SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#26 2015-02-12 15:02:35

hhh
Cityspeak

Re: Your Openbox session on Debian jessie or sid

I've added steps and links to help build up your system from the bare netiso to the Original Post.

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-12 15:11:40)

bunsenlabs     8)     forum mod squad

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#27 2015-02-12 15:06:04

hhh
Cityspeak

A trick for keeping a unified theme from grub through lightdm-gtk-greeter to the desktop. I set my wallpaper, hide or kill all panels and apps, take a screenshot and name it "wall.png". Then I reference that file in /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf...

[greeter]
background=/home/hhh/Pictures/wall.png
theme-name=hhh
#icon-theme-name=
font-name=Trebuchet MS bold
xft-antialias=true
#xft-dpi=
xft-hintstyle=hintslight
xft-rgba=rgb
#show-indicators=~language;~session;~power
show-indicators=~session;~power
#show-indicators=~power
show-clock=true
clock-format=%l:%M %p          %A, %b. %d
#keyboard=
position=63% 67%
#screensaver-timeout=

That file shows some other options you can set. The theme has to be GTK3 compatible.

To have grub use the same wallpaper, rename the existing symlink /usr/share/images/desktop-base/lines-grub.png and create a symlink to wall.png named lines-grub.png. I know that's a bit hacky, but it's easy!  tongue

I've used Plymouth as well but removed it as it just seems to slow systemd's boot down. By the time Plymouth had loaded, systemd was done and was just waiting for Plymouth to display for a second before starting lightdm.

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-12 15:20:00)

#28 2015-02-13 01:05:46

hhh
Cityspeak

Bunsenfied...
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 01#p418601

I downloaded cb-configs, faenza-crunchbang icons and crunchbang-wallpapers from...
http://packages.crunchbang.org/waldorf/pool/main/

Make sure hidden files/folders are visible so you can copy .conkyrc and the tint2 folder from cb-configs to the appropriate locations. Switch system fonts to Andale mono and Liberation Sans. I GIMPed up the velvet-noise wallpaper to make it darker and added some of damo's Bunsen artwork with my own touch. Faenza dark icons shown here.

Where did the custom Iceweasel homepage go to? Is that no more since waldorf went with chromium?

A settings glitch happened between openbox and xfwm4 when I added a second workspace. I had to set both to the same number/names of workspaces to work around it.

I modified Deb8 with crunchbang colors. The openbox and xfwm4 themes are Philip's. I see now that there's another openbox and xfwm4 theme in the waldorf-ui-themes package, so I want to check those out before I upload the themes. I'll upload the wallpaper at that time.

I can't think of anything else right now.

#29 2015-02-13 01:27:03

hhh
Cityspeak

The other themes seem the same, so here's the link...
https://dl.orangedox.com/RuXGJe2HMwfQGr … sen.tar.gz

I hadn't set user-dirs.dirs up properly for that screenshot, hence no emblems on the home folder icons. Let me know if there's a problem in the the themes tar.gz or if there are other issues. Thanks!

-edit- Updated the theme with fixes and added some wallpapers. Please check them out! See the new BunsenLabs forum section to comment/complain.

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-18 18:31:02)

#30 2015-02-13 12:09:30

Kuno
#! Die Hard

Thanks for that theme. Works fine for me! But since it was still a bit too bright for my eyes, i dared to fiddle around a bit, to make it darker. I just replaced the gtkrc in the "gtk-2.0"-folder with one from an old waldorf-theme. Which results in active tabs i.e in pcmanfm (which i prefer to thunar...) being darker, just as i like it.
In the screenie lxappearance-preview on the right shows Deb8-Bunsen, while the big pcmanfm window shows what i've called BunsenDark.

2015_02_13_1423826312_scrot.jpg

Link

For those willing to try, here Phillip's old gtkrc: http://pastebin.com/gDFpXZWb

#31 2015-02-13 13:23:54

Time
#! Member

#32 2015-02-13 14:39:38

Sector11
#!'er to BL'er
Website

^  Ubuntu PPA - not recommended for Debian.

See: #! FAQ #5 in my sig.

·  ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓   ↓  ·
BunsenLabs Forums now Open for Registration
·  ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑   ↑  · BL ModSquad

#33 2015-02-13 19:46:22

hhh
Cityspeak

hhh wrote:

Where did the custom Iceweasel homepage go to? Is that no more since waldorf went with chromium?

I'd assumed this was a user file set by Philip in the ~/.mozilla directory, but I see that it's actually online...
http://crunchbang.org/start

Will surely go the way of the dodo at some point, though.

#34 2015-02-13 19:47:51

hhh
Cityspeak

@Kuno, thanks for checking it out. That color scheme you posted is the one I used, I just reduced the pallette a bit (menu background, for instance). It's farther down in the gtkrc file where tab handling is set. Use what works for you though.

@Time, thanks for the link. Even though I'm all about that GUI 'bout that GUI no text file, that deb is old and those functions are self-evident in lightdm.conf and lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf, plus what Sector said.

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-13 19:49:35)

#35 2015-02-14 02:24:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

I modified Deb8 with crunchbang colors. The openbox and xfwm4 themes are Philip's.

Thank you! With your permission, I'll use that in Wally.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator    BunsenLabs

#36 2015-02-14 05:33:35

hhh
Cityspeak

^Of course! Let me know what issues you find. Cheers.

#37 2015-02-14 06:04:16

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^none so far. It looks very nice, and just like Waldorf, to my eyes at least. I'll edit the how-to to use it instead of Greybird.

John
--------------------

#38 2015-02-14 06:22:19

hhh
Cityspeak

johnraff wrote:

It looks very nice, and just like Waldorf, to my eyes at least.

The key points, other than they're built off of different themes and so tabs/buttons/checkboxes, etc... may or may not be different, are...

• GTK2 and GTK3 have the same color scheme (unlike Waldorf, for some reason), and all the hex codes are at the beginning of the files so it's easy to customize the palette

• Reduced palette (menus have a different shade in Waldorf, for instance)

• Slightly wider scrollbars, and noticeably lighter (I could easily correct the first change, maybe the second, it's damn hard to match GTK2/3 scrollbar colors)

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-14 06:27:20)

#39 2015-02-15 23:26:05

hhh
Cityspeak

I've made a few updates to the theme (click  the original link)...

~Renamed it Bunsen1
~Added a missing file in GTK3 that was causing an error message
~Fixed GTK3 button padding in dialog windows (the bottom border was getting cut off on some buttons)
~Tabbing through those same buttons should now be more visible
~Some subtle lightdm improvements
~The level meter a.k.a. progress bar in the notification theme wasn't very visible, now it's better.
~Darker scollbars for better visibility

HTH

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-16 00:07:17)

#40 2015-02-16 00:52:54

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Great stuff hhh! I can justify putting it in Wally because it's so like Waldorf. cool

I hope The Man has got his eye on this, or possibly a colour-tweaked version of it, for inclusion in BunsenLinux.

John
--------------------

#41 2015-02-16 04:26:04

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Eeyup.

I'm feeling really ambivalent over Adwaita. hmm  Older versions, you could tweak the colors by simply including the engine in {theme}/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and throwing a new palette at it; now, modified Adwaita themes use an odd gtk.contained.css that includes boilerplate about god killing a kitten every time you use a wildcard. roll  (The dark engine took colors better than the light one, but I guess that is irrelevant unless Gnome brings back the capability.)

@hhh:  As I posted in johnraff's thread, I like both Bunsen1 and crunchy-dark-grey for BunsenLabs.

#42 2015-02-16 07:43:49

damo
#! gimpbanger

What is the thinking about which theme engines to include? Does it make sense to stick with heavily-developed ones to reduce gtk breakages after upgrades?

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#43 2015-02-16 08:46:01

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Even the heavily-developed themes like greybird are going to break if there are future upgrades to gtk3.  With Bunsen1/Deb8 and crunchy-dark-grey, at least we have a direct line to the developer.

#44 2015-02-16 11:10:42

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hhh wrote:

Which original link?  The one in the Deb8 thread?

#45 2015-02-16 11:24:51

Kuno
#! Die Hard

pvsage wrote:
hhh wrote:

Which original link?  The one in the Deb8 thread?

Link on this page, Post #29.

#46 2015-02-16 11:33:59

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Previous page for me (custom page breaks - at one point, it was common for over 30 posts to hit a thread before I had a chance to scan them).  Thanks for the post reference!

#47 2015-02-16 16:05:39

hhh
Cityspeak

Thanks for the clarification, Kuno, I was asleep.  tongue

re: theme engines, Greybird no longer requires the Unico theme engine for GTK3, so just gtk2-engines-murrine is required for the derivatives I've made.

jessie will release with GNOME/GTK3 version 3.14 (the most recent, right?) I'm thinking that jessie will not upgrade to a newer version of gkt3, since that's not how stable goes. If someone backports a newer version, I'll cross that bridge.

-edit- Actually, the themes still work without the murrine engine, afaik, they just look flatter.

-edit 2- GAH!!! NO! DON'T REMOVE MURRINE! YES IT WORKS, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS AN UGLIER THEME THAN REDMOND UNTIL NOW!

Last edited by hhh (2015-02-16 16:11:44)

#48 2015-02-16 16:29:31

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy
Website

hhh wrote:

jessie will release with GNOME/GTK3 version 3.14 (the most recent, right?) I'm thinking that jessie will not upgrade to a newer version of gkt3, since that's not how stable goes. If someone backports a newer version, I'll cross that bridge.

Currently 3.14 is the newest, yes. 3.16 will come in March.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#49 2015-02-16 19:43:26

pvsage
Internal Affairs

hhh wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, Kuno, I was asleep.  tongue

re: theme engines, Greybird no longer requires the Unico theme engine for GTK3, so just gtk2-engines-murrine is required for the derivatives I've made.

Didn't Wheezy start with 3.2 at release, eventually getting to 3.6 before Debian put the brakes on it in that release?

-edit- Actually, the themes still work without the murrine engine, afaik, they just look flatter.

-edit 2- GAH!!! NO! DON'T REMOVE MURRINE! YES IT WORKS, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS AN UGLIER THEME THAN REDMOND UNTIL NOW!

Yes, Raleigh is uglier than Redmond.  I live there. lol

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#50 2015-02-17 16:49:02

Kuno
#! Die Hard

Regarding gtk3-apps: In sid both file-roller and evince (3.14) don't adopt my openbox themes anymore. So today - to see what happens - i installed the rebranded mate-versions of above progs, engrampa and atril.
Bingo: i've got a consistent theming again throughout all applications.
Engrampa and atril pulled in just a few mate dependencies - on the other hand after removing file-roller and evince synaptic showed 36 packages (nearly 50mb) as obsolete. Biggest mate-package was mate-icon-theme, but that can be removed past installation (or install with apt-get ... --no-install-recommends).
So í'll keep this. Btw.: xarchiver always seemed a bit buggy to me, so i'm glad to have file-roller back...

EDIT: Just did the same thing on my home pc... Removing mate-icon theme past install is possible with engrampa.  When installing atril, the control file of the deb has to edited to remove mate-icon-theme as dependency. I did that with johnraff's deb file editor script: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=38967

@johnraff: Thanks for that, works a treat! smile

Last edited by Kuno (2015-02-17 18:15:40)

Board footer