SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-22 16:46:01

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Upgrade your shell

BASH is great, no doubt about it.

However I prefer zsh because it is more configurable, more efficient and offers better completion, globbing and array handling.

This is particularly true when grml's superb configuration is used -- this offers case-insensitive tab-completion for commands (including flags and options), directory searches and man pages plus a very handy spell-correction feature (are you listening Sector11?).

It even offers complete BASH compatibility for all your old scripts if `emulate sh` is used smile

Simply install zsh:

sudo apt-get install zsh

Change your user's default shell:

chsh -s $(which zsh)

Download grml's configuration file:

wget -O ~/.zshrc http://git.grml.org/f/grml-etc-core/etc/zsh/zshrc

Then log out & back in again and enjoy the awesomeness big_smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2015-03-22 18:51:13

porkpiehat
#! Die Hard

Re: Upgrade your shell

I like zsh, and I used grml for many months. Then I took a good look at the huge grml config and realized I had no idea what 98% of it was doing, so I purged it and wrote my own zsh config, learning a lot in the process.

I do still use bash on most of my test machines, because I am just too lazy to install zsh and move my config over on every new install. (Yes, I know it's lame, but I am that lazy.)

#3 2015-03-22 19:36:14

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

porkpiehat wrote:

I like zsh, and I used grml for many months. Then I took a good look at the huge grml config and realized I had no idea what 98% of it was doing, so I purged it and wrote my own zsh config, learning a lot in the process.

This is an exceptionally good point.

I should try this when I have some time.

#4 2015-04-01 21:24:58

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

cbiz wants to get babble on about this topic, YaY ! smile

Was reading up on off the beaten path tweakage and had gotten around to this. Changing default shell gets mention often enough. Though wanted to share some interesting shellness babble w fellow nixers.

Was researching buncha resources on the topic, of course da blessed archwiki and zsh came up. Though folks may want to know, they've got a default system shell and a user shell, these can be switched o course. This is gnu/Linux afterall ... Debian v 7.0(wheezy) and buntu as of v 6.10 switched system shell from bash to dash.

Fact the boot speed gains in buntu were apparently quite awhile falsely attributed to Upstart, were in fact due to the change over to dash instead. ( Upstart = buntu's proposed sysV init replacement, that got passed over for several reasons in favor of systemd.) So folks can switch between shells either system shell or user and some offer advantages. Even use more than one shell.

Just a matter of nixers doing their homework on the topic and finding which work best for them and offer a balance of pros/cons suiting their preferences. Give peeps who may care summin to start em off, see one relevant search.

Found this thread by HOAS while studying up on shells and wanted to see what was going on in it. Good tute HOAS, yep, you def have all the makings of a fellow compulsive OS tweakster fellow nixer. big_smile

Vll!

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-04-01 21:32:29)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#5 2015-04-01 21:40:29

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

CBizgreat! wrote:

Debian v 7.0(wheezy) and buntu as of v 6.10 switched system shell from bash to dash.

Just to clarify -- in Debian /bin/sh is symlinked to dash rather than bash (as in most other distributions).

For any users of other distributions that do not do this, change to the Debian standard using:

# ln -sfT dash /bin/sh

I do this in Arch with no problems (so far) but if any system scripts with a /bin/sh shebang ("#!/bin/sh") contain bashisms, this will cause the scripts to fail (and this should be reported as a bug).

#6 2015-04-01 21:49:04

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Peeps would/should def do a bit of reading up if wanting to dork w shell(s). Curious if you noticed any benefits by switching system shell in Arch HOAS ? What about zsh too, anything that stands out after the switch ... good/bad ?

Outside of just personal preferences I mean ? Would for sure be interested to hear what you've experienced related to shells. Not trying to hijack and will shut it but wanted to try to give folks a hand up on this topic if anyone cared to mess w it.

Vll! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-04-01 21:53:00)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#7 2015-04-01 21:56:18

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

CBizgreat! wrote:

Curious if you noticed any benefits by switching system shell in Arch HOAS ?

In all honesty not really but my laptop is a bit of a beast big_smile

The Babblemeister also wrote:

What about zsh too, anything that stands out after the switch ... good/bad ?

zsh is awesome!

Try it and find out...

#8 2015-04-01 21:59:51

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^Thanks fellow nix tweaker. smile

Have a pile of pdf's about bash scripting, bashism blahblahblah. Lol ... figured summin out about this though, compiling bks on stuff doesn't friggin work, unless ya actually read em ! Dammit !

Vll!

#9 2015-05-27 14:22:03

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

zsh
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

directory searches and man pages plus a very handy spell-correction feature (are you listening Sector11?).

I heard my name and spell checking ... in my dream last night ...

How could I have missed this for so long .. zsh huh .. must have a look see.  Thank you HoaS!

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#10 2015-05-27 22:39:55

cloverskull
#! Junkie

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned oh-my-zsh. I've been using this with zsh for quite some time both on my linux and osx machines.

#11 2015-05-28 07:54:02

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

cloverskull wrote:

That has garnered a rather bad reputation over on the Arch forums due to the number of threads it generates -- it's over-complicated nature can cause strange problems (I've never tried it though)...

#12 2015-05-28 16:05:10

cloverskull
#! Junkie

Interesting. I've had no issues but I should look into that. Thanks.

Board footer