SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#651 2013-05-11 23:21:05

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

Re: Why do you use #!Crunchbang

"The time we wish we spent but lost it all."
- Coheed and Cambria.

my favorite distros: solyd xk | kwheezy

Be excellent to each other!

#652 2013-05-13 19:53:33

dgz
#! Junkie

kave_mann wrote:

I have tried a lot of the other distros but I spent way too much time getting them to act and look like #!  .  So I decided if I want them to be #! why not use #! . Its awsome and it works !!

+1

i've not yet found a distro that better suits my needs.

#653 2013-05-15 01:09:47

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

dgz wrote:
kave_mann wrote:

I have tried a lot of the other distros but I spent way too much time getting them to act and look like #!  .  So I decided if I want them to be #! why not use #! . Its awsome and it works !!

+1

i've not yet found a distro that better suits my needs.

Same with me...tried to mimic #!'s glistening simplicity/perfection but none can compare to it being an all mighty minimalistic yet very capable distro. I've never thought I'd say this but #! is my favorite above all, will always be.

VIVA LA #!

- Coheed and Cambria.

#654 2013-05-16 20:17:20

kbmonkey
#! Die Hard
Website

I only wanted a functionally simple OS from which I can learn the inner workings a bit more.

It turns out there is a strong and friendly community backing it too.

Awesome!

#655 2013-05-16 20:40:56

lowrider
#! Die Hard

^ That!!!
And i never look back what's left behind.
I still try out and hop on each and every distro/wm/de i can keep my hands on, but i know my base and it has a swirl.

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#656 2013-05-17 02:09:06

heli

because it sounds cool that's p much it.

#657 2013-05-18 02:27:13

intoCB
Scatweasel

^Yeah, same thing with Puppy Linux. Plus you can invite people home to see your Puppy. I am told.

#658 2013-05-18 13:35:01

sznurek

My reasons for using #! are simple:
1) I want my system simple.
2) I want my system light.
3) I want my system stable.

Arch linux provided 1) & 2), Ubuntu provided 1) & 3) (mostly). Crunchbang wins smile

#659 2013-05-28 10:16:24

Folg

I use  (and love) #! because when I break something one of  you nerds (and I mean that in the most loving way possible) has already broken it once before me. Today I messed up rc.xml and thanks to the #! forum it took me a whopping 30 seconds to find out that there's another copy of it in etc/skel/.config/openbox. I was up and running again in no time!

#660 2013-05-28 11:25:38

Kamuisan

I use #! because it is light and stable.
Before I used Ubuntu and it was stable but I need something lighter and I was curious about openbox:)

#661 2013-05-28 14:32:08

Batch10s

I found #! via an Twitter user, tweeting (translated from german): "Okay, I was totally wrong about Crunchbang smile". And that's how I've found #!.
I use it for an old system I still have running, which I use as an secondary computer.

#662 2013-05-28 19:10:07

seraphtrend
#! CrunchBanger

Why I use #!

1. Functionality - the GUI stays out of the way so I can get the job done

2. Design, Minimalism is sooo futuristic - #! does it best

3. Stability - being based on Debian you get the most stable packages

4. It's Linux - that means no viruses

5. Flexible - It bends and molds to my liking

6. Community - IMHO the best and friendliest folks of any distro

Last edited by seraphtrend (2013-05-28 19:11:49)

#663 2013-05-29 02:46:05

Madidas

#! - Simple, efficient, small, Conky cool and it contains everything I need...
Even games (couple exceptions there sad).

Twitter: Madi_das
Flickr: Madi_das
Photography equipment: Nikon D5000, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G, Meike battery handle and mini tripod.

#664 2013-05-29 04:29:32

kd5ob
#! CrunchBanger

I've used Debian stable since 1997 after walking away from Windows NT.
And I've used Ubuntu for about 2 years.

I use CrunchBang Linux for a number of reasons.

#1   The distribution is customized in "SINGLE USER MODE" and I think it's probably the only one which is in Linux Land.
#2.  CrunchBang is based on Debian stable, which I've always relied on for years....
#3.  CrunchBang incorporates specialized scripts which help install more software and they have repo's which
       actually do enhance Debian stable.  One example is "KAZAM"...    From Kernels through software editions,
       CrunchBang is actually enhanced Debian Stable.  When you run CrunchBang, your running an improved model
       of Debian Stable which is constantly upgrade with new things almost every month.
#4.  The OPENBOX desktop is the fastest desktop in the FOSS world right now and also the most customizable. 
       I would say even more so than KDE to be bold, as you can't move your pop-up messages around the screen
       with KDE.  You can't change what you "HOT CORNER" does in distro's like LMDE.
       Just about every aspect of the OPENBOX WM is changable via configuration files. 
       When you compare keyboard movement of windows, slide right, expand, resize, frame fit and so on, so forth,,,
       you see that OPENBOX does a better job of this than Linux Mint under Ubuntu.   
       Overall, OPENBOX gives me the quickest, keyboard related, desktop that I've ever had my hands on.
       It really is a joy to use and you get used to it very quickly, so much so, that when you go away to another distro
       like OpenSuse 12.3 for a spin, you feel SCREWED!!!
#5.  Built in Conky. 
#6.  Unlike other OS's, CrunchBang Linux can run Google Chrome in under 1 gig of ram. 
#7   The best out of the box audio setup of them all.  Ease of use for headphone users.
       Certainly a match for Cinnamon.
#8.  CrunchBang Linux has the best installer and the quickest installer of all the Debian's.
       The Debian installer is good but,,, they fell back on their XFCE promise and have a GNOME default
       desktop.  The Debian DVD also installs a ton of crap and gives you a true multi-user system.
       You get the WHOLE SMACK with the Debian DVD.  CrunchBang is much more conservative.
       You get to pick and choose what you want and don't want with CrunchBang.
#9   CrunchBang is on par with Gentoo when it comes to VirtualBox.  Just try playing a NETFLIX app in some distro
       you installed in VirtualBox and compare that quality performance to what CrunchBang gives you. 
       Much better performance in every category. 
#10.  CrunchBang is unlike Ubuntu in that you don't get PLOWED TO DEATH with updates every day
         for broken software.  No crash popup's here as Phillip has removed them!!!

And I'm sticking to my story!!!!

#665 2013-05-29 06:03:45

tylevad

After years of Arch Linux loyalty, I found myself freelancing, working from home on my own machine, and the bleeding-edge rolling release is simply not stable enough to work in. I distro-hopped for a while, seeking just the right balance of stability, solid user-base, and no-nonsense base install, but nearly everything I tried was either broken or bloated. I am an XMonad die-hard, so most DEs are right out the window, and I have spent too much time fiddling with every little aspect of Arch to have the patience for building all over again from the ground up on a minimal, raw Debian install. Enter #!, the only distribution that I've found to be so sleek, sane, and instantly usable. My setup isn't strictly CrunchBang, of course, but the core system is; I just added the UI that I've been nurturing over the years. I think I'm here to stay.

EDIT 6.9.2013: I went and did it; within a week, my system had departed so far from CrunchBang that it made more sense to base it on a minimal Debian install, so I did. However, the #! community is great and I haven't come across a better graphical distro, so it would seem that I'm going to stick around anyway.

Last edited by tylevad (2013-06-10 04:12:31)

~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs is my bonzai tree...

#666 2013-05-29 12:49:48

monkey of rage
#! Member

The road to discovering #! started when it was 8-9 months time until support end of Ubuntu 10.04.4. I tried to get used to 11.04(+up), and I just wasn't feeling it. The feel of the desktop was something I would describe as a cross between Windows7 and Mac, and noticeably heavier than 10.04. I was comfortable with Lynx, it worked on everything OOB, and was easily cutomized. It didn't run extremely heavy; at the time running easy on the weakest machine, Athlon x2 @ 2.0Ghz (RIP).

So, I began my search for a replacement. I tried: OpenSuse(?), Fedora 14-13, Debian Wheezy-Sid, Mint 14, Windows7, Kubuntu 11/12, Xubuntu, and others I just won't ever remember. I was going to stick with Mint, and was using the time left I had with Lynx testing and configuring Mint for my setup.

Then one fateful Janurary night, my friend and I were talking releases and exchaning ideas and opinions about various topics; one of which being Debian with Gnome3.x. We both agreed that it wasn't really good for either of us, but had potential with the "Average" user. He then told me of a distro he discovered no more than a week prior called CrunchBang, and boasted it's ease of use, configurability, OOBness, and all-around kick-assery. So, off to the Googlenator I go, and find myself at a dark-grey Website. This is, the absolute best website I have ever been to, period. As a hosting support agent, I get to see a lot of websites. Some of which cost a LOT of money to make, and are far from awe-inpiring and average at best.

Download complete. Installed into VM, and logged in.

My first experience was staggering at first. The biggest obstacles were: "WTF is 'Super'?", and finding out how to use dmenu. After that, it was smooth sailing. Everything I needed to do with my setup was accomplished easily, ran extremely light (even in VM), and quite full of kick-assery.

I'm always learning something new with Linux, and am in no way a "Super-user". I'm probably what they call "Power-user", if the naming scheme is tiered. The current demand of my machines is efficiently and easily met with the aid of CrunchBang. Mostly minimal backend tasks (Apache2, PHP, MySQL, TransmissionWUI, SSH, FTP, Samba, etc) with most use coming from normal frontend usage. Crunchbang is by far the best operating system I've ever used. As an example, I am the kind of user which never closes anything. I have somewhat mild ADD, which can be seen at the end of the day with many IceWeasel/Dove tabs/windows, so many terminals, and various programs (including XBMC) all still running and conky not reporting more than 2.5GB ram (mostly IW), and never ever more than 50% cpu. Tint is completely full by this time, and icons are half showing. No lag, not stutter. I've never had any problems with Crunchbang (only from 3rd party bugs).
(current setup: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 7#p311657)

I'm going to stop now, because this could go on for a while.

Final word:

I love Crunchbang, and look forward to many years of enjoyment with Waldorf.

Bang on, Crunchy.
8o

#667 2013-05-29 14:27:19

JWJones
#! Member

Simple, functional, fast, stable, configurable. Openbox does what I want and stays outta my way — no silly desktop environment to get in my way and slow things down. #! is simply the quickest way to get a fully functional, speedy, beautiful Openbox system up and running, right now. There's a reason the Crunchbang model is emulated by others.

#668 2013-05-30 00:20:30

g33zr
#! Die Hard

When I first decided that Linux and FOSS were for me, I did a fair share of distro hopping, but I was always intrigued by the name CrunchBang and it's bin/bash #! acronym. The problem was I never couldn't install and boot it on my Macs, so I ran it in VB. When I replaced my dead MacBook with a Linux friendly one (System76). The first thing I did was replace Ubuntu with #!. But the system kept freezing, so I went with Manjaro Openbox for a spell. I finally figured out how to install and dual-boot it on my iMac (the Mrs. still prefers OS X roll ), but now I'm back. lol

#! is beautifully basic
#! is lean
#! is wicked fast
#! is configurable
#! works like a dream

It's never too late to learn something new! wink

OHCG | LXer

#669 2013-05-30 00:24:46

unnamed_1
Website

I use #! mainly because it is fast on my old hardware, is compatible with it also, and lastly because it looks awesome.

One man's treason is another man's patriotism.
BSD is designed. Linux is grown.
"Noli Soli Sumus"

#670 2013-05-30 05:57:00

MadZarx

I LOOOOVE it because:

- I love it's UI
- Based on debian
- Great community
- Fast and stable
- Conky and terminatir
- The configuration files that let me customize it the way I want
- Lots of GTK and OpenBox themes big_smile

I LOVE #!  :8

#671 2013-05-30 11:53:43

Turys

Linux novice here; I use CrunchBang because:

It works flawless, out-of-the-box for my notebook that I only use for light editing and youtube. My inexperience of Linux hasn't hindered me yet to use CrunchBang. Also with the minimalistic aspect, I only have the most necessary applications and my notebook is fast and enjoyable to use.

I use it in a dual boot with Windows 7 on my main computer because of how light it is, how stable it is, and that the few problems that I have found have I been able to find a fix for within a few minutes. But I cannot yet fully devote myself to Linux based on a few applications that aren't quite as stable on Linux. But I believe that in the soon(ish) future, Linux will have a bigger share on the market and then it will become possible for me, with experience in the backpack, to only install a Linux system on my pc!

#672 2013-06-06 20:25:47

sydb

kd5ob wrote:

#1   The distribution is customized in "SINGLE USER MODE" and I think it's probably the only one which is in Linux Land.

What does this mean? Are you talking about the runlevel? I've never come across anyone discussing a distro in these terms, is it a security concern that this addresses?

#673 2013-06-06 23:08:15

AvocadoPrime
Website

I'm new to CrunchBang. I've been using Ubuntu for about three years now. And while its great for most things, I just sort of feel that I want to use a distro that will challenge me a little more. #! having Debian as its base is also another comfort for me (I've grown accustomed to using Deb packages). I was thinking about switching fully to Arch, and I have tried ArchBang for a bit...but there's just something about the look and feel of #! that I like.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

#674 2013-06-06 23:13:51

AvocadoPrime
Website

Turys wrote:

. But I cannot yet fully devote myself to Linux based on a few applications that aren't quite as stable on Linux. But I believe that in the soon(ish) future...

I fully took that leap from Windows a couple of years ago, and I have to say, what I need from Linux (which isn't much) it does pretty dang well! big_smile

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."

Be excellent to each other!

#675 2013-06-17 05:41:16

nebulaehair
#! Junkie

#! just works right out of the box, enough said.

- Coheed and Cambria.

Board footer