01 21:37:04

benhee

Hi bodis,

I set up  wbar  on a laptop ( for my not so computer savvy wife ) #! statler ob.
I think installing  wbarconf  made it easy,  & adding something like...

(sleep 6s && wbar -pos center -isize 40 idist 10) &

to the end of the autostart.sh file enabled it on start up.
It works OK as my wife mainly only wants to access a few things, web, email, music, pics.
The only problem is I think If you're not too familiar with linux,  changing the default font is not obvious.
Give it another try It might be worth it.

Mr Hee

#15 2011-05-02 08:34:18

bodis

Thanks for advise guys, I will try the bit with the wbar again maybe however I am getting used to openbox pretty rapid and shortcuts are becoming the first choice now. Might not need the visual bit anymore smile

bodis

Board footer