SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-09 13:49:31

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

different ways of installing other than usb / CD / net

is it possible to copy an Linux install onto a partition of the hdd that you will be installing to then using that instead if the PC/Laptop keeps dropping the mount to the usb?

if so , then what utilities would be needed to add to the usb stick (perhaps in a different partition) and steps to make the drive being installed onto able to be used to install into the same drive without trying to install over itself?

"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-06-09 16:00:57

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Re: different ways of installing other than usb / CD / net

this is as far as I got so far?
I re-installed my Hard Drive with a working copy of Win 8.1 already installed on it.
with a 32GB USB Stick I gParted it into sections then dd 'ed two iso's onto it leaving the sdc1 alone, with that I put FatDog SlackO on it. booted up into that then in FatDog Linux I started gParted (this is loaded with stuff) then noticed that this Hard Drive that I used and am in WIndows 8.1 right now. As I booted into it to see if it worked. It did.

While in FatDog I took the extra partition that I already had then chopped it up with gParted. swap, /dev/sdaX 30GB for / and some for the /home leaving a few extra GB on the end for a dd copy of an iso.

they where all formatted to ext4 except swap, of course. Then I copied a dd copy of Debian on to the last sdaX partition. then got lost in what to do next. How do I get it to boot into the install of that last partition?

Then noticed in FatDog it has an install to HDD . So I installed FatDog onto sdaX then installed dos to grub on /dev/sda - it seen FatDog and gave it a windows section by default in grub too.

then I just rebooted. pulled the usb and waited to see what would happen. Dos to Grub was there gave me the option FatDog or WIndows and a few other sections.

I picked FatDog first. It worked. Then rebooted into here Windows 8.1

Left to do:

set it up hopefully somehow to get it to be able to install what i have on this Hard Drive. I think maybe if it matters. that last partition should have been win32 and not ext4. Windows don't even see shi* if its not theirs.

"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Board footer