SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-27 14:28:41

OldYogi

BL Partition Size?

I have #! running happily in an 8.4Gb single partition -- no separate /home.  1.45 Gb are still free.
If I replace #! with BL (which I have running on another machine, and love)  -- will BL be happy in the same 8.4Gb partition, or will it need more space?

The space limitations are real:   this is an old IBM T43 with a 40Gb drive, dual boot with XP.   I have not in years had any reason to run XP on this machine - but I keep it just in case.

Thanks in advance.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-09-27 15:21:08

hhh
Cityspeak

Re: BL Partition Size?

Yes, that's fine as long as you're careful with managing it. The recommendation is 10G, same as for Debian.

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

#3 2015-09-27 22:22:27

ohnonot
...again

the system really just needs a few G, it's mostly media and games that take up lots of space. have to keep that in mind when installing to such a small hard drive.
you should really consider getting a bigger one; you could easily get several hundreds of GB for just a few lousy credits or for free if you know where to look.
(and no, i'm not judgemental or anything, just stating the facts. don't know why people always get so touchy when one says "your hardware is outdated" - well it's not outdated if it's working, but why suffer with a 40GB hard drive when people throw away machines with 100s of perfectly usable gigabytes...)

Last edited by ohnonot (2015-09-27 22:23:33)

#4 2015-09-28 04:45:22

OldYogi

I completely respect that response -- about my outdated machine.   and of course storage is cheap.  I have 4Tb  and 16Gb of RAM  on my desktop PC -- which I use for editing video and photographs, and storing my entire CD collection as FLAC.

But that ancient (10 yr old)  laptop serves well and sufficiently in the kitchen for email to my kids and grandchildren while I have my coffee.  I could replace its HD with one 2x or 3x the size for lots less than I paid this evening for dinner.   But I wouldn't use the extra space.   as it is I have a 4Gb shared ntfs partition for storage, accessible to both XP and to #!, and it isn't 1/4 full.  and then there is Dropbox.

One of the glories of a trim and simple OS like #! and BL is precisely that it can give new life to, or at least extend the life of, an otherwise outdated system.   We throw away too much stuff, only to replace it with improvements we don't need and don't use.   My phone is 5 yrs old -- I don't watch video on it, I don't listen to music on it, I don't use its camera.  I don't need a new phone.

As you said, "it's not outdated if it's working."   Or at least, there is no reason to replace it if it serves all my needs.

Thanks for the reply --

--- maybe I should explain further -- I don't throw much away -- as my wife will attest.  and my wife?   well --we've been married almost 50 years.   No -- I don't discard much.  smile

#5 2015-09-28 14:29:37

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie

I installed it to an 8GB USB stick, with enough free space to install some other bits n bobs

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

#6 2015-09-28 15:32:04

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

Yea but it's the bytes and roberts you gotta watch out for.  lol

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#7 2015-09-29 19:45:11

ohnonot
...again

@OldYogi: I actually misread your first post, i thought you had a 10GB hard drive, and I only edited the 10 to a 40 later.
so my reaction was slightly stronger than necessary, but in any case i can see the point of your question now, and the answer is that for this scenario 10GB is totally sufficient.

Board footer