SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-05-04 15:59:22

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

different ways to spell words in english

I think the way they spell tire in English in England and other places is just silly 

tyre ---

The spelling tyre is used in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand after being revived in the 19th century. Both tyre and tire were used in the...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tyre

"How can you learn how to fix it, if you don't break it first? :8
"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time" swp 1997  8o
"A computer is only as smart as the person using it"
"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-05-04 16:05:53

ohnonot
...again

Re: different ways to spell words in english

some people never tire discussing things like that...

#3 2015-05-04 16:08:03

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

I did try to open a bug report over on Arch for their use of "Color" in /etc/pacman.conf but it was marked "wontfix"...
8.(

#4 2015-05-04 16:14:02

twoion

ohnonot wrote:

some people never tire discussing things like that...

goto https://english.stackexchange.com;

Tannhäuser ~ {www,pkg,ddl}.bunsenlabs.org/{gitlog,repoidx}

#5 2015-05-04 16:55:24

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

It must be hurtful for you Brits that American English has gotten more popular and is taught in most schools nowadays. In my country, having "British English" is considered an "extra". I, for one, would feel very irritated if Flemish became what is considered "Dutch" ]:D

That said, it is confusing for me at times and I probably mix them up more often than I think I do.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#6 2015-05-04 17:04:09

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Unia wrote:

It must be hurtful for you Brits that American English has gotten more popular and is taught in most schools nowadays.

Yup.

#7 2015-05-04 17:46:19

Forthy
#! CrunchBanger

There is no such thing as American English.

There is English, and there are mistakes.

- The Queen

(admittedly it was the queen's parody account on twitter, but still...)

#8 2015-05-04 18:46:41

1002richards
#! CrunchBanger

Unia wrote:

...  American English has gotten more popular and is taught in most schools nowadays .

I'm not sure where that idea comes from?
Both my teenage kids are in UK schools and American English is not taught. All work is set and expected in UK English.
Mrs.1002richards works in another UK school where no American English is taught either.
There have been numerous "fly on the wall" TV documentaries in UK schools (Britain's Biggest Primary school, Educating Yorkshire, Educating the East End etc) and no American English was taught or mentioned.

#9 2015-05-04 18:59:01

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Gray and grey still confuse me and I am American  8.(

#10 2015-05-04 19:00:05

cpoakes
#! CrunchBanger

I rather like the localisations/localizations.  A pet peeve is with American publishers who don't think us Yanks can comprehend works written in en_ZA (South African), en_GB (British), or en_AU (Australian) without translating spellings and local vocabulary.  For instance: bonnet/hood, boot/trunk, braai/barbeque/barbie, sorcerer/philosopher (Potter fans).  A good US dictionary still covers world spellings and vocabulary.

I am a Deon Meyer fan - he writes in Afrikaans.  His first US offerings were only those translated to en_ZA but later works are only en_US.  The later works have South African place names but feel estranged from local sensibilities by the American language choice.

programming and administering unix since 1976 (BSD, System III, Xenix, System V, Linux)

#11 2015-05-04 19:03:08

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

I'd have to agree with 1002richards here.

On one hand, it kinda figures that they're not gonna teach American English at an UK school. It'd be like the ultimate self given slap on the face, wouldn't it?  ]:D

But on the other hand, I was born and raised in Argentina, where they teach "English" as a second language in most schools (I say "most" because I learned English, French, Italian and German at school), so when I emigrated to the US back in 2000, I was confident I wasn't gonna have much problem with the language.
Boy, was I wrong!!! People would sound to me like they were talking with their mouths full.
Then I realized I had been taught British English.
American English is not taught in my country, nor on any other Spanish speaking country I know of.

#12 2015-05-04 19:04:31

cpoakes
#! CrunchBanger

userx-bw wrote:

"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time"

Some seem to get away with butchering language...

programming and administering unix since 1976 (BSD, System III, Xenix, System V, Linux)

#13 2015-05-04 19:22:18

cpoakes
#! CrunchBanger

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:

...American English is not taught in my country, nor on any other Spanish speaking country I know of.

You will generally learn American English in Mexico (predictable with the shared border) and the English I heard in Costa Rica was American (presumably the influence of large American expat community and economic alignment with the US).

#14 2015-05-04 19:54:00

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:

I was born and raised in Argentina, where they teach "English" as a second language in most schools

I am in America, when I went back to college to take a few courses as  I walked down the corridor / passage / hallway I passed a room that had a sign above it that said "English as a second language" I couldn't help but laugh then wonder what as my first language?

"Just plug it in and see if it blows up, if not then take it apart and figure out how it works."

#15 2015-05-04 20:00:52

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

1002richards wrote:
Unia wrote:

...  American English has gotten more popular and is taught in most schools nowadays .

I'm not sure where that idea comes from?
Both my teenage kids are in UK schools and American English is not taught. All work is set and expected in UK English.

That's probably because you are from the UK, while I am from The Netherlands wink

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#16 2015-05-04 20:05:36

userx-bw
#! Die Hard

cpoakes wrote:
userx-bw wrote:

"the only way to get away with murder is - by killing time"

Some seem to get away with butchering language...

Well ain't that great? Now I got a change my quote and add the butchering of a language is also legal? and Ain't Ain't even a word, or was not a word until ???

“The Story of Ain’t: America, Its Language, and the Most Controversial Dictionary Ever Published” by David Skinner

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain … story.html

#17 2015-05-04 23:24:33

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Thankfully, words like circle, stupid, inbred and redneck are still spelled the same both sides of the Atlantic, so as long as I have a universal way to bash nascar, it's all good.

Point & Squirt

#18 2015-05-04 23:36:04

tknomanzr
#! Die Hard

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:

I'd have to agree with 1002richards here.

On one hand, it kinda figures that they're not gonna teach American English at an UK school. It'd be like the ultimate self given slap on the face, wouldn't it?  ]:D

But on the other hand, I was born and raised in Argentina, where they teach "English" as a second language in most schools (I say "most" because I learned English, French, Italian and German at school), so when I emigrated to the US back in 2000, I was confident I wasn't gonna have much problem with the language.
Boy, was I wrong!!! People would sound to me like they were talking with their mouths full.
Then I realized I had been taught British English.
American English is not taught in my country, nor on any other Spanish speaking country I know of.

It would probably not be possible to teach it in any classroom because American English is highly mutable and rapidly evolves from one thing to the next. Then there's the whole local idiom thing which is different depending on which part of the US you find yourself in. That being said, the closest thing to "proper" American English is probably the English taught in American Universities. I would say high schools, however, too many people manage to graduate high school and barely qualify as what I would consider to be literate, i.e. able to write and speak proper English and convey complex ideas clearly enough that people can understand the message.

#19 2015-05-05 00:52:35

jdonaghy
The Manatee Whisperer

"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life."
    --Bill Watterson

#20 2015-05-05 02:01:46

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

tknomanzr wrote:

It would probably not be possible to teach it in any classroom because American English is highly mutable and rapidly evolves from one thing to the next. Then there's the whole local idiom thing which is different depending on which part of the US you find yourself in.

Well, most languages do. Modern (British) English is not the same as old English, same as modern Spanish is not the same as the old one.
And the same happens with local idioms. So you British say "Proper English" is (if I'm not mistaken) Oxford's.
However, one could argue that Welsh, for example, is just as British.
Same happens to Spanish: in reality, the official language of Spain is actually Castilian Spanish, which is the language spoken in Castille. But one might argue, for example, that Galician is just as Spanish (I mean, if everybody and their cat weren't trying to separate from Spain right now).

I think the main difference is not that, but actually the fact that Americans don't seem to have a clue what "Proper American English" really is... tongue

#21 2015-05-05 06:30:24

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:

However, one could argue that Welsh, for example, is just as British.

http://www.wales.com/en/content/cms/eng … /language/
roll

#22 2015-05-05 10:54:04

photonucleon
Quantum Geek

Biscuit scone cookie pancake flapjack. There's a bundle of transatlantic confusion right there. Though admittedly not related to spelling.

- Ai! Aníron Undómiel. -
- Some things are certain. -
- Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta. -

#23 2015-05-05 11:04:40

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

#24 2015-05-05 12:50:19

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

]:D  ]:D  ]:D

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2015-05-05 16:23:14

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Seriously though, everyone should spell like Guy Martin* talks

*HoaS is probably the only one here who gets this reference.

Point & Squirt

Board footer