SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-06-05 11:48:50

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

BunsenLabs version.

TL;DR
I was wondering if anyone knows what they might call bunsenlabs when it gets to beta? I have heard a few terms being thrown around. I was wondering if we could start a brain storming thread to help clarify what everything is being named. This way I know what everyone is talking about smile

First- The upcoming Operating System is called "BunsenLabs" one word? Bunsen is a character from a show called the muppets. Past releases of Crunchbang were named after muppets characters?

Second- Since the new name for this branch of linux is going to be BunsenLabs I am curious what the releases will be called. I have heard that we are currently in a "pre-alpha" phase but I've also heard the word "hydrogen" being thrown around. Is pre-alha known as hydrogen then?

Third- I wonder what they might call beta. I was looking into this Bunsen Honeydew character from the children's show and came up with a few interesting names.

Here is my list:
(1,2,3 play off bunsen's last name)
1. Honeydew
2. Crenshaw
3. casaba
(4, 5 play off bunsen's sidekick)
4. Beaker
5. Meep (the sound he makes I guess?)

Anyway, I was really wondering what everyone else was thinking it should be called.

Short version, I want the beta to be called  crenshaw how about you?

Last edited by Colossal_Crunch (2015-06-05 11:50:59)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-06-05 12:15:44

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: BunsenLabs version.

Sorry, it's already been decided that the BunsenLabs releases will be named after chemical elements. The first one will be "Hydrogen". (I've forgotten what the next is...)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#3 2015-06-05 12:19:33

damo
#! gimpbanger

First release will be BunsenLabs Hydrogen, then subsequently moving along the periodic table for further releases.

It has been mooted that point releases to be named after the isotopes, and anything based on sid is BunsenLabs Beaker smile

Alpha, beta, whatever are works-in-progress for testing purposes.

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#4 2015-06-05 12:38:23

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

Yuck  tongue

I hope that they at least skip around some! I would hate to see
"BunsenLabs: Sodium edition" Order now and recieve version Calcium half off!
I mean that just wouldn't work at all

However, I can see it if you skip around. Carbon, Neon, Argon, and Arsenic all sound kind of cool.
Could even throw in kryptonite updates.  cool

Oh well, guess this was another failed attemt. I'm going to start a really awesome thread one of these days.

#5 2015-06-05 12:52:38

Michele13
#! Member

The next element after Hydrogen is Helium smile
What will happen when we finish all the elements of the table? smile

#6 2015-06-05 13:37:03

Hy
#! CrunchBanger

Michele13 wrote:

BunsenLabs 'Dark matter' wink

~ Wait - what? ~

#7 2015-06-05 14:37:27

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

johnraff wrote:

Sorry, it's already been decided that the BunsenLabs releases will be named after chemical elements. The first one will be "Hydrogen". (I've forgotten what the next is...)

2_Helium (Debian 9), 3_Lithium (Debian 10), 4_Beryllium (Debian 11), ... The good thing is that we're safe for 118 releases...given the current duration of the Debian release cycle, this means 236 years of BunsenLabs Linux ;D After that, we'll hopefully have discovered elements with p>118, and managed to give them good names. But if D.F.Wallace was right, element 119 is in the danger of being named "ELEMENT OF DAIRY PRODUCTS FROM THE AMERICAN HEARTLAND".

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#8 2015-06-05 16:50:27

LabRat
#! CrunchBanger

lol

Peace

#9 2015-06-05 16:52:27

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

twoion wrote:

The good thing is that we're safe for 118 releases

We can start using the theoretical "islands of stability" elements after that smile

#10 2015-06-05 17:01:44

LabRat
#! CrunchBanger

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

We can start using the theoretical "islands of stability" elements after that smile

Theoretical Physics give me a Theoretical headache. Think I'll take some Theoretical Tylenol and lay down on my Theoretical couch, for an as yet undetermined amount of time.   smile

Peace

#11 2015-06-05 21:47:12

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Michele13 wrote:

Since BunsenLabs releases will follow Debian releases, which happen every two years, I don't think running out of chemical elements is anything we'll have to worry about in our lifetimes.  Debian will run out of Toy Story characters long before then.  Heck, as an OS, I expect GNU/Linux to go extinct within my lifetime.

#12 2015-06-05 22:43:39

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

twoion wrote:
johnraff wrote:

2_Helium (Debian 9), 3_Lithium (Debian 10), 4_Beryllium (Debian 11), ... The good thing is that we're safe for 118 releases...given the current duration of the Debian release cycle, this means 236 years of BunsenLabs Linux ;D After that, we'll hopefully have discovered elements with p>118, and managed to give them good names. But if D.F.Wallace was right, element 119 is in the danger of being named "ELEMENT OF DAIRY PRODUCTS FROM THE AMERICAN HEARTLAND".

236 years from now we will assuredly be well into quantum computing. There will be one os that covers simultaneously all possible variants of an os that could possibly be imagined. The os will then most likely obtain a degree of complexity sufficient for it to develop "personality". It is a possibility that the os will be referred to as  Rei Toei, source William Gibson, Idoru. However, it is equally likely that the os will choose its own name, thus rendering os naming debates meaningless.

#13 2015-06-05 23:12:06

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

someone hates elements 8o

pvsage wrote:
Michele13 wrote:

Since BunsenLabs releases will follow Debian releases, which happen every two years, I don't think running out of chemical elements is anything we'll have to worry about in our lifetimes.  Debian will run out of Toy Story characters long before then.  Heck, as an OS, I expect GNU/Linux to go extinct within my lifetime.

Rise of the BSDs?  8o

#14 2015-06-05 23:48:33

twoion
Emerald Caffeine

CSCoder4ever wrote:

someone hates elements 8o

pvsage wrote:
Michele13 wrote:

Rise of the BSDs?  8o

Don't worry, I'll keep an install around should the data survive WW III.

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#15 2015-06-06 06:46:57

pvsage
Internal Affairs

It's just that, considering the current progress of technology and how many OSes have come and gone before, I have to be realistic.  At this point, the current OSes (MacOS, if you include all versions from 1984, Windows 3.0 and later, GNU/Linux) have had a much longer run than any previous operating systems (e.g. CP/M, PRIMOS).

At any rate, I doubt that BunsenLabs will be around past Carbon; I hope that what made CrunchBang so enticing to us all will have become a Debian Pure Blend (name TBD) before then.  (That's assuming Debian itself is still around 14 years from now.)

For what it's worth, LXDE in Jessie is so close to where CrunchBang has been since 2009 (when I joined the forum and made CrunchBang my distro of choice) that I'm not sure there will even be a need for a BunsenLabs Helium.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Debian developers are already working on something similar to CrunchBang/BunsenLabs for Stretch; Debian's been moving a lot faster lately than in previous years.

I just hope Debian continues to support traditional keyboard interfaces; I despise capacitive touch screens.  Fondleslabs are one of the latest banes of modern technology, and often have me thinking about Jamiroquai's "Virtual Insanity".

#16 2015-06-06 10:28:14

cloverskull
#! Junkie

My company uses the elements for our releases - here's a fun video showing animations of each release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wl7H5V200U

#17 2015-06-06 13:51:41

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

pvsage wrote:

It's just that, considering the current progress of technology and how many OSes have come and gone before, I have to be realistic.  At this point, the current OSes (MacOS, if you include all versions from 1984, Windows 3.0 and later, GNU/Linux) have had a much longer run than any previous operating systems (e.g. CP/M, PRIMOS).

I just hope Debian continues to support traditional keyboard interfaces; I despise capacitive touch screens.  Fondleslabs are one of the latest banes of modern technology, and often have me thinking about Jamiroquai's "Virtual Insanity".

Well those old OSes did come and go way back when, but how many, if any, were open source?  8o

And I think they will, mechanical keyboards as it turns out are just getting more and more popular as time goes on. Recently acquiring a dumbphone, I hate those touch screen keyboards too. mad

#18 2015-06-06 13:59:15

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

CSCoder4ever wrote:

I hate those touch screen keyboards too. mad

+1 on that.

Even with haptic feedback they're still utterly horrid to use.
sad

#19 2015-06-06 17:46:20

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

tknomanzr wrote:
twoion wrote:
johnraff wrote:

236 years from now we will assuredly be well into quantum computing. There will be one os that covers simultaneously all possible variants of an os that could possibly be imagined. The os will then most likely obtain a degree of complexity sufficient for it to develop "personality". It is a possibility that the os will be referred to as  Rei Toei, source William Gibson, Idoru. However, it is equally likely that the os will choose its own name, thus rendering os naming debates meaningless.

I think that someday maybe even within the next 50 years a OS might be so complex that it's so interactive that you could say it has a "personality". However, I don't know if in my life time I will be able to afford a Quantum computing machine. What makes Linux so great is that it's free. If I could afford a $10,000 personal computer then I guess I could afford a "perfect" operating system too. Another great thing about linux is that you can really get inside it and mess around with the nuts and bolts of the system. In a Super-OS of the future I seriously doubt that any one person could really even explain how it worked by themselves. Of course you wouldn't need to make changes to such a OS anyway, since it would adapt and change to meet your desires.

So yeah 236 years from now sure, but in my life time I don't think that's going to happen.

Last edited by Colossal_Crunch (2015-06-06 17:47:53)

#20 2015-06-06 17:58:11

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

This is a little bit off topic but I was wondering why linux distros have to exist in the first place. Why can't they just be literal variations of the core sytems they are based off? What I mean is imagine that instead of installing ubuntu you would install the core net install of debian and then download all the ubuntu stuff on top of it. Wouldn't that make a huge difference? Wouldn't everyone benifit if we all worked together? It would be a lot like the way wally or bunsenlabs is done right now. It is still technically debian right? but you can go in and with a single download install the version you want on top. I just don't see the point in calling it a different OS if it's based on debian, why not call it debian: Ubuntu desktop enviroment?

Last edited by Colossal_Crunch (2015-06-06 17:59:55)

#21 2015-06-06 18:16:57

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Colossal_Crunch wrote:

I just don't see the point in calling it a different OS if it's based on debian, why not call it debian: Ubuntu desktop enviroment?

Ubuntu is patched to such an extent that it is incompatible with Debian at the binary level.

Obligatory XKCD link:
https://xkcd.com/927/

Re: Quantum computers -- not being able to afford them is unlikely to be a factor.

*Avoiding* them will be the main problem...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo

#22 2015-06-06 18:37:43

Colossal_Crunch
#! CrunchBanger

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Colossal_Crunch wrote:

I just don't see the point in calling it a different OS if it's based on debian, why not call it debian: Ubuntu desktop enviroment?

Ubuntu is patched to such an extent that it is incompatible with Debian at the binary level.

Obligatory XKCD link:
https://xkcd.com/927/

Re: Quantum computers -- not being able to afford them is unlikely to be a factor.

*Avoiding* them will be the main problem...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo

I loved the XKCD cartoon. That is a good point.

Board footer