SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-03 15:40:20

peter

crunchbang linux no sound

as a newcomer to Linux I do not understand any commands or unix or linux programing . I will try hard to learn. my problem is I have loaded Crunch bang Linux on to a spare 20GB hard drive which is mounted within a plug in cradle. it is configured as Master, everything has loaded to this previously blank drive, (RAW). There is no other operating system on the drive. Crunch bang works perfectly! BUT I do not have any sound! The mother board is a Fox com and is fitted with SIS chips for sound.(The sound Works perfect with WIN X P HOME on a separate plug in drive). The message I am getting is as follows:- Selecting Volume control = ERROR "No volume control "G Streamer plug ins" and/or devices found", GStreamer0.10-plugins-ugly w32codecs libdvdcss2 have installed, and appear in the installed list as green squares OK, Then I select Sound Recorder + Error message= Your audio capture settings are invalid Please correct them with"Sound Preferences" under the system system-preferences menu.  The problem !! there is no such line to be found as " sound preferences" in "System"   So I am completely stupid or is there anyone to advise me what to do? i HAVE LOOKED IN VAIN FOR ANYTHING THAT MAY HELP. One interesting fact  When I first tried Crunch bang Linux it was loaded alongside windows XP Home and the dual boot worked fine, Sound also worked perfectly! The preferred sound system for SIS Chips is "ALSA" do I need to change libdvdcss to libdvdalsa? As I do not have any knowledge of programing I am totally out of my depth. Peter A Johnson.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-09-03 16:53:55

melltuga

Re: crunchbang linux no sound

Hi,

try the following:

right click => system => services/daemons => unlock (enter your password) => and activate "audio settings management".

solved the problem for me smile

bye,

mT

Edit: If you still have no sound, open the terminal and type alsamixer (or maybe sudo alsamixer). The following channels should not be muted:

- master
- headphone
- pcm
- front

When there are two "m" at the bottom, the channel is muted. Unmute it by pressing "m" smile

Last edited by melltuga (2009-09-03 17:16:22)

#3 2009-09-04 10:32:33

peter

First Thank you Melltuga, I have tried your sugestions but still no sound... In Terminal I used "sudo apt-get install alsa mixer" reply= E: couldn't find package alsamixer   sudo apt-get install snd_ctl_open   reply+ E: couldn't find package snd_ctl_open..... Audio settings manager is activated and Start set for all -1,  0, 50. in the boxes. Still no sound.   It seems to me that there is no relationship to the audio SIS CHIP on my Foxcon motherboard. the alsa package is present and indicated by green squares for all alsa packages in the pakage manager. libdvdcss2 is also with a green square, and VLC player plays encripted DVD's without sound. so why does the terminal not see alsamixer? thankyou in anticipation Peter.

#4 2009-09-04 10:52:24

peter

Melltuga Hi , have just found gnome-alsamixer was not installed. So I have installed it with package manager, rebooted still NO sound. Error message still reads No Volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found

#5 2009-09-04 11:21:23

melltuga

Since I'm a beginner myself, I have no idea what could cause the problem ... I'm sorry ...

BUT

I didn't say "sudo apt-get install alsa mixer"; i just said you should type in the following:

"sudo alsamixer"

The Alsamixer has nothing to do with the gnome-alsamixer (well ... i guess big_smile ). The Alsamixer should already be installed, after installing crunchbang.

So just type "sudo alsamixer" in your terminal ... if this isn't working, I don't know anything else ... hopefully someone else can help you smile

#6 2009-09-04 13:45:24

anonymous
The Mystery Member

#7 2009-09-05 06:55:13

zeltak

#8 2009-09-05 07:40:34

hemu

Last edited by hemu (2009-09-05 07:48:01)

#9 2009-09-05 08:33:12

zeltak

thx hmenu

the pulse audio upgrade did fix the muted sound on startup but i am still have no sound..its very strange..the hardware works (tested on kubuntu which i dual boot), i can see the mixer which shows the alsacard..all channels are max but no sound...any other tips i can try?

thx

Zeltak

#10 2009-09-05 18:16:03

hemu

Last edited by hemu (2009-09-05 18:18:27)

#11 2009-09-07 20:28:04

peter

CrashBang Linux Success I now have sound working on all fronts. This is due to perseverance! having made absolutely sure that the alsa-base and all alsa aps were loaded and confirmed I still had no sound so I tried "oplay --help" in the terminal, this told me four items were disabled so I got to thinking lets try" sudo apt-get install snd" this did find a load of files and installed them. then I exit terminal. click on volume control and there it was!!!click on sound recorder Yes its there for all to see!! so people make sure you have alsa-base installed complete with all alsa bits, and sudo apt-get update gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly w32codecs libdvdcss2. Pulse audio does not work with SIS S17012 on my machine!and I do not use Ubuntu 9.04 for this reason.  CrashBang Linux also works my web cam very well Ubuntu does not. The ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? was very helpfull navigating through the commands right up to the place"oplay -1" command. Thank you,Thanks to all who helped me with the many stories and suggestions I hope my results will help others.

#12 2009-09-07 20:34:42

peter

Melltuga thank you for your help it gave me the courage to press on regardless and the problem is solved.

#13 2009-09-09 19:47:43

peter

To Zeltak and Hemu, use "sudo apt get install snd" in terminal. providing you have alsa-base loaded or alternative sound systems loaded. Peter.

#14 2009-09-09 20:02:16

peter

To Zeltak and Hemu, do you have on board sound or a separate  PCI/PCI express card? It could be that the codecs to drive the plug in cards are not present. If you have onboard motherboard sound the alsa-base will have the codecs in the base package(all alsa aps are required).  Pulse audio does not work at all with a lot of motherboards, and sound cards! and codecs are not found easely. Peter

#15 2011-07-09 06:18:00

ohhhyeaahhh

So I had the same problem with my CB and came across this thread in search of a solution and when I used the alsamixer command in terminal, I noticed my  speaker volume was all the way down so i turned it all the way up of course and BAM it worked.

Hope this helps.

#16 2013-06-16 19:35:12

Shinao

#17 2013-06-16 20:41:54

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Aside from the bump two years ago by ohhhyeaahhh, this thread is from a time when CrunchBang was based on Ubuntu.  Since CrunchBang is now based on Debian - and has been since mid-2010 - any information in this thread is deprecated; specifically, we do not recommend the use of Ubuntu-based PPAs with Statler or Waldorf.

If you have trouble with CrunchBang and the most recent thread you can find addressing the issue is over six months old, please feel free to start a new thread and include a link to the older thread.
/closed

Board footer