SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-01-26 23:45:34

Sessiolog

Sorry, I can't speak Linux

Hi. This is a whiny post from an angry guy who is too dumb to use #! or any other Linux-destribution. If you think that Linux is the best, this post isn't for you.

- I installed #! via USB-stick on my laptop some days ago
- Since then my main-pc cant recognize this USB-stick
- Need this USB-stick for various other reasons
- Searched for help in internet
- Found a lot of complaining about similar problems
- Followed every guide I found
- Nothing helps
- USB-stick is still invisible for Ubuntu (main-pc)
- plugged USB-stick in Laptop with freshly installed #!
- #! recognized USB-stick but refused to delete anything of the content on USB-stick because it is "read-only"
- Tried a lot of stuff to change permissions
- Everything failed.
- *Ragequit*
- Shutdown laptop
- Some hours later, I tried it again
- Can't login
- #! simply shows a cross-sign instead of a mouse symbol
- *sigh*
- Reinstall this shit
- Can login again but USB-problem is still there
- The next day I visited a friend with Windows-pc
- Plugged in the USB-stick
- Windows "saw" the USB-stick
- Windows formatted USB-stick for me without asking permissions and shit.
- Windows was able to solve a problem within seconds.
- "finally!"

Why do things on Linux always have to be this complicated? I am not a Computer expert. I need a computer to get stuff done not to get involved in computer science. Linux tries to do science with me just because I wanted to delete the content of an USB-Stick.

Just needed to write out my thoughts. Sorry for bad grammar.

Last edited by Sessiolog (2015-01-26 23:52:32)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2015-01-26 23:52:38

damo
#! gimpbanger

Re: Sorry, I can't speak Linux

Sessiolog wrote:

- Windows formatted USB-stick for me without asking permissions and shit.

Yeah, what a great secure OS it is  ]:D

EDIT: Did you check if the usb stick was mounted?  You need to unmount it before trying to reformat. Unless you do it on a win box, of course.

Last edited by damo (2015-01-26 23:56:52)

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#3 2015-01-26 23:55:58

vic
#! by Default

Who needs permissions? Root rules!  ]:D

Time to move on!#

#4 2015-01-27 00:05:31

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@OP:  Linux isn't for everyone.

If by "this USB-stick" you mean the one you used as your install media, then of course it would be read-only.  In any Linux distro, you should have been able to reformat it using the GParted GUI utility.  (In CrunchBang, you can access this from the richt-click menu under System.)  It's not "science"; you just need to be root - or acting as root - to format a disk drive.

@damo, vic:  Everyone has a bad day every now and then.  Looks like OP just needed to vent.

#5 2015-01-27 00:09:49

Sessiolog

Did you check if the usb stick was mounted?

Yes I did. USB-stick was mounted. Still invisible on Ubuntu and unchangable on #! even after remounting.

#6 2015-01-27 00:23:35

Sessiolog

In any Linux distro, you should have been able to reformat it using the GParted GUI utility

I already tried to solve the problem with GParted. It encountered a problem. "invalid partition table" or something like this. USB-Stick was invisible in GParted both on #! and Ubuntu. I gave up at this point because Linux -once again- created problems while creating problems.

#7 2015-01-27 01:05:39

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Sessiolog wrote:

- #! recognized USB-stick but refused to delete anything of the content on USB-stick because it is "read-only"

Sessiolog wrote:

I already tried to solve the problem with GParted. It encountered a problem. "invalid partition table" or something like this. USB-Stick was invisible in GParted both on #! and Ubuntu.

Your story is inconsistent.  If you got "invalid partition table" (which is normal with install media created using dd) then it wasn't "invisible" to GParted.  (The solution with GParted would have been to "Create Partition Table" under the Device menu.  EDIT: Windows did this for you automatically because it didn't find one and correctly assumed that you wanted to reformat the device.)

I gave up at this point because Linux -once again- created problems while creating problems.

You're just used to the Windows "all users are root" way of doing things.  Nothing wrong with that; most of the business world uses Windows on its desktop.

Last edited by pvsage (2015-01-27 01:09:34)

#8 2015-01-27 01:09:32

olegabrielz
#! Junkie

Hi there Sessiolog smile

The #! installation media only uses 739 MB of your USB. Like pvsage just said: Its a read only file system (squashed filesystem) that only appear as unallocated space in programs as Gparted. If you want to use the usb as both #! installation media and a mountable storage you have two options:

1. Create a #! installation usb with the dd command as described here. Then add a new partition with fdisk (/dev/sdb as an example):

sudo fdisk /dev/sdb

Write n to create a new partition. Write w to write the table to disk. Then make the filesystem:

sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb2

or:  (if you want to access the usb on windows machines also)

sudo mkfs.ntfs -f /dev/sdb2

Now you have #! installation media plus an empty partition on the rest of your usb smile

2. Create an installation media with persistence as shown here.

Both these options will give you access to use the usb as a storage and an installation medium.

Last edited by olegabrielz (2015-01-27 01:38:01)

#9 2015-01-27 02:12:39

Inodoro Pereyra
#! Die Hard

Hello Sessiolog. Welcome to the forum. smile

First of all, let me tell you I've been griping about the same stuff for a long time. Yes, definitely, there are some things that are unnecessarily complicated in Linux. Not all of them, though.

But, for what I read in your original post, you seem to be getting ready to ditch Linux altogether, and stick with Windows.
Of course, that's your prerogative, but let me ask you: why not have both? Dual booting Windows and Linux (whatever distribution you may like) is easy, and gives you a chance to learn Linux at your own pace, without having to worry about needing it for work. Then, when you're comfortable with it, you can choose to go 100% Linux, or not.

Linux is about options. Nobody is under any obligation to use it. You CAN use it, if you like, and you're welcomed to do so, but, at the end of the day, it's your decision.

And something I can say about Crunchbang: it's not the easiest Linux distro out there, but, if you're willing to learn, it has the best community , ever. cool

#10 2015-01-27 06:38:42

vic
#! by Default

pvsage wrote:

@damo, vic:  Everyone has a bad day every now and then.  Looks like OP just needed to vent.

We all have bad frustrating days sometimes. Yesterday smoke were coming out of my ears, some of it because of things that normally just works...did not. Some because I did not pay attention to what I were doing. Yes Linux have made me frustrated sometimes, but so does Windows. But in the end it is only computers with a set of "rules" to understand, if possible big_smile But I agree with OP, it is nice to vent sometimes. Great to have this wonderful community who understands to come and blow off some steam to. smile

Time to move on!#

#11 2015-01-27 10:12:37

Rocky
#! Member

@Inodoro Pereyra - great post that reflects my sentiments exactly. I am dual booting windows XP (not safe to use online anymore and PC too old to upgrade to Win7) with linux (which distro depends on what day it is  wink but #! at the minute !)

"All that glisters is not gold"

#12 2015-01-27 12:36:18

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Ummmmm, LinuxMint is somewhere over there on the internet >

< Or that way, poss this ^ way ? Ummmm well, if none of those, then it's definitely somewhere down there V.

Sighs ... for real, try Linux Mint's stuff, if that eludes you too, then yeah you're right ya probably shouldn't ever touch another computer again. smile

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#13 2015-01-27 13:53:17

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Why aren't you using Windows?  It sounds to me like that is the OS you need to be using. Nobody here has a personal investment in which OS you use, so you're not going to hurt anyone's feelings if you wipe out your linux partitions.

And why are you back, CBiz?  I thought you said you were taking a decade away from the forums or something.  Now you're answering questions from people that you were trying to keep from being able to post on the forums?

#14 2015-01-27 14:12:24

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

^ Don't worry about what I'm doing. Go wash yer man-panties and worry about yaself, kay ? Thanks so much. big_smile

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#15 2015-01-27 14:30:13

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

You can't imagine how many people were looking forward to enjoying your self-induced exile.  We threw a party for you in absentia. It was a great party.

Party's over, I guess.

#16 2015-01-27 14:45:59

damo
#! gimpbanger

@schwim

Settle down, eh? You can use pm's instead of public stirring wink

BunsenLabs Group on deviantArt
damo's gallery on deviantArt
Openbox themes
Forum Moderator smile

#17 2015-01-27 15:08:53

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Foiled by the lack of inflection again. I should have used some smilies.

I'm always forgetting the smilies.

#18 2015-01-27 15:10:17

schwim
#! Die Hard
Website

Dammit, forgot again.

smile

There we go.

#19 2015-01-27 15:36:10

damo
#! gimpbanger