SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-14 19:57:52

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Linux Foundation Begins Clampdown on Torvalds?

This should get CBizgreat! going.  ]:D  I'm in agreement with many of the comments.

http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analy … n-torvalds

Last edited by KrunchTime (2015-03-14 19:58:21)

Linux User #586672
Come and Die -- Kyle Idleman

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-03-14 20:10:55

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Re: Linux Foundation Begins Clampdown on Torvalds?

I can't believe people are so sensitive...

Those kernel developers should spend some time on the Debian forums -- that would thicken their skin up a bit  ]:D

As my Nan used to say:

Sticks & stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me.

#3 2015-03-14 20:33:00

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

They must be a blast at parties.

#4 2015-03-14 20:43:22

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I can't believe people are so sensitive...

It's the times we live in unfortunately.

Linux User #586672

#5 2015-03-14 20:58:23

CSCoder4ever
BL Keyboard Troll

Pretty soon it will be illegal to have high expectations.  roll

#6 2015-03-14 21:12:19

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

^ ...or to be ambitious.  roll

Linux User #586672

#7 2015-03-14 21:48:30

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

A more casual reading of this "code of conflict" idea would leave one thinking it's not a bad idea. A closer look, by someone who has followed along for years, would suggest something else.

It seems to me this is being driven in part by overly sensitive idiots with nothing better to do than complain about other people. We are living in a society where far too many people are prone to be "outraged" over trivial matters, to the point that it dilutes the meaning when dealing something more serious.

If Torvalds does not give these idiots a big middle finger I will. If any "politically correct" types think I should not be saying that, they can have one too.

Have a nice day. big_smile

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by taking the Tor challenge.

#8 2015-03-14 22:06:32

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Anaconda wrote:

If Torvalds does not give these idiots a big middle finger I will. If any "politically correct" types think I should not be saying that, they can have one too.

+1 on that.

Now, I'm gonna be the first one to admit I don't have much of a clue about the Linux Foundation (I just read a few lines on Wikipedia about it), or Linux politics in general, so, if any (or all) of the questions I'm about to ask are just plain stupid, let me know.

1. If, as their name suggest, the Linux Foundation is built around Linux, what gives any of those bozos the right to impose "rules" to Torvalds?

2. What would happen if L.T. wakes up tomorrow, and sends everybody to hell, and goes "You, you and you, are out of the Linux team as of right now, or else I am"?

#9 2015-03-14 23:02:35

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
Anaconda wrote:

+1 on that.

Now, I'm gonna be the first one to admit I don't have much of a clue about the Linux Foundation (I just read a few lines on Wikipedia about it), or Linux politics in general, so, if any (or all) of the questions I'm about to ask are just plain stupid, let me know.

1. If, as their name suggest, the Linux Foundation is built around Linux, what gives any of those bozos the right to impose "rules" to Torvalds?

2. What would happen if L.T. wakes up tomorrow, and sends everybody to hell, and goes "You, you and you, are out of the Linux team as of right now, or else I am"?

Firstly, it's called GNU/Linux...

Secondly, Linus Torvalds doesn't contribute anywhere near as much as you might think and they would get along just fine without him.
http://lwn.net/Articles/590354/

#10 2015-03-14 23:54:14

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I don't think so.

Linux (Listeni/ˈlɪnəks/ LIN-uks[4][5] or, less frequently used, /ˈlaɪnəks/ LYN-uks)[5][6] is a Unix-like and mostly POSIX-compliant[7] computer operating system assembled under the model of free and open-source software development and distribution. The defining component of Linux is the Linux kernel,[8] an operating system kernel first released on 5 October 1991 by Linus Torvalds.[9][10] The Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to describe the operating system, which has led to some controversy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

About contributions:

Torvalds continues to direct the development of the kernel.[43] Stallman heads the Free Software Foundation,[44] which in turn supports the GNU components.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux#Current_development

My question is, to make it more specific: I don't know the conditions of the kernel's license. Could Torvalds wake up tomorrow and tell Stallman et al to go to hell, and not allow them to use the Linux kernel anymore?

#11 2015-03-14 23:55:18

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I don't think so.

Is to.

EDIT: To clarify -- the kernel is called "Linux", the operating system is called "GNU/Linux"

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-03-15 00:01:37)

#12 2015-03-14 23:59:08

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:

My question is, to make it more specific: I don't know the conditions of the kernel's license. Could Torvalds wake up tomorrow and tell Stallman et al to go to hell, and not allow them to use the Linux kernel anymore?

The kernel is licensed under GPL2 (so called "copyleft") which means the Mr. Torvalds can have no "control" over the source code at all -- it can be freely forked with the only restriction being that the code must always remain free (as in speech).

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel … ee/COPYING

#13 2015-03-15 00:33:56

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Uh, too bad for L.T., then. They're gonna end separating him from his own project. sad

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

EDIT: To clarify -- the kernel is called "Linux", the operating system is called "GNU/Linux"

Now that confuses me.

I thought (and am now starting to thing I've been dead wrong all this time) that "distros" were the "operating systems", and were based on the Linux kernel. So that brings me to a different set of questions:

1. Is there a distro called "GNU Linux"?

2. Are distros like Debian, or Fedora, based on the Linux kernel, or on the GNU LInux distro/OS?

#14 2015-03-15 00:49:42

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Distributions are collections of packages (and package-managers) that all use the GNU/Linux operating system as their base.

#15 2015-03-15 01:05:54

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Ohhhh... ok.

So that means I could (I mean, if I had a clue what I'm doing wink) install GNU/Linux in my computer, without the need to run any distribution?

#16 2015-03-15 01:07:10

Head_on_a_Stick
CatMod

Yes, that's what Linux From Scratch is all about.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

#17 2015-03-15 01:14:58

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Thank you HoaS. smile
I already have the ebook. Tried to give it a read some time ago. One thing is very clear: I still have a lot of learning to do... tongue

#18 2015-03-15 01:26:09

pvsage
Internal Affairs

It should be noted that the article linked to by OP is an op-ed piece and not unbiased journalism. O:)  I agree with some points made, especially the pointlessness of the Keanu film reference, but I...well, I'll just echo Torvald's response.  "Let's see how this works."

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:

Uh, too bad for L.T., then. They're gonna end separating him from his own project. sad

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Now that confuses me.

To clarify, the Linux kernel is the blob of code that communicates between applications and the computer hardware (CPU mostly, also GPU, NIC, etc.).  GNU is the utilities developed at Berkeley (RMS being one of the many developers) that make up an operating system using a *nix kernel.  The kernel by itself is of little use to end users, and the operating system can't communicate with the hardware without the kernel.  Ergo, GNU/Linux.

#19 2015-03-15 01:47:06

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:

To clarify, the Linux kernel is the blob of code that communicates between applications and the computer hardware (CPU mostly, also GPU, NIC, etc.).  GNU is the utilities developed at Berkeley (RMS being one of the many developers) that make up an operating system using a *nix kernel.  The kernel by itself is of little use to end users, and the operating system can't communicate with the hardware without the kernel.  Ergo, GNU/Linux.

So... let's see if I got this right.
If we were to compare apples to apples, then, we should compare Windows, for example, to GNU/Linux.
Crunchbang, or now Bunsen Labs, would be a step further, kinda like a fully customized Windows version, if that's possible.
Is that right?

#20 2015-03-15 02:02:45

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ You've got the idea. smile

#21 2015-03-15 02:10:56

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Oooook...! Thank you Pvsage. smile

That's what I love about Linux, and about this forum. You never stop learning.  big_smile

#22 2015-03-15 03:52:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Off topic, but I liked this quote at the end of the article:

Mediocre people are always the most ambitious

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#23 2015-03-15 05:15:12

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

LMAO Krunch ...

Not too worried about it really. Like Linus Torvalds style, 1000%. Forget rainbow, lollipops, teddy bears and odd adult obsessions with ponies or huggin n kissin azzhatz and fektards ! Someones a tard, they deserve/need a boot n their arses, not a friggin hug. Seriously doubt Mr Torvalds gives a chit what they whine about. Tis one of the many virtues of refusing to be a conformist braindead zombie.

A person realizes vast majority of the time in a personal context, what PC zombies or fektardz think about them or what they bytch and whine about, it's retarded nonsense and nothing to waste time paying much attention to, shrugs. big_smile

Can't see anything wrong w someone learning, thus knowing about something. Then continuing on to say what they mean, mean what they say and calling it like it is whether it's controversial, non-pc or etc. Don't doubt Linus if pressed would literally put foot in azz of some fektard(z).

Lol ... HOAS, NOBODY worth a hell probably spends overmuch time in Debian's forum. It's crawling w azzhatz and fektardz. Sheesh briefly started participating in it a couple yrs ago, stopped cuz it was already a crappy community, thought couldn't get much worse and recently popped back up there while researching uefi-gpt deal, nope ... admit @ least imo it's gotten MUCH worse.

Got a mod warning about flaming azzhatz, for flaming me or peeps I like participating there. Told them to stick my member acct in their <censored>. Seems like they won't friggin honor the simple request either. Shrugs ... doesn't matter, not spending anymore time in that FF&FF= ( fud fanatic and fektard fest.)

Unless all the uber l33t users there go back to buntu forum where they belong. Biz isn't going to participate. smile To me, Deb forum appears to be yet another fine example of forum mismanagement too. Doesn't take many azzhatz to ruin a gnu/nix forum, if not squashed and controlled. Just my thoughts on it. The whole few bad Azzapples, spoiling the bunch.

Somewhat related: Do kinda worry what's going to happen when Linus retires though. Hoping he's already got some successors earmarked or a plan to put in place to ensure in hiz absence the Nix kernel doesn't become any bigger of a bs-crapfest than it likely is already.

Dang Krunch ... ya got me fellow nixer ! Arghhhh, biz has been baited ! Arghhhh! Vll!

Viva la Linus Torvalds ! smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-03-15 05:25:40)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#24 2015-03-15 05:59:34

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Plus I think these whiners are being "culturally insensitive" to Mr Torvalds, the guy is Finnish afterall and they have a certain socio-cultural way of expressing themselves. Fairly sure it's pretty common among Finn males, to tell someone who's saying/doing something stupid, simply that they're saying or doing summin stupid. Rather than ohhhhh, well here's a hug, I don't mean to disagree, at all it's a really interesting blahblahblah.

Thusly these people should be ashamed of their crass and socially unacceptable behavior and heartily apologize to Linus for any offense their whining, bytching and moaning may've caused him. big_smile

Are they racist against Finnish peeps !?!?! What about all the Finn's who contribute to open source or the kernel or those among the Nix kernel dev community that approve and all those of us who derive a measure of entertainment when someone does something that causes Mr Torvalds to gently lambaste em ? Lol ...

Always more than one side to a story and of course no matter what's going on whoever wants to can put a spin on it. Good for the goose, good 4 gander. tongue

Viva la Finland !

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2015-03-15 08:37:54)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2015-03-15 08:43:05

nore
>2^9

Shanley Kane didn't express herself in flowery speech in Twitter either, I had to wash my eyes after reading.

CBiz, Linus's directness is not a cultural feature, he is just a bit antisocial by nature. Him claiming it is a cultural feature is a cultural feature, though.  tongue

Board footer