SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-13 12:31:17

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

use TV as monitor vs watch tv on computer

I am moving to a new place, this means that it seems the right time to buy a computer.
I was not planning to buy a TV, I actually sold our TV set before moving
for the 2-3 programmes I watch on TV I was more thinking of having a TV tuner for my computer and watch TV in the monitor.
But recently I have been experimenting on a TV used as a monitor and I must say it worked pretty well.

Can someone shed some light on what are the technical pros and cons of both?

Thanks

michele

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-10-13 13:18:00

benj1
Wiki Wizard

Re: use TV as monitor vs watch tv on computer

monitors used to have higher resolution im not sure about HD tvs

having a tv tuner would give you more flexibility, you could have your programme in a window, with other things running, also you could use it to record tv

- - - - - - - - Wiki Pages - - - - - - -
#! install guide           *autostart programs, modify the menu & keybindings
configuring Conky       *installing scripts

#3 2009-10-13 14:01:59

anonymous
The Mystery Member

A con for TV as monitor would be the smaller resolution.

And for using a tv tuner you would have to find a linux compatible TV tuner and also the quality is not the same IMO.

#4 2009-10-13 14:04:42

iggykoopa
Script Master

as long as you're using a high def tv there isn't going to be all that much difference anymore. My media server is hooked up to my tv and I use it as a regular computer from time to time. Just be wary if your planning to buy a new tv, I've had a lot of issues with tv's at 1366×768 resolution, they never seem to want to work right.

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#5 2009-10-13 14:31:29

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

Thanks guys,
I really appreciate your help,

the TV as monitor seems tempting, but as Iggykoopa and Anonymous say, I am a bit worried about resolution.
I am also under the impression that comparing size by size Tv and Monitor, TV's are still a bit more pricy, and money is always an issue big_smile

On the other hand, using the monitor as a TV will require some more tweaking, but that's fun...
(only problem I noticed with using the monitor as a Tv was that sometimes the fan got really noise disturbing the TV experience...but this is another issue...)

Thanks

m

#6 2009-10-16 16:07:35

jotapesse
#! Junkie

You may consider buying one of the new lcd monitor/tv all-in-one (buit-in dtv/tv tuner), such as the ones made by samsung or lg. They typically are available on 22" to 24" sizes and work as well as monitors (1920x1080 native resolution) as full hd tvs. I have one of those samsung 2333hd and I'm quite happy!

On an ASRock VisionX 321B, Asus EeeBoxPC 1501P and EeePC 1000H with Debian Sid/Experimental Xfce 4.10 Linux
Outdated How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Apps and Plugins

#7 2009-10-19 15:00:33

alexthegreat

umm, the dpi is usually higher on moniters, that is all

#8 2009-10-20 05:09:40

mick
#! CrunchBanger

I always disliked the way my monitor (1440x900) displayed the output from my TV card. But I just bought a tiny little 15" IBM monitor - the type used on electronic POS - and have dedicated the second display for the TV. The output is great and I couldn't beat the price; $89CDN.

Linux - because a PC is a terrible thing to waste...

#9 2009-10-20 16:04:23

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

Hi Guys,

I would have liked to post something like "I bought this new fancy TV" or "how cool is my new monitor", but instead I realised how broke I am... I guess I didn't understand that when the bricklayer spoke about a 2 days work he actually meant 2 weeks...

I will update you as soon as possible, and just to add another unknown in the equation... I am also kind of tempted by a beam projector instead of TV/Monitor

thanks

M

#10 2009-10-20 16:08:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

A projector?! hmm I thought you said you were broke!

#11 2009-10-20 16:15:49

mcarni
#! CrunchBanger

i was under the impression they were getting cheaper....
and anyway I know I am not going to buy anything for a while, I wanted dream a bit...

M

#12 2009-10-25 19:51:00

Kyte
#! Junkie

I've got a big LCD t.v. and run a Win/Linux computer through it.  I've done wordprocessing etc. and it works ok, but sitting about 11 feet away, my eyes feel "strained" after doing a lot of work.  I think it has something to do with scanning of the eye(back and forth movements) and the interpupillary distance. 
The fonts are "fluffier" because of the lower res, but readable as 12 point. 
Usually, I kick the font size up to 14 or 16.
Games, however, run fine on it, but I tend to older ones, whether they are Win or Linux.
The real convenience is not having to sit at a desk.
A normal MS or Logitec wireless mouse and keyboard work fine at that range, I've tried other much more exotic mice etc, but the Logitec and MS work fine.
I use one of those "buy it now for 19 bucks from cable" tables that has legs that sit under the chair or couch, and height is fine, but to have room for doing paperwork and the mouse, or keyboard, I've got a thin piece of plywood that is about a foot wider than the desk thing so as to have room for paperwork and the mouse operating space.
I've also hooked up a laptop but the resolution wasn't as good as with a high end video card in a tower.

Kyte: Always flittin' around with his head in the clouds!

Board footer