SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-21 17:27:55

kBang
#! Die Hard

Rounding up the herd

I am sure I am not alone in proclaiming the two best things about #! being the distro itself and the community it has generated.  Thanks to Philip for this enjoyable personal "taste" of his concept of a good OS environment.

It is my opinion the sooner interested parties find the forums, the sooner they feel comfortable installing and using #!.  To this end I would like to make a suggestion; posting a link to the Forum every where possible (that it won't lead to distraction) is a good idea.

If you google Crunchbang there are 2 links that are most obvious as good choices to start.   Crunchbanglinux.org and Crunchbang.org.  The former does have links to recent forum posts, but no link to the top of the forum.  The second site is more of Philip's blog on #!, and the right side has quite a few links relevant to #!, but it lacks a Forum link.

Last edited by kBang (2009-01-21 17:29:07)

I view KDE like I view snow. It looks fun and marvelous, it's fun to play in, but after a while I just want someone to take it all away.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-01-21 17:35:20

ZeroTruths
#! Junkie

Re: Rounding up the herd

Yes, I like the community that #! has generated. Unlike Ubutnu's community, #! has a small town feel, where most people know most people, unlike ubuntuforums, where it's like a city.
I'll definitely see where I can post links so that this community can continue growing.

All in an effort to learn...
Delves deeper into code...

#3 2009-01-21 18:56:22

Aughban
#! Member
Website

rather than spam the link everywhere why not just stick the link to the forums in your signatures on any given forum and when you post useful and constructive posts on forums other users will take notice and have a look.

From the front page of crunchbanglinux.org you do need to go to the wiki to get to the forums (unless you look at the recent forums posts section at the bottom) so maybe another banner for "visit our forums" should be added. Crunchbang has gotten pretty good press, its been mentioned in a few popular podcasts and i know i've recommended it to alot of my friends (and i imagine alot of you have as well) but yeah... i don't think we need to spam the link in forums to get peoples attention and alot of forums don't appricate people trying to plug links like that either :s.

#4 2009-01-21 19:04:32

kBang
#! Die Hard

Actually I didn't mean to imply spamming the link.  The issue came up when switching to/from Windows on the same machine.  I don't have Crunchbang sites bookmarked, I prefer to use a speed dial addon for my favorite sites, thus I wouldn't have the link.  So I would google and get the 2 primary links I mentioned, neither of which lead to the top of the Crunchbang forums.

My topic really was about making it easier to find the forums within the Crunchbang links I mentioned.

The links Crunchbanglinux.org and Crunchbang.org, while informative about the distribution, don't have the ability to help new users with the oddities most of us experience when installing a different distribution.  Most of those oddities are covered in the Help section, great ideas in the Tips section, etc.  Finding the forums early, or even navigating to them before installing, in my mind at least, would be the optimum situation for potential new users.

Last edited by kBang (2009-01-21 19:08:49)

I view KDE like I view snow. It looks fun and marvelous, it's fun to play in, but after a while I just want someone to take it all away.

#5 2009-01-21 19:04:53

dannytatom
#! CrunchBanger

ZeroTruths wrote:

unlike ubuntuforums, where it's like a city.

Or a galaxy. ;o

.files
dnyy in IRC & Urban Terror

#6 2009-01-21 20:32:07

corenominal
WRONG
Website

kBang wrote:

The links Crunchbanglinux.org and Crunchbang.org, while informative about the distribution, don't have the ability to help new users with the oddities most of us experience when installing a different distribution.  Most of those oddities are covered in the Help section, great ideas in the Tips section, etc.  Finding the forums early, or even navigating to them before installing, in my mind at least, would be the optimum situation for potential new users.

Thanks for the suggestions kBang, I will put some thought into how best to make more of a feature out of the forum links. For what it is worth, I am planning on migrating my crunchbang.org domain to corenominal.org -- hopefully this will help to eliminate any potential confusion over the domains.

Ex-developer of #! CrunchBang. Follow me on Twitter smile

Board footer