SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-17 00:13:31

luvva_cuppa
#! CrunchBanger

Enabling soundfile playback in browser rather than mplayer vlc etc.

Have had no luck googling this question.
I would like to open sound files directly in the browser of choice (opera, chromium or konqueror) rather than in an associated application vlc, mplayer. I have the full array of plugins installed (geckomedia-plugin etc). I have looked at browser options but have come up with nothing so far. I seem to remember opening sound files on a dictionary site within opera on my netbook so i must be missing something. It is extremely inconvenient constantly opening and closing a media application when dealing with lots of short sound files, hence my question.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-03-17 00:38:43

gareim
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Enabling soundfile playback in browser rather than mplayer vlc etc.

That's really weird. I'm using Chromium and it opens sound files in the browser, and I'm sure Chrome should be the same. I didn't do anything special to get it like that.

#3 2011-03-17 14:13:46

luvva_cuppa
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Enabling soundfile playback in browser rather than mplayer vlc etc.

ignorance on my part. I should have suspected. Some sites have an embedded mp3, ogg or wav player in the page therefore the browser will not need to open a separate page to play the files. A simple link to a sound file will on the other hands require the browser to open the file in a media player. Makes sense.
Now I just have to work out why opera won't open these files in mplayer or the vlc plugin etc. I am getting an error message about one of my plugins. Perhaps a reinstall of plugins might be in order!

Board footer