SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#51 2009-03-10 19:15:24

Kuno
#! Die Hard

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

pghjake wrote:

It runs great off 8GB SDHC card in my EEE 900. Very fast. I dual boot w/ XP but spend most in #!

Given your SDHC is not a very fast one, #! should be even faster from 1st SSD. I started dualbooting with XP on 1st  SSD and #! on second (slower) SSD. Then I put #! on first and XP on the second SSD. At last (maybe two weeks till i learned how to use #! effectively, Super+ keys, etc...) I wiped XP completely.
Don't miss it anymore! smile

Being a windows user since 1995, I started experimenting with Linux 18 months ago and tried some 20+flavors. The first to finally convince me was #! . It feels just right!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#52 2009-03-10 19:17:27

xapU7
#! CrunchBanger
Website

scr3wgr4vity wrote:

1. Because it fits my standards of beauty through simplicity.

2. Its so minimalistic and yet so jam packed with potential.

3. This community is small (i like it) and crazy helpful with quick responses.

4. I actually feel part of a family by just using this OS.

5. I got windows 7 beta before i tried the live disk of #! then completely uninstalled 7 to give full room to #!.

i can absolutely agree with all mentioned above, except 5th point.. have dualboot with xp (those using from time to time for gaming), #! for everything else (work, entertainment).

[cz] maybe i'm paranoid, but it's better than be eaten by aliens.. ~
blog [design, net..]my portfolio [graphic design etc.]deviantArtflickr

#53 2009-03-18 05:12:10

Outlaw

My answer in a nutshell: It works!

Long answer: I have used nothing but Linux for my primary operating system for over 4 years now. The first distro I fell in love with was slackware. I used XFCE4 because, my computer at the time was too crappy to run KDE well. Haha.  I liked how simple and like XFCE was and openbox reminds me a lot of it. So naturally, I loved the way crunchbang looked and felt immediately. It just made me feel at home. Plus the simple look

Now, I work for a computer data security company where I am a supervisor. With the exception of a handfull of Mac computers all we run is Linux.  Ubuntu specifically.  I've always resented Ubuntu, somehow feeling a little dirty by using it since everybody and their mother use it and it seemed to take control of everything, almost as though it was afraid I would mess something up. I went in search of a new distro that would make me feel like I was in control, but at the same time, not be too demanding of me, and something that was light enough to run on the sub-par computers supplied by the company. Then I stumbled across crunchbang! Needless to say, everyone that works beneath me is now using crunchbang as well. Everything we needed worked right off the bat with the exception of smb which was quickly resolved. It's far more efficient than Ubuntu which the rest of the department uses. Crunchbang is slowly taking over the department.

I love how much control it places in my hands and I already have big plans for things I'm going to be using crunchbang for (including my DVR). I'll be sure to share and progress I make wink. I will be contributing as much as I can in all ways possible because the other great part of crunchbang is you awesome people in the community! I know this is my first post but I've been around watching things and I can't see any bad thing about the community!

Well, I guess thats about it!

#54 2009-04-03 02:52:29

crazybilly
#! Member

I tend to fallback to Ubuntu b/c it seems to be the best bet for getting hardware to work out of the box (which is, imho, the most important qualification for distro quality, followed quickly by the other reason which was...) and the selection of packages worked for me.

But Gnome (and particularly Nautilus) never felt right to me--it always felt really slow and laggy, and didn't work the way I wanted to.

My hardware at the time was an old, cheap Acer laptop. Crunchbang was a perfect fit. Since then, I just haven't gone back to Ubuntu--#! is fun and Linuxy.

Peaces, crazybilly

#55 2009-04-03 04:19:00

rigorist

I'm running a slightly modified "Target model" eee 900.  Only 4 gig of SSD space, but the memory is upgraded to 1 gig.  I need something that wont take up the whole SSD and also is light enough to run without swap.  #! does that.

But lots of other lightweight distros do that, too.  The advantage of#! is that it comes with sane and useful defaults. It is a pain to start from a barren openbox install and try to get everything set up nicely. I have modified the #! defaults quite a bit (sorry, not a fan of the super-dark theme), but it was so much nicer doing that starting from a working base.

#56 2009-04-03 04:20:23

nabilalk
#! Die Hard

crazybilly wrote:

#! is fun and Linuxy.

Linuxy lol...gotta love it ;-)

#! 10 “Statler” r20110207 32-bit & Openbox

#57 2009-04-20 07:32:56

Jdemnahouby
#! CrunchBanger

I use #! on my laptop ASUS F5N, and it s the first linux distro with no freeze since I use it...
Even Linux mint 5 freezed with no reason.

other reasons:
-speed
-theme
-conky
-great forum ;-)

really nice distro! +1000!

#58 2009-04-20 12:39:48

cain
#! Member

I have no one reason to use #! in particular, but I did try going solo (non-windows dual booting) for about three weeks before getting Vista back.

Had to get Vista back in order to play video games.  Not even interested in using Wine.

1.)  An operating system that installed to about 1 GB of space.  Windows Vista is sitting at 29.8 GB (No PageFile)
2.)  The #! looks sick.  Its got a wicked color theme (arguably the geekiest with all dark backgrounds white text).
3.)  Conky is pretty sweet.
4.)  OpenBox in my opinion is very nice.
5.)  User friendly - with the ability to learn Linux tricks.
6.)  Not as bloated as Ubuntu.
7.)  Highly Customizable.
8.)  Most of my hardware works right out the box.  Headphone jack still does not in Ubuntu or #!.

Things I wish I got from #!:
1.)  A lite version that as mentioned in other posts was just the skeleton - GDM, OpenBox + Theme, + Conky, and a terminal/webbrowser.
2.)  A 64-bit version.
3.)  Maybe a more thorough documentation wiki.

#59 2009-04-21 18:16:18

fsmo

#! is Sexy

#60 2009-04-21 20:09:04

anonymous
The Mystery Member

@cain - have you already seen this: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … t-testing/

#61 2009-04-22 00:03:52

kmachine
Website

I enjoyed some of the stories in this topic, they're really interesting!

Well, CrunchBang Linux offers everything I wanted from a "dream" GNU/Linux-OS:

- Simplicity
- Speed
- Accessibility
- Flexibility

and I dare to say it's fulfilling those caracteristics perfectly!

After trying Distros like Xubuntu, Kubuntu (if, then only Kde 3.5), Fluxbuntu, Debian, etc... I actually knew what I wanted (See above).

Last edited by kmachine (2009-04-22 00:05:44)

#62 2009-04-22 03:24:34

Pantherman

For me it was a matter of stability, the programs I could use and the size. No matter how hard I tired, I couldn't get the install size below 4Gigs if i wanted a Linux OS that had most of the things that I wanted.

Kubuntu, Ubuntu and even Debian were nice, but Debian got a little hard for me to build from just the base system. Also (for whatever reason) Kubuntu and Ubuntu would stop working right after awhile starting with it hanging on shutdown and eventually crashing the system altogether.

Crunchbang on the other hand is lightweight, installs in just under 2 gigs, gives me what I want, and it isn't a horrific pain in the butt to configure my Atheros laptop wifi card (built into the laptop) where as with Ubuntu it was.

Pantherman

#63 2009-04-22 13:10:53

abrial
Website

Here goes, first post at that too...

I design websites and fix old donated computers to pass the time until i can be bothered to get a "real job" (I live 50m from a good surf break and I make enough money to eat, why would i want to go to an office?) So one of the computers someone gave me was a Toshiba A80 with the screen ripped off, they saw rubbish, I saw a portable Apache/PHP/MySQL server to take to clients to show them updates, plus with a portable projector I had a movie theatre where ever I could find a nice white wall.

Tried Debian, too much hassle to make it look nice.

Tried Ubuntu, see enough Gnome on my desktop.

Tried XP Home from the recovery cd, almost broke the rest of the laptop in frustration.

Don't like the look of DSL, never like the RPM based distros, then I saw someone mention #! on the Ubuntu forums, thought I'd take a look before trying to cook up my own build with Debian...

Whoa, this is what my old computer was like when I tried to hide my M$ shame with LiteStep way back when, plus this computer doesn't show me helpful blue screens to tell me I installed everything properly but M$ couldn't be bothered with quality control.

So that's why I use it, but why I stick with it is another reason, sure there's the look, the minimalist design, nostalgia (hey I liked LiteStep), but the main reason is this forum and everyone on it, haven't posted but haven't needed to either.

Ever noticed how everybody raves about the Ubu forums, and then looked at how many questions never get answered because there's only so many people with the skills needed to go around? Compare it to the #! forums, one person was having problems with their network connections someone started to help, corenominal turns up and digs in as well, they're all looking at syslogs, comparing results between .1 and .2 and hey everything now works. On the Ubu forums the same problem would be on the third page by the time someone with the know how to help turns up and chances are the post will be overlooked.

So yeah...

1) Looks
2) Ubu repos
3) Openbox, with a little tint2 and tilda thrown in
4) You guys and girls

Them's my reasons, now I'm gonna go down the pub, because I've done enough heavy thinking for today.

p.s. 5) That A80 with #!Lite is faster than my mates DV9800 running Vista, gotta love that smile

#64 2009-06-25 20:32:11

Tuxfriend

Since years i use full ubuntu on desktop and laptop computers, i like the easy package base, most thins running out of the box. After buying th 901go i spend 2 weeks with xandros, got pain and headache with their ugly setup. Start a search and found unr, easypeasy, eeebuntu. Most of them are downloaded and startet from sd-card. Most of them are nice but painful slow. Remembered wmaker that was used ten years ago on a 64mb laptop with 800x600. This results in cruncheee, cause it give full ubuntu repos and optimizations for specific hardware features of the eee. I'm a friend of alternate and fast desktops, cruncheee give it to me. Nice!

Tuxfriend

#65 2009-06-25 21:57:05

Evolution
#! CrunchBanger
Website

im simply broke and all i have to work with is my old laptop so i needed a lightweight distro to use and crunchbang seems to fit the bill, plus i love its look and overall feel.

------------
Im Just Sayin!
check my Deviant Art page http://faceless79.deviantart.com/

#66 2009-06-27 00:20:49

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

i often have done massive bouts of distro surfing.  my last mainstay distro was sabayon (3.4 & 3.5).  considerably heavier and fuller than #!
i wasnt specifically looking for anything to replace sabayon (and indeed, i havnt, it's still what i use on my main desktop), but since playing with slitaz linux quite a bit, i got into using usb drives for my os alot more.   and then when i found unetbootin, that just set me off surfing distros again.

crunchbang has the weight of the ubuntu community and repository behind it.  thats quite appealing.  but what really has me stay is:

lightweight nippyness,
out of the box considerate configuredness,
it has that "just works" appeal to it too,
it's encouraging of getting the end user under the hood, learning their system's configuration files.

so although it doesnt have some of the genius/stupidity of a gentoo based system that i've grown accustomed to, and instead has some of those awful unique ubuntu ways, this is a minor gripe given it seems to be a distro project that knows where it's heading.  away from bloat, uses the right tool for the job, etc etc etc.

would elaborate further, but that really covers the main points.

smile

#67 2009-06-27 07:44:29

Tuxfriend

I was always a friend of fast bootin environment, have always used tiny alternatives. I bootet up Amiga OS from harddisk in 5 seconds while most people have pain with win9 on their pc. Using my first laptop 10 years ago with wmaker and debian was a goal against win98 that suck all ressources fo a final slowdown. This laptop has 800x600, 64meg ram and 500mb harddisk, really less ressources than a netbook today. Many years with debian and ubuntu later i use tiny solutions if the hardware isnt fat enough. Linux give always clear multitasking and working permissions. You can work with user permissions, thats better as in every windows. Cruncheee boots on the eee 901 in 25sec, on the aa1 in 40sec.

#68 2009-06-29 23:45:54

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

So my story:

I grew up with windows, and I've got a great interest in technology so I became very good with it. I always knew about 'linux' for a long time before the really friendly gui / high hardware compatibility came out, i just didnt have the time or skills to get into it. Finally with Ubuntu 7.04 I installed a linux, but had too many hardware problems with an external eSata drive. 7.10 fixed all that, and I have been a big fan of Ubuntu for the longest time. from then till now i've been trying to use linux while maintaining XP for games. I ventured into a few other distros, other ubuntu-based distros like xubuntu and fluxbuntu, went to debian for a bit, tried gentoo (and failed), tried solaris and bsd even for a bit, fedora, suse, and I'm sure a few others. I discovered ubuntu was my favorite, APT was my favorite, and it was simple to setup, and I could customize it at the speed I was able to learn at. If I had no skills, the basic install is great, and then as I learned I was able to customize more and more.

This christmas I got a laptop for university next year (comp sci, will need one), and after realizing I would be on battery most of the time, I tried to get the most of it. A pirated and hacked-to-crap version of XP got me sitting around 2 hours, the vista 32bit basic it came with (with 4gb of ram too. ugh), only got me 50min, so it was definitely an improvement. I figured linux would be able to squeeze me that little bit more.

So i loaded up Ubuntu 8.10, and realized early on that it came with so many applications I wouldn't use at all. It also felt like there were many lighter alternatives to many gnome apps. I switched to Xubuntu, it still wasn't light enough. 9.04 came out, loved the new boot time. Found crunchbang around this time, put it on that puppy, found a few power managing scripts (mainly koopa's), and fell in love. It has me at 2:30 of battery life (almost double of what it had coming from the store).

And this has led me to go a full-#! desktop, even though it was never my intention. Started reading the forums - loved it. Joined. And here I am.

just call me...
~FSM~

#69 2009-06-30 11:41:14

tracker

sometime in march i got up on the wrong side of bed one day,..... dont recall exactly why, or why i decided to take it out on xp, but that was the day i started looking at linux.

i make beats on renoise, a tracker program, which i was attracted to cos you control it with the keyboard and you can work 90% of it without touching a mouse. so the command line stuff in linux looked equally attractive but for a whole OS. so i went hunting for an audio production distro and found ubuntu studio. it was alright, looked nice, and performed pretty ok, but it always felt "clunky" for want of a better word. and thus began my distro hopping,.... not that i wanted to go distro hopping.

i went from ubuntu studio to ubuntu to mint to JAD to 64studio, and none of them really felt right. they all felt clunky and heavy, and since i make my beats in one program, the tweaks from the audio distros didnt really add much and still felt chubby, while the regular distros were clinically obese.

i needed something light, but not anorexic.

i dont recall how i heard about #! but i am so glad i did.

so here's why i use it:

- crunchbang "feels" light and speedy, apps load up in doubletime and they shut down when you want them to ( cept for firefox recently).
- it feels like i went out and doubled the RAM on my machine.
- renoise runs very nicely, even without the rt-kernel ( i dont record multiple tracks at once though).
- work applications work nicely with wine,.... trading software runs just like it does on xp.
- everything works out the box, and you can access the ubuntu repos.
- the forum is great, i havent had serious problems, but the minor ones i have had seemed to already have been covered, so a quick search and you find your answer.
- and for something less tangible,..... i dont "feel" like distro hopping anymore to see if theres something better out there for me.

oh and i have this confession, when someone asks if they could check their mail,...... i really enjoy seeing the first look of "wtf?!" on anyones face when they dont see icons or a start menu lol

#70 2009-06-30 22:03:55

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

tracker wrote:

( cept for firefox recently).

firefox likes to bloat up after alot of use.  most of the bloating up you'll likely never need to use.  i've recently found it very wise n prudent to give it a clean out every once in a while... and even that might not bring it back to spritelyness you remembered in the begining, in which case sometimes it's savvy to go make yourself another profile in it.  that should bring it back to former glory.   ....those addons do come at a performance premium once you've added a dozen of them.  wink

#71 2009-07-01 01:06:31

tracker

yeah i've only just thought of doing a clean up on firefox.

i actually dont have that many add ons. google toolbar and thats it. all the other crap that can be integrated into firefox i dont use at all so i'm surprised its acting so crap.

but yeah i just wanted to make it clear that its not a crunchbang issue as firefox is being shit on mint and regular ubuntu as well.

#72 2009-07-01 02:46:25

jackbang
#! CrunchBanger

google urlclassifier.sqlite to find out how to cleanup/remove this - it's a major cause of slow startup/shutdown.  Also, if your history grows anything beyond a couple of hundred thousand entries or so, ff really starts to choke.  Places may be a big improvement architecturally over the mork format files, but it's broken performance-wise, IMHO.

The other thing I would recommend is use FF3.5.  I've found quite a speed improvement, even comparing a totally blank profile on each version, let alone a profile loaded with bookmarks/history. etc.

FF being unusably slow was why I first tried #!, and now I just can't face the prospect of booting up the ubuntu intrepid still on my disk, even though all my files are still in the home dir of that partition, which I have mounted on /mnt for now.

Last edited by jackbang (2009-07-01 02:53:14)

#73 2009-07-01 06:53:39

tracker

cheers for the info man.

this is one massive reason alone to use crunchbang,.... i have a slight annoyance, but everyone pitches in with tips and ideas on how to fix it.

honestly you cant ask for more really.

#74 2009-07-14 09:44:56

Tony Leung

I work on a laptop aging from 1999 with a screen resolution of 800x600 and a Celeron450. Luckily I have upgraded to the max 256sdram. It's a gift from my dearest friend. So, I want to keep it alive and use it in my bedroom.

The Cloud idea is very interesting, but as now mid 2009. It's just not ready. My priority is having a OS with good response and updated software. Then I've found out that I love trying OSes. They all have their goals and dreams. If you have found one that suits your hardware and your needs, it's wonderful.

This HP become one of the old machines which had tried many and many OSes:
DOS, Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, XP fundamentals, (Sorry no 3.11 or Vista)
Red Hat Linux, DSL, Puppy Linux, xPud, gOS 1.0-3.1, moonOS, Ubuntu's, Xubuntu's, Debian LXDE, Fedora11 LXDE, Ubuntu LXDE, U-lite, Fluxbuntu, Linpux, Mint, GoblinX, Xandros for EEE701(a failed experiment), BackTrack for some WiFi "tests".

CrunchBang Linux finally became as best tested OS for my 'powerful' machine. ALthough DSL & PuppyOS suites entirely in my 256MB, they lack the dynamic of updating( but are still one the best choices beside #!). gOS is way too heavy, maybe they choose to let down the 256mb line.  xPud and other Cloud's are not finished yet. They still act very beta and are machine specific made.

Thanks #! a OS so SMALL, so FOCUSED and still so Flexible!
Recommended for all 256mb machines and beyond.

Last edited by Tony Leung (2009-07-14 09:50:43)

HP Omnibook XE2, Celeron(pIII-class)450Mhz-128 KB L2 Cache, Intel 440BX/ZX chipset, 256SDRAM, 12.1" HPA 800 x 600 ( SVGA ),  SMI LynxEM4 AGP 4MB.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#75 2009-07-15 18:21:18

seafea

Bought my netbook to a meeting of the Virginia Tech Linux and Unix Users Group, cause I was curious.  I wanted to try a more lightweight OS than Windows XP.

I put it on a USB pendrive, but I'm thinking of just junking XP and putting #! on the SSD.

Board footer