SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-17 07:31:03

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie

First Impressions on GROSSLY underpowered hardware

So, having nothing better to do, and a really OLD laptop I decided to give BL RC1 a spin.

Bearing in mind this is an ancient p3m powered laptop, with only 192MB of RAM:

Surprisingly to me, the live session boots, and applications (eventually) open, unsurprisingly, it's really not useable this way.

Being as the machine doesn't meet the min spec for Jessie, I wasn't surprised when graphical install bombed owing to lack of RAM exiting to text mode.. text mode install ran flawlessly though.

I was particularly impressed by the install finding and getting the ancient Broadcom wireless configured, this didn't happen with #!, and doesn't with a debian netinstall even using the nonfree iso, which complains about missing firmware.

Machine boots faster than when I had XP loaded on it, and generally performs reasonably, so long as you don't try to multi-task, music plays in VLC, as does video, even DVDs are *almost* watchable.

Web browsing OOTB is painful though, though it's painful under Windows too and threw up some issues when I installed and tried other browsers.

Chromium and google chrome both install, but neither runs, both exit, Chromium explaining that the sse2 instruction set is required (but not supported by my hardware) Chrome stable merely says my hardware is no longer supported, doubtless the same issue.  Perhaps installing them from the pipemenu should be disabled in the absence of sse2?

Youtube is unusable, in Opera the plugin crashes, and in Iceweasel I'm left with a black rectangle in which the video never loads or plays.

Web browsing aside, everything else I've tried so far worked quite well, and more responsively than expected.

Overall I'm impressed with the responsiveness, look, and feel, when I can figure out encrypted LVM, I'm looking forward to loading up on my other much more capable (though still old) laptop, may have to go the netinstall + script route for that, though not looking forward to more Broadcom wireless issues if I must use that route, It has to be better than that machine struggling painfully with Win 7 though!

Anyway, I'm impressed as far as I've got playing round so far!

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-09-17 07:49:10

nore
>2^9

Re: First Impressions on GROSSLY underpowered hardware

#3 2015-09-17 08:17:50

Bearded_Blunder
#! Junkie

Erm, it's the better one struggling with win 7, a p4 class with a half gig of ram.. although I did for a laugh once hack the installer and load 7 on the p3 detailed.. took 3 days to install

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

#4 2015-09-17 10:52:04

damo
#! gimpbanger

#5 2015-09-17 13:30:55

ghorvath
#! Member

#6 2015-09-28 23:02:23

phle

Board footer