SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#326 2015-02-10 15:15:15

Barnabyh
#! Die Hard
Website

Re: The end.

^ Oh yes, and it's tracking Slackware Current so you always keep fresh and Stable, because there aren't so many updates. Really quite conservative which is a good blend for stability's sake.

Last edited by Barnabyh (2015-02-10 15:15:59)

From ArchBang to SlackBang | Project SlackBang

Say no to bugs. - It's not a bug, it's a worm.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#327 2015-02-10 16:07:16

nightlight

When I was finally brave enough to drop Windows and try Linux, I tried so many clunky, ugly, and dysfunctional distros that I almost gave up -- and then I stumbled on #! and it was love at first sight! Thank you so much for all your hard work, Phil, and I wish nothing but the best for you and your family in the future.

#328 2015-02-10 16:59:24

Time
#! Member

Total number of registered users: 15,030
Total number of topics: 34,665
Total number of posts: 408,890
Guests online: 350

Great!  smile

#329 2015-02-10 18:09:15

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

spacex wrote:

But no rush. If you upgrade Waldorf to Jessie, or pick this image which is already upgraded, then Crunchbang should last as long as Jessie exists...https://www.dropbox.com/sh/77scm69d7er9 … 65-va?dl=0

what all has been done to that image?

did you remove the preferences file and fully dist-upgrade to jessie, etc???

#330 2015-02-10 19:54:51

doxanthropos
#! Member

How sad, that #! is at it's end. It is a great distro that has shown me the kind of operating system configuration that I like since I first saw it. Like many others here, my usage of Linux in the future will be greatly influenced by my experience with #!.

Thank you very much Corenominal for your great work and not the least for your great taste.

#331 2015-02-10 19:56:08

dbvolvox
#! CrunchBanger

spacex wrote:

But no rush. If you upgrade Waldorf to Jessie, or pick this image which is already upgraded, then Crunchbang should last as long as Jessie exists...https://www.dropbox.com/sh/77scm69d7er9 … 65-va?dl=0

Steady on folks!!!! Lets not all rush at once.

Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

#332 2015-02-10 20:17:00

boromeus
#! Junkie

dbvolvox wrote:
spacex wrote:

Steady on folks!!!! Lets not all rush at once.

Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

I also wanted to download it, but it's throwing the same error message every time. sad

You could (please) try this instead: http://www.filedropper.com/ (no registration needed)

#333 2015-02-10 21:34:14

ex0

the community needs to take matters into their own hands,the class distribution may not exist.

#334 2015-02-10 21:38:17

snowpine
#!-a-roo

That Jessie ISO is pretty slick. Proof the work of Corenominal will live on. smile

Last edited by snowpine (2015-02-11 00:57:22)

/hugged

#335 2015-02-10 22:19:25

sagesparrow
#! CrunchBanger

So sad to hear the news.  But I'll echo what so many others have said and many more feel:  Thank you, Corenominal (or do we now just call you Phillip?).  It's been a great time.  I came as a "refugee" from the Windows universe, having stopped for a bit in Ubuntu world.  I've learned so much about OS's in general and, as others have said, the community around #! is a testament to the affection we all have to the distro. 
Best of luck with all future endeavors.

#336 2015-02-10 23:02:07

zephyr
#! Member
Website

screenshot-02102015-045058pm.php

@ SpaceX: This is my Debian openbox distro, I have found that it is quite easy to add openbox to Debian Testing by simply using apt-get, either by terminal or synaptic and install openbox, fbmenu, as starters, and logout and check openbox @ the log-in screen. Add the  next few apps like lxappearance, and nitrogen. It is really all quite easy and I think a lot of Crunchbang users might take this route. I also took Crunchbang to Sid about a year ago, and commented out "waldorf". Hasn't even burped or given me not a single error. Am I correct to believe I can continue using Crunchbang since it is basicly now a Debian distro. -zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2015-02-10 23:04:41)

ZephyrLinux/Star/VSIDO/ #!/Devuan

#337 2015-02-10 23:12:02

altman
#! Member

nice work in there Zephyr .

Last edited by altman (2015-02-10 23:12:25)

HP Pavilion DV7-Notebook Intel i7-2670QM #/Jessie

#338 2015-02-10 23:12:47

synkka_maan

Thank you for everything Corenominal, and to the wider #! community.

Even after I have left #! behind, I will always keep a backup of it, so that I will only settle on a distro that is as equally satisfying to operate.

#! is a small and proud part of who I am.

#339 2015-02-11 00:01:31

spacex
ew
Website

AnInkedSoul wrote:
spacex wrote:

what all has been done to that image?

did you remove the preferences file and fully dist-upgrade to jessie, etc???

Yes

Regards,
spacex/ew
http://tweaklinux.org

#340 2015-02-11 00:16:20

spacex
ew
Website

zephyr wrote:

http://www.zimagez.com/miniature/screenshot-02102015-045058pm.php

@ SpaceX: This is my Debian openbox distro, I have found that it is quite easy to add openbox to Debian Testing by simply using apt-get, either by terminal or synaptic and install openbox, fbmenu, as starters, and logout and check openbox @ the log-in screen. Add the  next few apps like lxappearance, and nitrogen. It is really all quite easy and I think a lot of Crunchbang users might take this route. I also took Crunchbang to Sid about a year ago, and commented out "waldorf". Hasn't even burped or given me not a single error. Am I correct to believe I can continue using Crunchbang since it is basicly now a Debian distro. -zephyr

Sure. Nothing is better than people doing it for themselves. This ISO I made for myself. Providing me with a excellent starting point without having to do the tedious dist-upgrade every time I started fresh. I made this ISO  before I knew that Crunchbang would end so suddenly. But I had in mind that Crunchbang could end, and would secure myself with a working Waldorf-image.

I didn't at all expect that it would generate so much traffic that the public link was disabled by Dropbox. Totally caught by surprise, but are now experimenting with another filehost to find something that will not only cover the sharing of this ISO, but many more ISO's. Only problem is that my upload speed are very limited..., it's 10 % up now(74 Kb/sec) ..., and I don't know what bandwidth they will grant me. We'll see if I have to upgrade to a paid plan. I most certainly will have to do that for my future needs.

Regards,
spacex/ew

#341 2015-02-11 00:32:41

remard

hello spacex , just want to say that i did download your image before the place get jam ...i guess my guts-feeling  was on the spot for this one smile but annyway my question is ...how do i use this iso ...do i have to do a fresh install or can i just upgrade my setup ...is it even possible , i don't know i'm clueless about it , i just knew i add to download it ...probably cause i'm a iso junky .

#342 2015-02-11 00:39:30

remard

zephyr wrote:

http://www.zimagez.com/miniature/screenshot-02102015-045058pm.php

good job there , i'll keep that in mind , mabe when i get my new tower or when i put up one myself ( yheaaaaaaa right ), i already have the latest 10 dvd iso from debian .....but i still like my holdcrunchybang tower ...i will keep it alive as much as i can ...and eventually mabe take the big move and get to the debian land , will see :0

#343 2015-02-11 01:15:36

spacex
ew
Website

snowpine wrote:

That Jessie ISO is pretty slick. Proof the work of Corenominal will live on. smile

The problem with a torrent is that my upload speed sucks, so if someone with a better upload speed creates a torrent of their own, it probably is better. Feel free to do as you please with it. But here is a torrent. First time I ever created a torrent, so not sure it will work smile

https://app.box.com/s/n9dnckbaeq1dmp3z2ekq5n58tofcnyyu

Anyway, if a couple of people are trying to download trough me as the only seeder, then expect a couple of days before you have the image. My DSL-line sucks. Not possible to get a upload speed above 75 Kb/sec, and while I'm using all that to upload the ISO to my new filehost(MEGA), then it could take weeks before anyone gets a completed image from my torrent wink

Edit: NEW TORRENT - Hopefully this work better. The trackers have stopped working on the last one smile
https://mega.co.nz/#F!plZzGLqD!7zTbsFJNwdx6JGj9lXvyWA

Last edited by spacex (2015-02-14 02:58:06)

Regards,
spacex/ew

#344 2015-02-11 04:16:04

zephyr
#! Member
Website

spacex wrote:
snowpine wrote:

The problem with a torrent is that my upload speed sucks, so if someone with a better upload speed creates a torrent of their own, it probably is better. Feel free to do as you please with it. But here is a torrent. First time I ever created a torrent, so not sure it will work smile

https://app.box.com/s/n9dnckbaeq1dmp3z2ekq5n58tofcnyyu

Anyway, if a couple of people are trying to download trough me as the only seeder, then expect a couple of days before you have the image. My DSL-line sucks. Not possible to get a upload speed above 75 Kb/sec, and while I'm using all that to upload the ISO to my new filehost(MEGA), then it could take weeks before anyone gets a completed image from my torrent wink

@SpaceX: I don't know if Philip knew that the sudden death would generate so much confusion, but it has. I started Linux about a year and few months ago, but readily picked up upon a lot of the need to know stuff right here on the #! forum. I Used the Debian Testing net install, choosing LXDE as the desktop, seems to be best for openbox. For what ever reason, fluxbox likes xfce with lxde core, not sure why.  I don't use a preference file in ~/etc/apt, seems most all new distro's don't use the file and preference numbering.  I like open and fluxbox a great deal, Kde and Gnome are not heavy on the resouces, and that also adds problems. Simplicity, miminalistic is my liking, and have generated most of my Linux time learning these two. I use cb-exit which works fully with my Debian distro, I will have to locate where I found a group of cb-files which are in Debian packages that are installed by gDebi.  I will wait a bit before I attempt to use my downloaded torrent from your site, when I do I will use my machine to seed the torrent. I also have installed openbox on VSIDO, works very well, it is about a 450mb iso. Siduction is another great distro for openbox or fluxbox. I currently use Aptosid for fluxbox, I got six hard drives and play around with openbox and fluxbox constantly, Blackbox too.  I will be happy to post my startup file, menu, script if anyone needs it. Thanks -zephyr

#345 2015-02-11 04:20:20

zephyr
#! Member
Website

altman wrote:

nice work in there Zephyr .

Thank you Altman, seems we all need to get together and help out keeping this very special distro alive in some capacity. Thank you for the compliment. -zephyr

#346 2015-02-11 04:41:15

zephyr
#! Member
Website

screenshot-02102015-103748pm.php

Openbox built upon VSIDO, added lxde-core as well. Works great, very lightweight. Installs in under 4 minutes. -zephyr

#347 2015-02-11 07:05:27

zephyr
#! Member
Website

Since everyone is grieving over #! and haven't slept or eaten in days Being just a bit silly. Looking for a name for the resurrection of Crunchbang from the dead, how about Zombiebang?

#348 2015-02-11 13:24:56

orionthehunter
#! Constellation
Website

Thanks for all the fish.... I mean scripts.

Best wishes in all of your future endeavors!

#349 2015-02-11 20:38:52

Pi
#! Member

Hi Philip,
I've been using #! for a long time now on and off, and I want to thank you for how much effort you put into it. It's been my go-to for years for old and even some new machines, and has always served me (and my mom on her thinkpad) very well.

Toadsworth on #crunchbang

Be excellent to each other!

#350 2015-02-11 22:08:28

percivjr

I came here tonight to download Waldorf again to replace Statler on a laptop, following a similar exercise a few weeks ago on my old netbook. I was shocked at the sad news.

I looked back at my first post: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. … 940#p75940 in 2010.  I noted that I've made a total of 2 posts in all that time, so a bit of a leech really. However I have been spreading the word and installed CB on several friends' PCs.

Sincere thanks and best wishes for the future to all those involved with CB.

I don't know where the sentiments of this saying originated but it's certainly fitting: "The world will get by without Crunchbang, but I'm not sure it will be a better place".

I do hope that the essence of CB will continue in some form in the future. "The King is dead, long live The King!".

Board footer